How in the name of God does Phil Hansen...

I met Phil once in the team meal after the game, and enjoyed talking with him. I told him we called him Mr. Consistency, because he always brought his A Game!

Not Flashy, but solid all day long, I'd take Phil over the current #90 we have on the team right now and twice on Sunday!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met Phil once in the team meal after the game, and enjoyed talking with him. I told him we called him Mr. Consistency, because he always brought his A Game!

Not Flashy, but solid all day long, I'd take Phil over the current #90 we have on the team right now and twice on Sunday!

One thing that always pisses me off about TSW, people here have this need to run down great players, like Hansen, to try to prove their point...

One thing that always pisses me off about TSW, people here have this need to run down great players, like Hansen, to try to prove their point...

Buftex, you and I usually get along pretty good. All I think people, including myself, are saying is that Phil Hansen was a heck of a player who was very good over a long period of time, but there are players who were GREAT who may be more deserving. Has anyone run down Phil Hansen? The guy was awesome. But look at my original post- you can't tell me Cornelius Bennett isn't exponentially more deserving. Now some people brought up the sexual harassment issue. To be honest, I'm sure that's what it was. I hadn't thought about that.

Buftex, you and I usually get along pretty good. All I think people, including myself, are saying is that Phil Hansen was a heck of a player who was very good over a long period of time, but there are players who were GREAT who may be more deserving. Has anyone run down Phil Hansen? The guy was awesome. But look at my original post- you can't tell me Cornelius Bennett isn't exponentially more deserving. Now some people brought up the sexual harassment issue. To be honest, I'm sure that's what it was. I hadn't thought about that.

So Bennett doesn't get on the wall because of a harassment issue but we let a double murderer's name stay on the wall? Makes little sense to me. Cookie doesn't get on the wall because he ticked off Ralph. Polian and Saban don't get on the wall because they ticked off Ralph. Sounds like it should be called Ralph Wilson's Wall of Fame not the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame. Hansen belongs, but so does Cornelius.

go up on the Wall before Cornelius Bennett. Phil Hansen was a nice player, but he played in 0 Pro Bowls. Bennett? Try 5 Pro Bowls, 3 FIRST TEAM NFL ALL-PROS, 1990's All-Decade team, 1988 AFC Defensive player of the year. All of this w/ the Bills. I hate to say it, but you could bring up the race card on this one and I'd be hard-pressed to argue w/ it. Not to mention, Bennett played before Hansen. It's kind of crazy. And yes I know, Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist as well.

Maybe next year we put up Jeff Wright and Glenn Parker.

I think Hansen was a very, very good Bill but the Wall should be reserved for the great ones. There are several on the Wall that I question. Bennett defintely should be on it.

Lou Saban should be the next on it.

Metz, I wasn't really aiming that at you...

Yes, I agree, 100%, Bennett was a better player, overall than Hansen, in relation to the teams overall success...I know you realize this, but my point was, the Buffalo Bills, as an organization, obviously are using some criteria that isn't simply stats, and Pro Bowl appearences. I think there is a "Buffalo Bills community" element of the process, that is being ignored...if you or I were making the decision, we would probably be making different choices.

The Wall of Fame inclusion is, obviously, Ralph Wilson's way of recognizing some of his favorite employees over the years...there may be a panel that votes, but I am sure Ralph has the power of veto...if not, Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist would be on the wall. It is not mandatory that every team has some sort of wall of fame, or ring of honor, they do it as a way of giving a nod to the people they like best. Arguing a players merits for the NFL Hall of Fame are a bit more legit.

I don't understand all the quibbling...hell, if it was up to me, Steve Freeman would go up there...why not take Bob Kalsu off the wall? What did he do on the field? Nothing! Off the field? Ah...see?

I know you didn't run down Hansen, but there are people here comparing his contributions to (obviously) lesser, players. It is just silly. As they say, it is what it is...an honor the franchise gives out to guys that they want in that club.

