Round 7 (Pick 245): DT Michael Jasper - Bethel (TN)

My favorite nickname I've read so far is "The Mammoth".

The other option is how hard would it be to collapse a pocket if he played center?

Do love the wedge buster idea, and have him play either goal line FB or have him line up in an unbalanced jumbo package.

Bills better take up a collection for his fines, if he ever hits a QB, he will def get fined by this league.

Edited by BearNorth

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki: One of the most surprising choices of the weekend, Jasper is a behemoth nose tackle with three schools on his résumé, the latest being a stop in the NAIA where he wasn't noticeable except for his size. Conditioning and stamina are nowhere near NFL-ready.

Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki: One of the most surprising choices of the weekend, Jasper is a behemoth nose tackle with three schools on his résumé, the latest being a stop in the NAIA where he wasn't noticeable except for his size. Conditioning and stamina are nowhere near NFL-ready.

Nawrocki makes me laugh. He took all these shots at Newton and then admits that he never actually met him. To matters worse, last minute he changed his draft board and made Newton the #1 pick. The guy is a joke. How in the world can he cast his opinion on Jasper? He didn't even have a clue who he was until AFTER we drafted him.

33" vert??!!! Are you kidding me, a guy that size!!! Wow! Another thing, Long Horns don't have calves as big as this guy's! This guy is a beast!

I know! The buzz on him was training camp fodder but his times and distances are amazing. I see a sleeper with this kid.

Which give credence to how bizarre this pick was. ;)

He flew under everybody's radar because to multiple small schools, Continuity was never established. The only reason why we knew of him was we supposedly got a tip from Levi Brown but when we did interact (over a year ago) with him the guy did everything that we asked him to do.

Look, I don't know if he's going to be the next Ted Washington or Pat Williams but I do have expectations of him making our roster. There's a definite role that this kid can provide for us, whether it's in short yardage situations, goal line stands or even if he only gives Darius a breather.

He flew under everybody's radar because to multiple small schools, Continuity was never established. The only reason why we knew of him was we supposedly got a tip from Levi Brown but when we did interact (over a year ago) with him the guy did everything that we asked him to do.

Look, I don't know if he's going to be the next Ted Washington or Pat Williams but I do have expectations of him making our roster. There's a definite role that this kid can provide for us, whether it's in short yardage situations, goal line stands or even if he only gives Darius a breather.

Not only jumping around schools, but jumping around positions.

Regarding his questionable conditioning, the guy has dropped over 50lb this year upon the recommendation of scouts. He has gone on record as saying he's willing to do whatever it takes to make this team, and the weight drop is evidence of his dedication.

It takes more than massive bulk and strength to be a professional football player. If his desire and motor are anywhere close to his freakish physical skills, the Bills might have something. Mike Williams was big and Leif Larson was powerful. Feel me?

The fact that he shed so much weight after they told him that he needed to, says a little about his desire. I can't picture Mike Williams becoming that dedicated.

He may improve quickly, with top level coaching....

Which give credence to how bizarre this pick was. ;)

My guess.... if this were a normal season and you could sign UFA's today; he wouldn't have been drafted. But, given the lockout, the only way they could be assured to get him is with the final pick. Hence, it seems bizarre.

The fact that he shed so much weight after they told him that he needed to, says a little about his desire. I can't picture Mike Williams becoming that dedicated.

I agree! Coaching is the key for all our draft picks. I just wonder, would Maybin perform the same if he went to the Steelers? Anyway.....hope he turns out to be a monster.

THE NATION RISES!!

The thing that impressed me about his phone interview was what he said, when the reporter asked how he lost 70 pounds, "really it's not that hard, you just eat the right foods, drink water, and treat your body right".

A lot of people lose weight, then find it difficult to maintain. Someone who didn't really find it that hard and is strongly motivated, might keep it off.

All of this is terrific. It really is. But does anyone actually know if he can uh, play football. I mean if he is playing NAIA, he should absolutely dominate. If he didn't, why didn't he? He should have been blowing up games single-handed.

I will be amazed if he can't contribute..he is motivated as his website indicates. The big question is whether he will continue to work harder than he ever has in his life. I watched in amazement at a little NAIA school, Benedictine College (KS) as Jaime Mueller (Bills FB during the SB run) did in fact blow away many NAIA records. Though a man among boys, Mueller benefited from a terrific O line who understood the rare gem they had in the backfield. Though Mueller was blessed with talent, he had a lot of guys paving the way for his success. And I have heard from friends of friends that Mueller had to work his tail off to achieve what he did with the Bills and not as the tail back he was in college, but as a fullback. As for Michael Jasper "blowing up" the NAIA, given the team nature of football, and being buried in the interior line, his visibility would have been lowered. Again, IF he works hard, he is blessed with a combination of superhuman size and ability that could pay hug dividends for the Bills! I sure hope so! Go Bills!!

My guess.... if this were a normal season and you could sign UFA's today; he wouldn't have been drafted. But, given the lockout, the only way they could be assured to get him is with the final pick. Hence, it seems bizarre.

Your guess is correct. Nix said as much in Nailey's post-draft presser.

Actually, the Bills told him that if he got below (I think it was) 400#, they'd draft him. They kept their word.

The thing that impressed me about his phone interview was what he said, when the reporter asked how he lost 70 pounds, "really it's not that hard, you just eat the right foods, drink water, and treat your body right".

A lot of people lose weight, then find it difficult to maintain. Someone who didn't really find it that hard and is strongly motivated, might keep it off.

I laughed when he said "treat your body right," expecting him to say "finally." Being 440+# is NOT treating your body right. Hopefully he can continue losing weight but not muscle/strength.

Interesting indeed.

I suspect a cause-and-effect relationship.....I'm thinking they were probably in HS school at the same time, Jasper mentioned 2 years Junior college, then 3 years at Bethel?

I do wonder why he wasn't offered a football scholarship at that size and with that much athletic ability. Academic ineligibility?

If Mount Jasper is in fact buds with Levi, it will be Bad, Bad (to mess with) Levi Brown

I laughed when he said "treat your body right," expecting him to say "finally." Being 440+# is NOT treating your body right. Hopefully he can continue losing weight but not muscle/strength.

Being from a small school and so forth I doubt he ever had much access to training and nutrition advice.

I know that part of the country -- it ain't cookin' if it ain't fried

Poll: how many of you know what a "chicken fried steak" is?

I sure didn't, when I lived in B'lo. "Chicken fried steak, WTF?"

I hope Bruce Smith talks to him about the perils of Buffalo Wings.

Edited by Hopeful