Perhaps some progress after 3 days of secret talks

Does anyone believe the league would be in this current situation if former players' rep Gene Upshaw (RIP) and former commish Paul Tagliabue were still running the show? Very doubtful. I think this labor issue speaks directly to DeMaurice Smith and Roger Goodell, in failing at their positions to get deals done.

Edited by JayBaller10

It directly reflects Paul Tagliabue and mess he left behind. If he was still in office mess would still be here and he would be cleaning up his own mess.

Exactly

The owners could always depend on Upshaw to bend over for them...it's not so easy for them without him in the picture.

Gene Upshaw took Tags to the cleaners last time around. Tags desire to get a deal done (a deal that was so bad for the owners that they opted out of) is why we are where we are.

DeSmith and Godell are meeting with some owners and players present. Why is it being called secret? It just sounds like a meeting. Maybe Private but definitely not "secret."

Edited by Why So Serious?

DeSmith and Godell are meeting with some owners and players present. Why is it being called secret? It just sounds like a meeting. Maybe Private but definitely not "secret."

Exactly. If it was a secret, why did they tell the media about it?

The meetings right now are not secret. But the previous meetings that were on tuesday, wednesday, and thursday, no one knew about until thursday evening. There were even some owners that had no idea until the media broke the story.

If this were the case that the players and owners are making progress (according to Goodell and PFT), that would be great news. But after reading what the lawyers pitched in a St. Louis court yesterday, it looks like the lawyers are possibly screwing things up even more. I think the lawyers should be dismissed period. Get rid of them and let the owners and players talk, and get a deal done. There is way too much at stake here, and I'm not talking about the players salary and the owners (ie Jerry Jones and his new shrine) having empty stadiums, but it's the little people (concession sales, event staff, non-player employees) who are taking it in the a$$!!!!

If this were the case that the players and owners are making progress (according to Goodell and PFT), that would be great news. But after reading what the lawyers pitched in a St. Louis court yesterday, it looks like the lawyers are possibly screwing things up even more. I think the lawyers should be dismissed period. Get rid of them and let the owners and players talk, and get a deal done. There is way too much at stake here, and I'm not talking about the players salary and the owners (ie Jerry Jones and his new shrine) having empty stadiums, but it's the little people (concession sales, event staff, non-player employees) who are taking it in the a$$!!!!

A case in court requires the presence of the lawyers, unfortunately.

There were no lawyers at the union/owners (other thn Smith) meetings this week.

Does anyone believe the league would be in this current situation if former players' rep Gene Upshaw (RIP) and former commish Paul Tagliabue were still running the show? Very doubtful. I think this labor issue speaks directly to DeMaurice Smith and Roger Goodell, in failing at their positions to get deals done.

I think it is more reflective of the newer owners, Jones, Snyder et al, bunch of prima dona's. The owners screwed up the last deal and are trying to recoup their past failure and set themselves up again. Once the deal is done, one should expect that they will cry they were screwed again and prices will jump.

I think it is more reflective of the newer owners, Jones, Snyder et al, bunch of prima dona's. The owners screwed up the last deal and are trying to recoup their past failure and set themselves up again. Once the deal is done, one should expect that they will cry they were screwed again and prices will jump.

The NFL has had two problems with Player Salaries that has caused this labor dispute.

1. Not having a real rookie salary cap, especially in the up front Bonus money department. Giving a 50M signing bonus to a player who has never played a down in the NFL is just insane and it kills the team having to pay that money in providing a better salary to the players who have earned it.

2. The imprudent spending of the Jerry Jones and Dan Snyders of the world, in overpaying for all the overrated free agents and thereby setting the bar high for the rest of these players. This marks teams without the necessary revenue to overreach for that one star player and there by shooting down the rest of the team. Thank God that at least Belichek has no interest in signing players that need huge signing bonus....Otherwise, Kraft will be part of this party too.