Buddy Nix "Donte doesn't want to be here, so he won't be b

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW. Donte's been generally disappointing, particularly considering where he was picked... and that's not his fault, per se, but he's definitely not making the defense any better while he's out there. Having said that, the crybaby act has worn thin. In fact, it was already worn thin about a year or so ago. That pretty much makes his dismissal a slam dunk. Good for Buddy to speak plainly.

Edited by Punch

In that interview, I like that Nix admitted which other players he'd love to have. GMs don't often do that. For those who missed it he gave props to OLB Ryan Kerrigan, DE Cameron Jordan, and TE Lance Kendricks. "We would've loved to have those guys regardless of what the pick is, because they'd make your team better. You know, you can't get them all, you only get one round and that's the way they fell."

Trade offers: "our phone probably rang 15 times every round."

Buddy also talks about Levi Brown and the backup quarterback situation.

He comments on several of the Bills draftees including speaking about Mike Jasper at length.

Here's the penultimate comment on Whitner and Florence:

"We think Drayton wants to be here, and we want him here," Nix said regarding Florence. "We're gonna try to sign Drayton Florence."

And what about Whitner, the eighth overall pick in the 2006 draft?

"Donte Whitner I don't think wants to be here, and he probably won't," Nix said.

Nix's interview is the first 16 minutes of the podcast.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

In that interview, I like that Nix admitted which other players he'd love to have. GMs don't often do that. For those who missed it he gave props to OLB Ryan Kerrigan, DE Cameron Jordan, and TE Lance Kendricks. "We would've loved to have those guys regardless of what the pick is, because they'd make your team better. You know, you can't get them all, you only get one round and that's the way they fell."

Trade offers: "our phone probably rang 15 times every round."

Does he know that you can pick more than once a round if you trade down?

It's nice to at least have an honest GM who doesn't give you a bunch of guff about how, "OF COURSE" they want Donte. It's refreshing to hear a 'Don't let hit the door hit ya'

He didn't say that. He said Whitner doesn't want to be there and probably won't. The fact that he put a tender on him before the lockout started should tell us something. The fact that Nix also said, around that same time, that it was up to Donte whether he wanted to come back or not also should tell us something.

The Bills want him back. They want him back at their price though. That's business related. Not football related. Gailey has praised Whitner many times for his contributions. The amount of Whitner bashing is tiresome. He's not as bad as he's made out to be. He definitely hasn't played like a Polamalu or Reed. True enough. But he's okay. I like the Searcy pick. Bring in some true competition for that position and see if Whitner raises his game.

What I hear in Nix's comments are that he think Whitner will sign elsewhere. But if 2010 rules are used this season Whitner will be back whether he wants to be back or not.

And on a side note. For all the Whitner is a whiner talk a lot of fans are no better whining about Whitner whining. LoL. Stay off his twitter and it won't be an issue...

Edited by purple haze

He didn't say that. He said Whitner doesn't want to be there and probably won't. The fact that he put a tender on him before the lockout started should tell us something. The fact that Nix also said, around that same time, that it was up to Donte whether he wanted to come back or not also should tell us something.

What is the purpose of tendering an offer (besides the fact that it allows you to match offers depending on the CBA)?

What is the purpose of tendering an offer (besides the fact that it allows you to match offers depending on the CBA)?

If the tags hold up Beerball, if someone tries to sign Donte, they'll owe us compensation based on the slot they gave him. I'd assume they either gave him lowest (which is the round he was drafted - 1st) or the 2nd rounder if they want to move him.

Thanks for the link ... It is good to know that Buffalo actually has a radio station that gets quality sports' interviews and "breaks news."

I am sure there were many Bills' fans who were sure Whitner was coming back but Buddy cleared that one up quickly.

Frank and honest answers from Nix were impressive especially about players who he would have liked to pick up.

There appears to be a solid plan in the work for the Bills and I feel good with these two old Southern boys leading the charge (And, Whaley is going to be a good GM too!)!

Nix

Nice interview. It's not difficult to read between the lines on Whitner; the Bills offered him what they think is a fair contract, and Donte took it as an "insult." So, they're not sweating it and they've acquired his replacement if that's the way the chips fall.

Interesting comments that they still "don't know what we have" in Levi Brown. He really didn't get much work last year, obviously. Also, Maddog69 should be happy, because Buddy said they intend to bring in two QBs -- one to be a backup but compete for the job, and one developmental guy.

Donte is a good football player, but he has always been a liability in the passing game and other teams know it. The Bills need to fix that and the same goes for Kelsey, who can’t cover a TE to save his life.

From a football standpoint, i'd like Donte back, but at our price, not his obnoxious asking price.

From a personal standpoint, both sides (the fans and Donte) act like immature children with the entire twitter mess with him.