Round 7 (Pick 245): DT Michael Jasper - Bethel (TN)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect a cause-and-effect relationship.....I'm thinking they were probably in HS school at the same time, Jasper mentioned 2 years Junior college, then 3 years at Bethel?

I do wonder why he wasn't offered a football scholarship at that size and with that much athletic ability. Academic ineligibility?

If Mount Jasper is in fact buds with Levi, it will be Bad, Bad (to mess with) Levi Brown

Being from a small school and so forth I doubt he ever had much access to training and nutrition advice.

I know that part of the country -- it ain't cookin' if it ain't fried

Poll: how many of you know what a "chicken fried steak" is?

I sure didn't, when I lived in B'lo. "Chicken fried steak, WTF?"

I hope Bruce Smith talks to him about the perils of Buffalo Wings.

He did transfer to Middle Tennessee State before transferring out of there. It could be some indicator of poor academic behavior or mental fragility.

As far as nutrition advice goes, I was getting it at D-III level Brockport for track. I would assume that he had accessability to it at MTSU at the very least in his 6 years of college

He did transfer to Middle Tennessee State before transferring out of there. It could be some indicator of poor academic behavior or mental fragility.

As far as nutrition advice goes, I was getting it at D-III level Brockport for track. I would assume that he had accessability to it at MTSU at the very least in his 6 years of college

He went to UT-Martin, not MTSU.

PTR

Where did you see that info about Levi Brown?

I read somewhere that Levi went to the same high school as Jasper. They crossed paths somewhere.

PTR

Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki: One of the most surprising choices of the weekend, Jasper is a behemoth nose tackle with three schools on his résumé, the latest being a stop in the NAIA where he wasn't noticeable except for his size. Conditioning and stamina are nowhere near NFL-ready.

I wont deny this to be true... the man did weigh 448 lbs this past football season. He's now "down" to 375-390 lbs range. Thats a HUGE loss, and will impact his stamina tremendously. If he gets down to 350-360 lbs, even better. And... really, how much stamina do you really need to play 15 downs in a game...??

Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki: One of the most surprising choices of the weekend, Jasper is a behemoth nose tackle with three schools on his résumé, the latest being a stop in the NAIA where he wasn't noticeable except for his size. Conditioning and stamina are nowhere near NFL-ready.

This guy is a complete mystery, and like almost everything about him, stamina is up in the air. But there is no way the guy on those videos (including the pro-day video) isn't sufficiently conditioned to play NT in the NFL! Very poor post by Nawrocki.

There's a video interview online of Jasper's coach where the coach explains that they Jasper had been a NT but they moved him to OG two years ago because their opponents mostly play spread offense, so they didn't need a NT on the field much, and he wanted to get Jasper more playing time.

Sorry - I don't have the link handy - just Google Jasper's name a bit, with "Bethel" in there - you'll find it.

My question: did the Japanese Tsunami-generating earthquake occur shortly after Jasper did that 33" vertical?? B-)

Edited by BobChalmers

There's a video interview online of Jasper's coach where the coach explains that they Jasper had been a NT but they moved him to OG two years ago because their opponents mostly play spread offense, so they didn't need a NT on the field much, and he wanted to get Jasper more playing time.

Sorry - I don't have the link handy - just Google Jasper's name a bit, with "Bethel" in there - you'll find it.

My question: did the Japanese Tsunami-generating earthquake occur shortly after Jasper did that 33" vertical?? B-)

:lol:

..Too soon?:unsure:

If he pulls a 'Wilfork Stomp' move, they'll have to dig the guy out of the field..

I wont deny this to be true... the man did weigh 448 lbs this past football season. He's now "down" to 375-390 lbs range. Thats a HUGE loss, and will impact his stamina tremendously. If he gets down to 350-360 lbs, even better. And... really, how much stamina do you really need to play 15 downs in a game...??

No doubt ... The Bills took him at what was nearly the bottom of the 7th round. If the guy Becomes even a good role player for the Bills they will look like geniuses. If he gets cut, so what?

From the workout video, it's clear he's not just a fat guy. You have to remember that Jason Peters came to us in a similar way, so there's some small chance Jasper could turn out to be a player although everyone should restrain themselves a bit - it's a small chance. However, guys like this do come along from time to time (recall Howard Ballard was an 11th round pick back in the day). It would appear the kid has a chance if he's motivated and can keep working. By the way, he's 6' 4" not 5' 6" as someone else wrote, and he played on both lines at Bethel, which may explain the confusion about where he belongs. I didn't see any facts on his 40 time, but seems like he prefers defense from what I read. I don't think anyone knows that until they seem him in camp. How about fullback - that would be fun to watch!

From the workout video, it's clear he's not just a fat guy. You have to remember that Jason Peters came to us in a similar way, so there's some small chance Jasper could turn out to be a player although everyone should restrain themselves a bit - it's a small chance. However, guys like this do come along from time to time (recall Howard Ballard was an 11th round pick back in the day). It would appear the kid has a chance if he's motivated and can keep working. By the way, he's 6' 4" not 5' 6" as someone else wrote, and he played on both lines at Bethel, which may explain the confusion about where he belongs. I didn't see any facts on his 40 time, but seems like he prefers defense from what I read. I don't think anyone knows that until they seem him in camp. How about fullback - that would be fun to watch!

I recall something about a 5.6 40 time so he will at least be able to run down Tom Brady and Ryan Mallot...lol.