Gus Johnson and his energetic calls leave CBS

This explanation doesn't hold water, at all. Having the "national stage" doesn't add quality to a broadcaster's skills. FWIW, Rick has been wooed by national networks over the years and refused because he prefers Sabres' broadcasts. His calls are so well regarded by ESPN that they've been regularly included in highlights, despite the fact he is "only" a local PBP man.

He is also an unquestioned Hall of Famer in his sport (ie, the Elmer Ferguson award) whereas Gus Johnson is not in that conversation, at all. Perhaps he will be someday (I personally doubt it) but certainly not now.

You really can not compare the two. Johnson is on a national stage & Rick is in a local market. The competition & expectations are different. I have grown tired of Rick for awhile now. I just do not like his style of announcing. He is a Mickey Mouse announcer, always trying to come up with the stupid one liner. Johnson does that too but I think it works alot better for him. Just my opinion so don't get offended.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He could make a Bills/Browns game watchable. How many other announcers could do that?

Perhaps I'm a different cat. I've never needed an announcer to draw my interest -- in fact, the majority of the time I'd prefer they shut up.

Announcers are good for one thing -- radio.

Gus Johnson is easily the best play by play man in the NFL. Made games much more exciting. Or perhaps you prefer Joe Buck, who makes the superbowl sound like a pre-season game?

Only one I like nearly as much is Ian Eagle.

I guess I'm in the minority -- I find Johnson's act to be overdone and annoying. I don't need an announcer hyperventilating to get me excited about a good game or to keep me interested in a bad one. Announcers should be background noise, nothing more.

I guess I'm in the minority -- I find Johnson's act to be overdone and annoying. I don't need an announcer hyperventilating to get me excited about a good game or to keep me interested in a bad one. Announcers should be background noise, nothing more.

Agree completely with you. He never impressed me with his knowledge of the game, either.

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy Gus' orgasmic calls over the most mundane of plays? There's a reason he was CBS' 6th best play-by-play man on Sundays.

Nope, you're not the only one. I wish him well, but I sure won't miss him.

I agree 100%. I cant stand Gus Johnson. The constant hyperbole and shouting….shut up. I don't understand how anyone could enjoy him. To each their own but IMO, good riddance.

Johnson was great. Him and Tasker made my sunday mornings. I agree with the previous post about him making many a bills browns game watchable. Also, the bills beating the bungles last year was great with him. Frankly, the Bills terrible, we could lose at any second, play was great with Gus. I could be three rooms away and hear his shouting the calls. I will definetly miss his calling the games.

i used to like gus but i think he jumped the shark after he got all the national attention and the gigs on the football games (was it madden or nfl xx?)

seems like once he felt he had 'arrived' he just kept going all in, which actually was 'too much' as he was forcing it

hopefully hes learned and will go back to just being his normal un-played out self

i used to like gus but i think he jumped the shark after he got all the national attention and the gigs on the football games (was it madden or nfl xx?)

seems like once he felt he had 'arrived' he just kept going all in, which actually was 'too much' as he was forcing it

hopefully hes learned and will go back to just being his normal un-played out self

Of course, noone should ever try to make more $ or better themselves, and get more exposure.

Except yourself, I am sure.

Good for Gus. I am just glad ESPN didn't get him.

I also do not think you are in the minority. On the face of it I think there is a camp which likes Johnson and a camp which dislikes him and my guess is that they are fairly evenly split. However, I think the vast majority of watchers do not tune in looking for a particular announcer and actually will not refuse to watch their team simply because there is an announcer they hate.

There certainly are those of us who look back fondly at the 70s game which actually had no announcers and only used ambient crowd noise. Though this game was panned by those who make their money commenting on the job announcers who were left out of the game, I thought it was an interesting experiment.

I would love to see another announcer less game today. Given technological advances like the line on the screen which shows the first down point, enhanced graphics which consistently show you the game clock, down and distance and other relevant factoids, I could easily get by with an announcer who pops in from time to time (as little as possible) to give me info such as an explanation of an odd ref call which does not lend itself to a crawl.

