Ten Reasons the Bills Won't Suck in 2011

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hondo, one of your points is dead on correct, and it's something I feel very strongly about, as well. There are a LOT of young players on this team who will have the opportunity to grow into better, more productive players this season. I think there will be a couple of folks who will be the next Stevie Johnson, and I'm excited about that. That's partly why I wasn't really expecting a lot of big FA signings...we're committed to growing through the draft, and we need to allow these youngsters to grow up. They have a solid coaching staff to learn from - a coaching staff that I now believe is far better than I initially gave it credit for - and with more playing time and film study I think we'll have some real contributors.

I'm particularly excited about this years draft...I really think we may end up with 3 or 4 solid starters out of that group. Maybe they won't all be up and running this season, but within their first few years I would not be surprised at all to see guys like DaNorris Searcy, Hairston, and the LB from LSU turn into solid starters.

the only thing more disheartening than the constant pessimism of bills fans, is our apparent eternal optimism for the jets franchise.

they suck.

i dont care if they've been to 2 straight conference title games.

the class of the afc is the steelers, patriots, and ravens. other than that, it's wide open.

it's unfortunate that the ravens and steelers are in the same division, but when you put us up against the other teams that will be fighting for the final wild card spot, you gotta like our odds. i think the jets have a better chance of finishing 4-12 than the bills, tbh.

Did you happen to watch the bills games vs the jets last year? I'm not saying they're the class of the afc, but they were MUUUUCH better than us last season. I think we closed the gap some this year with the draft, merriman + Barnett, adding smith and taking them off the jets and potentially thigpen (wait and see how Fitzy does). I'm praying they won't be able to run the ball down our throats again, but until I see us stop them on the ground, they're much better than us.

I'll buy #10.

I chalk #10 as to why the Pittsburgh Pirates and Cleveland Indians are good this year in MLB. Why the Mavericks beat the Heat in the NBA.

It's got to be bored cosmic forces, man.

And...the statute of limitations has officially run out on the Music City MiracleForward Lateral.

Fixed

Here's mine. Bills finally learn how to win close games at the end. They shed the "hard to play, easy to beat" moniker. Even with the lack of talent and coaching last year we still lost at least 4 to playoff teams we should have been able to win. Pitt, KC, Baltimore, and Chicago. That ends this year.

Hondo, one of your points is dead on correct, and it's something I feel very strongly about, as well. There are a LOT of young players on this team who will have the opportunity to grow into better, more productive players this season. I think there will be a couple of folks who will be the next Stevie Johnson, and I'm excited about that. That's partly why I wasn't really expecting a lot of big FA signings...we're committed to growing through the draft, and we need to allow these youngsters to grow up. They have a solid coaching staff to learn from - a coaching staff that I now believe is far better than I initially gave it credit for - and with more playing time and film study I think we'll have some real contributors.

I'm particularly excited about this years draft...I really think we may end up with 3 or 4 solid starters out of that group. Maybe they won't all be up and running this season, but within their first few years I would not be surprised at all to see guys like DaNorris Searcy, Hairston, and the LB from LSU turn into solid starters.

AJ, I think you are are right. I think the Bills are more confident in some of their young players - especially on the line - than we fans may be. Would you rather hitch your wagon to a 22 year old coming up or a 30 year old going down? At some point their trajectories intersect.

We should improve for the reasons you state. We need to start winning games in our division. It will be hard to place any higher than 3rd in our division unless the Jets have a melt down.

Yeah, let's not forget that schedule. Things will change, but on paper this season they have a tougher schedule. Some years you can throw that out the window because some teams with new coaches execute significant turnarounds in year one, which helps balance things out around the league, but this year I have to believe that the teams with rookie coaches are going to be hard pressed to make any improvements. Expect a lot of repeat representatives in the playoffs which equates to that tough schedule actually playing out tough.

Ten Reasons Why the Bills Won’t Suck this Year

1. Dareus

2. Fitz is better prepared for this season than any in his life.

3. Edwards will get better. No one excels their first time doing something. But with Sanders and Wannstedt to mentor him, Edwards will run a better ‘D’ this year.

4. Merriman is healthy.

5. The veterans now understand Gailey’s offense and will execute better.

6. Our new S&C coaches will make a difference. The Bills will not be ravaged by injuries this year.

7. Younger players are reaching their potential. Wood, Levitre, Bell, Spiller, Moats, et al will be more productive.

8. Gailey has lots of weapons (Smith, Parrish, Spiller, Evans) and will find better ways to use them.

9. Fewer defensive players are now playing out of position as we transition to 3-4/hybrid.

10. Cosmic karmic forces will finally give us long-suffering Bills fans some relief.

That is a pretty good wish list. My list is a lot shorter. I just want to see this team stop the run. If they can cut 40 yards per game that would put them in the middle of the pack as far as run defense. That would go a long way towards the Bills not sucking this year.

You guys do know that you have to win out your divisional games to be a successful teams right? Going 1-5 or 2-4 every year against divisional opponents doesn't help. So until we go 5-1 or 4-2 against the Jets, Pats and Fins, we ain't goin nowhere.

3-3 would be just fine. Go 7-3 outside of that and you're a playoff team.

I actually think the Bills will be 4-2 in division this year. They'll sweep the Fish, and split with NE* and the Jets.

The bull**** has to end sometime, and the karma around the team is better than it has been in years (not to mention the talent upgrade).

To all of you pessimists posing as realists, no need to respond. I already know what you think and couldn't care less.

3-3 would be just fine. Go 7-3 outside of that and you're a playoff team.

I actually think the Bills will be 4-2 in division this year. They'll sweep the Fish, and split with NE* and the Jets.

The bull**** has to end sometime, and the karma around the team is better than it has been in years (not to mention the talent upgrade).

To all of you pessimists posing as realists, no need to respond. I already know what you think and couldn't care less.

im a realist posing as a pessimist.

the fact that we didnt have that big signing will hurt us. even though jets have revis, they were still trying to get asomoua (that ex raider cb)??????? signs of real winning organization. bills have zip and we were not in the hunt for him? we have arguably 2 of the best qbs in the entire league. cry baby brady and sanchize. at least if we had a true shut down corner.....

but nope. that's upsetting from a fans' point of view.

You guys do know that you have to win out your divisional games to be a successful teams right? Going 1-5 or 2-4 every year against divisional opponents doesn't help. So until we go 5-1 or 4-2 against the Jets, Pats and Fins, we ain't goin nowhere.

Actually, we know that you don't have to win out in the Division. At least 1 tean won every Div. game last year, still had an overall losing record and missed the playoffs. A couple teams didn't have winning records in their Div, but had winning records overall.

Just in case you missed the memo, Div. games were reduced from 8 (half the season) to 6 when the League re-aligned.

But hey, don't let that stop you from 'cheering' for the team