UFO Found on Ocean Floor?

CosmicBills

So how can we conclude life is rare, and how is it rare "by definition?"

If you accept that intelligent life would follow naturally once life started then the math becomes simple. Everyone can wish it away all they want but the fact is that life beyond Earth is either exceedingly rare or nonexistent. It is simple math.

If you accept that intelligent life would follow naturally once life started then the math becomes simple. Everyone can wish it away all they want but the fact is that life beyond Earth is either exceedingly rare or nonexistent. It is simple math.

You're forgetting about Common Core. If you apply Common Core to that equation you'd find that life is more than likely abundant.

I wish you expand on your thoughts. I have no idea what you are talking about.

The observable universe is now accepted to have 350 billion galaxies, each with 200 billion stars.

We now know that most star systems have planets similar to earth.

And you suggest that life beyond Earth is exceedingly rare or non-existent?

The observable universe is now accepted to have 350 billion galaxies, each with 200 billion stars.

I don't suggest that. Math suggests that and it is an easy equation. How old is the universe? If life developed so,easily it would have found us thousands of times by now. Everyone wants life to be out there but it isn't.

Artificial Intelligence is coming, and it's going to be game changing. And it's not coming in a few decades, it's quite possibly coming before this decade's out.

Maybe. Maybe not. I am not sure how credible these people are but they seem to be in a position to gauge progress in AI.

http://www.popsci.com/bill-gates-fears-ai-ai-researchers-know-better

I can explain this better I think.

Supposedly the universe has a staggering amount of intelligent life. Too high a number to comprehend....

The universe has been around for billions of years......too high a number to comprehend......

So innumerable societies have developed for what is a near infinity and plausibly developed countless methods of exploration and communication......by sheer number alone some would seek out any life it could find....some would hide and some would do something in between. Out of all the explorer types out there....still a number too high to comprehend.....we have confirmed contact exactly zero times....and they have had billions of years to send their messages, probes, ships or morse code.

So how much more time is needed? Infinity plus one? How many more planets have to be discovered to extrapolate the supposed quantity of societies? How much more need be known about the universe? None. Because the math has already been done. There is nothing and nobody out there trying to communicate which essentially means there is nothing and nobody out there....period.

Understand now? It's just math.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I can explain this better I think.

Supposedly the universe has a staggering amount of intelligent life. Too high a number to comprehend....

The universe has been around for billions of years......too high a number to comprehend......

So innumerable societies have developed for what is a near infinity and plausibly developed countless methods of exploration and communication......by sheer number alone some would seek out any life it could find....some would hide and some would do something in between. Out of all the explorer types out there....still a number too high to comprehend.....we have confirmed contact exactly zero times....and they have had billions of years to send their messages, probes, ships or morse code.

So how much more time is needed? Infinity plus one? How many more planets have to be discovered to extrapolate the supposed quantity of societies? How much more need be known about the universe? None. Because the math has already been done. There is nothing and nobody out there trying to communicate which essentially means there is nothing and nobody out there....period.

Understand now? It's just math.

Your premises are false and your conclusions wrong.

I highlighted the more egregiously false ideas in your post, though its all more or less poorly thought out.

Consider the Earth is 4.5 billion years old; our "intelligent life" still has not produced anything close to an inter-stellar spaceship and we have only had radio technology for about 120 years. We have a few probes floating around, one out beyond Pluto now. That does't really count.

So for the first 9 billion years of the life of the universe, we simply didn't exist. Once Earth came into existence, it took another 4.5 billion years for this planet to develop a society that still can't get out of its own back yard or communicate with anyone more than 120 light years away.

That means, according to your logic, we don't exist, relative to other civilizations wondering where we are, why we never communicated with them, or why we never visited them. Surely we must not exist. If we did, after 14 billion years, we would have let someone know by now. Right?

You have to remember the speed of light is a speed limit in the universe and simply because a civilization is advanced doesn't mean it is allowed to break the laws of physics, which presumably apply equally to and throughout the entire universe.

Consider that unlike the laws of man, it is impossible to break the laws of nature/science/math. As a result, there are no penalties for there are no crimes. You have to play by the rules.

Unfortunately, the rules say you have to move around or send messages relatively slowly given the size of the universe (speed of light).

This likely greatly impacts why we haven't heard or seen anyone yet. Then again, maybe advanced alien life came through here 1 million years ago (just to grab a random number), concluded not a lot was going on, and kept moving. Who knows.

Suggesting that somehow "math" dictates that the universe is devoid of intelligent life is absurd.

Your premises are false and your conclusions wrong.

I highlighted the more egregiously false ideas in your post, though its all more or less poorly thought out.

Consider the Earth is 4.5 billion years old; our "intelligent life" still has not produced anything close to an inter-stellar spaceship and we have only had radio technology for about 120 years. We have a few probes floating around, one out beyond Pluto now. That does't really count.

So for the first 9 billion years of the life of the universe, we simply didn't exist. Once Earth came into existence, it took another 4.5 billion years for this planet to develop a society that still can't get out of its own back yard or communicate with anyone more than 120 light years away.

That means, according to your logic, we don't exist, relative to other civilizations wondering where we are, why we never communicated with them, or why we never visited them. Surely we must not exist. If we did, after 14 billion years, we would have let someone know by now. Right?

You have to remember the speed of light is a speed limit in the universe and simply because a civilization is advanced doesn't mean it is allowed to break the laws of physics, which presumably apply equally to and throughout the entire universe.