So Bennett doesn't get on the wall because of a harassment issue but we let a double murderer's name stay on the wall? Makes little sense to me. Cookie doesn't get on the wall because he ticked off Ralph. Polian and Saban don't get on the wall because they ticked off Ralph. Sounds like it should be called Ralph Wilson's Wall of Fame not the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame. Hansen belongs, but so does Cornelius.

I understand, and agree, with the Simpson thing. However, Simpsons transgressions, as horrific as they may have been, happened well after his days as a Buffalo Bill. And, I probably don't need to remind you, he wasn't found guilty in the case in question...with the Bennett thing, Marv Levy, if I recall correctly, had to go to court to testify on Bennetts' behalf, as to his character. To an older guy like Wilson, especially, that may be a litte unseemly.

go up on the Wall before Cornelius Bennett. Phil Hansen was a nice player, but he played in 0 Pro Bowls. Bennett? Try 5 Pro Bowls, 3 FIRST TEAM NFL ALL-PROS, 1990's All-Decade team, 1988 AFC Defensive player of the year. All of this w/ the Bills. I hate to say it, but you could bring up the race card on this one and I'd be hard-pressed to argue w/ it. Not to mention, Bennett played before Hansen. It's kind of crazy. And yes I know, Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist as well.

Maybe next year we put up Jeff Wright and Glenn Parker.

Obviously there are 100 Bills more deserving than Hansen based on talent/accomplishment.BUT....Ralph is what?92?93?

It was an old man's sentimental move.He happens to like Hansen--and its his way of showing his

appreciation to someone he likes while he is still able.

PS--There are several Bills more deserving than Cornelius.Cornelius was a great talent but only a very good LB(exc for his rookie year when he was phenomenal)

That is exactly what the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame is not!

Agreed.

A well deserved honor for one of the best at his position to ever play for--and also represent off the field--the Bills. Very happy about this pick.

No doubt Bennett was one of the best to ever play his position. He was an impact player in every sense. A true game changer.

But I wouldn't say he did everything they asked him to do. He balked and sulked when the Bills wanted to move him to ILB.

GO BILLS!!!

i'll take your word for it that he balked, but once he was in there, he was a terror. and he definitely spent a hell of a lot more time in coverage than some of the other elite libs of the day.

anyone remember his first game? it was like watching TNT on the field. talk about first step. he was in the backfield in a nanosecond. you knew right then that polian made the right deal.

Does seem like a low bar was set for the Wall of Fame on this one. Don't get me wrong Phil Hansen was a grinder and important to the Bills but Wall of Fame?

I think the Wall of Fame should be reserved for Hall of Fame Potential players not fan favorites. Phil Hansen has about 0.0000000001% chance of making the NFL Hall of Fame.

Indeed!

I think Hansen was a very, very good Bill but the Wall should be reserved for the great ones. There are several on the Wall that I question. Bennett defintely should be on it.

Lou Saban should be the next on it.

How about #42 who still leads the team in picks!

With regards to Polian…it is said by both men that Wilson and Polian have buried the hatchet.

In view of this, why hasn't Polian been recognized on the Wall?

He was the undisputed architect of some of the greatest teams in recent NFL history…for a franchise which has had a VERY MEDIOCRE existence.

Ask yourself this, Mr. Wilson: Where would the franchise be without Lou Saban and Bill Polian?

I know (we all do) that this is Mr. Wilson's call. A member of the committee told me only a few years ago that Saban and Gilchrist are excluded for personal reasons. I didn't need to be told this because it's kind of obvious…there could be no other reason, considering their contributions.

That's fine…it's Mr. Wilson's Wall, after all. But if that's the case, then why even have a committee?

Polian is a moot point because he's still the GM of the Colts. Maybe if he retired from football it would be different. Saban probably gets passed over for the same reason great players from the 60s and 70s get passed over for the Hall of Fame -- there are only so many spots per year and there are more recently retired guys that win out.

i'll take your word for it that he balked, but once he was in there, he was a terror. and he definitely spent a hell of a lot more time in coverage than some of the other elite libs of the day.

anyone remember his first game? it was like watching TNT on the field. talk about first step. he was in the backfield in a nanosecond. you knew right then that polian made the right deal.

