Mike and Mike

HARCO186

Mike and Mike this morning talked about the Bills. I know many including myself really don't pay much attention to them, but what they said wasn't too bad. Fat Mike said he would be surprised if Buffalo managed 4 wins this year only because Buffalo lost Poz, Whitner, and Stroud. Buffalo did pick up Barnett, but were so bad last year and such a tough division it would be impressive if they 4. Skinny Mike said he liked the fact that Buffalo hung in there on so many games last year and nothing went their way, that odds say some will go their way this year. He did state if Buffalo looked so bad last year by getting rid of Poz and company they might not be that bad because the team stunk on defense last year it wouldn't matter. Skinny Mike said he can see them getting 5 wins, and of course fat Mike agreed with that and said he give 5 games as well. This is what I took from what was said, now this is what I feel and think of it:

Yes Buffalo did get rid of the above 3, only to make room for younger, stronger talent. Stroud dropped weight so he could move out to end last year. He didn't fit the scheme and is older and now we have Marcell D. who is bigger, faster and stronger. We have Troupe who is no longer a rookie and should be more productive this year. Poz made tackles (155) but 5 yards down field. Not all his fault, but I consider it a trade with Barnett. Whitner to me wasn't that great to begin with and to get rid of him is not that big. Buffalo will be much bigger up front on defense and with most core guys in the second year of a new defense, and a better coaching staff, they will much more improved. Buffalo has Fitz who will be in his second year under Chan and knows the system better and will be improved, will win us a game or keep us in it more. The offensive line is still questionable, but Chan knows how to use the offense so we will be a bit better. I can see the Bills going 8-8 this year and maybe even better.

I found three things interesting:

1. Pozlusny is a 'tackle guy' on one of the worst defenses in the league. Neither Mike bothered to ask WHY, and didn't mention anything other than the vs. the run stats. There was a hint of "how do you miss a player on a terrible defense" from Greeny, but they didn't really look inside the numbers.

2. Cris Carter and this "Miami has more talent" argument... wow. Greeny really embarassed him by bringing up a Fitz for Henne trade offer, and Carter couldn't say he'd do it.. laughable! I was really beside myself not to see Golic there this morning, and instead the biased Cris Carter. UGH.

3. Cris Carter said we don't have strong depth an WR... OK then tough guy, who ARE the other receivers we have? I was SO waiting for that, but of course no one has the cajones to make him provide actual analysis. What a joke again, CC...

Edited by BmoreBills

2. Cris Carter and this "Miami has more talent" argument... wow. Greeny really embarassed him by bringing up a Fitz for Henne trade offer, and Carter couldn't say he'd do it.. laughable! I was really beside myself not to see Golic there this morning, and instead the biased Cris Carter. UGH.

Hahahahaha Chad Henne is a freakin' joke. Always will be. Cris Carter is a goof. Fitz had twice the year Henne had.

3. Cris Carter said we don't have strong depth an WR... OK then tough guy, who ARE the other receivers we have? I was SO waiting for that, but of course no one has the cajones to make him provide actual analysis. What a joke again, CC...

$5 says Cris Carter doesnt know the following names: Donald Jones, David Nelson, and it's doubtful he knows Roscoe Parrish without being told the name. NO doubt in my mind he's never heard the names Naaman Roosevelt or Marcus Easley (To be fair - I wouldn't expect him to know Naaman's).

1. Pozlusny is a 'tackle guy' on one of the worst defenses in the league. Neither Mike bothered to ask WHY, and didn't mention anything other than the vs. the run stats. There was a hint of "how do you miss a player on a terrible defense" from Greeny, but they didn't really look inside the numbers.

I know Chris Carter was a good receiver, but Buffalo is deep with receivers and Carter was wrong. I also feel Carter has man love for the fins. All in all, I think skinny Mike didn't slam the Bills like most would, and he kind of said some decent things like we stuck in there. What he should have said is because we were so close to winning so many, and he did say we should win some of those close ones is they should be much more improved and at least very fun to watch. I highly doubt the Bills get blown out this year, and most if not all will be good games to watch.

We want to be overlooked. It's good motivation plus other teams believe this crap.

PTR

Yes the "we stink" card should be played at all times leading into this season. Golic and Carter probably haven't seen a Bills game in 10 years. Greeney has a little better idea because they play the Jets and he's probably rooting for them to beat another AFC East team. I don't respect or care what they say for the reason stated above. Golic couldn't name you five Bills, Carter is an idiot - cracks me up. I'll never forget Stuart Scott turning to Carter and saying "Tell me what a player is thinking about during pregame of a super bowl" - then Carter who's never played in a super bowl makes something up.

We want to be overlooked. It's good motivation plus other teams believe this crap.

