College Football - Do You Follow a Team? A Conference?

ajzepp

There was serious talk about the SEC expanding, and Florida St was one of the schools I heard mentioned in the conversation. I would love to see them come play with the big boys.

I would be very surprised if the SEC would want Florida St. They already Florida & I really do not know how much more bigger their footprint would be by adding another Florida school. I heard if they expand it is going to be Texas A&M & a school such as Clemson, but who knows.

I love Saturdays in the fall. Nothing else like it. I love going down in the basement around 11am or so & knowing I have a full 12 hours of watching College Football ahead of me. I got a smoker this year so I plan on smoking some stuff on Saturday afternoons in the fall this year. I also am going to bring the TVs out on my patio in the early season & hang out outside on the nice fall days that we have. I can not wait. Opening weekend is less then 5 weeks away. Boise ST/Georgia & LSU/Oregon is a great way to start off the season. Just wish they were on different times. That LSU/Oregon game could have national title implications. I am interested also to see how Boise's offense does against an SEC defense. If Murray plays well this year, Georgia could be a real sleeper.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very surprised if the SEC would want Florida St.

me too

I heard if they expand it is going to be Texas A&M & a school such as Clemson, but who knows.

me too

I love Saturdays in the fall. Nothing else like it.

me too

I love going down in the basement around 11am or so & knowing I have a full 12 hours of watching College Football ahead of me.

me too

I plan on "smoking some stuff" on Saturday afternoons in the fall this year.

ME TOO!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDareustein

I would be very surprised if the SEC would want Florida St. They already Florida & I really do not know how much more bigger their footprint would be by adding another Florida school. I heard if they expand it is going to be Texas A&M & a school such as Clemson, but who knows.

I love Saturdays in the fall. Nothing else like it. I love going down in the basement around 11am or so & knowing I have a full 12 hours of watching College Football ahead of me. I got a smoker this year so I plan on smoking some stuff on Saturday afternoons in the fall this year. I also am going to bring the TVs out on my patio in the early season & hang out outside on the nice fall days that we have. I can not wait. Opening weekend is less then 5 weeks away. Boise ST/Georgia & LSU/Oregon is a great way to start off the season. Just wish they were on different times. That LSU/Oregon game could have national title implications. I am interested also to see how Boise's offense does against an SEC defense. If Murray plays well this year, Georgia could be a real sleeper.

I'd be surprised too...I just recall that as being one of the schools they were talking about on one of the sports talk radio stations down here when all the conference re-aligning and super-conference talk was heating up. I think from the ACC it was Miami, FSU, Clemson, and GA Tech that they said were likely the contenders, with Clemson being the favorite. As long as they don't mess with the big dawgs already in the conference, I wouldn't really have any preference as to who else joined.

I agree about Murray...I've been singing this kids praises since early last season, and I think he's going to end up being the best QB in the SEC and one of the top 5 in the country by the end of this coming season. It'll hurt not having AJ Green around, but he's already found some chemistry with a couple of the wideouts on the team currently. But this kid has a really nice skill set...if some of these younger players play well, particular someone like Isiah Crowell (RB), GA will contend for the SEC champ.

I'd be surprised too...I just recall that as being one of the schools they were talking about on one of the sports talk radio stations down here when all the conference re-aligning and super-conference talk was heating up. I think from the ACC it was Miami, FSU, Clemson, and GA Tech that they said were likely the contenders, with Clemson being the favorite. As long as they don't mess with the big dawgs already in the conference, I wouldn't really have any preference as to who else joined.

First, GA Tech going to the SEC: not a chance in hell.. Time may heal all wounds, but those wounds are pretty damn deep.

Secondly, if you want to believe a aTm Aggie (with an alleged source within the SEC offices), not only is Clemson the favorite, it's a done deal.

I agree about Murray...I've been singing this kids praises since early last season, and I think he's going to end up being the best QB in the SEC and one of the top 5 in the country by the end of this coming season. It'll hurt not having AJ Green around, but he's already found some chemistry with a couple of the wideouts on the team currently. But this kid has a really nice skill set...if some of these younger players play well, particular someone like Isiah Crowell (RB), GA will contend for the SEC champ.

My favorite conference is without a doubt the SEC. It just looks right. Even the whole game day atmosphere looks great on tv it looks like it should and the games are top notch. I'll watch most any game that I happen to catch on tv. Some other teams I like watching are Boise ST., Texas, occasionaly a PAC10 game, an occasional Penn St or Wisconsin too. Don't mind watching the ACC either.

I think Boise ST is my single favorite team but I enjoy any SEC game.

My favorite conference is without a doubt the SEC. It just looks right. Even the whole game day atmosphere looks great on tv it looks like it should and the games are top notch. I'll watch most any game that I happen to catch on tv. Some other teams I like watching are Boise ST., Texas, occasionaly a PAC10 game, an occasional Penn St or Wisconsin too. Don't mind watching the ACC either.

I think Boise ST is my single favorite team but I enjoy any SEC game.

Agreed. The SEC plays the best football. It is all cyclical though. Tough to match that SEC speed though. This maybe a down year for the SEC this year. Alabama should be in the national title picture, but after that every team in that conference has their issues. LSU has a QB problem, Georgia is extremly young, Ark is supposed to be pretty good as is South Carolina. Florida is going to be down again & Tenn is a mess. Auburn is not going to be very good this year either.

