College Football - Do You Follow a Team? A Conference?

ajzepp

I don't like where this is going. If aTm goes to the SEC along with FSU/Clemson/Missouri all hell is going to break lose. My guess would be Texas & Oklahoma are going to jump over to the Pac 10 & from there the dominoes are going to be set to fall in place for 4 super conferences(16 teams each) leaving everybody else out in the cold. I could see these 4 conferences even breaking away from the NCAA. My greater concern is not with the football in this scenerio(the big boys for the most part dominate football year in year out) but what happens to the NCAA basketball tournament in this type of a scenerio?

Even if aTm and Mizzou jump, Texas and OU will stand pat. Texas has it too good right now with the Longhorn network, and the unbalanced revenue sharing.

Plus, 8 teams still makes the conference BCS eligible. The path to a NC would get easier for them.

As for OU, their too busy being Texas' B word they refuse to think for themselves.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if aTm and Mizzou jump, Texas and OU will stand pat. Texas has it too good right now with the Longhorn network, and the unbalanced revenue sharing.

Plus, 8 teams still makes the conference BCS eligible. The path to a NC would get easier for them.

As for OU, their too busy being Texas' B word they refuse to think for themselves.

I could actually see OU & Texas Tech joining the Pac-10 while Texas went Independent.

Check out what the Dallas Morning News found out about Texas' contract with ESPN. They're setting themselves up to go independent.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20110808-longhorn-network-contract-shows-texas-still-has-big-plans.ece

Oh yeah? Says who? Not the SEC board today! Poooooor aggy.

For now. As the SEC board says:

We recognize, however, that future conditions may make it advantageous to expand the number of institutions in the league. We discussed criteria and process associated with expansion.

That door hasn't been shut.

I disagree. I suspect it's probably more legal than anything. The SEC doesn't want to make the move until aTm divorces themselves from the Big 12, so they won't be liable in the damages aTm will have to pay the rest of the Big 12 when it happens.

aTm has the next move, which is to divorce itself from the Big 12. Once that happens, they'll join the SEC almost immediately.

I agree. As for aTm paying any damages, if you believe this writer, the Aggies have signed nothing that ties them to the new Big 12-2.

In fact, (Texas A&M President) Loftin has made it crystal clear to A&M people who ask that the university has not signed anything that legally binds A&M to the new Big 12 despite what has been released to the public.

Since they never signed, do they owe any exit penalties?

IIRC, Nebraska paid squat.

I don't think aTm is using the Big 12 as leverage, mainly because there's not a lot of reason for aTm to try to get more out of the Big 12. Yeah, Texas gets a majority share, but what money aTm would end up getting wouldn't be near as much as they'd get from an expanded SEC, and they don't have the national star power to make their own TV network to augment it (like we do). Doesn't really make sense for them to stay either way if they have the opportunity.

I personally have no idea what aTm would gain. But if the school thinks it can sqeeze a little more money out of the conference, they may attempt it., especially if a real exit looks nasty and costly.

I could actually see OU & Texas Tech joining the Pac-10 while Texas went Independent.

Check out what the Dallas Morning News found out about Texas' contract with ESPN. They're setting themselves up to go independent.

http://www.dallasnew...s-big-plans.ece

That's one train of thought.

Is Texas considering going fully ind across all sports? That would be risking suicide.

IMHO, Texas doesn't have the clout ND has, and even ND isn't stupid enough to be fully independent.

Would the Big12-2 put up with it like the Big East does with Notre Dame?

I did find this interesting:

The fight for high school games isn't over yet: The contract shows UT and IMG must use their "best efforts" to help ESPN air all UIL state championships on the Longhorn Network. For now, the Big 12 has put a one-year hold on high school games on the network.

Unless I missed I something, the NCAA has already said no.

For now. As the SEC board says:

We recognize, however, that future conditions may make it advantageous to expand the number of institutions in the league. We discussed criteria and process associated with expansion.

That door hasn't been shut.

Haha, I thought the rest of my post would make it clear I was joking about that. Just giving the couple ags on this board a hard time while I can.

