I just started and finished watching Breaking Bad

The Poojer

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well we [as men] can't understand this, but I honestly think M/S are plugged in to make the show appeal to women. The moods,upset looks and fashion [Oh did you see what she was wearing?] factor all appeal to woman.

Let Woman watch Oprah. I want my show back.

I think you're probably exactly right. Maybe that's why Gilligan is making all the women neurotic and annoying...AMC has been pressuring him to add in the elements you mentioned to appeal to a broader demographic, and so this is his way to comply and protest at the same time :lol:

EDIT: After reading Jay's review, I didn't even think about the Chrysler angle...just another reason for me to remain cynical about AMC and the way they seem to love to mess with their best shows...idiots.

Edited by ajzepp

I think you're probably exactly right. Maybe that's why Gilligan is making all the women neurotic and annoying...AMC has been pressuring him to add in the elements you mentioned to appeal to a broader demographic, and so this is his way to comply and protest at the same time :lol:

EDIT: After reading Jay's review, I didn't even think about the Chrysler angle...just another reason for me to remain cynical about AMC and the way they seem to love to mess with their best shows...idiots.

It's frustrating. I realize how difficult it is to compete with the major networks, but the way that AMC pokes and prods at both Breaking Bad and Mad Men is ridiculous. Two of the top ten dramas EVER on television and they aren't allowed to just do their own thing.

Of course, with Mad Men the product placement comes organically.

I usually read these after every show.

Very good.

I wish I had these eps back to back instead of having to wait 6 days :(

Thanks!

And I know what you mean. I watched Seasons 1 and 2 in a marathon. When the third season came on, I would watch an episode and experience withdrawal. :lol:

It's frustrating. I realize how difficult it is to compete with the major networks, but the way that AMC pokes and prods at both Breaking Bad and Mad Men is ridiculous. Two of the top ten dramas EVER on television and they aren't allowed to just do their own thing.

Of course, with Mad Men the product placement comes organically.

Yep, and probably to a lesser degree with Walking Dead. I don't remember specifics, but I know after S1 of WD they started screwing around with that, as well. They almost seem to take for granted what they have.

I usually read these after every show.

Very good.

I wish I had these eps back to back instead of having to wait 6 days :(

No doubt...I've really come to love being able to watch shows on DVD/streaming at my own pace...it's a fun ride.

And I agree...Sage is the sh*t! :thumbsup:

Yep, and probably to a lesser degree with Walking Dead. I don't remember specifics, but I know after S1 of WD they started screwing around with that, as well. They almost seem to take for granted what they have.

No doubt...I've really come to love being able to watch shows on DVD/streaming at my own pace...it's a fun ride.

And I agree...Sage is the sh*t! :thumbsup:

No offense, but I thought the first time a nurse took an interest in my work would feel better. 0:)

:P

Don't forget about Lydia. She seems a little to frazzled to be such a key piece to the new business

I'll wait and see how the rest of the season plays out before assigning a poor grade to this episode. It just had the feel of transitional episode moving the pieces into position for the final 3 episodes of this half season

Well when I am watching a show and get so bored I pick up a magazine and start reading [as I did last night] something is wrong. What sucks is that it has so much potential unused. Do something interesting? Nah let's chat for 5 minutes about sending Jr to camp, or whatever.

No offense, but I thought the first time a nurse took an interest in my work would feel better. 0:)

:P

Always happy to further dismantle the stereotype :nana:

Well when I am watching a show and get so bored I pick up a magazine and start reading [as I did last night] something is wrong. What sucks is that it has so much potential unused. Do something interesting? Nah let's chat for 5 minutes about sending Jr to camp, or whatever.

Yep, like Jay said in his review, let's get on with it already....four episodes in, you'd expect some major stojan to go down...felt like it took a step back this week.

Thoughts on last night's episode...

http://www.entertainment-bureau.com/breaking-bad-review-episode-5-04-fifty-one/2787

The men on this show are prone to their moods and upset looks too. :P

I'm on record for not hating the female characters, but I can't deny that episodes with Walt at home aren't nearly as compelling as episodes with Walt on the job.

Good write up. I never thought about that boring car scene being about product placement, but I am watching commercial free internet :thumbsup:

Surprised they weren't conspicuously enjoying pepsi and munching mars bars.

And yes Walts moods are getting on my nerves also. Does he have a facial expression besides frowning?

When does walking dead start again?

Edit: Except when he's endorsing a car. Then he's all smiles and chipper.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

From Sage's write-up:

Of course, there were other ploys more relevant to the plot. The centerpiece was Skyler’s desperate attempts to remove her children from what she considers to be a toxic environment. Having asked her husband politely about sending Junior to boarding school, and having been rebuffed, she resorts to something a bit crazier and takes a fully-clothed swim at the bottom of the family pool. For a moment or two, we’re left to wonder if Skyler is legitimately experiencing a psychological break from reality (and there’s clearly something the matter), but the utter lucidity of her following conversation with Walt implies that her actions have been moves in a chess game.

It would be at this point that, if I were Walt, I would have said something like... You've now shown that you have a propensity toward a suicidal state with rock-solid witness Hank. :censored: with me and I will end you with a few dozen sleeping pills. I come home from the car-wash and... Oh my... you're dead on the couch. :censored: with me just once. Walt's problem here is his sentimentality in the face of this threat and that he's still trying to play out that he's doing all of this for his family and the $ and that everything can be hidden/lied about/explained/rationalized and on the outside, at least, be the same as it ever was.

