48% of everything for players

Mr. WEO

Yes, except we don't really fill the stadium. We haven't sold out late season games for a while. (And this year we have 3 December games.) Plus everything from the cheap seats to the luxury boxes go for about 1/3 less than the rest of the NFL. I think it's pretty obvious our revenues are considerably lower.

PTR

True...But how much of that is purely because The Bills have basically sucked over the past decade?...And you can't discount the fact that they have been poor at Home too (17-23 in the past 5 years)...After all, who really wants to to go watch a crap Team in poor weather conditions 6-8 times a year? Even the most die-hard Fan is going to burn out on that after a while...There is one cure for The Bills "Small Market" woes...And that cure is to Field a decent Team, and WIN AT HOME!!! B-)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely!

Football fans will watch any and all games on TV--even buy the NFL Ticket.

Not true for any other sport--except for gambling addicts.

I wouldn't go that far. I won't get into the details of a satellite vs. cable TV debate, but it's not like fans will blindly flock to DirectTV just to watch 10-12 games every Sunday and one on Thursday nights. I just don't see it happening easily.

Personally, I don't like the Thursday game every week. It won't matter too much to me, since the Bills wouldn't likely be on that schedule and if they're on NFLN (which is most likely to happen), I won't see it. But from a fan's perspective, I don't think we should be inundated with it all week long. The allure of the NFL is to give up your Sundays to relax and enjoy it. From the team's perspective, I think it really can be a pain in the toukas with respect to game-planning, travel, and other logistics. Let's stick with Sundays. The occasional Thursday game is ok (along with Thanksgiving), but let's not overdo it.

September 1 would cut in college football the worst. There are quite a few that night. As it stands now the season isn't starting until the Thursday September 8th game. That night there is a college game or two but going forward for the most part there is only one or two games each Thursday until the middle of December.

There is something else to consider choosing to play NFL games on every Thursday. Many high schools

play their games on that night too and ratings would suffer.

/i think the article was updated. It says:

An expansion of the Thursday night TV package to 16 games beginning in 2014, which could be a source of new revenue for the league, is also being weighed but is not a part of these talks.

Current TV deals make 2014 the target year for an extended Thursday package, not 2012, according to a source.

I think the idea is for them to land a new high-$ TV deal for the Thursday games. It's interesting that it says 16 game Thursday package given the season is 17 weeks long. I wonder which week they'd leave off.

I think the idea is for them to land a new high-$ TV deal for the Thursday games. It's interesting that it says 16 game Thursday package given the season is 17 weeks long. I wonder which week they'd leave off.

The last since the playoffs would start on Saturday - two days later

The last since the playoffs would start on Saturday - two days later

The Thursday games for any given week are played prior to that Sunday's games, not the following week.

That said, if the 16 v 17 isn't just an oversight of the article's author, it would make sense that it's the last weekend's Thursday game to make certain that nobody gets an extra 1/2 week off heading into the playoffs.

The Bills have been in the top-20 of total payroll for most the past decade, save for 2006 (right after the new CBA was signed) and for the first couple years of the decade, as TD tried to fix the cap mess left by Butler. IOW, there are a lot of other teams who will (also) have a problem with the 90% cap floor.

There also is the issue of how the luxury boxes play into this (and other things such as jersey sales, etc). I assume that these profits count towards calculating the cap but these profits are not shared amongst the teams...right? So isn't this the elephant in the room for the Bills? In other words, if the total used for the cap includes large chunks of money NOT made by the Bills, then the cap will put a strain on the Bills more than on, say, the Cowboys. Ralph had added to the prior CBA a pool of money that went from the big market to the small market teams (a brilliant move IMO). So, to conclude, will there be a similar cash pass to the smaller market teams? Will luxury boxes still not be shared bit still be counted? Does this not mean the higher low end limits the Bills ability to make a profit - in effect forcing the smaller market teams to pay a higher percentage of their profits than the large market teams?

I guess I just don't get the reason why the Bills are always mentioned as a small market team. Our stadium is one of the largest in the league and we pack it more than most teams do, first. The other thing is that we all ready spend very close to the cap every year. So when journalist hem & haw about Buffalo's small market year in and year out, and worry over how teams can cope, I tend to think it's more a matter of regurgitating the same old common misconception. Is the area less populated, yes. But when people think that the Bills organization doesn't prosper due to insignificant sales, they are off the mark. I live in Potsdam, NY now, a 5-6 hour drive and still manage to make it to a game now and then.

