LEFT TACKLE

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bell, never to start again? What?

I'm all for adding an experienced tackle, right or left side, but Bell will be starting at Left OT on 9/11.

I agree ... Bell will be starting in Kansas City, this is a minor tweak but ... somewhere out there we need to find a quality back-up LT because Wang sure does not seem to be the answer.

If the line stays healthy then I am feel really good about the starting five and the depth at guard. Wood has the potential to be a pro-bowl center and Levitre might be joining him there.

With D Bell out at LT and Ed Wang getting schooled in practice it may be wise to Bring in Bryant McKinney for a year even though I am not a big fan of his. If Wang Starts the season our hopes of a good season will go down the tubes.

but but but ....Just give our guys more time to develop!....Wait to see what happens when player X is not coming back from injury this off season...so and so is serviceable and still learning.

Our OT situation is in a really really sad state and it has been for a while. Time to admit that we shouldn't have cut Peters and Walker because whether you liked them or not they were far and away better than what we have now. It's probably too late now but Ralph should have opened the coffers and gotten a couple play off caliber OTs instead of the failing projects we currently have.

Edited by PDaDdy

You got your choice of Bryant Mckinnie, Max Starks, Shawn Andrews, Jared Gaithers, Langston Walker, Herman Johnson and a couple other guys - These guys all have some type of problem (injury, weight, has been,or never was) my guess is out of the 7 or 8 guys maybe one or two will be able to contribute and the rest will just suck up salary and take reps from your younger players- so the question is do you trust this front office even trying to make that pick.

I'm in...sadly, Bell is out--again!

I doubt Bell ever regains his starting position after this injury stint!

Whoa! How do you figure that?

Strained shoulder, he'll be back.

It's not like someone behind him in the depth chart has been revealed as "The Natural".

Although.....I like the reports that Wang got with Merriman after his schoolin' to pick Merriman's brains on what he (Wang) was doing that Shawne was exploiting

1) that's something the Bills have been missing for a long time - someone who IS a pro-bowl caliber player on D, who can not only whup some OL ass in practice, but top-level enough to be able to explain what he was seeing and doing

Bell and Merriman couldn't get that from Maybin.

2) football players being proud guys, shows Wang's depth of committment to get better

Last year, our D was so feeble that I think the OL had a false sense of security going into opening day. Then it was "that's nice, Sonny, but this hear's the fleet."

With D Bell out at LT and Ed Wang getting schooled in practice it may be wise to Bring in Bryant McKinney for a year even though I am not a big fan of his. If Wang Starts the season our hopes of a good season will go down the tubes.

Replacing one inexperienced piece of crap with a more experienced, worn out piece of crap.

PTR

Replacing one inexperienced piece of crap with a more experienced, worn out piece of crap.

PTR

I am reminded of the old saying..."if you have 2 quarterbacks, you don't have one." In this case if you have 6 OTs you don't have one. When did the Bills go from the quality to the quantity approach to fill those spots?

Bell, never to start again? What?

I'm all for adding an experienced tackle, right or left side, but Bell will be starting at Left OT on 9/11.

He probably will, I agree. But, at some point the Bills will have to make a decision whether he is big, strong, or durable enough to be counted on to play this very important position.

He is given a lot of room because he is admittedly quite agile, and he is paid pennies. Bell has enabled the Bills to spend the big bucks on defensive backs, Spiller, etc.

I think that if McKinnie is healthy, they should sign him today.

Jmo.

PTR

Not necessarily. There are many cases of old vets coming off the scrap heap and maintaining solid playing levels. Yes, you always run the risk of getting the next Cornell Green, but that's why Whaley gets paid the big bucks to watch hours of film to minimize that risk. We don't know what these old timers have left in the tank. But we do know that right now Wang or Howard do not belong on an NFL roster as LOTs. That's a mighty gamble Bills are toying with, because it could very well get each QB killed before the season even begins.

I am reminded of the old saying..."if you have 2 quarterbacks, you don't have one." In this case if you have 6 OTs you don't have one. When did the Bills go from the quality to the quantity approach to fill those spots?

If they had the quality they wouldn't need the quantity. The team has ignored the tackle position unless you consider street FAs and low level draft picks as the ultimate solution. Right now we don't have top notch quality at either position and the back-ups are inferior to the starters.

Are you comfortable with that situation?

Not necessarily. There are many cases of old vets coming off the scrap heap and maintaining solid playing levels. Yes, you always run the risk of getting the next Cornell Green, but that's why Whaley gets paid the big bucks to watch hours of film to minimize that risk. We don't know what these old timers have left in the tank. But we do know that right now Wang or Howard do not belong on an NFL roster as LOTs. That's a mighty gamble Bills are toying with, because it could very well get each QB killed before the season even begins.

Conrad Dobler was washed up.

The bottom line is that our O-line is looking like it could be the worst in the league, Bell or not. Wood and Levitre, are starter quality, but the rest of the group is just a big mix of cross your fingers and pray. And that's if everyone is healthy. Fitzpatrick must be shaking in his boots over the pounding he will take this year.

At the very least we should bring someone in to compete, even an old fat one. We need QUALITY starters, but depth at a minimum.

The patriots have loaded up on old, but top level pass rushers. The Jets defense is blitz happy...Our rag tag group of young, struggling players is not going to cut it...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I've had Virginia Tech season tickets since 1993 and IMHO it was clear in college that Wang would never be an NFL left tackle. He (in college) had good technique and good feet, but was susceptible to the bull rush and always had trouble with bigger, stronger players (guys like Merriman).

This year we focused on defense in the draft (probably rightfully so). Next year I assume the plan is to draft offense, including some tackles. So I see nothing wrong with trying to get a year out of an older player like McKinney. Better to have an experienced guy in there than a "never will be" guy at left tackle. At worst, the experienced guy may be able to help Bell get better.

If they had the quality they wouldn't need the quantity. The team has ignored the tackle position unless you consider street FAs and low level draft picks as the ultimate solution. Right now we don't have top notch quality at either position and the back-ups are inferior to the starters.

Are you comfortable with that situation?

Conrad Dobler was washed up.

Funny part is that your link to Gailey's comments is as big of a sign of a coach crapping his pants about the OL situation as you will probably see in the NFL.