College Football - Do You Follow a Team? A Conference?

ajzepp

I've mentioned this a few times on here, but I was never much of a college ball fan when I lived back north. I would watch the bigger bolw games when they came around, but that was about it. I moved to Atlanta about ten years ago - not far at all from UGA 'dawgs territory - and gradually I've become more and more interested. It's at the point now where I am completely psyched about the September 3rd opener where UGA will play Boise St. in the Chick-fil-a kickoff game. That being said, I don't identify as a UGA fan, but an SEC fan. The one team I tend to follow more than others is the South Carolina Gamecocks. I have no connection to South Carolina at all, but ever since Lou Holtz coached there I've sort of taken notice of the program, and I think they have one of the best game day environments in all of football. But I have become so enamored with the quality of football in the SEC, and especially the intense rivalries, that I am psyched beyond belief for the season to start.

I was just curious how some of you guys follow college ball. Are you passionate about a particular team? Do you tend to favor a particular conference? Do you only watch games between ranked opponents?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a Michigan fan my whole life and I am looking forward to the Wolverines returning to respectability again. It's been very difficult watching them the last few seasons.

As for College Football as a whole, I love it. I watch the college games from sunrise to late night. I just wish they had a damn playoff system.

Even though I am a Michigan fan and for that matter a Big 10 fan, I have no delusions in thinking that the Big 10 is better than the SEC. The SEC is without a doubt the premiere conference in college.

September is my favorite time of year for college ball, because I love those big non-conference match-ups. The Georgia-Boise State game will be fun, and on that same day is the Louisiana State-Oregon game.

I think you know where I stand on this. Go SEC!! :thumbsup:

I dont have a favorite team of the conference either. Although, I lean towards Auburn going back to being a 10 year old fan of Bo Jackson. Was happy to see the Tigers win the Championship this year.

DEFINITELY looking forward to the opener between UGA and Boise here in Atlanta! Trying to finagle some free tickets, we'll see.

That being said, I dont hate on the other conferences. I'll watch Big-10, Big-12, Pac-10, etc.

One of my favorite things in the world is waking up Saturday morning in the fall, turning on Gameday, watching Corso put on the headgear, and then watching college football until the West Coast games end around midnight. :worthy:

I think you know where I stand on this. Go SEC!! :thumbsup:

I dont have a favorite team of the conference either. Although, I lean towards Auburn going back to being a 10 year old fan of Bo Jackson. Was happy to see the Tigers win the Championship this year.

DEFINITELY looking forward to the opener between UGA and Boise here in Atlanta! Trying to finagle some free tickets, we'll see.

Hell yeah, that would be a great game to see live...the atmosphere will be amazing! I'm dying to see how some of these "dream team" freshman play for UGA...their new star RB will get a lot of playing time early since they have become thin at the position d/t eligibility issues and such. I also am really high on Aaron Murray at QB...I think this kid will end up being a great pro and I expect him to get a lot of national attention this season. The kid's a gamer!

I'm working until about 6pm on that Saturday, so I can't wait to finish work, grab some wings and a brewski, and check out the game on my projector...that will be a great night of football!

I've been a Michigan fan my whole life and I am looking forward to the Wolverines returning to respectability again. It's been very difficult watching them the last few seasons.

As for College Football as a whole, I love it. I watch the college games from sunrise to late night. I just wish they had a damn playoff system.

Even though I am a Michigan fan and for that matter a Big 10 fan, I have no delusions in thinking that the Big 10 is better than the SEC. The SEC is without a doubt the premiere conference in college.

September is my favorite time of year for college ball, because I love those big non-conference match-ups. The Georgia-Boise State game will be fun, and on that same day is the Louisiana State-Oregon game.

Exactly the same here. The only thing I will add is, my favorite time of year is watching the Michigan game from my hotel room on Saturday while in town for the Bills game on Sunday. That's a good weekend.

born in WNY: no teams

raised in Ohio: the Ohio State University and most all MAC schools.

living in NC: NCSU is pretty cool and everyones favorite second team is WFU.

I also enjoy cheering Penn State and underdogs when they're not Boise State, TCU, or those media darlings.

As far as conferences, the MAC and the Big10/12/11/? are favorites. When they finish expanding the Big10/12/11/? I hope they find a school in the state of Michigan. It would be cool to have a team in that state that plays football.

I am one of the many Penn St fans on this site.

In the past I had to rely on the good graces of ESPN/ESPN2/ABC. But in new house I'll be getting DirecTV with Big10 Network, so there's an extra option

Congrats on the close! I miss my house...I bought a beautiful suburban home, 3br, 2.5 bath, ranch style with a nice high ceiling in the living room. I had to sell it after my divorce, but I have many fond memories of it and my DirecTv. I was just about to get DTV in my apartment, but they can't quite get the angle on the satellite from my deck :censored:

So I'll continue to live vicariously through you guys who have it...lol You need to adopt one of my traditions and buy yourself a nice big tv for the new place!

Grew up on the Big Ten;I follow Illinois. My previous career in TV news allowed me to go to many Big Ten games in Urbana-Champaign and all over the midwest. I am proud to say I attended the Rose Bowl in 2008; I highly recommend going to the game if you can. The scenery is some of the best in the USA for a college game.

I have a few schools I like to watch/support: Auburn (friend went to Grad School there), Georgia, Texas, Southern Illinois (my alma mater), whoever's playing USC or Notre Dame. I am not an avid watcher but I try to watch games when I can. I receive the Big Ten Network so that's what I'll watch most of the time unless one of the above teams is on.

Reading all your guys' responses has me jonesing for kickoff more than before lol...gonna be a great season!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.