If Poz leaves, will you be upset??

Scrappy

Poz is a foundation guy. You want about about 7-8 guys like him and 3-4 real playmakers. Ilb in your 34 isn't going to be your superstar playmaker like a 43 MLB is.... He serves his role very well, and in a good defense you wouldn't be able to complain about him as he wouldn't have ol hitting him every play, wouldn't have to hold coverage as long etc...he also seems to be a decent qb for this defense and I like continuity in that role.

Bingo

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not much of a debate. Everyone seems to say he's a good starter but probably won't set the world on fire (minus 1-2 ppl). I think it's more an indictment on how the boards lost a lot of x's and o's people and is left with a high percentage of the "omg I can't believe anyone would disagree with me" posters.

Sad & true

It's been painfully obvious for years now.

evidence #1

Sad & true

evidence #1

If it pleases the court, I submit the past decade of ignorance as proof of poor talent being fielded. Even the Cardinals made a Superbowl during that time, with a old QB.

If it pleases the court, I submit the past decade of ignorance as proof of poor talent being fielded. Even the Cardinals made a Superbowl during that time, with a old QB.

And they play in the worst division in football where 7-9 makes the playoffs.

Know how many times in the last ten years we have been 7-9

Poz's reputation has been bigger than his play IMO, so I wouldn't be sorry to see him walk. I can't remember a big play & his stats are average, so he can help us make 8-8 ball a reality, if we're lucky.

I like POZ. Barely average LB who someone will overpay for.

Dear scrappy,

I am exited to get to coach a player like poz who plays his heart out every game and never complains, infect takes blame for defensive shortcomings.

I am glad to have a linebacker who isn't afraid to take on lineman, has pretty good hands and blitzes well.

Me and him are going to help each other and he will soon be respected league wide as one of the five best inside backers in football

Up yours......truly

Dave wannstedt

Dear scrappy,

I am exited to get to coach a player like poz who plays his heart out every game and never complains, infect takes blame for defensive shortcomings.

I am glad to have a linebacker who isn't afraid to take on lineman, has pretty good hands and blitzes well.

Me and him are going to help each other and he will soon be respected league wide as one of the five best inside backers in football

Up yours......truly

Dave wannstedt

Dear Dave,

After a thorough examination of the patient, I regret to inform you that our patient Paul Poz has an advanced form of osteoporosis / brittle bones. Please excuse him for this season & expect these events to occur nearly every season he'll play on the team. I have also concluded that his heart is strong but his body cannot endure anything past a college level of contact, much less near an NFL level. I find that his charted NFL history will be evidence to substantiate this to be the case & fully expect more of this to continue.

I'd also like to recommend that we overpay him by millions of dollars instead now of using that money to find healthy players in FA, knowing that your lazy butt would prefer not to make an effort to find someone better.

Your bed friend,

Dr. John Marzo Medical Director - Orthopedist

Edited by Scrappy

Dear Dave,

After a thorough examination of the patient, I regret to inform you that our patient Paul Poz has an advanced form of osteoporosis / brittle bones. Please excuse him for this season & expect these events to occur nearly every season he'll play on the team. I have also concluded that his heart is strong but his body cannot endure anything past a college level of contact, much less near an NFL level. I find that his charted NFL history will be evidence to substantiate this to be the case & fully expect more of this to continue.

I'd also like to recommend that we overpay him by millions of dollars instead now of using that money to find healthy players in FA, knowing that your lazy butt would prefer not to make an effort to find someone better.

Your bed friend,

Dr. John Marzo Medical Director - Orthopedist

:lol:

Ugh. You are as bad as scrappy.... Elite?

Poz is a foundation guy. You want about about 7-8 guys like him and 3-4 real playmakers. Ilb in your 34 isn't going to be your superstar playmaker like a 43 MLB is.... He serves his role very well, and in a good defense you wouldn't be able to complain about him as he wouldn't have ol hitting him every play, wouldn't have to hold coverage as long etc...he also seems to be a decent qb for this defense and I like continuity in that role.

What do you call Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis, Lawrence Timmons, Bart Scott, David Harris? Poz is a JOKE.

What do you call Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis, Lawrence Timmons, Bart Scott, David Harris? Poz is a JOKE.

There's 6 out of 30+ starting ILB in 34 schemes. Yes, there are exceptions. Poz is not a top 5 guy at his position but outside the jets, and maybe a couple teams he starts. Without question.

Imagine putting one of those guys next to him instead of in place of him.... Better idea maybe?

There's 6 out of 30+ starting ILB in 34 schemes. Yes, there are exceptions. Poz is not a top 5 guy at his position but outside the jets, and maybe a couple teams he starts. Without question.

Imagine putting one of those guys next to him instead of in place of him.... Better idea maybe?

Why keep less than mediocre on the field??

Edited by Scrappy

He's London Fletcher, 2.0.

He'll make 125 tackles, but none behind the line of scrimmage. He'll recover a fumble or two, but never force one. He'll be in his hole more often than not, but he's not bringing any wood when he gets there.

But we run a 3-4 and we have about 2.5 linebackers on the whole roster (poz, moats (.5), Merriman (.5) and our 3rd rounder (.5).

So I guess we gotta keep him. I guess.

More importantly, his pass coverage skills and abilities are abysmal.

Put another way, he sucks against the pass.

His "run stuffing skills" are perhaps slightly above average rendering him expendable.