I agree. As for aTm paying any damages, if you believe this writer, the Aggies have signed nothing that ties them to the new Big 12-2.

Since they never signed, do they owe any exit penalties?

IIRC, Nebraska paid squat.

Here's what Nebraska paid:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/21/nebraska-reaches-agreement-with-big-12-on-exit-penalties/

As far as aTm, what I was reading earlier (and if I get time I'll find the link) was the schools individually signed the TV contracts with ESPN and FOX, and they'd have to break those to move to the SEC. Probably not as big of a deal to ESPN, as they cover both, but FOX was where they were speculating it'd get tricky.

I personally have no idea what aTm would gain. But if the school thinks it can sqeeze a little more money out of the conference, they may attempt it., especially if a real exit looks nasty and costly.

That's one train of thought.

Is Texas considering going fully ind across all sports? That would be risking suicide.

IMHO, Texas doesn't have the clout ND has, and even ND isn't stupid enough to be fully independent.

Would the Big12-2 put up with it like the Big East does with Notre Dame?

I did find this interesting:

Unless I missed I something, the NCAA has already said no.

Yeah, that article was written a couple days before the NCAA said no, but after the Big 12 said "not for this year".

I doubt Texas would go independent in all sports, but I wouldn't bet against football. Although Texas' clout from a $$$ and brand is way higher than ND, it's definitely centered mostly around football.

Edited by BlueFire

I am not so sure the Big 12 could survive losing another 2 teams, especially teams like aTm & mizzou. Those are 2 of your high profile teams in your conference. If it was Baylor/Iowa St maybe. The way they have this setup now in this conference it is doomed for failure. You can not give one team all these perks & advantages & expect the other 9 teams to be happy with it & not complain. I realize that Texas is the glue that is holding this conference together & they are the biggest money maker in this conference but from what I have read even though the other high profile schools left(OU & aTM) are making out pretty they are not happy with this. From what I have read(& I am no expert on this situation) part of the reason Nebraska left was because they thought Texas got preferential treatment all these years. If aTm leaves I am not so sure Texas does not join the Pac 10. I don't think they could survive in all the sports being a true independent.

I've mentioned this a few times on here, but I was never much of a college ball fan when I lived back north. I would watch the bigger bolw games when they came around, but that was about it. I moved to Atlanta about ten years ago - not far at all from UGA 'dawgs territory - and gradually I've become more and more interested. It's at the point now where I am completely psyched about the September 3rd opener where UGA will play Boise St. in the Chick-fil-a kickoff game. That being said, I don't identify as a UGA fan, but an SEC fan. The one team I tend to follow more than others is the South Carolina Gamecocks. I have no connection to South Carolina at all, but ever since Lou Holtz coached there I've sort of taken notice of the program, and I think they have one of the best game day environments in all of football. But I have become so enamored with the quality of football in the SEC, and especially the intense rivalries, that I am psyched beyond belief for the season to start.

I was just curious how some of you guys follow college ball. Are you passionate about a particular team? Do you tend to favor a particular conference? Do you only watch games between ranked opponents?

I think that the SEC is the best conference in football. That being said, I'm a huge fan of Alabama. ROLL TIDE!

You can't beat the excitement or the passion of college football, IMO, and I try to follow most major programs - mainly to keep abreast of the top NFL prospects.

Mostly, though, I follow the Big 12 (now Big 12 minus 2 and possibly on the verge of implosion if A&M and Missou bolt to the SEC) and the Texas Tech Red Raiders - even though they gave my guy Leach the bum's rush for not coddling spoiled little Adam James and kowtowing to his lying little league dad and habitual Big 12 program wrecker Craig - mainly because I can't get this play out of my mind, or the bewildered look on poor Colt McCoy's face immediately afterwards...

Wreck 'em, Tech!!!!

Guns Up!!!!! B-)

What I love is that all my friends in the neighborhood know that I will on the porch watching the 3.30 SEC game , and several come over at random to grab a beer and watch the game, and shoot the poop The HD on that game always looks better for some reason...and just look forward to it every week.

