If Poz leaves, will you be upset??

Scrappy

Based on everything Buddy sez, I expect Poz to be starting at ILB next year with no bigtime FA ILBs signed. Buddy sez he wants to keep the good guys we have and not lose them to FA like we've done in the past. He's also not real big on FA (a mistake IMHO, but it is what it is). I'm good with that.

Perhaps we should be more concerned about finding replacements for guys we have who are not very good?

I distinctly remember Buddy Nix at the Sr. Bowl saying the Bills desperately needed to find better inside LBs. So, maybe the bolded part is "The Plan"?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Poz may be just a very good linebacker NFL wide, but on this team he is a superstar who will only get better if they ever put quality players around him.

Yes

It's funny that people look past all fitzys interceptions and balls right to the chest of defenders that got dropped, look past all Stevie johnsons drops and shenanigans, forgave lynch when he was a bill, but have the audacity to call for pozs head.

Well after next season you guys wil be wearing the poz probowl edition jersey

Skullz out

Yes

It's funny that people look past all fitzys interceptions and balls right to the chest of defenders that got dropped, look past all Stevie johnsons drops and shenanigans, forgave lynch when he was a bill, but have the audacity to call for pozs head.

Skullz out

I hope you are correct, since I already wear his regular jersey.

Edited by billsfreak

Yes

Skullz out

Based on what? I'm just curious, but he's been in the league long enough now where we should be expecting some big plays from him and he's just not that guy. We look past Stevie's drops cause he made up for it with a breakout 1,000 yard season, Fitz's picks cause it was his first year in this offense, first in a true starting role, and because he threw for over 3,000 yards and kept us in some games against teams we had no business being in competition with. What has Poz done? To me he's just proved he's a middle of the road ILB who can't cover a tight end and makes tackles 10 yards down field. Pro bowl, not in his future...

This team will never get better until they find a way to not create holes while they are trying to fix other ones....

The line in front of Poz has been so bad for so long we really dont know how good he can be...we DO know that he can at least be solid. In a 3-4 defense you dont let players like that leave town creating holes that you hope will be filled by other players.

Agree with you there for the most part, except that Poz is expendable and can't play pass-D worth a steamer.

It's not like anyone should be upset if the team keeps him, unless they pay him as better than he is, which is an average NFL linebacker that is better at stopping the run than he is at pass D where he sucks, and as a player that can't seem to stay healthy much less finish 16.

Poz's reputation has been bigger than his play IMO, so I wouldn't be sorry to see him walk. I can't remember a big play & his stats are average, so he can help us make 8-8 ball a reality, if we're lucky.

Yeah, he's not worth it. This team is totally lacking All Pros. Unforunately He's not one. Agreed. His reputation is waaaaay bigger then his play. Worth a marginal/incentive based contract at best. And hasn't this guy been injury prone as well???

Based on what? I'm just curious, but he's been in the league long enough now where we should be expecting some big plays from him and he's just not that guy. We look past Stevie's drops cause he made up for it with a breakout 1,000 yard season, Fitz's picks cause it was his first year in this offense, first in a true starting role, and because he threw for over 3,000 yards and kept us in some games against teams we had no business being in competition with. What has Poz done? To me he's just proved he's a middle of the road ILB who can't cover a tight end and makes tackles 10 yards down field. Pro bowl, not in his future...

So Stevie gets a free pass on leading the league in percentage of drops, because he had one good season? Poz has been a leading tackler on this team for a couple years now. How may games has Poz single handedly lost? Stevie leads that one 1-0. Fitz's picks because it was his first year in that offense? Wasn't it Poz's first year in that defense too? Throwing a ball to a receiver is pretty much the same no matter which offense you are running-stupid mistakes are stupid mistakes no matter what the circumstance is. Why don't you just say you don't like Poz (even though he is probably the classiest, hardest working guy on the roster-not some idiot who thinks it has to be all about himself, getting fines and doing talk shows after one good game-only to turn around the next week and let down the whole team, organization, fanbase and Western New York), because the points you are bringing up to justify your opinion are making you sound silly.

Edited by billsfreak

So Stevie gets a free pass on leading the league in percentage of drops, because he had one good season? Poz has been a leading tackler on this team for a couple years now. How may games has Poz single handedly lost? Stevie leads that one 1-0. Fitz's picks because it was his first year in that offense? Wasn't it Poz's first year in that defense too? Throwing a ball to a receiver is pretty much the same no matter which offense you are running-stupid mistakes are stupid mistakes no matter what the circumstance is. Why don't you just say you don't like Poz (even though he is probably the classiest, hardest working guy on the roster-not some idiot who thinks it has to be all about himself, getting fines and doing talk shows after one good game-only to turn around the next week and let down the whole team, organization, fanbase and Western New York), because the points you are bringing up to justify your opinion are making you sound silly.

Luv u

Good point but singling out a player that brings excitement to the team & has a much higher level of talent than the league average ends this argument.

Edited by Scrappy

What sounds silly is anyone making excuses for Poz. The guy may be the leading tackler on the team but those tackles are made 5 to 12 yards from the line of scrimmage. And he seems to always be the last guy to jump on the pile when a gang tackle is made anywhere near the line of scrimmage. Just watch the games man.

What sounds silly is anyone making excuses for Poz. The guy may be the leading tackler on the team but those tackles are made 5 to 12 yards from the line of scrimmage. And he seems to always be the last guy to jump on the pile when a gang tackle is made anywhere near the line of scrimmage. Just watch the games man.

Based on message board hearsay, not fact. And that is also the DUMBEST argument to use against a LB. It was DUMB and incorrect when people said it about London Fletcher, and it's just as DUMB and incorrect when talking about Poz.

If you are upset about plays going for 5 yards, B word at the DLine.

