Glad we were 4-12 instead of 5-11 last year.

I'm sort of glad Stevie dropped that ball against the Steelers. The St. Louis Bills Backers were jumping up and down, high fiving each other and going nuts except for one guy who was sitting there saying "he dropped it." So for about 5 seconds we all felt the thrill of victory.

Then we got Dareus. I'd rather have Dareus for the next 8-10 years than a 5th victory last year. At the time I was bummed, but I'm over it. Let's go Buffalo.

I don't believe for one second that the Bills are the worst team in the league right now. Anything can happen. We're a much improved team over last year's.

I'm sort of glad Stevie dropped that ball against the Steelers. The St. Louis Bills Backers were jumping up and down, high fiving each other and going nuts except for one guy who was sitting there saying "he dropped it." So for about 5 seconds we all felt the thrill of victory.

Then we got Dareus. I'd rather have Dareus for the next 8-10 years than a 5th victory last year. At the time I was bummed, but I'm over it. Let's go Buffalo.

I don't believe for one second that the Bills are the worst team in the league right now. Anything can happen. We're a much improved team over last year's.

Yes, there is always a silver lining...

I think the two Nix drafts have laid the foundation for "bad things" man. Both sides of the ball will be fun to watch for once.

Wins are always better than losses, except in retrospect! So, 10 years from now I wonder if we will wish that we lost a few more games this year and had gotten Andrew Luck... Yeah yeah, I know he might not go #1, but I think chances are he will, and chances are that this Bills team will not be the worst in the league. From a long term perspective, I am sorry to say, we would be better off doing badly this year. Go ahead everyone and yell at me. I don't care. I have had enough misery and it won't change until we have a Manning/Rodgers/Rivers at the QB position. Only then do we have a chance at a dynasty.

OK I'll play devils advocate here.

Let's say this year we get in the same situation and throw a bomb to Johnson. He's thinking "man I better catch this one" and drops it again. If he had caught that one against Steelers, then he'd be thinking, "come to papa like you did in the Steelers game last year" and catches it. Success breeds success. Dropping balls and losing breeds dropping balls and losing.

Just win baby !!

Yes, there is always a silver lining...

I think the two Nix drafts have laid the foundation for "bad things" man. Both sides of the ball will be fun to watch for once.

I wonder what our draft position would have been if Stevie caught that pass against Pittsburgh and we finished 5-11?

Ahhh...looked it up. Either 5th, 6th, or 7th depending on other factors including SOS.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

OK I'll play devils advocate here.

Let's say this year we get in the same situation and throw a bomb to Johnson. He's thinking "man I better catch this one" and drops it again. If he had caught that one against Steelers, then he'd be thinking, "come to papa like you did in the Steelers game last year" and catches it. Success breeds success. Dropping balls and losing breeds dropping balls and losing.

Just win baby !!

He'll catch it this time.

every season the team is out of playoff contention early i go thru the same thing on this subject

wins are NOT always better than losses

when the team is bad and the game is on i am rooting for them to win. but once its over and theyve lost i quickly transition to being not at all bothered by the loss and in fact in a very real way glad they did not win

fans will talk about learning to win, establishing a winning culture, ending the season on a high note. those things all have value, but when compared to a better draft position they really pale in terms of benefit

so late in the season when the team has no more chance of acquiring a playoff spot, and of course the game is not on, my motto is and always will be 'just lose baby'

I am a little mixed on the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. It's not that I think he is not talented, he is. It just that if I have learned anything over the last several years its that a high draft ranking does not necessarily equal a great quarterback in the NFL. As it is now, he will probably be the boobie prize for the team that comes in last. I would rather we win as many games as possible.

I am a little mixed on the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. It's not that I think he is not talented, he is. It just that if I have learned anything over the last several years its that a high draft ranking does not necessarily equal a great quarterback in the NFL. As it is now, he will probably be the boobie prize for the team that comes in last. I would rather we win as many games as possible.

I agree. For every Peyton Manning/Troy Aikman/John Elway, there's a Ryan Leaf/Alex Smith/Akili Smith/Tim Couch/JaMarcus Russell/David Carr/Jeff George/Joey Harrington.

There's also the (occasional) Tom Brady (6th round)/Joe Montana (3rd round)/Johnny Unitas (9th round)/Bart Starr (17th round)/Daryle Lamonica (24th round!?!?!)

So the round a team picks a QB in is not nearly as important as how good an evaluator of talent the folks doing the picking are! I have confidence in Nix.

GO BILLS!

I'm glad you said that, because I thought the exact same thing...While I always root for my Bills no matter how bad they are, I didn't necessarily want them to win meaningless games when losing could help improve their future.

IMO Dareus was the best overall player in the draft, and things couldn't have played out better for the Bills (in the draft). To top it off it filled one of our biggest needs.

Some will say win no matter what, yeah yeah...If our season is going to be that bad, my thinking is we might as well get our pick of top talent from it...I think we did

Had we won that game, the board might be full of people crying about Prince Amukamara...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I understand the point here, and take the middle ground. I want them to win every week, no matter what. But after it's over, I am able to appreciate the value of a high draft pick.

That being said, I hope the Bills pick very low indeed next year. :thumbsup:

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

To be completely honest with you guys, reading this topic, no offense, but I want to slap some of you upside the head. I can't even believe this is a debate... you win every game you can, no if's and's or but's. The higher draft pick is only the consolation prize that isn't really worth as much as everyone thinks it is. Wins, even meaningless wins, are much more important, not only because they help establish a winning culture, but also because thats why you play the game... to quote Vince Lombardi "Winning isn't everything... its the only thing"

Everyone knows the draft is a crapshoot, but consider this concerning the draft:

-Most years the quarterback drafted first isn't the best quarterback in that draft. Its a bit early to compare QB's drafted in 2010, but you'd have to go back to Carson Palmer in 2003 to find a year that the best QB was the first QB selected (and look at where that's gotten the Bengals).

