Drafts over. What free agents should we go after?

All this assuming a new CBA and not 2010 free agent rules:

CB Drayton Florence, let's get this guy resigned.

TE Matt Spaeth, great size and blocker, hasn't had an opportunity in the passing game in Pitt

SS Eric Weddle, if Donte isnt retained.

QB Brodie Croyle, has experience under Chan, still perhaps a shred of upside.

OLB Matthias Kiwanuka, has an injury history so could actually be a viable option, just don't have faith in Moats to hand him the starting job.

I definitely agree with Florence...The Bills #1 Priority in Free Agency is getting Drayton back...If they can't re-sign him they better get another Vet who can play..,.

Spaeth would be an interesting option at TE...I don't mind that idea at all...

I can't imagine SD letting Weddle walk...I definitely want George Wilson Re-Signed...I think the Bills may try to get by on the cheap here having Drafted Searcy...But there are an absolute TON of potential UFA Safeties...This is an area that I can see Buffalo landing a decent Player just due to all the names available...I am watching the Michael Huff Situation closely though...The fact that he is close with Aaron Williams may help, though he's already stated he can't wait to talk to Jerry Jones when Free Agency officially opens...So I can see where that is going...I still think The Bills can get a REAL good option at Vet Safety for half of what Whitner is asking for...

I'd rather see The Bills go after a QB with more upside than Croyle or Thigpen...Either would do as strictly a Back-Up I guess...I have to wonder if Nix/Gailey liked Cam Newton as much as some say they did, how they feel about Vince Young?...Say what you will about Young, but in his last 21 Games Combined his QB Rating was 88.97...He completed close to 60% (59.28) of his Passes and had 20 TD's to 10 Int's...He also had over 400 Yards Rushing and 2 TD's in that span...In comparison over the past 2 seasons Fitz had 21 starts and a 77.69 QB Rating, 32 TD's to 25 INT's, 410 Yards Rushing and one TD...Fitz and Young are basically the same age...You HAVE to wonder what Gailey thinks of VY coming to Buffalo...

I think Kiwanuka is a DE and would struggle at OLB in a 3-4...How about Kam Wimbley (though he's not going to come cheap)? He's at least played some OLB...Maybe a young guy like SD's Antwan Barnes (4.5 Sacks in 11 Games as a Back-Up)...

No question though...CB, S, TE, QB, and an OLB would be great!... B-)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LB Resign Poz.

S Resign Whitner(I'll probably get bashed for this, but he is the best available)

CB Resign Florence(He has a lot of experience and we need a leader for our new CBs)

TE Andre Smith(We need some depth here and he has some upside)

QB - we need one or two on our roster but I am up in the air on who. The way I see it, we could either grab two young guys with potential or we could grab one viable veteran starter that can win games in Fitz's absence. I like Hasselbeck or Palmer but there really is a very small chance of getting wily veterans like this. I know a lot of people like Thigpen, but he just scares me. Tough call here.

As for the offensive line, I think with the addition of Hairston and our acquisitions from the last couple of years we can stand pat here. Wood, Levitre, Hangartner, Bell, Urbik, Wang and a couple of lesser known backups are on this team as well. Baring major injuries we are good. If we acquire anyone it'll be a be a tackle.

Front seven is looking pretty good with the last couple of year's acquisitions, though you can never have enough LBs. We are looking great at the tackle positions and DE positions. K. Williams, Troupe, Carrington, Dareus, D. Edwards, Jasper all show great promise. I don't know if any of our LBs are probowl worthy, but with a front like this, they are bound to look better.

Skill positions like RB and WR also look pretty good. We still don't know what we have in Easley but he'll be back this year and the rest of our line-up is certainly nothing to sneeze at. We have some very dangerous weapons in the arsenal. Our new running back is considered a one cut and up the field runner who is very good at finding running lanes between the tackles. This is something that Spiller struggled with last year. A nice complimentary pick. I think we can stand pat here as well.

Greatest needs at this point appear to be QB, TE and LB. We have some talent but in these three positions, I would not say great talent. It is possible that a couple of stars will rise out of this group but QB and TE at the very least need depth.

I can't imagine SD letting Weddle walk...I definitely want George Wilson Re-Signed...I think the Bills may try to get by on the cheap here having Drafted Searcy...But there are an absolute TON of potential UFA Safeties...This is an area that I can see Buffalo landing a decent Player just due to all the names available...I am watching the Michael Huff Situation closely though...The fact that he is close with Aaron Williams may help, though he's already stated he can't wait to talk to Jerry Jones when Free Agency officially opens...So I can see where that is going...I still think The Bills can get a REAL good option at Vet Safety for half of what Whitner is asking for...

I think Kiwanuka is a DE and would struggle at OLB in a 3-4...How about Kam Wimbley (though he's not going to come cheap)? He's at least played some OLB...Maybe a young guy like SD's Antwan Barnes (4.5 Sacks in 11 Games as a Back-Up)...