Again, I implore anyone and everyone to watch this tape from the Bengals game and let me know the number of plays he should have made behind the line that he didnt. (oh yeah, there ARE a couple of tackles that come behind the line as well...) This is really a good example of Poz as a player, in general. Nothing "amazing", but solid on every almost every play, even though he has OGs taking a 5 yard sprint on him almost every play.

Worth the 5 minutes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRP-1ijvmyQ

Ive posted this film in here THREE times now, and so far, NONE of the haters have been able to point to any examples of him being a liability on the field. Even when he makes a "bad" play like the pass interference in the end zone, it is actually a smart play that saved a TD. And on the next play, POZ and KW stuff the run, forcing the Begals to settle for a FG instead of TD.

Edited by DrDareustein

+1. Particularly the point about covering people. Few people seem to understand that Puz SHOULD NOT be covering a TE, etc. That is the OLB's job. Our defensive coordinator is in over his head. We have a pro bowl NT and he still can't figure out a scheme to prevent people from running all over us. I say switch Edwards back to LB coach and promote Wanny. At any rate, this change will be done by the middle of the season after our defense still blows. After Wanny comes in, you'll see a huge improvement.

Based on message board hearsay, not fact. And that is also the DUMBEST argument to use against a LB. It was DUMB and incorrect when people said it about London Fletcher, and it's just as DUMB and incorrect when talking about Poz.

If you are upset about plays going for 5 yards, B word at the DLine.

Again, I implore anyone and everyone to watch this tape from the Bengals game and let me know the number of plays he should have made behind the line that he didnt. (oh yeah, there ARE a couple of tackles that come behind the line as well...) This is really a good example of Poz as a player, in general. Nothing "amazing", but solid on every almost every play, even though he has OGs taking a 5 yard sprint on him almost every play.

Worth the 5 minutes...

youtube.com/watch?v=CRP-1ijvmyQ

Ive posted this film in here THREE times now, and so far, NONE of the haters have been able to point to any examples of him being a liability on the field. Even when he makes a "bad" play like the pass interference in the end zone, it is actually a smart play that saved a TD. And on the next play, POZ and KW stuff the run, forcing the Begals to settle for a FG instead of TD.

Great video. The haters are just amazing. You can't have freaking Bruce Smith at every position. You need solid guys like Puz. He may not be a pro-bowl player, but with a solid D-line in front of him and an real D coordinator I think he is.

Edited by RyanC883

Great video. The haters are just amazing. You can't have freaking Bruce Smith at every position. You need solid guys like Puz. He may not be a pro-bowl player, but with a solid D-line in front of him and an real D coordinator I think he is.

So your argument for keeping "Puz" is that you can't have a Hall of Famer at every position? Underwhelming. As is the "great video" of his average, but hustling, play.

So your argument for keeping "Puz" is that you can't have a Hall of Famer at every position? Underwhelming. As is the "great video" of his average, but hustling, play.

If we had all 11 guys playing as solidly as Poz, we'd have a top 5 Defense. Point is, he isnt where you START fixing. You start by getting rid of your worst players, and replacing them with guys who are better than your current starters. Poz is not part of the problem, and letting him go only creates more holes in an already feeble defense.

You cant have a HoFer at every position, the trick is filling in around the great players with good, and that will help those good players be even better.

We should be able to re-sign Poz to a pretty reasonable contract. No reason to let him go. Those saying we should let him walk, and "good riddance" simply dont want the Bills to get better.

If we had all 11 guys playing as solidly as Poz, we'd have a top 5 Defense. Point is, he isnt where you START fixing. You start by getting rid of your worst players, and replacing them with guys who are better than your current starters. Poz is not part of the problem, and letting him go only creates more holes in an already feeble defense.

You cant have a HoFer at every position, the trick is filling in around the great players with good, and that will help those good players be even better.

We should be able to re-sign Poz to a pretty reasonable contract. No reason to let him go. Those saying we should let him walk, and "good riddance" simply dont want the Bills to get better.

Well I'll say this, if signing Poz allows the Bills to get better then I'm all for it.

Actually, I think one can replace their average players with better players too. No need to impose limits on your thinking that only replacing the worst player is a possibility. That said, there is no need to replace an average player with a bad player either.

As far as my HoF comment: The oft repeated comment that "you can't have HoF players at every position" is simply defeatist talk. It's an attempt to paper over the issues by suggesting that the Bills cannot get anyone better than an average player, so they might as well suck it up and re-sign average players rather than consider an alternative.

The best way to make sure the Bills continue to be a bottom feeder is to maintain the status quo.

First of all I'm not a Poz hater... but how can you show a 5 minute video from 1 game in the season to prove a players worth?

Your video doesnt even show any bengal scoring plays so its obviously biased. Showing that definitely doesnt hold any water in this argument.

Here's two things that keep getting forgotten or ignored in this discussion:

1) The Bills best inside linebackers are Poz and Andre Davis.

They drafted Kelvin Sheppard and Chris White. Both of them, barring injury will make the final roster this year.

The "others" are Keith Ellison, Akin Ayodele (both of whom are free agents), and Jamie Kirlew.

2) This is a very weak year for free agent inside linebackers. The consensus is that Poz is the best free agent ILB in this year's class. Short of a cap casualty (Nick Barnett?) there's no one out there better than Poz.

So what's the simplest way to improve this position?

Conclusion: However you feel about Poz, when confronted with these facts, I don't know how one can conclude that getting rid of Poz is a good move for the Bills.

This is your evidence on the type of player Poz is? I humbly rest my case. Good Lord, man, the guy is just not a very good linebacker.

Wow, you are not only a "rookie" in status on this board but you are also a "rookie" in learning anything at all about the game of football.