Taylor Mays anyone?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds odd to me that he is being run out of town after just a year. What probably happened is Harbaugh really liked the S this draft and thought it could work out and Mays was furious and causing locker room problems at this point. Or maybe he was a problem before his replacement was drafted.

It's a tough call to really want him at this point, he played well when he was in there but who knows if this guy is a loose canon and huge crybaby. Could be 10x worse than Whitner from what it sounds like. Either way, I'd prolly trade Kelsey for him. Lol

I think he's certainly an upgrade from Whitner, George Wilson, Jon Corto, and Bryan Scott. I'd assume considering he hasn't stepped on the field and was a mid-round rookie, he'd be an upgrade over Da'Norris Searcy as well. But that can't be guaranteed.

Long story short, for the right price, i'd be all for it. Offer a conditional 4th next year. If they want him gone bad enough maybe they'll take it. Couldn't hurt to throw it out there.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

From what I remember reading he had unbelievable straight-line speed at that size, but his hips were even more stiff than Roy Williams(the Oklahoma RW). You can't blast a player away with a big hit if you can't get into position to do so.......that said, I have not seen him perform at the NFL level so I don't have an opinion from my own eyes, just what I've read.

It's odd to see him struggle like he has. I never saw him play in San Francisco, but that guy was a man among boys at USC.

I think he made the highlight plays instead of the smart plays was one of his knocks at USC, no? I honestly dont 100% remember so dont take that as an authority.

He's bigger than Maybin, let's put him at OLB.

It's odd to see him struggle like he has. I never saw him play in San Francisco, but that guy was a man among boys at USC.

It's hard to know what really happens when a new regime comes in, but it seems a little early to give up on the kid given the talent level he showed in college.

I'm putting on my asbestos underpants before I write this because I know what's coming.

Taylor Mays reeks of an OLB to me. He has trouble in coverage as a safety, especially when the play isn't in front of him. Yet, he hits and pursues like an animal and can run like a jackrabbit. He's 6'3" 230lbs so he's a little light right now but I have to believe that an NFL strength coach can put 10-15 lbs on a guy who isn't named Aaron Maybin. He ran a 4.43 at the combine which is sick for an OLB.

I wouldn't give up a ton for the guy but he has most of the attributes you look for in a LB already.

He's bigger than Maybin, let's put him at OLB.

It's hard to know what really happens when a new regime comes in, but it seems a little early to give up on the kid given the talent level he showed in college.

I'm putting on my asbestos underpants before I write this because I know what's coming.

Taylor Mays reeks of an OLB to me. He has trouble in coverage as a safety, especially when the play isn't in front of him. Yet, he hits and pursues like an animal and can run like a jackrabbit. He's 6'3" 230lbs so he's a little light right now but I have to believe that an NFL strength coach can put 10-15 lbs on a guy who isn't named Aaron Maybin. He ran a 4.43 at the combine which is sick for an OLB.

I wouldn't give up a ton for the guy but he has most of the attributes you look for in a LB already.

You guys may not be that far off. Maybe someone can find the link, but there was an article about Mays before the draft where the reporter said he had talked to scouts with multiple 3-4 teams, and all the scouts were grading him as a 3-4 OLB. Not a terrible idea with his size I guess, seems like a stretch though.

He started almost half the season last year, so there should be decent tape on him. What I remember from last season was his great play on special teams, so he has value there too. Considering most late round picks end up only ST guys anyways, he may be worth a 5th or so.

Whether its OLB, S, or just STs…. He can’t be any worse than Maybin.

Which is the reason why it really takes something unbelievable for a USC player to impress me. That team is usually so loaded with top recruits that it makes determining an individuals skill tough. When you have 3 NFL quality LB's rushing the passer, that is really going to make the secondary look good...

Even when a guy looks unbelievable at USC (Bush), it seems like that still doesn't translate to NFL success.

Wasn't this the guy who got all pissy when Pete Carroll took a different safety in the draft last year? As if Carroll should have taken him because he was a USC guy?

Pass.

Someone should tell the Bengals.

It cracks me up that the Bengals' own site ran the story based on Donte's tweet instead of on the organization's announcement.