But yeah, points of parallel with the pilot. Among them are Walt's and now Skyler's naivete on how the game of chess is played. Her level of scheming is right up there with "fugue state."

One thing I don't get is... what is Walt's cover now for where he is all the time?

Count me as another who's a little disappointed so far. I seriously hope it gets better than covering the last tracks from the Fring operation, tinkering with a new meth set-up, a weak-streamed pissing match between Walt and Mike, and dealing with a stupid/psycho wife.

From Sage's write-up:

It would be at this point that, if I were Walt, I would have said something like... You've now shown that you have a propensity toward a suicidal state with rock-solid witness Hank. :censored: with me and I will end you with a few dozen sleeping pills. I come home from the car-wash and... Oh my... you're dead on the couch. :censored: with me just once. Walt's problem here is his sentimentality in the face of this threat and that he's still trying to play out that he's doing all of this for his family and the $ and that everything can be hidden/lied about/explained/rationalized and on the outside, at least, be the same as it ever was.

But yeah, points of parallel with the pilot. Among them are Walt's and now Skyler's naivete on how the game of chess is played. Her level of scheming is right up there with "fugue state."

One thing I don't get is... what is Walt's cover now for where he is all the time?

Count me as another who's a little disappointed so far. I seriously hope it gets better than covering the last tracks from the Fring operation, tinkering with a new meth set-up, a weak-streamed pissing match between Walt and Mike, and dealing with a stupid/psycho wife.

I don't think Walt wants to threaten her. The way I see it, he wants to have his normal happy family just like he used to have, just also having lots of money and power to go with it. I think he's deluded himself into thinking he can do almost anything, but what he doesn't realize is that he's never going to have his family back the way he used to - too much has happened and there's no going back.

There's a big scheme a brewing for this week. Here's what I think it is:

A train heist. The previews for this week include a Jesse James reference - 2nd one of the year & a map where Lydia says something to the effect of "this is the best spot to do it" in an endeavor to secure an "ocean of methylamine."

In the history of Walter White / Heisenberg schemes, there has been quite a bit of luck involved:

(1) Tuco didn't snort the fulminated mercury, then Walt blew up his office.

(2) They didn't get caught when stealing the first batch of methylamine when the guard was stuck in the port-o-let.

(3) Old Joe was well-versed in warrants when Hank was right outside the Crystal Ship (RIP).

(4) The Lily of the Valley didn't kill Brock.

(5) Hector went along with the face-off plan.

(6) The magnet worked. This time was a bit unlucky when it revealed the Cayman Island bank routing numbers. Is this going to be a trend?

The Insider Podcast mentioned that episodes 5 & 7 were going to contain some "holy crap" moments. Really looking forward to this week's episode "Dead Freight" (another train reference?).

There's a big scheme a brewing for this week. Here's what I think it is:

A train heist. The previews for this week include a Jesse James reference - 2nd one of the year & a map where Lydia says something to the effect of "this is the best spot to do it" in an endeavor to secure an "ocean of methylamine."

In the history of Walter White / Heisenberg schemes, there has been quite a bit of luck involved:

(1) Tuco didn't snort the fulminated mercury, then Walt blew up his office.

(2) They didn't get caught when stealing the first batch of methylamine when the guard was stuck in the port-o-let.

(3) Old Joe was well-versed in warrants when Hank was right outside the Crystal Ship (RIP).

(4) The Lily of the Valley didn't kill Brock.

(5) Hector went along with the face-off plan.

(6) The magnet worked. This time was a bit unlucky when it revealed the Cayman Island bank routing numbers. Is this going to be a trend?

The Insider Podcast mentioned that episodes 5 & 7 were going to contain some "holy crap" moments. Really looking forward to this week's episode "Dead Freight" (another train reference?).

Maybe a truck. Walt does have that M 60 you know. A lot of airtime was devoted to him getting it and I can't believe it's not going into play. I sure hope so. Hopefully on the S/M twins.

I support this.

Marie? Skyler? Can you go for a short ride? I what to show you something in the desert. Marie[skyler is too upset to talk] "Walt why are we here? To look at this old truck? Do you understand what is going on? Do you have any idea" At this point a tarp rolls up on the back of the truck and the M 60 is spiting lead at the M/S twins, cutting Marie off mid sentence.

Too hard core, I know, But I like it.

Marie? Skyler? Can you go for a short ride? I what to show you something in the desert. Marie[skyler is too upset to talk] "Walt why are we here? To look at this old truck? Do you understand what is going on? Do you have any idea" At this point a tarp rolls up on the back of the truck and the M 60 is spiting lead at the M/S twins, cutting Marie off mid sentence.

Too hard core, I know, But I like it.

:lol:

M60 just seems like overkill for the M|S twins

I think Walt should invite Marie, Skylar, and Walt Jr to breakfast. Gotta have breakfast if Junior is coming. Tell Junior he can drive the 4 of them in his crappy new Dodge/Chrysler and then he'll teach him how to do donuts in the desert.

When they get to the desert, Walt takes Juniors braces and beats all 3 of them to death and does donuts over their bodies

The M60 is a crew served weapon consisting of a gunner, an assistant gunner and an ammo bearer. The gun itself is 23+ pounds, I doubt the cancer-riddled (cough) Walt will be toting that sucker anywhere. He's most likely to be using it as a last-stand weapon against approaching foes - probably a lot of foes (DEA agents?). It will be interesting to see just how he gets himself in such a situation. No doubt that Chrysler 300 will suffer.