Drew Brees received just over 550K from NFLPA

Frankly, just like the salary of a CEO is nobody's business but the shareholders of that company, it's nobody's business how the NFLPA chooses to compensate their executives.

As long as the money isn't coming out of the taxpayers' pocket (like it does with gov't unions), this really shouldn't be an issue.

He's using that money to fund his practices (which are going lousy), which is like reinvesting in his team.

I haven't heard that they were going lousy. The teams at near 100% attendance for healthy guys and even has unsigned guys attending. Rave reviews all around from what I've heard and the little bit I have seen personally.

What seems odd to me is how exaggerated his payments are compared to others. I guess there are probably by-laws covering the situation but as a player I would want to know why the heck he is getting so much more.

If I had to guess, I'd say just because you and I don't know doesn't mean the players don't know.

The article is written by Jeff Nixon…a former NFL player…actually a former Buffalo Bills player.

Clearly his piece speaks to the schism between current and former players…so it certainly is his business as he has a stake in the current situation.

Another point…it is also somewhat our business what NFL Execs and employees AND Union members make because NFL teams by-and-large are subsidized by the communities in which they live. In one sense, they are a community asset…

While we aren't shareholders because these are privately held companies…we are in the conversation because without the fans, the NFL doesn't exist.

In that sense, it is our business.

The article is written by Jeff Nixon…a former NFL player…actually a former Buffalo Bills player.

Clearly his piece speaks to the schism between current and former players…so it certainly is his business as he has a stake in the current situation.

Another point…it is also somewhat our business what NFL Execs and employees AND Union members make because NFL teams by-and-large are subsidized by the communities in which they live. In one sense, they are a community asset…

While we aren't shareholders because these are privately held companies…we are in the conversation because without the fans, the NFL doesn't exist.

Just because they didn't write a press release explaining it, doesn't mean it's top secret information. My point was that if you are hands on with this stuff as a job, as opposed to an outside enthusiast - the knowledge base is probably different. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the number wasn't pulled out of thin air and the people effected by the choice probably have a better grasp than we do.

Just because they didn't write a press release explaining it, doesn't mean it's top secret information. My point was that if you are hands on with this stuff as a job, as opposed to an outside enthusiast - the knowledge base is probably different. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the number wasn't pulled out of thin air and the people effected by the choice probably have a better grasp than we do.

Undoubtedly (or indubitably…whichever one makes me sound more intelligent).

What seems odd to me is how exaggerated his payments are compared to others. I guess there are probably by-laws covering the situation but as a player I would want to know why the heck he is getting so much more.

I guess it is no longer a mystery why Brees is one of named plaintiffs in the lawsuit.

The (former) NFLPA needed to guarantee at least one big name player was willing to be named in the suitl

It would be interesting if Brady and Manning knew that Brees got those big bucks - or if there is some big money accrued on their behalf in that deferred comp slush fund.

I guess it is no longer a mystery why Brees is one of named plaintiffs in the lawsuit.

The (former) NFLPA needed to guarantee at least one big name player was willing to be named in the suitl

It would be interesting if Brady and Manning knew that Brees got those big bucks - or if there is some big money accrued on their behalf in that deferred comp slush fund.

the interesting part to me is that in any other negotiation, a top tier guy like brees making the type of money he's making (and getting another boatload in this capacity) makes him the defendant in the lawsuit, not lead plaintiff. it's a crazy game, this nfl.

In view of this revelation, does anyone now not understand why the owners will never disclose their finances?

There is corruption, secrets and hard to answer questions in any organization where there are huge sums of money involved. The only exception is Mother Teresa, who forgot the number of her secret Swiss Bank Account (just kidding).

Frankly, just like the salary of a CEO is nobody's business but the shareholders of that company, it's nobody's business how the NFLPA chooses to compensate their executives.

As long as the money isn't coming out of the taxpayers' pocket (like it does with gov't unions), this really shouldn't be an issue.

OH YEAH, try telling that to Dawkins, Richardson and Mawae!!!!...LOL You can't put toothpaste back into the tube.

Drew Brees is turning out to be the biggest money grubbing loser in this whole NFL mess. I remember reading a PFT article where Brees basically tells the NFL alumni who are poor and down on their luck to go scratch. Mr. Katrina hero will now looked upon as Mr. Greedy by not only the fans, but his professional peers.

OH YEAH, try telling that to Dawkins, Richardson and Mawae!!!!...LOL You can't put toothpaste back into the tube.

Drew Brees is turning out to be the biggest money grubbing loser in this whole NFL mess. I remember reading a PFT article where Brees basically tells the NFL alumni who are poor and down on their luck to go scratch. Mr. Katrina hero will now looked upon as Mr. Greedy by not only the fans, but his professional peers.

depends who you ask.

i think he understands the need to take care of those that paved the way, but i think he also understands that there is not a need to bail out guys that basically blew through their money in vegas. its not a problem you that you blindly throw money at. but i suppose it was a pft article, so who am i to question florio and his notorious knee jerk reactions....

depends who you ask.

i think he understands the need to take care of those that paved the way, but i think he also understands that there is not a need to bail out guys that basically blew through their money in vegas. its not a problem you that you blindly throw money at. but i suppose it was a pft article, so who am i to question florio and his notorious knee jerk reactions....

Well...Is knee jerk any different than assuming players blew all their money in Vegas? What % of ex players do you believe just blew their money blindly? Maybe 1%...2%??? Not saying the Owners are any better...But the new breed of SOME NFL Players is as greedy and selfish as it gets...I am surprised to hear Brees' name mixed in with the likes of some others...But then again, maybe I'm not... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Dissenting opinion

This confuses me though...

The NFLPA pays Brees for appearances and ad deals with partners. Brees is a Super Bowl winning quarterback and one of the highest profile players in all of sports. He's going to get that kind of cash.

"appearances and ad deals with partners"

What exactly does that mean? Has Brees done ads for the former NFLPA?

Maybe it is our business, but it seems to me, Nixon has an ax to grind, and is just throwing a bunch of stuff against a wall here...it seems this could be very incomplete information. Current players are going after owners, and former players are going after current players. I completely agree that former players deserve more than they have gotten in the past, it seems like Nixon is just going after D Smith, to show how much money is being made. He has some information about the NFLPA, but discounts what the owners are making, and what they are doing with their money. I really feel for the former players, every time I here Joe DeLamieleurre talk about it, I get amped up...but, sometimes, it seems like the former players are barking up the wrong tree.

Edited by Buftex

Exactly. I thought they disbanded? So, how can a union that doesn't exist be paying salaries?

The NFLPA disbanded as a labor union, but still exists as a trade association. And no, I'm not sure what a trade association is. I tried reading the wiki, but that just left me more confused.