Gus Johnson and his energetic calls leave CBS

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what CBS is thinking here. Gus is a broadcasting talent. He easily made some of the Bills games last season much more tolerable. Don't even get me started how amazing he is during March Madness.

I like him as a football commentator. I been saying he's the best commentator for a few years now, but did you hear him during the NCAA bball tourney?? He was god awful. Screaming at the top of his lungs in the first half of games as if it was the final play. He made me ill. He's been commentating basketball for years, and was never as loud and as obnoxious as he was last year. Have you heard him on showtime, commentating for strikeforce? He's laughable. He doesn't know the sport and is again, god awful. As for football, I liked him last year and years before that. It seems to me, based on his "performance" in the tourney and strikeforce, that his style may be changing for the worse. It may be, that CBS heard the same thing I heard watching the tourney and thinks the same thing...he's getting worse. He wants to get PAID, and they dot think he's worth it. For football, he may be worth it, but overall, they don't think he's worth the money he wants.

Big loss for football. Big gain for college basketball. I'm sure we'll here him somewhere, just not during bills games.

Rick Jeanneret?

You really can not compare the 2. First Johnson is on a national stage & he broadcasts games that the whole country watches. Jeanneret is a local guy that broadcasts games that quite frankly noone is interested in except Sabre fans. Two different things. Johnson for football & especially college basketball is the best play by play man in the business. It is not even close.

Gus is simply the best out there, period!

he just adds to the game like no other announcer can and has the ability to make a boring game between two bad teams interesting

You really can not compare the 2. First Johnson is on a national stage & he broadcasts games that the whole country watches. Jeanneret is a local guy that broadcasts games that quite frankly noone is interested in except Sabre fans. Two different things. Johnson for football & especially college basketball is the best play by play man in the business. It is not even close.

This explanation doesn't hold water, at all. Having the "national stage" doesn't add quality to a broadcaster's skills. FWIW, Rick has been wooed by national networks over the years and refused because he prefers Sabres' broadcasts. His calls are so well regarded by ESPN that they've been regularly included in highlights, despite the fact he is "only" a local PBP man.

He is also an unquestioned Hall of Famer in his sport (ie, the Elmer Ferguson award) whereas Gus Johnson is not in that conversation, at all. Perhaps he will be someday (I personally doubt it) but certainly not now.

Edited by Punch

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy Gus' orgasmic calls over the most mundane of plays? There's a reason he was CBS' 6th best play-by-play man on Sundays.

He could make a Bills/Browns game watchable. How many other announcers could do that?