SD signed Bob Sanders before the CBA expired, took it as a sign of Weddle's demise in SD. Wilson already resigned with the Bills.

Kiwanuka started all of 2007 at LB for the Giants and played parts of 2009 in a 4-3. Not sure why he wouldn't be able to handle the switch to 3-4, especially if it is going to take advantage of his pass rush skills.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

My short list:

QB: Tyler Thigpen or Tarvaris Jackson - both mobile QBs with experience that can win a few games if needed

TE: Matt Spaeth - solid blocking TE with good hands; comes from a winning culture in Pittsburgh

OT: Tyson Clabo - nasty RT that is a bona fide starter

DE: Trevor Pryce - veteran 5-tech that can teach Dareus and lead in the locker room, plus he'll come cheap

LB: Kirk Morrison - solid-but-unspectacular inside LB, could be a perfect fit in a 3-4

Hard to argue with this list

SD signed Bob Sanders before the CBA expired, took it as a sign of Weddle's demise in SD. Wilson already resigned with the Bills.

Kiwanuka started all of 2007 at LB for the Giants and played parts of 2009 in a 4-3. Not sure why he wouldn't be able to handle the switch to 3-4, especially if it is going to take advantage of his pass rush skills.

Good info...I did not realize Kiwanuka played OLB...Is Weddle a Free or Strong? I'm sure he won't be cheap as an up and coming young guy...But all I hear is good things about him... B-)

Tyson Clabo- unlikely, but he'd be the biggest difference maker

Cullen Jenkins- very unlikely, would solidify our DL as our best and deepest group.

Zach Miller- obtainable, still unlikely because it would make too much sense.

Vince Young or Tyler Thigpen- hate on young all you want, he's been a winner all his life and he has the tools Chan likes. Just maybe not the brain.

Any Pass rushing OLB- doubtful. I think our FO likes the guys we have and plan on seeing how they play this year.

Resign Poz and Florence. Good chance on both

Resign whitner- while he's not my favorite bill and he does have his flaws, he's still better than what we have. I doubt he's gonna get the money he's looking for, so if we can get him for reasonable price tag, I'd be all for it.

As far as UDFA's: Mark Herzlich, Kenric Burney CB, from North Carolina, Deunta Williams S, from North Carolina.

As far as NFL FA's: Kevin Boss, Tyson Clabo, Logan Mankins,

Tyler Thigpen/Travaris Jackson.

Resign: Poz, Whitner and Florence. Build the team. Not continually replace people. Nix has said this is what the good teams do. And so far he does what he says he will do. Besides Poz and Whitner are still 25 years old. Young, solid players. Florence is older, but still contributes and would be good for a young secondary.

Edited by purple haze

Kiwi is an injured option, btu I heard he was cleared by the Docs in NY(NJ). I really like his LB and DE experience. Te should be a focus, but I really dont think Chan is going to use TEs much. I would really like to see Florence and Poz resigned, as well as a RT who can START - please no scabs like Cornell Green.

2 or 3 guys at OLB/TE/RT would be nice.

I'll start by saying I'd like to go after many FAs now that the draft is over. Personally I feel the timeli e is better to have the draft and then the FA period. With that being said, here's my list of potentials I'd like to see brought in for visits:

QB

Young is my number 1. Ya, he's been very controversial but if we keep him to back up duty this year and give him a shot to start next year we could get a good look at what he is first hand and what he COULD become. At the least, as a backup he's a good pickup.

Thigpen would be my 2nd choice since he has already worked with CG

OL

Clabo would be huge and bridge the gap between so e of our younger players u til they are ready to take over as starters.

Gallery is my 2nd choice. But he would at best be starting at G not T, and be a good backup/depth option on the line.

TE

Boss, Miller, Scaife in that order

LB

Morrison is about the only one that I'm aware of since I haven't looked at the FA lists that much.

Kimwanuka could potentially fit in as a DE or an OLB and would be worth every penny

CB

Asumough is by far the best FA available and would be huge if we landed him. If we offered him a contract to be the highest paid CB in the league it would be worth it.

S

Weddle would also be a good pickup.

Before any of this takes place it's important to resign Florance first and foremost. It would give us Asomough at starting CB along with Florance, McGee and McKelvin. And would give us a chance to find out if we would rather have Williams at CB or SS

Then Poz

Then Think hard about Whitner. He may not be amazing and he's been a crybaby, but would give us a year or two until Searcy can start.

Has anyone heard an update on Shawn Nelsons migraines???

Last I heard he was curled up in the fetal position in a dark corner…whimpering in pain.

couldn't help notice Kirk Chambers is just sitting there - sitting there waiting to be called. Have to beat the pats to it

Sitting by the phone…looking at the clock every few minutes…fingers drumming on the table...