We had one of if not the worst run stopping Defensive Line in the NFL last year. Of course if you put a few people in front of him that can actually make a tackle or stop a run, he will be better. People always criticize Poz because the majority of his tackles are downfield, well maybe if there was any confidence in the line pulling their share of the weight, and maybe they will with Dareus here now, he might not have to be a full time downfield tackler.

LB's job to read and react. DL's job to penetrate or tie up blockers depending on the call. But NO LB is going to always have a clean path to the ball. They have to explode into a blocker, shed the blocker and make a play. Or they have to be fast/quick enough to flow through the junk and get to the rock. Poz does not do this on a regular basis. I promise you, if Patrick Willis were playing in ILB for the Bills we wouldn't be having this conversation. Poz is not an explosive, powerful athlete. Bottom line. Poz is average. Good to keep around for continuity and character and decent play, but those players are on a team at the right cost. If the Giants want to overpay let him walk because the Bills can do better. Is Poz truly worth 8 million year?

You mention the DL, but Kyle Williams is a Pro Bowler. And he plays dead center in that defense. So he's a part of Poz's problem? I don't think so. If Poz comes back that's fine with me. If he walks that's fine with me too.

And if his name were Paul Jones I think most folks would see it that way.

Edited by purple haze

LB's job to read and react. DL's job to keep OL from getting to the LB's. Poz and the DL are to blame, not either or. He needs better line play and at the same time he needs to play better. I would just like to point out that Kyle Williams, everybody's all pro, was also in front of Poz so whose fault is it now?

Poz is average. Good to keep around at the right cost. But if the Giants want to overpay let him walk. Bills can do better.

Imagine how much better Kyle would be if he actually had help from our ILB?? That's one of the reasons I think it's time for a change, that & Poz is made of glass.

Edited by Scrappy

Like who? Please give us any examples that we can bring in to play this year that would do better than Poz. Andra Davis was a "name" 3-4 LB that we brought in last year, and he didnt even play as well as Poz. Considering Poz is being talked about as one of the top LB Free Agents, who is this magical upgrade?

I dont disagree that his position could/should eventually be upgraded, but Im only dealing with the reality that is this season, and where we are in Buddy's re-build.

Your last sentence is the one to analyze. You don't disagree that the position could/should be upgraded. You are dealing with the reality of this season and where we are in Buddy's rebuild...

So if Buddy is rebuilding, and Poz's position could/should eventually be upgraded, why resign Poz to a big money contract? If the Bills are rebuilding and can do better at the position then keeping him because fans don't think they have a better option this season is not a reason to keep Poz around. He should only be kept around at the right cost. What is the right cost? We will find out. I wouldn't mind seeing Poz return, but the Bills can find better players at that position and might have drafted one in Kelvin Sheppard.

Poz is pretty good, but he hasn't shown himself to be a difference maker.

Again, who would start next season if Poz goes? Would our linebacking corps be better in the fall of 2011 than they were in the fall of 2012? NO!!!!

Until there is a plan B on the board sign the guy who you have who most of experts see as pretty good.

Why are we talking about Poz when we have weaknesses galore in the offensive line and other positions?

Sign Poz and move on.

whoops..fall of 2011 than they were in 2010....actually before we let poz go we should also have some idea of what the defense should be looking like in 2012.

Again, who would start next season if Poz goes? Would our linebacking corps be better in the fall of 2011 than they were in the fall of 2012? NO!!!!

Until there is a plan B on the board sign the guy who you have who most of experts see as pretty good.

Why are we talking about Poz when we have weaknesses galore in the offensive line and other positions?

Sign Poz and move on.

whoops..fall of 2011 than they were in 2010....actually before we let poz go we should also have some idea of what the defense should be looking like in 2012.

Come on man you have been around long enough to know how things work here:

Step 1: Fire player.

Step 2: Then, and only then, think about if you have someone better to replace the player.

Step 3: Complain here when the replacement player is worse than the original player.

Step 4: (Optional) B word to high heaven about Mr. Wilson being cheap when the Bills don't sign a stud free agent at that position when either none is

available or if said stud player has no interest in playing for the Bills.

There, got it? Good :)

Your last sentence is the one to analyze. You don't disagree that the position could/should be upgraded. You are dealing with the reality of this season and where we are in Buddy's rebuild...

So if Buddy is rebuilding, and Poz's position could/should eventually be upgraded, why resign Poz to a big money contract? If the Bills are rebuilding and can do better at the position then keeping him because fans don't think they have a better option this season is not a reason to keep Poz around. He should only be kept around at the right cost. What is the right cost? We will find out. I wouldn't mind seeing Poz return, but the Bills can find better players at that position and might have drafted one in Kelvin Sheppard.

Poz is pretty good, but he hasn't shown himself to be a difference maker.

Eventually = 3-5 years from now.

What does "Big Money" mean to you? Because $3-6mil/year is not big money in the NFL. It's big money to me and you, but not in the NFL with an ever growing salary cap. No one has argued that we should sign Poz to a huge contract.

Like him or not, Poz has been our best LB. You keep him, and add talent where there are/were huge holes. In front of him (DL), and around him (other LBs). If he has already been solid for us, you have to assume his play will get better (or at least stay the same) with more talent around him. Then once that new talent catches on, you can re-evaluate Poz's position in a few years.

With that plan, you are not taking any steps backwards, and setting yourself up to be able to take bigger strides forward in the future. Instead of this cutting/replacing/hating/cutting/replacing/etc... cycle that the Bills have been on.

Keeping him because we dont have a better option this season is THE reason to keep him around!! Unless you want to STAY in this 4-12, 6-10, 7-9 cycle...

Edited by DrDareustein