How in the name of God does Phil Hansen...

Does seem like a low bar was set for the Wall of Fame on this one. Don't get me wrong Phil Hansen was a grinder and important to the Bills but Wall of Fame?

I think the Wall of Fame should be reserved for Hall of Fame Potential players not fan favorites. Phil Hansen has about 0.0000000001% chance of making the NFL Hall of Fame.

That is exactly what the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame is not! That is what the NFL Hall of fame is!

Comparing Hansen to Ryan Denny & Carwell Gardner is taking the dis-respect for Hansen a little too far..

Edited by Buftex

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is exactly what the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame is not! That is what the NFL Hall of fame is!

Comparing Hansen to Ryan Denny & Carwell Gardner is taking the dis-respect for Hansen a little too far..

I disagree. The Wall of Fame is for Hall of Fame caliber players that don't get in to the actual Hall of Fame a la Andre Reed.

Step 1 you get on the Wall of fame, step 2 you get on the Hall of Fame Ballot, maybe one day you make Step 3 the Hall of Fame.

I don't believe Phil Hansen is deserved of Step 1, Step 2 or Step 3.

Hansen only played for the Bills -- that is pointed out in the BB.com's lede. Biscuit played ended his career in Atlanta. I think that has to have something to do with it.

It's Ralph's wall. He can put up whoever he wants, I suppose.

I'm a long-time Bennett fan, as he too, is one of my favorite players. The dust up in 1996 when the Bills didn't match the Falcons offer is probably still fresh in Wilson and Bennett's minds. Wasn't the nicest parting of ways. It was overlooked by the fanbase mostly because the Bills got Chris Spielman shortly after Bennett went to the ATL and he formed a dynamic LB corps with Bryce Paup.

go up on the Wall before Cornelius Bennett. Phil Hansen was a nice player, but he played in 0 Pro Bowls. Bennett? Try 5 Pro Bowls, 3 FIRST TEAM NFL ALL-PROS, 1990's All-Decade team, 1988 AFC Defensive player of the year. All of this w/ the Bills. I hate to say it, but you could bring up the race card on this one and I'd be hard-pressed to argue w/ it. Not to mention, Bennett played before Hansen. It's kind of crazy. And yes I know, Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist as well.

Maybe next year we put up Jeff Wright and Glenn Parker.

Man I was thinking the same thing... (minus the race card) this is insane.... Although I do like Hansen and am very happy for him.

I disagree. The Wall of Fame is for Hall of Fame caliber players that don't get in to the actual Hall of Fame a la Andre Reed.

Step 1 you get on the Wall of fame, step 2 you get on the Hall of Fame Ballot, maybe one day you make Step 3 the Hall of Fame.

I don't believe Phil Hansen is deserved of Step 1, Step 2 or Step 3.

Um, you can disagree with how the decision is made, but you (or I) don't make the decision...I am not arguing that Phil Hansen is the greatest Bill ever, or that he belongs in the Hall Of Fame, but the criteria you set, is not the criteria for the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame!

go up on the Wall before Cornelius Bennett. Phil Hansen was a nice player, but he played in 0 Pro Bowls. Bennett? Try 5 Pro Bowls, 3 FIRST TEAM NFL ALL-PROS, 1990's All-Decade team, 1988 AFC Defensive player of the year. All of this w/ the Bills. I hate to say it, but you could bring up the race card on this one and I'd be hard-pressed to argue w/ it. Not to mention, Bennett played before Hansen. It's kind of crazy. And yes I know, Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist as well.

Maybe next year we put up Jeff Wright and Glenn Parker.

I guess everyone is really going to be surprised when Chris Kelsay makes the Wall of Fame someday. How is this guy still employed?

It's Ralph's wall. He can put up whoever he wants, I suppose.

Well the funny irony is that honorees are chosen by a committee, so theoretically there is a system of checks and balances.

So the Phil Hansen decision, like the others before it, are the product of a consensus of committee members. Hard to believe but true.

There is one similarity to the HOF and the Bills WOF…the meetings are fairly secret and non-transparent. And fans (who generate the revenue for the team) have no say.

Again not meaning any disrespect to Phil Hansen but I just can't see how he goes on the wall before other, much more deserving men.

Well the funny irony is that honorees are chosen by a committee, so theoretically there is a system of checks and balances.

So the Phil Hansen decision, like the others before it, are the product of a consensus of committee members. Hard to believe but true.

There is one similarity to the HOF and the Bills WOF…the meetings are fairly secret and non-transparent. And fans (who generate the revenue for the team) have no say.

Again not meaning any disrespect to Phil Hansen but I just can't see how he goes on the wall before other, much more deserving men.

If there's any women on the committee, Biscuit will never make it. He did some pretty deplorable things.

Hansen was a great, low-key, dependable, under-appreciated player. Great against the run, got pressure on the QB, and hustled all over the field. Congrats #90. You deserve it.

Hansen's the kind of unsung producer you want to build a team with.

Still...not the kind of guy you build a team around. You build around a Bruce Smith, and surround him with Phil Hansens. The Bruce Smiths get the awards.

Whether Bennett deserves to be on the Wall, or is the kind of guy you build around, I'm not sure. But Hansen? Love the guy, wish we had four of him on the line right now...pretty sure I don't think he belongs on the Wall.

Only Buffalo fans can make the honoring of one player all about crapping on another.

GO BILLS!!!

No one's crapping on another…yet.

So far it's been a fairly civil conversation.

And this is a very valid conversation. We should be having it.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

No one's crapping on another…yet.

So far it's been a fairly civil conversation.

And this is a very valid conversation. We should be having it.

I'm not saying we're crapping on the players or even ourselves in this thread. People are suggesting the Bills are crapping on other players by honoring someone else.

GO BILLS!!!

congrats to Phil Hansen....nice player....but i have to echo the sentiments of others that feel there are several Bills more deserving.....obvious no brainers with PRO BOWLS in parenthesis.....are Cookie Gilchrist(3), Cornelius Bennett(5) and Rueben Brown(9).....other players that immediately come to mind who were better than Phil are ,Butch Byrd (5), Stew Barber (5), Ernie Warlick(4), Eric Moulds(3), James Lofton(8), Jim Dunaway (4)Bryce Paup (3), Joe Cribbs(3), Ted Washington(3), Shane Conlan(3).

Recent and current Buffalo Bills with two Pro Bowls apiece are Brian Moorman, Aaron Schobel along with Takeo Spikes, Nate Odomes, Jason Peters, Howard Ballard, Sam Gash and Will Wolford. Two-time AFL All-Stars include Ron McDole, Archie Matsos, Paul Costa, Tom Janik, Wray Carlton, Henry Jacobs, and John Tracey.

Phil Hansen = ZERO Pro Bowls !!