Particularly given today's internet with simultaneous game info and better directional mikes which can give you enhanced sound, I am confident that the few big problems I felt with the announcerless game could be dealt with and annoying and stupid announcers (like Dierdorf) and the vacilating homer calls many announcers endorse based on what they perceive is the story line would be be great.

I don't think it's been addressed in the latter part of this discussion but there's a phenomenon which occurs as an announcer gains popularity and acceptance.

It's when that announcer is emboldened by his rave reviews…in Johnson's case, his enthusiasm. Often times this becomes a self-perpetuating force which eventually causes that announcer to basically "overdo" those things for which he was originally lauded.

The announcer becomes a self-caricature…a parody of himself as some describe it.

This is what happened to Chris Berman and is probably a large part of the reason for his drop in popularity. Probably this is happening to Gus Johnson as well though I don't watch and listen closely enough to say for sure.

I don't think it's been addressed in the latter part of this discussion but there's a phenomenon which occurs as an announcer gains popularity and acceptance.

It's when that announcer is emboldened by his rave reviews…in Johnson's case, his enthusiasm. Often times this becomes a self-perpetuating force which eventually causes that announcer to basically "overdo" those things for which he was originally lauded.

The announcer becomes a self-caricature…a parody of himself as some describe it.

This is what happened to Chris Berman and is probably a large part of the reason for his drop in popularity. Probably this is happening to Gus Johnson as well though I don't watch and listen closely enough to say for sure.

I think John Madden is one the prime examples of the game announcer who became bigger than the game he was broadcasting.

I find it hard to blame him as he was actually pretty darn entertaining and his use of new items like the telestrator did add to a viewers understanding of the game within the game. However, the many imitators looking to make a name for themselves who do not have the breadth of knowledge and experience and a truthful aw shucks wonder at this boys game have detracted from enjoyment of the game.

I also do not think you are in the minority. On the face of it I think there is a camp which likes Johnson and a camp which dislikes him and my guess is that they are fairly evenly split. However, I think the vast majority of watchers do not tune in looking for a particular announcer and actually will not refuse to watch their team simply because there is an announcer they hate.

There certainly are those of us who look back fondly at the 70s game which actually had no announcers and only used ambient crowd noise. Though this game was panned by those who make their money commenting on the job announcers who were left out of the game, I thought it was an interesting experiment.

I would love to see another announcer less game today. Given technological advances like the line on the screen which shows the first down point, enhanced graphics which consistently show you the game clock, down and distance and other relevant factoids, I could easily get by with an announcer who pops in from time to time (as little as possible) to give me info such as an explanation of an odd ref call which does not lend itself to a crawl.

Particularly given today's internet with simultaneous game info and better directional mikes which can give you enhanced sound, I am confident that the few big problems I felt with the announcerless game could be dealt with and annoying and stupid announcers (like Dierdorf) and the vacilating homer calls many announcers endorse based on what they perceive is the story line would be be great.

There is alot of Gus Johnson hate in this thread & I just do not understand it. The guy is a great announcer. I am bummed that CBS would not agree to match. It was interesting to read that there may have been some jealousy involved. I bet it was that prick Jim Nance. The guy has got a great voice & knows when to turn it up a notch. I will miss him more for the College Basketball then when he did the NFL. & you say you do not tune in for an announce but until last year I always got the March madness ticket to get all the games(last year they were broadcast on stations you did not have to purchase) & I have a tournament party on Friday with about 10-12 guys coming over. Unless there is a game on with one of the schools that my friends or I have attended we always tune into the game that Gus Johnson & Len Elmore is announcing. CBS made a big mistake letting a talent like that go & they are going to regret it. Anybody that does not like Gus Johnson go on Youtube, type Gus Johnson in & there is a tribute to him call Fort Remix. Watch that & tell me you do not have goosebumps. The guy is terrific. "RISE & FIRE" "HERE COMES THE PAIN" "COUNT IT" "HA HA"

Edited by Gordio