PTR

Promo I agree. Fat Mike did say we got punched in the mouth last year on defense. He was right, but Buffalo needs to be overlooked. It was the Ravens who said they had an easy game with Buffalo, then a bi-week last year and we took them to overtime because they looked at us like a joke. Let it happen again this year. I also feel this gives the Bills players more will to be better because they're looked at like a joke. That is a huge motivation factor.

I thought that both Greeny and Carter were saying that Fitz was better than Henne. Greeny was arguing that overall talent level of Buffalo was better or the same at least. Carter disagreed. Greeny brought Fitz vs. Henne specifically to buttress his point and the way I understood it was not that Carter disagreed on that position but that he still thought the overall talent in Miami was better.

Greeny and Golic have been very critical of the way Miami has handled things: pursuing a head coach while you still had a head coach and then pursuing another quarterback while you still had a quarterback and ultimately not getting the head coach or quarterback. That is why I think Greeny said Miami's franchise is a mess.

I guess I can't expect much specific from national sportscasters, but I thought maybe they would have mentioned Merriman. I was surprised they didn't mention Dareus.

Did my best to transcribe for those that missed it:

Talked about players gained thigpen, smith, barnett but no mention of dareus. Mentioned losing whitner, pp, and stroud.

1. How much will losing pp hurt?

Golic says barnett not the tackler pp is but a good fill in. Says their d was bad and they just lost players ( no mention of draft heavy on d) greeny says while maybe it wasn't bad to lose players from such a bad d.

2. Is fitz the right qb?

Golic doesn't like his completion % and says he likes depth @ wr and fitz isn't bad. Greeny says he's a good example of low expectaions - if he was a first rnd pick he'd be a bust but bc he's from harvard ppl give him a chance.

3. Will they use spiller more in run game?

Golic says yes more of a split. Greeny compares pick to reggie bush as a flashy unneccesary pick and doesn't know why they drafted him and golic agreed.

4. What kind of role will brad smith play?

Golic says same as jets calls him jack of all trade master of none. Greeny calls him special teams ace and says lots of jets fans felt he was underutilized in ny.

5. How many wins?

Golic says they will have a hard time winning as many as last year and greeny defends them saying they we so close in so many games both settle at 5-11 and liams mum goes 8-8.

Afterwards they talk with chris carter and greeny says he could see them surpassing the dolphins and out of the basement and they have more talent then dolphins carter disagrees. Carter somewhat disses the wrs says stevie working into top ten but not much after that but gives fitz a lot of credit. Says their biggest problem is division they play in. Schefter again tweeting lee to be gone soon possibly.

This is exactly what's wrong with the national media and thier view about Buffalo. They obviously didn't do thier homework before talking about it. If they did, they would have noticed that we had 4 wins last year, with 3 losses in OT and the Bears game coming close. And then you have 3 games that Fitz didn't play in. That was with the 30th ranked defense in the league. It is known, by ALL media outlets that we couldn't stop the run last year. Then we picked up the best DL in the draft and an ILB and we picked up Barnett (a starting caliber ILB for a Superbowl winner). At the worst case scenario, it's an even trade for Poz. Then we have Merriman who is healthy at least now and nobody gives any respect his way. The only thing that MIGHT be worst from defense last year is losing Lil Donte, but we all know that's not true.

It's ok though. I listen to all these NYC stations while I'm away at work and they are just as ignorant as us fans are. They actually believe that the Jets were active in FA because they picked up 2 of thier own players went FA in Cromartie and Holmes. They didn't recognize they got worst after losing Smith, Edwards and Jenkins. They've done nothing to better themselves except take a a flyer on a old Plaxico that has been in prison for the last 2 years and nobody knows what kind of shape he's in. Oh wait, it's gonna be a while to find out too because he's already getting nicked up.

It's all ok. I'd rather be the team nobody is thinking about than the loud mouth Jets that every dumb ignorant New Yorker things is going to win the Super Bowl every year. When was the last time they went?????? Oh yeah! Joe Namath took em there in the 3rd Superbowl.

F@&K Mike and Mike!!!

PTR

Believe what crap? That the Bills will win somewhere around 5 games this year? I'd say that's pretty accurate - they'll win 4-6 games. How on earth anybody could think differently I have no idea. Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll surprise the hell out of people and make the playoffs but I have to see it to believe it.

A large portion of posters here were criticizing the "experts" last year in the pre-season saying they didn't know anything. Yet at the end of the season those uninformed "experts" ended up knowing a lot more than those posters - just like they have for a decade.

After a decade of futility I'm not getting my hopes up until they prove it on the field. I'll order Sunday ticket, root for them every week (likely getting angry more often than jubilant) yet If I had to pick which one was more likely: Bills make the playoffs or Bills have the first pick in the draft I'd go with the latter.