This. When football season approaches I look forward to the 3:30 SEC games more than anything, and I'm not a big fan of any particular SEC team.

This. When football season approaches I look forward to the 3:30 SEC games more than anything, and I'm not a big fan of any particular SEC team.

Indeed!!

To switch gears a little, away from Conferences, I just saw this story. And maybe it needs its own thread, but eff it.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/08/miami-football-nevin-shapiro-ncaa-violations/1

So this scumbag crook lurks around the program, probably slipping gifts to players, and when he's bored in jail he gets to make a story out of it and tank an entire program. Potentially ruining the college days of a lot of kids.

Now the NCAA is investigating.

I get that it's on the players to stay away from guys like this, but that is WAAAAY easier said than done.

I dunno, I think the whole thing stinks.

I typically work until 6pm on Saturdays, and it's not very busy, so I love monitoring the games on ESPN and my iPhone...makes the last few hours of the work day (and work week) fly by :D

Only 18 days til the DAwgs v. Boise St!!!!!!

Indeed!!

To switch gears a little, away from Conferences, I just saw this story. And maybe it needs its own thread, but eff it.

http://content.usato...aa-violations/1

So this scumbag crook lurks around the program, probably slipping gifts to players, and when he's bored in jail he gets to make a story out of it and tank an entire program. Potentially ruining the college days of a lot of kids.

Now the NCAA is investigating.

I get that it's on the players to stay away from guys like this, but that is WAAAAY easier said than done.

I dunno, I think the whole thing stinks.

Yahoo! Sports has spent a year investigating this.

Unfortunately for the U, this is not an example of a rogue booster sneaking around behind the schools back.

The guy is naming coaches from both the football and basketball programs.

My link

According to Brett McMurphy at CBS Sports and his Miami source, the U is in deep ****.

McMurphyCBS Brett McMurphy Miami source on severity of what's going to hit the fan at UM. "Between a 1 & 10, it's a 10." 9 hours ago

I doubt Texas would go independent in all sports, but I wouldn't bet against football. Although Texas' clout from a $$ and brand is way higher than ND, it's definitely centered mostly around football.

I guess I should clarify what I meant about "clout".

Could Texas football garner enough interest to strike it's own TV deal? Yes, without question.

The clout I am referring to is "Could Texas convince a conference to let the football team play as an independent (and keep all the money it generates), but the rest of the athletics get to participate in conference play?"

IMHO, not really. Even in the Big12, if Texas pulled out the football program, I see it being the last straw that breaks up that conference for good.

However, Texas may be able to convince a mid-major conference to take them in.

Then there's the football schedule...

i like the SEC and don't know why we would take the Aggies. Geography doesn't make sense, tradition doesn't make sense, and I would think we would want an odd number of teams. Virginia Tech, assuming they wanted to come, or West Virginia or North Carolina might be interesting possibilities, or even a Florida State or Miami.

As far as I know, all of those teams are pretty happy where they are.

Don't see Texas A and M coming to the SEC though.

i like the SEC and don't know why we would take the Aggies. Geography doesn't make sense, tradition doesn't make sense, and I would think we would want an odd number of teams. Virginia Tech, assuming they wanted to come, or West Virginia or North Carolina might be interesting possibilities, or even a Florida State or Miami.

Right now, I wouldn't touch Miami. It's going to get ugly there.

I wouldn't mind WVU as a member, just not my first choice.

As I hear it, VT and Virginia are a package deal. You don't take one without the other.

Why would the SEC want TAMU?

Exposure and money.

TAMU would open up Texas to the SEC

- Easier recruiting, better recruits

- TV (At the very least the Houston metro area)

TAMU fans travel well

Better get your eyesight checked :P

This last go round, TAMU initiated first contact with the SEC. Latest reports have the SEC waiting on TAMU to decide what it wants to do. If/when TAMU decides to actually leave the Big12, then the SEC will throw out an invite.

Come on man it is not hard to figure out why they would want aTm. The SEC wants in on some of that Texas market. Plus, it would create natural rivalries with LSU & Arkansas.

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.