Merriman schools and then tutors Wang

JoeF

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/08/09/why-merriman-is-a-team-leader/

Interesting...maybe the line will be better prepared to face a real NFL rush. Kudos to Merriman for taking advantage of a "Teachable moment" with a young OT.

:thumbsup: Well worth our investment in him ... Buddy saw a quality player available and brought him in and then signed him up. Not just for the sake of making a splash with the headline writers by overpaying for a player like Jacksonville did with a certain MLB but carefully examining what the team needs are (He tried to get Clabo but Clabo wanted to stay home.).

This heart warming story is great in fairy land but there is very little NFL level talent on that line and they will be blown up when the games start for real.

+1

Merriman has certainly been looking good, but our real concern is the o-line. While Bell holds his own, I consider him to be only average at best at LT. So when he got hurt I was interested to see if any of our young guys would step up and show something...So far it's been a horror show. While Wood looks good, and Levitre ok, the rest of the line is looking downright awful. Pears, Ubrik, and Wang have all been getting destroyed...All of the sudden the thought of signing even a fat over the hill Mckinnie is starting to sound ok, and Bell is starting to look like a superstar in comparison.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Rocherster Sal Mar..... talking with Joe Buscaglia on WGR about the worrisome status of our OL. He is not saying anything novel about it. But allowing it not to be seriously addressed for a generation is an absurdity in itself. Sal makes an interesting comment about Evans and the Ravens' interest in him.

http://www.wgr550.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5416951

This heart warming story is great in fairy land but there is very little NFL level talent on that line and they will be blown up when the games start for real.

A line with Wang at LT may be. Otherwise, no.

+1

Merriman has certainly been looking good, but our real concern is the o-line. While Bell holds his own, I consider him to be only average at best at LT. So when he got hurt I was interested to see if any of our young guys would step up and show something...So far it's been a horror show. While Wood looks good, and Levitre ok, the rest of the line is looking downright awful. Pears, Ubrik, and Wang have all been getting destroyed...All of the sudden the thought of signing even a fat over the hill Mckinnie is starting to sound ok, and Bell is starting to look like a superstar in comparison.

I had heard Pears was doing OK?

Looking at the cup as half full, it was good to read a couple of times that guys are pouring through on the edge. We have not been exactly known in the past for defensive penetration.

Wanny influence?

I think it's a reflection of better players and better understanding of the 3-4. It's also easier to blow by Wang who's a developmental guy.

Darius is a big upgrade over Stroud (4-3 guy) and Merriman is a BIG upgrade over everyone as long as he's healthy. The rest of our line has Davis healthy, Carrington & Troup are no longer wide-eyed rookies, and of course Kyle is Kyle.

We could be quite a bit better on defense, which could have a significant impact on our record.

Good to hear that, at the very least, a talented veteran like Merriman is taking the time to help some younger guys. The contract we gave him made it a low-risk investment, and if nothing else, this is getting value out of him.

Hope he stays healthy all year and on the field.

I guess I don't understand the steadfast feeling on the part of the FO on this topic. I get it with other positions, young guys need to play. But we have preciouls little talent at OT and zero depth. It needed to be addressed years ago and it's looking like they are not going to address it again. I think "the Hoody" said it best in his book when he talked about "Buffalo's horsesh*t offensive line" as a reason why we can never beat them. DBell is okay, just okay and with nobody behind him that's even close to Okay. Pears is journeyman. Urbik is a question mark. All the gimmick players and scatbacks mean zero without a competent OL and right now it looks as if we wont have one for the upteenth year in a row.