Miami turned down Ralph Wilson in 1959

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/6/17/2225530/ralph-wilson-buffalo-bills-miami-afl

The AFL had six owners when Ralph Wilson decided he'd give up his minority stake in the NFL's Lions to be the sole owner of an AFL franchise. Knowing he couldn't place an AFL team in his hometown of Detroit, he first settled on a city where many of his business dealing were. Miami had the Orange Bowl, a growing population, and no NFL franchise.

I spoke with Ange Coniglio of RememberTheAFL.com about why Miami turned down Wilson and the AFL. Miami's Orange Bowl was the only site capable of holding an AFL franchise, and had previously been used by the AAFC's Miami Seahawks.

"I think the problem was pro teams were not allowed in college stadiums there, which were the only ones available at the time," said Coniglio.

Miami turned down Wilson because Miami did not want the AFL at the time and preferred an NFL team. The problem with the Orange Bowl was not that pro teams could not play there, Wilson could not get them to agree to a lease and there was no where else to play in Miami back then.

this just in… sources just hours south of MIami in the island nation of Cuba…are telling us that Batista has been overthrown and that a man named Fidel Castro has installed himself as Premier of Cuba...

he won't last 6 months

this just in… sources just hours south of MIami in the island nation of Cuba…are telling us that Batista has been overthrown and that a man named Fidel Castro has installed himself as Premier of Cuba...

I'm sure our goverment has a foolproof plan to overthrow that commie.

There's a plane waiting for us to take us to Miami in an hour, alright? Don't make a big thing about it.

[He grabs FREDO on both sides of the face and kisses him on the mouth]

I know it was you, FREDO -- you broke my heart -- you broke my heart!

I thought everyone, even non-Bills fans knew this. Buffalo was at least Ralph's third choice, after his beloved Detroit who already had an NFL team and Miami. What is next, is someone going tell us that the Bills used to play in the AFL?