Another curveball tomorrow?

rdb

Predicting who the Bills select is not the easiest thing to do. They seem to have defense as a priority. They want run stoppers with some size to them. They want players who have performed well on the field for a while-no one year wonders. They want players of character and intelligence, qualities that all that most of us know about only through what we read. Maybe J.J. Watt or Cam Jordan.

Predicting who the Bills select is not the easiest thing to do. They seem to have defense as a priority. They want run stoppers with some size to them. They want players who have performed well on the field for a while-no one year wonders. They want players of character and intelligence, qualities that all that most of us know about only through what we read. Maybe J.J. Watt or Cam Jordan.

well if what your stating happens to be true, then its a turnaround from years past where they took a one year wonder in Aaron Maybin, low Character player in Marshawn Lynch- Travis Henry- low Intelligence un-named RB drafted recently-Last season the O line was a "priority" that they failed to address because things didn't fall their way. Players with no ability in John McCargo.

What worries me the most is that Buddy Nix openly stated he wished he had the first overall pick, and all I think of is Cam Newton...

Hey, I hope they do the smart thing and do everything you stated....its just that past history has shown something different

How is predicting who the Bills will pick any different than predicting the Panthers or Broncos?

PTR

The only differences I can think of is whomever the Panthers and Broncos will pick will cost them slightly more than it will if the Bills remain at #3 and pick at that spot.

The major difference between us and the Panthers is that they have the ability to pick a player if they want to witht he first pick no matter what any other organization decides. We on the otherhand have to have a contingency plan in case the player(s) we covet are selected as the 1st or 2nd pick!

The Bills at a mininum have to have at least 3 players on the board prior to the draft, The Broncos 2, and the Panthers 1. If all 3 teams do so, everyone will get a player on their wish list! That's really about it as far as I can think....just a little difference in the money, and a difference in how assured you are that your coveted player will be there.

The only differences I can think of is whomever the Panthers and Broncos will pick will cost them slightly more than it will if the Bills remain at #3 and pick at that spot.

The major difference between us and the Panthers is that they have the ability to pick a player if they want to witht he first pick no matter what any other organization decides. We on the otherhand have to have a contingency plan in case the player(s) we covet are selected as the 1st or 2nd pick!

The Bills at a mininum have to have at least 3 players on the board prior to the draft, The Broncos 2, and the Panthers 1. If all 3 teams do so, everyone will get a player on their wish list! That's really about it as far as I can think....just a little difference in the money, and a difference in how assured you are that your coveted player will be there.

Aren't you just stating the obvious? The Bengals have 3 teams picking before them, the Cards have 4, and so on.

PTR

speaking of curveballs: I was thinking of this scenario.

What if the Bills really covet a specific QB (for example Locker) and they have a belief that the Redskins will take him at 10, how mad would you be if the Bills just stand pat at 3 and take him?

well if what your stating happens to be true, then its a turnaround from years past where they took a one year wonder in Aaron Maybin, low Character player in Marshawn Lynch- Travis Henry- low Intelligence un-named RB drafted recently-Last season the O line was a "priority" that they failed to address because things didn't fall their way. Players with no ability in John McCargo.

What worries me the most is that Buddy Nix openly stated he wished he had the first overall pick, and all I think of is Cam Newton...

Hey, I hope they do the smart thing and do everything you stated....its just that past history has shown something different

Everything is a turnaround from years past when there's a new GM and Head Coach. I don't get what the history of the Bills drafts have to do with them.

The first curveball will be when Carolina does not take Cam. Then all hell breaks loose on TBD.

I have this picture in my head:

Even before Commissioner Goodell announces that the draft has started and Carolina is on the clock, Ralph is anxioiusly standing by the stage with his draft card filled out. Carolina goes on the clock. Comes to the podium. Selects Cam Newton. Ralph is seen on the edge of the screen angrily throwing down the card and swearing uncontrollably.

The Bills like Newton, Dareus and Von Miller. Gabbert is a possibility, I guess, but not at three. I see us going with one of the big three. A shocking pick but one a case might be made for AJ Green or Peterson (I would not like the pick of either but they are legitimate top five pick material.)

speaking of curveballs: I was thinking of this scenario.

What if the Bills really covet a specific QB (for example Locker) and they have a belief that the Redskins will take him at 10, how mad would you be if the Bills just stand pat at 3 and take him?

If he turns out to be a franchise quarterback then it's a great move. If he turns out to be J.P. Losman then it's a terrible move.

Where a player is taken shouldn't necessarily be dictated by where other people think he should go - it's what you think he's going to do for you with some lesser considerations about how much you want to pay him and where else you could get him (i.e. - what are the chances he's there at your next pick). Think about if Tom Brady was taken in the first round - the Patriots would have looked like idiots taking him so early and having to pay him huge money but you know what, it would have ultimately been a good move and had we known what he would do everyone would have drafted him in the first round as well.

The double trade-down is my curveball.

Bills trade with Cleveland, who takes Peterson.

Houston calls and wants to leapfrog Dallas, and takes Fairley. Bills now have RD2#34, 37, 42 and RD1#11.

BILLS DRAFT

11 Buffalo Cameron Jordan DE34 California

34 Buffalo Martez Wilson ILB Illinois

37 Buffalo Phil Taylor DT34 Baylor

42 Buffalo Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas

68 Buffalo Curtis Brown CB Texas

100 Buffalo Pernell McPhee DE43 Mississippi State

122 Buffalo Tom Keiser OLB34 Stanford

133 Buffalo Rob Housler TE Florida Atlantic

169 Buffalo Jos. Barksdale OT LSU

206 Buffalo Chris Conte FS California

245 Buffalo Roy Helu RBF Nebraska

My curveball pick is Robert Quinn. I think he's the guy who could go in the 5 to 15 range, that's quite a spread, but I don't get a true sense of who covets him. I think he's going to be a great player and he would fit the Bills scheme. I think that is my only possible shocker at #3 for the Bills.

I don't want the Bills to give up picks to trade back into Round 1 to go after a QB like Ponder. But.....if that's who they covet they should do it in reverse.....trade out of #3, draft Ponder with whatever 1st round pick they receive and then spend the extra picks on defense.

Houston calls and wants to leapfrog Dallas, and takes Fairley. Bills now have RD2#34, 37, 42 and RD1#11.

BILLS DRAFT

42 Buffalo Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas

68 Buffalo Curtis Brown CB Texas

I wish Astro!!

BILLS DRAFT

42 Buffalo Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas68 Buffalo Curtis Brown CB Texas

Just to put everyone's mind at ease, Mallett is being mentored by John Daly