-The quarterbacks picked with pick #1 turn out to be busts just as often as they turn out to be good QB's. The last 10 QB's picked #1 are Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, JaMarcus Russell, Alex D. Smith, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, David Carr, Michael Vick, Tim Couch. Only Vick (who's had his troubles), Manning (who the Giants didn't even pick, the Chargers did), Palmer (who's at odds with the Bengals) can be considered successes. Jury's still out on the latest three, but I think Bradford and Stafford are going to be good QB's, while I'm convinced Newton will be a bust (but that's another debate altogether). So that's 3 successes, 4 busts, 3 the jury's still out on. Not great odds if you're the GM with the first pick, when your job security will likely hinge on the success of that one player. Much less pressure picking in the middle of the pack, and the success rate isn't all that different when you consider that guys like Josh Freeman, Joe Flacco and Aaron Rodgers were all picked in the 2nd half of the first round. You can even get guys like Drew Brees, Matt Schaub and Kyle Orton in the 2nd to 4th round, and guys like Matt Hasselbeck, Tom Brady, Matt Cassel and Tony Romo past the 5th round. You guys even got Fitzpatrick who was picked in the 7th round, who hasn't looked too bad, but has been much better than Edwards who was picked in the 3rd round.

-High draft picks are expensive. If they don't work out, they can kill a team's salary cap for years. There often isn't a huge drop off in talent from say pick #5 to pick #25, but pick #25 comes much cheaper and doesn't hurt the team as much financially if he's a bust.

-The last guy that was hyped up as the sure-fire #1 pick as much as Andrew Luck was Reggie Bush. The Texans were smart enough to not buy the hype and take Mario Williams, but the Saints got a very solid 3rd-down running back instead of the unstoppable stud that they thought they drafted.

-All of the successful teams in the league didn't get where they are by picking high in the draft.

Lets just say the Bills ended up 6-10 and picked in the early teens. The Bills very well might have picked Nick Fairley, who's probably the 2nd best DT in the draft behind Dareus. Is there a huge difference between Fairley (I know he's injured now) and Dareus? I bet in a few years time we'll know but nothing is certain. But consider this... would the outlook be brighter coming off a 4-12 season and gaining Dareus or coming off a 6-10 season and gaining Fairley. I'd take the latter 100% of the time.

Edited by Brewcity Cheesehead

I think I'd take a win any time. If you just take a step back and think about it.. we've reached a pretty sad point with our team when we can actually see a loss as a good thing. Plenty of teams have proved that you can find talent anywhere in the draft, not just in the top 5 picks. We can use Dareus as an example but he hasnt even proved anything yet. Who knows, maybe a DT taken in the 5th round ends up being a pro bowler and Dareus ends up as a bust. Maybe Jasper ends up being better than Dareus.

At least when the bills are winning we can enjoy watching the game.. which is what really counts

I agree. For every Peyton Manning/Troy Aikman/John Elway, there's a Ryan Leaf/Alex Smith/Akili Smith/Tim Couch/JaMarcus Russell/David Carr/Jeff George/Joey Harrington.

There's also the (occasional) Tom Brady (6th round)/Joe Montana (3rd round)/Johnny Unitas (9th round)/Bart Starr (17th round)/Daryle Lamonica (24th round!?!?!)

So the round a team picks a QB in is not nearly as important as how good an evaluator of talent the folks doing the picking are! I have confidence in Nix.

GO BILLS!

Would you have taken E. Manning over Rivers?

GO BILLS!

And Unitas was cut by his hometown and hapless Steelers. He was famously playing sandlot football when he was re-discovered.

Wins are always better than losses, except in retrospect! So, 10 years from now I wonder if we will wish that we lost a few more games this year and had gotten Andrew Luck... Yeah yeah, I know he might not go #1, but I think chances are he will, and chances are that this Bills team will not be the worst in the league. From a long term perspective, I am sorry to say, we would be better off doing badly this year. Go ahead everyone and yell at me. I don't care. I have had enough misery and it won't change until we have a Manning/Rodgers/Rivers at the QB position. Only then do we have a chance at a dynasty.

I agree with this. I'd love nothing more than to see the Bills do whatever it takes--whatever it takes--to solve their QB problems once and for all! :angry: If that means a 1-15 season to acquire some Luck, then we as Bills fans should just suck it up and deal with it. In the long run, it's always better to have a franchise QB than to not have one.

Dude! We can't abandon all hope waiting for some savior to come along. There are only a handful of QBs that are that good. They are hard to come by and find. What is easier is spending a few dollars building a great offensive line. Ultimately this is less expensive imo and more versatile. A great offensive line gives you a running game because it can open running lanes and potentially get blockers to the second level. A great offensive line gives your QB extra time to throw. Most NFL QBs when given enough time and comfort in the pocket can dissect a defense.

Building a stifling defense is also easier to do than waiting for a Manning, a Rogers, a Brady or a Rivers. Guys like that only come out once every 3 - 5 years. You also have to have the vision and good fortune to pick the right guy as that guy isn't always the consensus #1 QB in their draft and you aren't going to have the #1 pick in the draft every year anyway. Any QB that is chosen to be THE guy is going to merit 3 to 4 years to see if they are what the organization hoped they would be. If you add it all up and put your eggs in that one basket waiting for the messiah you could be waiting for a VERY long time.

Build a solid TEAM and stop waiting and looking for a savior that will magically put the team on his shoulders and get us a superbowl win. If that guy comes along or becomes available GREAT. In the mean time build a TEAM.

Edited by PDaDdy