I have a hunch that at 4PM EST today

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way its done.

It doesn't seem that the NFLPA wants to unionize again.

This is going to drag out for a couple more weeks. I'm going with 4pm on August 4th.

People like to lump this in with UAW vs GM buts its different than that. The players are the ones that want a free market for player salaries.

The Owners are the ones that want a union regulated pay structure.

recertification is not a sticking point -- or at least not among the issues holding this thing back.

jw

no, players weren't presented with an entire deal yesterday. as Mawae has noted, they are not tied to the NFL owners timetable. what happens during the conference call is anybody's guess. and if owners send players a now-or-never ultimatum, well, all bets are off as to what happens.

still many issues on the table, and complicated by competing lawsuits. lots of moving parts to be resolved here, yet.

jw

They can slam 'em with an ultimatum? I'd love to see that!

I guess I'm missing something here.. Not only are the players not tied to the NFL owners timetable, they're not tied to the NFL. They quit. The way I see it, this is now really nothing more than a group of team owners of a hugely popular sport. What's stopping them from kicking all the players to the curb and start over with all new players. I know this sounds silly, but way more than half the players in the league aren't superstars, just good players -of which there are many thousands more to select from. The stars would eventually come crawling back. IMO, same goes for Basketball. Every neighborhood in the Country has elite palyers. The skills of the games have been effectively aced.

As a mostly forlorned Bills fan, I'd welcome a complete do-over, league wide.

with some due respect, and i can appreciate it's hot, and we're all a little touchy, and this thing has dragged on for quite some time, i think you should have reconsidered much of your post when you got to here. ...

jw

Yup. It's one of those if it sounds too good to be true, it's too good to be true things. If you are typing out, "I know this sounds silly", it's invariably going to be silly.

with some due respect, and i can appreciate it's hot, and we're all a little touchy, and this thing has dragged on for quite some time, i think you should have reconsidered much of your post when you got to here. ...

jw

yeah, I am frustrated -and silly.. :blush: nevermind..

I WANT this thing resolved!

Player's conference call is reportedly scheduled for 8pm. I bet it doesn't go down until at least tomorrow, if not later.

I've been watching that all day on NFL Network. Sounds like it's a sure thing there will be a conference call for the players and the union to recertify as soon as tonight.

Issues that may hold things up on the players side:

player lawyers are seeking for two of the named plaintiffs in the antitrust litigation, Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson and Patriots guard Logan Mankins, either free agency or multimillion-dollar settlements. In addition, players are seeking $320 million that owners did not have to pay in benefits during the 2010 season. And players could also still be seeking a limit on the number of times owners may put so-called franchise tags on players to just once in their careers.

link

If the OP hurries, he can still change that "EST" to "PST"...

I wouldn't do that. There is no shame in being wrong... especially on an internet message board.

With that being said, I have a feeling we will know something by tonight.... and hopefully be next week free agency will be well under way

link

Let Jackson and Mankins become UFAs. They deserve it. ;)

As for the benefits the players lost-out on, tough ****. But franchising a guy once seems reasonable.

link

I hope the NFL doesn't give an inch on these individual demands by guys like Jackson, Brady, Mankins, Manning, etc.

These guys were simply named plaintiffs in a class action, whose very premise was a leveraging tactic. This was never a real lawsuit. And if these guys are now claiming individually tailored relief (as opposed to class wide relief), let them file their own individual lawsuits against the NFL and fund those lawsuits themselves.

Very lame.

yeah, I am frustrated -and silly.. :blush: nevermind..

I WANT this thing resolved!

i hear you. and i'm glad you didn't take my post the wrong way.

thing is, i wouldn't expect a deal to be reached today. in fact, there's some -- stress "some" -- fear this could go on a lot longer.

jw