Good Ole Boy

Most of you might have seen this but still a good watch....

What's the significance of the chunk of stone they're embracing at the end?

He keeps his head up and wraps. Me likey. Whitner take notes.

More arm strength to hold on just a bit longer would help - some guys with great balance will stay up when his grip slips

Just based on that short series of clips, I picture that kid lining up next to Poz in the middle as opposed to on the outside in the 3-4. Merriman - Batten - Poz - Moats...much better than last year

We didn't draft Sheppard to play the outside - Batton is being moved to the outside. I think Nix said as much...

Right. Merriman-Sheppard-Poz-Batten is what I'd like to see. But how great would it be to have some actual depth at the position (Moats-White-Davis)? Andra is still under contract, correct?

I think this year our LB corps is going to be a strength position with the players added in the draft & Wanny coaching them man it will be awesome !!

Batten is going to be a major bad ass in this corp just think :rolleyes: the possibilities !!

This not being in any positional order -

Merriman - Poz - Sheppard - Moats - Batten - Ayodele - Davis - :w00t: Plus the other guy drafted this year (of which i can't remember his name) & then the depth that is Kelsay , & Torbor i don't see how this position this year can't be a strength in this team !! :thumbsup:

massive sarcasm?

I think this year our LB corps is going to be a strength position with the players added in the draft & Wanny coaching them man it will be awesome !!

Batten is going to be a major bad ass in this corp just think :rolleyes: the possibilities !!

This not being in any positional order -

Merriman - Poz - Sheppard - Moats - Batten - Ayodele - Davis - :w00t: Plus the other guy drafted this year (of which i can't remember his name) & then the depth that is Kelsay , & Torbor i don't see how this position this year can't be a strength in this team !! :thumbsup:

Love the way this kid tackles. Every DB in the NFL needs to take note. Face up and into the man, wrap and drive. James Harrison and the rest of the dirty hitters could learn something too.

Please please please lord, let some of these kids develop into what we're hoping theyll be....

Just based on that short series of clips, I picture that kid lining up next to Poz in the middle as opposed to on the outside in the 3-4. Merriman - Batten - Poz - Moats...much better than last year

Talk about a guy with a motor ... if our LB corps is healthy this coming year I can see Poz sitting on the bench with Merriman, Batten, Sheppard, and Moats. Poz has never shown a willingness to be the fired up attack dog linebacker in the middle that we need plus he can't cover a tight end nor a running back coming out of the backfield. His talent is in chasing down those who have gone by him.

It does seem that Buddy and crew have been paying attention these last two drafts and hopefully this year we will get the benefits from a new style of Bills defensive player who is not about bending upfield like Poz but instead on the attack to push back and stop them in their tracks.

Right. Merriman-Sheppard-Poz-Batten is what I'd like to see. But how great would it be to have some actual depth at the position (Moats-White-Davis)? Andra is still under contract, correct?

I can't see Batten unseating Moats at ROLB. Based on this video, I would project Batten as a LOLB anyway. Also, since the Bills are playing a 4-3/3-4 "hybrid", there will be a lot of even fronts that include Kelsay as a LDE, probably in lieu of Merriman or Sheppard. Still, if everyone can stay healthy it should be an upgrade over last season!

Yeah he's still under contract but i like what Ayodele did last year more then davis, Akin is more versatile :thumbsup:

I can't see Batten unseating Moats at ROLB. Based on this video, I would project Batten as a LOLB anyway. Also, since the Bills are playing a 4-3/3-4 "hybrid", there will be a lot of even fronts that include Kelsay as a LDE, probably in lieu of Merriman or Sheppard. Still, if everyone can stay healthy it should be an upgrade over last season!

Maybe alittle 4-3 with Kelsey/Batten - Williams - Dareus - Carrington/Moats with Merriman - Poz - Sheppard @ LB and the 3-4 could go Carrington/Edwards - Williams/Troupe - Dareus with Merriman/Batten - Poz - Sheppard - Moats @ LB maybe we can even actually see Maybin with his hand off the ground just straight running around LT's :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Maybe alittle 4-3 with Kelsey/Batten - Williams - Dareus - Carrington/Moats with Merriman - Poz - Sheppard @ LB and the 3-4 could go Carrington/Edwards - Williams/Troupe - Dareus with Merriman/Batten - Poz - Sheppard - Moats @ LB maybe we can even actually see Maybin with his hand off the ground just straight running around LT's :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I like some of the glimpses that I saw from Carrington last season. I think he could really push Edwards for playing time at DE. Merriman - Poz - Sheppard looks like a LB group that would be fun to pass against...

Edited by vincec

Not the most impressive cut-up tape I've ever seen of a linebacker. Its okay, I guess.

But I did note one thing. I heard Charles Davis complain about Kelvin Sheppard. Said the only thing about Sheppard's tape is that he kept waiting for Sheppard to "drop the hammer" (or some similar metaphor) or "lay the wood" or something. Said Sheppard gets to where he needs to be, then just makes a regular play, not a dominating play. I instantly thought of London Fletcher, making 125 tackles, 124 of which are 5 yards down field.

Batten doesnt seem to have that particular problem.

Talk about a guy with a motor ... if our LB corps is healthy this coming year I can see Poz sitting on the bench with Merriman, Batten, Sheppard, and Moats. Poz has never shown a willingness to be the fired up attack dog linebacker in the middle that we need plus he can't cover a tight end nor a running back coming out of the backfield. His talent is in chasing down those who have gone by him.

It does seem that Buddy and crew have been paying attention these last two drafts and hopefully this year we will get the benefits from a new style of Bills defensive player who is not about bending upfield like Poz but instead on the attack to push back and stop them in their tracks.

Poz has only gotten better with each passing season, and makes plenty of tackles around the line of scrimmage. Improve on last year's porous defensive scheming and defensive line personnel (which we've hopefully done on both counts), and he'll make even more plays around the line of scrimmage. Early in his career Poz had a habit of getting overexcited and overrunning plays and things of this nature...thats been all but eradicated and he seems to be in the right gap more often than not. Good at shedding blocks and a reliable tackler.

This "only makes tackles 8 yards from the L.O.S." is the same bogus criticism I'd read about London Fletcher, who was an outstanding player and only made better whatever defenses he played for. If Poz is retained you won't see him sitting on the bench while Danny Batten and Kelvin Sheppard man the middle anytime soon.

I find it funny. When Poz was drafted everybody was blowing smoke up his a$$ like they are Batten and Sheppard. Don't hold these guys to unrealistic expectations. Sheppard is a rookie and Batten pretty much is as well. They are going to play good (cross my fingers), but how good is up in the air.

Personally I like Poz. I think he is awesome. He will look even better once he gets more talent around him.

I hope our defense finally turns the corner, but chances are it is going to take more time. These are young kids. Even Poz is young. It is going to take a bit of time.

I like some of the glimpses that I saw from Carrington last season. I think he could really push Edwards for playing time at DE. Merriman - Poz - Sheppard looks like a LB group that would be fun to pass against...

I sincerely hope Carrington pushes Edwards for PT. I was not impressed with Edwards last year at all.

I hate that this kid missed his entire rookie year. I still remember Florence tweeting how impressed he was with him, two days into TC, mind you. Until his injury he was taking second string reps behind Kelsay so I assume that the coaches envisioned this kid eventually being able to play that hibrid position where he can play standing up or as a defensive end (like he did in College)

After his injury and the signing of Merriman his future position became a little blurry; even though Gailey said they might move him inside, after the draft, I believe he is back to being projected outside and, as you said, LOLB/DE.