I'll never forget it. Day after Halloween, 1987. Elway didn't know whether to sh*t or run for his life. He NEVER saw speed coming around the edge like Biscuit.

And I'll never forget what Shula said the day the Bennett trade was announced. "Buffalo just got a pass rush." Much like today with the Pats, the Bills needed to beat a passing team to win their division against Miami. Polian knew that and I think Buddy knows it as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Polian is a moot point because he's still the GM of the Colts. Maybe if he retired from football it would be different. Saban probably gets passed over for the same reason great players from the 60s and 70s get passed over for the Hall of Fame -- there are only so many spots per year and there are more recently retired guys that win out.

I'll accept your point on Polian.

Your point on Saban holds no water at all. "Trader Lou" led the Bills to their only two championships at a time when the Head Coach was also the de facto GM. He built and coached those teams. Many long time Bills fans (if not most) consider him the greatest coach in Bills history.

As far as the Wall of Fame is concerned, Lou Saban is arguably the MOST deserving person associated with the Buffalo Bills. He's not up there because of the personal grudge Wilson holds against him for "quitting on me twice."

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I didn't say that Phil Hansen was more valuable to the history of the Bills than Lou Saban. He's not, but that's not the point. My point was that the younger the people who choose get, and the further away the accomplishments get the less likely it is that he'll be chosen especially with so many great players on those more recent Bills teams being up for the same honor. It's not fair, obviously. Just like it isn't fair that athletes and contributors to the NFL from 30-50 years ago get passed over for the hall of fame by guys that retired 5 years ago.

Luckily for Saban it'll be slim pickings from the last decade.

Edited by Pondslider

No doubt Bennett was one of the best to ever play his position. He was an impact player in every sense. A true game changer.

But I wouldn't say he did everything they asked him to do. He balked and sulked when the Bills wanted to move him to ILB.

GO BILLS!!!

I disagree with your statement that Bennett was one of the best to ever play his position.

I'd say he could have been one of the best.-And I think this will be reflected in the fact

that he won't sniff the HOF.

thank you for giving me cornelius bennett's address to send fan mail :pirate:

On another note, he's only 6'3 245, so the size-police might think he's too small to make a comeback.

Either he was smaller back in the 90s, or he has kept in amazing shape.

I'd be tempted to put Ben Williams on the WOF before Hansen.

Of the Super Bowl era players that are not on the Wall, I'd put Bennett, Henry Jones, Will Wolford and Nate Odomes at a minimum ahead of Hansen. Odomes is #5 in career INTs and only Charlie Romes has more as a pure CB (26 vs. 25, Butch Byrd has more but he played safety most of the time).

I dunno if you got the memo, but when you own the team- it's your wall, and you can call it what you want.

My opinion:

1) Some of our message board members are obviously too young to remember Phil Hansen. He wasn't just a "nice player." He was a consistent pass rusher and one of the most dependable players in the team's history. Bennett may have been the flashier guy, but he absolutely wasn't as consistent as Hansen was. Hansen represented the Bills better than Bennett did, in my personal opinion.

2) Bennett and the Bills parted on bad terms in '98 (before the season); the Bills put a franchise tag on John Fina, and Bennett (too stupid to realize being franchised is actually not an advantage) said it was a "slap in the face" that they considered John Fina to be their "franchise player," and not Bennett. He did not go out as a "friend" of the team.

3) No one says the Wall of Fame has to go in order of how good a player is. It isn't a descending order of greatness. They aren't going to make a list of the best players, #1-20, and then just go down the list numerically. It's subjective. Just like the Hall of Fame.

4) The reason Polian hasn't been put on the WOF is because he has been a GM WITH ANOTHER TEAM. They aren't going to put someone on the WOF that is currently with another franchise. Now that he's passed it to his son, and once he distances himself from Indy, maybe he'll do so. Saban will never go up there -- NEVER. And while he was a great coach, let's not forget that he quit on the team twice. You have to factor that in.

I love Phil Hansen, and although Bennett was a great player for the team, Hansen was one of the best players on those Bills teams, and one of the best all-time Bills players. If you don't remember him, you either were too young to know who he was, or you weren't paying attention. My personal opinion.