My short list:

QB: Tyler Thigpen or Tarvaris Jackson - both mobile QBs with experience that can win a few games if needed

TE: Matt Spaeth - solid blocking TE with good hands; comes from a winning culture in Pittsburgh

DE: Trevor Pryce - veteran 5-tech that can teach Dareus and lead in the locker room, plus he'll come cheap

LB: Kirk Morrison - solid-but-unspectacular inside LB, could be a perfect fit in a 3-4

Thigpen is more of a gimmick QB and Jackson plain stunk against Buffalo in December. Trevor Pryce is at the end of his career, but I'd be fine with Tyson Clabo. Unfortunately, they already have Erik Pears, who will dominate now that he's on his 4th team in 3 years.

I truly don't think Nix cares for spending big resources on his OT's, unless of course it's for a 34 year old has-been spouse abuser.

I truly don't think Nix cares for spending big resources on his OT's, unless of course it's for a 34 year old has-been spouse abuser.

I agree, I think it's obviously not a position he values very highly. I think the Cornell Green signing was more of a panic move he was forced into when Butler retired. He didn't want to trust the position to a rookie & there wasn't much available in free agency for the position & didn't want to give up resources (draft picks & money) in a trade.

My short list:

Thigpen, Spaeth and Clabo would represent an absolutely successful offseason. Maybe not as flashy as some would like but definitely an improvement.

My short list:

For one, we don’t need any more LB's if we sign Poz we still have 11 LB's on the roster; and Trevor Pryce (DE) "Locker room leader veteran 5-tech that can teach Dareus" don't we already have one of them too in D. Edwards so why waste our money and time pursuing Pryce. The only one I would agree with here is Spaeth but that is only if we can't get Boss or Miller. I also like Tyler Thigpen as the backup for Fitz although I would like to see us go with more youth. I still say sign J. Johnson from Texas A&M to be our backup and get coached up. That kid did get benched but just cause the team wasn't responding, he is a gun slinger with an incredible arm and can make all the throws (just watch tape of the Texas A&M vs OKLA State game) he did lose the game for the Aggies cause he was a little over aggressive. I think Chan can do wonders with him.

Kerry Collins

Owen Danials

Thigpen is more of a gimmick QB and Jackson plain stunk against Buffalo in December. Trevor Pryce is at the end of his career, but I'd be fine with Tyson Clabo. Unfortunately, they already have Erik Pears, who will dominate now that he's on his 4th team in 3 years.

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic.

I'm not sure what you'd expect out of a backup QB, but a guy that can lead your team to 38 points off the bench isn't my definition of "just plain stunk".

For one, we don’t need any more LB's if we sign Poz we still have 11 LB's on the roster; and Trevor Pryce (DE) "Locker room leader veteran 5-tech that can teach Dareus" don't we already have one of them too in D. Edwards so why waste our money and time pursuing Pryce. The only one I would agree with here is Spaeth but that is only if we can't get Boss or Miller. I also like Tyler Thigpen as the backup for Fitz although I would like to see us go with more youth. I still say sign J. Johnson from Texas A&M to be our backup and get coached up. That kid did get benched but just cause the team wasn't responding, he is a gun slinger with an incredible arm and can make all the throws (just watch tape of the Texas A&M vs OKLA State game) he did lose the game for the Aggies cause he was a little over aggressive. I think Chan can do wonders with him.

Kerry Collins

Owen Danials

Several things to address here:

1) Even if the team re-signs Poz, they'd have 2 ILBs with starting experience (assuming they keep Andra Davis)...not enough.

2) Compare the careers of Edwards and Pryce sometime, I'd say one has been far, far more successful than the other. Pryce would come very cheap, and I don't know about you, but I don't consider Edwards--with 34 career starts--to have the same locker room affect of a guy like Pryce, who has played 15 seasons and won 2 superbowls.

3) I'd vastly prefer to have a backup with some NFL experience, as opposed to an undrafted free agent rookie that couldn't hold onto a starting job in college. That doesn't exactly instill confidence in me that the guy would be able to direct an offense in the event that something happens to Fitzpatrick. Johnson is the kind of guy that you groom on the practice squad, not as your #2.

4) Kerry Collins was awful last year, no thank you.

5) Owen Daniels signed a new deal with Houston in early March, he's not a free agent:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3733/player?r=1

Bo Scaife...He fits a need, and your description. Looks to me like he's the best TE available, and one of the only names that is worth going after. I went 1 for 9 myself, but I can't say I'm disappointed in any way. Anyone know what the deal is regarding the ability to sign UDFA's?

Sorry but I'd be more concerned about R Gosselin's record than your 1 / 9, based on his great track record about drfat predictions among drfatniks, just sayin...

Kevin Boss and Jeremy Trueblood. These players would instantly improve this football team and take us to a level of respectability imo.

Throw in resigning Poz and signing Steven Cooper along with a decent backup OLB and I would be on board for that.

I would luv to have Zack Miller or Boss but I'm not entirely convinced that a typical TE is essential to Chan's offense. At the very least we should get a good blocking TE. A Metz type. If the FO doesn't go hard for a quality semi-young TE in FA then I'll be more convinced of my suspicions.