Consider that unlike the laws of man, it is impossible to break the laws of nature/science/math. As a result, there are no penalties for there are no crimes. You have to play by the rules.

Unfortunately, the rules say you have to move around or send messages relatively slowly given the size of the universe (speed of light).

This likely greatly impacts why we haven't heard or seen anyone yet. Then again, maybe advanced alien life came through here 1 million years ago (just to grab a random number), concluded not a lot was going on, and kept moving. Who knows.

Suggesting that somehow "math" dictates that the universe is devoid of intelligent life is absurd.

Look dude I woud like for there to be intelligent life out there too but I am not emotional about it. You have misunderstood what I have said, perhaps purposely. No our messages haven't made it anywhere yet but that is not the point.

If there are all of these billions of planets that are billions of years old with societies, doesn't it stand to reason that LOTS of socieities would be billions of years old? And none of them figured out how to communicate much less fold space to trick the speed of light? Someone would have done it......they haven't. Why? Because they are not there. It is literally the only explanation when you look at the math objectively.

I would like for there to be intelligent life on Earth

Well maybe someday depending on your definition but Stoppthepain is wishfully thinking it is abundant elsewhere, but it is not. Think of it like this:

It is as if life on Earth was a single person born into a planet with roughly 7 billion inhabitants but it just so happens that ALL of the others are also too young to communicate. All 7 billion of them. You've never seen another person or heard one but you assume 7 billion of them are there.

. . . You have to remember the speed of light is a speed limit in the universe and simply because a civilization is advanced doesn't mean it is allowed to break the laws of physics, which presumably apply equally to and throughout the entire universe.

1. So what if your premise is wrong? What if the speed of light somehow increases in ultra-low gravity environments that we are incapable of testing or have not yet tested? People say that manned space capsules operate in "zero gravity," but anybody who took basic Newtonian mechanics knows that's wrong - - gravitational forces are just extremely low - - not zero.

What if the laws of physics that apply in even lower gravitational fields haven't been discovered yet? There are certainly changes in the characteristics of materials that change drastically when those materials are cooled near zero degrees Kelvin. What if something analogous happens in ultra-low gravitational fields (just in the sense of drastic changes compared to what happens at more "normal" temperatures)?

BTW, how do you know how far man's deep space probes have traveled? Aren't you just extrapolating what you presume to be the speed of light under the street lamp in our solar system's gravitational field (where you can hope to find the keys you dropped) to deep space conditions? Maybe our probes sped up and traveled much farther, and everybody just assumes that we can still calculate the distance they've traveled by how long it takes radio communications to travel back and forth to any given probe.

Find the notion heretical to current thinking about the speed of light as an absolute "speed" limit? There was a time when prevailing scientific thought branded the idea that the earth revolved around the sun as heretical.

Maybe there's more yet to be discovered about the "laws" of the universe than you think.

You might be able to convince me that Cookie and Elbert played in the old AFL (Alien Football League). Maybe Otis Sistrunk really was from the University of Mars:

http://slicethelife.com/2012/09/18/former-oakland-raider-otis-sistrunk-from-the-university-of-mars-66-today/

Little known fact - - Otis actually played for the minor league Norfolk Neptunes, so he kind of had a planetary-themed career:

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-10-19/sports/sp-6283_1_columbia-football

In the 1970s, Otis Sistrunk was a defensive tackle for the Oakland Raiders, but before that he was a Norfolk Neptune.

Cool stuff. They estimate there are up to 40 billion of these types of planets in our galaxy alone. I'm hoping at least one of them has a decent QB we can import.

A number like 40 billion proves my point decisively.

On a side note, if each of those planets send a dollar to Beerboy he could square up with his bookie.

I don't know what the crocodile head thing is...but there has to be life on Mars. Look at the perfect oval shape and the deep red hue of that line. Only an advanced life form could create that shape in the sand.

See, this is the kind of info I want to see when I open this thread. Those killjoys on prior pages tried to turn this into a dissertation on life forms in the universe etc. by typing multiple paragraphs. Who wants to sift through that **** to get to the good stuff?

See, this is the kind of info I want to see when I open this thread. Those killjoys on prior pages tried to turn this into a dissertation on life forms in the universe etc. by typing multiple paragraphs. Who wants to sift through that **** to get to the good stuff?

Or you could skip it altogether since it's just us Earthlings in the universe. Math proves it.

n-PURPLEPERUUFO2015-large570.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/23/purple-ufo-over-peru_n_6690652.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Are you an idiot, or trying to make a joke?

Not sure which one.

I can form a compelling argument for each approach based on your cumulative posts I've actually read.

Or you could skip it altogether since it's just us Earthlings in the universe. Math proves it.

Oh Jesus Christ.

"Math proves it."

What math? Shoot me an equation or two.

Edited by Stopthepain

A number like 40 billion proves my point decisively.

On a side note, if each of those planets send a dollar to Beerboy he could square up with his bookie.

Please note the distinction between "life" and "life which has the ability to travel 100 million light years in a human life time" or similar.

I have said that the universe is likely teeming with life. I didn't say it's full of human intelligence level life, or greater...

It might mostly be microbial in nature. Who knows? Not you, that is for sure.

He's already laid it out in this thread. Pretty compelling argument if you ask me.

And based on these comments, I think it's save to say you don't possess a post-graduate degree in mathematics.

Fair enough.