I know Ralph likes Buffalo to be portrayed as a small market so he can argue for revenue sharing, but I have seen the stadium sold out too many times to believe it.

Yes, attendance is there are ticket prices that are perhaps 1/3 of those charged in NYC, Washington, Dallas. The "small" market means the amount of revenue that can be collected from the locals. The per capita income in Buffalo is way below those big city areas. That makes Buffalo "small market...that is low pricing power for the Bills...they cannot charge three times what they now charge and still fill the stadium.

I like that they're talking about a ten year contract.

That's why both sides need to make sure it's a good agreement.

Probably why the owneres are taking a few extra days to understand it this time.

Edited by K-No

True...But how much of that is purely because The Bills have basically sucked over the past decade?...And you can't discount the fact that they have been poor at Home too (17-23 in the past 5 years)...After all, who really wants to to go watch a crap Team in poor weather conditions 6-8 times a year? Even the most die-hard Fan is going to burn out on that after a while...There is one cure for The Bills "Small Market" woes...And that cure is to Field a decent Team, and WIN AT HOME!!! B-)

Nothing quite like freezing your stones off watching a Dick Jauron led rag-tag group of waiver wire rejects blow a game in December...

But that's my point. I was responding to all those who claim Bills fans "fill the stadium" when they really don't.

PTR

Hmmm, I thought the movie (and show) Friday Night Lights was based on a High School team from Texas?

I wonder why they'd play games on Thursday nights instead of Fridays... that would indeed suck for those kids who'd have to miss NFL games.

We do it big here in Texas. We have high school varsity games on Thursday...the famous "Friday Night"

AND Saturday too!!

I told you guys I had this under control. Now get out there and buy some new NFL gear.

Yeah that stood out to me as well. So they want to have a Thursday game every week of the season?

If so that seems a bit much. Also, won't that cut into college football's weeknight games?

Who says college has the rights to Thursday? Would you rather watch the NFL or another VA Tech - ECU game?

We do it big here in Texas. We have high school varsity games on Thursday...the famous "Friday Night"

AND Saturday too!!

Everything's BIG in Texas!!! (Been thinking of moving there myself) :)

I told you guys I had this under control. Now get out there and buy some new NFL gear.

Who says college has the rights to Thursday?

Would you rather watch the NFL or another VA Tech - ECU game?

Yes sir Mr. Goodell…

It wasn't me, Mr. Goodell…

No sir, Mr. Goodell...

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Nothing quite like freezing your stones off watching a Dick Jauron led rag-tag group of waiver wire rejects blow a game in December...

I dont understand. The players make the NFL, not the teams. So if the Bills didn't have any superstars, why were you watching/supporting them?

Sounds like a good time for all!!! ;)

But that's my point. I was responding to all those who claim Bills fans "fill the stadium" when they really don't.

PTR

Fair enough...They don't...At least not as much as they used to...And they have good reason not to...Let's see if Buddy and Chan can do something about it before it's too late... B-)

I dont understand. The players make the NFL, not the teams. So if the Bills didn't have any superstars, why were you watching/supporting them?

You're again lumping casual fans together with Die Hard fans. Every team has it's Die Hards that root for their team no matter what. You can have a successful league catering only to those fans and those fans alone. But you don't become the giant the NFL has become ove the past two decades with only Die Hards. The largest portion of fans rare casual -- they root for good teams who have good players. Players sell the games, not the teams. Watch any lead in to any nationally televised game and you'll see that's just a fact.

Put it in other terms. I worked on a top ten show for awhile that drew about 13 million viewers a week. But, the network wanted NEW viewers which led to massive casting shakeups to get younger (and cheaper) ... The numbers plummeted. The show was the same. Same concept. Same stories. New, unknown cast? Our numbers dropped by over half. Those that stayed are the die Hards. The ones that would watch anything our show did because they were loyal. So what did the network do? They brought back the old cast and the numbers went back up instantly.

Spin it however you like, the bulk of NFL fans are casual fans. They change their loyalty to teams based on who has the most exciting players. To believe otherwise is just ignoring the truth.

Ok so the players lose $2 and the owners get back $2...but how much did they both lose on leaches? lawyers?

That hasn't been determined yet.

But the lawyers have definitely sucked enough blood… they're just adding to their fat layer at this point… like a brown bear gorging on salmon before the winter.

Except bears finally get full.