Edited by Gordio

First, GA Tech going to the SEC: not a chance in hell.. Time may heal all wounds, but those wounds are pretty damn deep.

Secondly, if you want to believe a aTm Aggie (with an alleged source within the SEC offices), not only is Clemson the favorite, it's a done deal.

What does the SEC gain by adding Clemson? I underastand why Clemson would make the jump, but whats in it for the conference? Clemson can't win in the ACC, let alone the SEC.

• 2 weeks later...

Reports this morning that Texas A&M are moving to the SEC.

Also that Missouri, Florida St, and Clemson are considering the jump as well.

Not sure how I feel about this. Kinda feel like it's diluting my favorite conference...

orangeblood.com is reporting Mizzou has denied any contact with the SEC.

My link

From what I have been reading, IF aTm decides to make the move (#), the 2 leading contenders for the East div seem to be Clemson and FSU.

Clemson is supposedly a done deal according to an Aggie. (Hope not. Clemson and South Carolina will end up being the east version of Ole' Miss and Miss St.).

Maybe FSU has expressed a really strong interest in joining the SEC?

# Note: there seems to be a crap load of politics involved with this:

• ATM is a public school. The Texas Dept of Higher Education cannot stop aTm from leaving, but they can reduce the schools public funding if the university does leave. (Apparently the Dept has already threatened to do this?)
  • If Rick Perry, an Aggie alumni, plans on running for President, high powered Texas alum may lean on Perry to convince aTm to stay in the Big12-2
  • IIIRC, UTexas has no desire on seeing the SEC get a footprint in Texas. UT's recruiting advantage in the state of Texas would greatly diminish.

Reports this morning that Texas A&M are moving to the SEC.

Also that Missouri, Florida St, and Clemson are considering the jump as well.

Not sure how I feel about this. Kinda feel like it's diluting my favorite conference...

That would be my concern, too. Not saying another school or two would ruin things, but the SEC is such a great conference right now that they need to be careful what they do.

I love the SEC so much that it even takes my mind off of how much I hate the BCS and no playoff system.

That would be my concern, too. Not saying another school or two would ruin things, but the SEC is such a great conference right now that they need to be careful what they do.

I love the SEC so much that it even takes my mind off of how much I hate the BCS and no playoff system.

I don't like where this is going. If aTm goes to the SEC along with FSU/Clemson/Missouri all hell is going to break lose. My guess would be Texas & Oklahoma are going to jump over to the Pac 10 & from there the dominoes are going to be set to fall in place for 4 super conferences(16 teams each) leaving everybody else out in the cold. I could see these 4 conferences even breaking away from the NCAA. My greater concern is not with the football in this scenerio(the big boys for the most part dominate football year in year out) but what happens to the NCAA basketball tournament in this type of a scenerio?

I don't like where this is going. If aTm goes to the SEC along with FSU/Clemson/Missouri all hell is going to break lose. My guess would be Texas & Oklahoma are going to jump over to the Pac 10 & from there the dominoes are going to be set to fall in place for 4 super conferences(16 teams each) leaving everybody else out in the cold. I could see these 4 conferences even breaking away from the NCAA. My greater concern is not with the football in this scenerio(the big boys for the most part dominate football year in year out) but what happens to the NCAA basketball tournament in this type of a scenerio?

It seemed like last year those dominoes were about to fall, but then things sort of stabilized. There was talk of the super conferences and all that, but only one or two of the key teams ended up jumping ship. So I think you're exactly right about how it will continue moving in that direction if it starts up again.

I'm guessing that the SEC will expand, but not until they have 2 or 4 teams lined up and can do them all at once.

One thing about potential 16 team super conferences...how would the conference schedule play out? Playing every team in your division would put a team at 7 conference games already. Does the conference then go to 9 or even possibly 10 games? I'd hate to lose a lot of those great cross-divisional matchups, or only see them once every 8 years instead of 2 of every 5.

Silly Aggy thinking they'd get an SEC invite. ;)

Hate to burst your bubble, but if the Aggies are willing to jump ship, the SEC would snap them up in a heart beat.

Getting an invite is not even a concern.

The big concern right now seems to be if the Aggies are serious about jumping, or are they just using the SEC as leverage.

Hate to burst your bubble, but if the Aggies are willing to jump ship, the SEC would snap them up in a heart beat.

Getting an invite is not even a concern.

Oh yeah? Says who? Not the SEC board today! Poooooor aggy.

The big concern right now seems to be if the Aggies are serious about jumping, or are they just using the SEC as leverage.

I disagree. I suspect it's probably more legal than anything. The SEC doesn't want to make the move until aTm divorces themselves from the Big 12, so they won't be liable in the damages aTm will have to pay the rest of the Big 12 when it happens.

aTm has the next move, which is to divorce itself from the Big 12. Once that happens, they'll join the SEC almost immediately.

I don't think aTm is using the Big 12 as leverage, mainly because there's not a lot of reason for aTm to try to get more out of the Big 12. Yeah, Texas gets a majority share, but what money aTm would end up getting wouldn't be near as much as they'd get from an expanded SEC, and they don't have the national star power to make their own TV network to augment it (like we do). Doesn't really make sense for them to stay either way if they have the opportunity.

Edited by BlueFire

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.