Believe what crap? That the Bills will win somewhere around 5 games this year? I'd say that's pretty accurate - they'll win 4-6 games. How on earth anybody could think differently I have no idea. Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll surprise the hell out of people and make the playoffs but I have to see it to believe it.

How on earth are we going to win the same amount of games with an improved team and considering that we lost FIVE of our close games last year that we gave away?

This is most certainly not the Bills of the mid 1980's... the only truly gaping negative that continues is the Pats dominance over the Bills, a streak that should have ended had it not been for Leodis.

This is exactly what's wrong with the national media and thier view about Buffalo. They obviously didn't do thier homework before talking about it. If they did, they would have noticed that we had 4 wins last year, with 3 losses in OT and the Bears game coming close. And then you have 3 games that Fitz didn't play in. That was with the 30th ranked defense in the league. It is known, by ALL media outlets that we couldn't stop the run last year. Then we picked up the best DL in the draft and an ILB and we picked up Barnett (a starting caliber ILB for a Superbowl winner). At the worst case scenario, it's an even trade for Poz. Then we have Merriman who is healthy at least now and nobody gives any respect his way. The only thing that MIGHT be worst from defense last year is losing Lil Donte, but we all know that's not true.

It's ok though. I listen to all these NYC stations while I'm away at work and they are just as ignorant as us fans are. They actually believe that the Jets were active in FA because they picked up 2 of thier own players went FA in Cromartie and Holmes. They didn't recognize they got worst after losing Smith, Edwards and Jenkins. They've done nothing to better themselves except take a a flyer on a old Plaxico that has been in prison for the last 2 years and nobody knows what kind of shape he's in. Oh wait, it's gonna be a while to find out too because he's already getting nicked up.

It's all ok. I'd rather be the team nobody is thinking about than the loud mouth Jets that every dumb ignorant New Yorker things is going to win the Super Bowl every year. When was the last time they went?????? Oh yeah! Joe Namath took em there in the 3rd Superbowl.

F@&K Mike and Mike!!!

To play Devil's Advocate:

-Winners/Good teams win those OT/close games.

-Fitzpatrick, while better than Edwards, is a statistically below average QB.

-We have a rookie DE, he hasn't played a game yet.

-Both Merriman and Barnett are coming off of injuries, Barnett is 30. Kelsay is below average, and we have a bunch of no-names for the rest of our LB core.

We obviously want to be optimists about all that... we want to see "but we were close! that counts!" and Fitzpatrick as being awesome, and Merriman/Barnett coming back to full health and playing lights out, and our new DL to be the bee's knees. But c'mon... be realistic. We've gotten worse the last three years in the only area that matters (the record), lets watch some games before getting upset at the national media assuming we suck this year also.

$5 says Cris Carter doesnt know the following names: Donald Jones, David Nelson, and it's doubtful he knows Roscoe Parrish without being told the name. NO doubt in my mind he's never heard the names Naaman Roosevelt or Marcus Easley (To be fair - I wouldn't expect him to know Naaman's).

I wouldn't expect him to know them. Off the top of your head what can you tell me about their NFL exploits?

Regarding those who took offense to Carter saying the fins have more talent...he wasn't talking about a position, he was talking about the team. Henne for the Bearded Wonder would be assinine, but how about we trade them LT for LT? We aren't loaded with talent either, but...we will finish above the fins.

To those exasperated that Greenie offered up one more win...realistically I think 5 wins is where the team will finish. A couple breaks either way and you can add/subtract from that amount. Do i want them to finish 5-11? Hell no, but that's what I see. Do I hope I'm wrong? Hell yes, but we aren't the only team that has improved its roster, and we have one glaring weakness at the tackle positions. That isn't the type of glaring weakness that is easily overcome.

Just my $.02

Funny how no one mentioned the word, "rebuilding." I actually like Mike and Mike. Let's be real, here ... how many (4-12) teams are ranked highly in the pre-season the following year? No talking head is going to come out and say a (4-12) team is going to double its wins. I, however, am.

How in the world do you "evaluate" the Bills D and completely neglect to mention the addition of Dareus, Pro Bowler Williams, an invigorated Merriman, while at the same time spotlighting the "loss" of Marcus Stroud as a negative? If you're going to pontificate, then the least you owe to your viewers is to know the players on the team. Most of the "review" was pre-taped with Mike Golic, who once again proved to be an idiot. And Greenie is too timid to forcefully present his views (he kept trying to make the point that the Bills were "this close" in so many games last year that the law of averages alone suggest they should be better, but allowed himself -- as usual -- to be rolled over by his co-hosts).

But, you know, I kinda like that the major sports "pundits" don't have a clue about Buffalo. It should be fun to watch them sputter in amazement this season as the Bills win far more than anticipated. Anyone for a pool on when the first of these knuckleheads say, "No one saw this coming."