All Newton all the time

RichardBag

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I beg to differ on that. Due to his hard work and die hard attitude he has impressed me. He has taken his physical skills and dedicated himself to playing QB at the pro level where athleticism alone won't get it done.

I think he meant he hasn't impressed anyone with actual results yet.

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to reply to this yet...I have been at a Klan meeting all day.

The idea of people not liking Cam because of his race is silly...almost as silly as this thread being created and you not saying this in the All Newton thread...

I believe that intelligence testing is valid - using Wonderlic or some other form of IQ test and that people are limited in the jobs that they can do successfully by many things (effort, motivation, ethics, and intelligence being a few). You wouldn't want Vince Young trying to repair the space shuttle would you?

Its no secret that you can prepare and in some cases beat the Wonderlic test - so your results are higher than they should be.

Regarding your last paragraph - Actually, I don't think its possible. With all the hype (real and perceived) associated with Wonderlic test scores and all the dollars associated with being a top 5 pick, I believe all players are coached on the Wonderlic. See Vince Young and his taking the test multiple times.

Facts are facts. Half the population is below average at something. The original post that I responded to tried to tie Newton comparisons to racist behavior. I don't think that's true unless you believe black people are less intelligent that white people - which would in fact make you racist. My comment back was simply stating that he tests out to be dumb and that's where some of negativity is centered around.

BTW, Tebow hasn't impressed anyone in NFL yet either

That's makes you stereotypical and a bit ignorant. Not racist.

That belief started well before the wonderlic scores became public. And there was no accurate basis

for it then and there still isn't.

Memorization of random knowledge doesn't make one intelligent at all.

I happen to have two college degrees and was accepted into a 2nd Master's program not long ago. SAT and GRE scores? Far from great; In fact they were bad when compared to the national average at those times. Had my scores been released to the public I'm sure many people would have said, "unintelligent". However, that wouldn't necessarily ]

Does the Wonderlic test require any type of memorization?

Standardized tests are supposed to allow a consistent comparison between people since school curriculum and the level of difficulty / quality of courses can differ widely. That said. They only are part of the overall evaluation of a candidate. So if you have something else going for you then that certainly helps. Many schools unfortunately will not read an app if the scores are too low.

Does the Wonderlic test require any type of memorization?

Standardized tests are supposed to allow a consistent comparison between people since school curriculum and the level of difficulty / quality of courses can differ widely. That said. They only are part of the overall evaluation of a candidate. So if you have something else going for you then that certainly helps. Many schools unfortunately will not read an app if the scores are too low.

The Wonderlic can be prepared for. Or so it's been said. Preparation is included in many prospects' pre-combine work. So that's why I say memorization. If one can get hold of a variety of the tests it's possible a lot of information can be memorized. Of course some information on the test is very basic and wouldn't need to be.

Standardized tests, I don't believe are a good indication of ability based on various factors. Everyone doesn't have the same type of education. Parochial, private and particularly public education in this country varies wildly and in cities and rural areas kids, often times, don't get a similar educational experience. Over-crowed classrooms. Decaying facilities, out of date materials and ineffective teachers are serious problems. As well as out of control kids.I do understand that standardized tests are used to weed prospective students out and narrow the choices for admittance. I think different schools weigh it differently however. But that's not something we would necessarily be told by an institution.

A standardized test won't tell one how insightful a person is on any particular topic. It won't tell one if a person can express their opinion or debate in an informative way. It won't tell one if a person is well adjusted and has the make-up to succeed in an environment where there are differing opinions and temperaments. It won't tell one if a person can adjust to criticism and use that critique to contribute something better in the future. It won't tell one if a person can lead a group of peers amongst other things. To me a person's grades and statement of purpose are more important as they speak to the person's ability to complete work at a certain level and allow the admissions officers to read, in the applicants own words, what their vision is for themselves. In that letter an admissions officer can gain insight into a students ability to present themselves, persuade, define goals and give insight into themselves and their credentials.

Writing is like a signature or a fingerprint and definitely identifies a person in a certain way. To me that should be looked at before any results of a standardized test. All that tells me is a student knows a lot of information. It doesn't tell me how they can use it, if they can use it at all.

Edited by purple haze

When being compared To Blaine....

i hate the idea that people assume that white qb pick up on schemes and reads faster than blk qb's....

How about that they are equally talented, until proven otherwise

Thats fine hate it all you want...out of 40+ superbowls how many of the winning qb's were black....1....Thats all i have to say.....NEXT

i hate the idea that people assume that white qb pick up on schemes and reads faster than blk qb's....

the only thing vaguely racist is that he is to often compared to jamarcus russell and vince young, i.e. other black quarterbacks. i don't think his skill set is like either of those two, except maybe in terms of young's running.

the only thing vaguely racist is that he is to often compared to jamarcus russell and vince young, i.e. other black quarterbacks. i don't think his skill set is like either of those two, except maybe in terms of young's running.

Bingo

Why, is Cam a rapist?

Clearly, Cam has a better off the field record than Big Ben.

Rather, I was comparing them as quarterbacks on the field. Both are ridiculously hard to sack. Both are champions. Both can throw accurate deep passees (unlike Kaepernick, who goes wild after 30 yards or so). Both got low twenties on the Wonderlic.

Cam's arm is comparable to JaMarcus. Cam is just seriously committed to football, while JaMarcus never was. He always had a spare tire at LSU too. Cam is mobile while JaMarcus wasn't.

The Cam-Vince comp is especially offensive, since the two are completely different players. Vince Young never had an NFL arm. Vince Young is "too dumb." The only thing those two have in common is speed. And skin color...

Fortunately for the Bills, the slow white guys they historically have drafted are primarily for the defensive line.

And people also dont understand that just because a player was asked/told/coached to play a certain way in a certain system, does NOT mean they cant or wont be successful in an NFL system. It just means that they have some work to do to come up to speed.

Right. And a guy who tried to cheat multiple times (on the same paper) may not be willing to put in that work once he gets paid.

Or maybe he's changed. We'll see.

Thats fine hate it all you want...out of 40+ superbowls how many of the winning qb's were black....1....Thats all i have to say.....NEXT

Yes. That must be it, It is basic cause-and-effect. Or maybe only 1 black QB has ever won a Super Bowl because antiquated prejudices such as yours prevented many very capable black athletes from playing the position at the NFL level.