I just started and finished watching Breaking Bad

The Poojer

For me, I want to say that he was saying he forgives her for giving the money away while almost insinuating (my take only) that if he had to take care of the problem he would and could have like only Heisenberg can. The look on both of their faces showed to me that Walt is fully aware of the power he has now made available to himself and Skyler is understanding the same thing and is frankly scared of how deep she has gotten into this herself now. In other words, Skyler is now scared of Walt and Walt knows it.

:thumbsup:

The show isn't normally as obvious, but the last segment of the season premier was really just three scenes showing Walt flexing his newly perceived power over each of the characters that are most essential to him...first, Jesse & Mike in the car, then Saul in the lawyers office, and finally Skyler at home...this is obviously going to be what brings him down.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree, but it's entertaining :D

That's what makes Walt so interesting, IMO...his motivation wasn't to break bad, it was to provide for his family. Heisenberg was created by the circumstances that arose as a result of his choice to follow this path to financial gain. It's sort of like Anankin Skywalker...he loved Padme so passionately that he allowed jealousy to creep in, which led to such extreme circumstances that he was consumed and transformed into something evil. Certainly neither character can be seen as a victim or sympathetic, but I think there is a difference between an inherently "bad person" and someone who allowed circumstances and his environment to feed the beast that is his dark side to the point where it completely takes over, stomping out all but a small flicker of morality and compassion.

:lol:

I like that take. The first season, the pilot in particular, illustrates that Walt begins with his family as the primary motivation.

But the official turning point, to me, is when he blows up Tuco's office. Looking back, you can trace Walt's addiction to power and influence back to when he's celebrating in the Aztec with his hat on.

Getting into the philosophy of the show, I think Gilligan's point might be that the concept of inherent badness is just a comforting lie that we tell ourselves. Every person is capable of "breaking bad". How many characters on the show haven't resorted to their dark side under pressure? Pretty much just Hank and Walt Jr. And even Hank mistreated Marie emotionally when he was paralyzed.

For me, I want to say that he was saying he forgives her for giving the money away while almost insinuating (my take only) that if he had to take care of the problem he would and could have like only Heisenberg can. The look on both of their faces showed to me that Walt is fully aware of the power he has now made available to himself and Skyler is understanding the same thing and is frankly scared of how deep she has gotten into this herself now. In other words, Skyler is now scared of Walt and Walt knows it.

The worst thing that Skyler could have done was to verbalize that she fears Walt. Up until now, she had the upper hand because she could dangle their relationship like a carrot.

She only used Walt's ill-gotten money, essentially, to protect herself, her boss, and Walt (primarily) from all getting arrested. The fact that she screwed her boss is pretty small in the scale of infractions being committed by most every character on this show. I don't understand the double standard that all of you Skyler haters have for her... I get the feeling if Minka Kelly was playing her, instead of Anna Gunn, the disdain for her character wouldn't run as deep.

It's not so much that she !@#$ed her boss as it is that she threw it in Walt's face, and more specifically, why she threw it in Walt's face. And while she was trying to save her own ass and her boss' ass, I don't see how Walt would go down if his accounting scam was uncovered. The main difference between Skylar's infractions and everyone else's is that no one else has a moral high horse they condescend from atop. And her looks have nothing to do with it. I wouldn't kick her out of bed....unitl I was finished :devil:

I like that take. The first season, the pilot in particular, illustrates that Walt begins with his family as the primary motivation.

But the official turning point, to me, is when he blows up Tuco's office. Looking back, you can trace Walt's addiction to power and influence back to when he's celebrating in the Aztec with his hat on.

Getting into the philosophy of the show, I think Gilligan's point might be that the concept of inherent badness is just a comforting lie that we tell ourselves. Every person is capable of "breaking bad". How many characters on the show haven't resorted to their dark side under pressure? Pretty much just Hank and Walt Jr. And even Hank mistreated Marie emotionally when he was paralyzed.

I love how you say, "addiction to power and influence"...we have a show that, on the surface, focuses on an educated man who can synthesize an incredibly pure version of one of the most addictive drugs on earth...one that you need to engage in with greater frequency over time and in increasingly higher doses in order to get the same high, to the point where it can entirely consume you. It's almost like Walt's character mimics this, even though Walt never touches the stuff. His drug arises from within, and with every successive use and increase in dose, his Heisenberg persona becomes more and more consuming. If we equate the "dark side" to the drug addict, then Heisenberg is akin to the strung out, homeless junkie on the streets, whoring himself out on a daily basis just to get that next fix...

...okay, I don't really know what I'm going on about, but I can't wait to see tonight's episode! haha

Death by atrial fibrillation. Nobody brings an opening to an episode like Gilligan.

Aaron Paul bringing the range and Walter in FULL manipulation mode.

Mike doesn't blink an eye upon hearing he's $2m lighter but at least he's now properly incentivized.

Poor Chow. That scene in his chemical warehouse when Mike shoots the cartel guy through the wall is classic.

Lydia looks interesting.

Not enough Skylar in this episode though.

Walt is becoming less and less likable/sympathetic by the the week. Smart as he thinks he is, he doesn't seem to realize that killing Gus was just the beginning of his troubles... what do you think happens with the ricin that Walt hides behind the light switch? Edge of your seat stuff... loved the scene between Mike, Hank and Gomez...also, the scene with the police cheif, Gomez and Hank was there for a reason...when the chief was talking about having Gus Fring to his house for cook outs, and how "he was right under my nose all the time"...Hank kind of staring down, reflective...maybe he is starting to have his suspicions about Walt?

Edited by Buftex

Death by atrial fibrillation. Nobody brings an opening to an episode like Gilligan.

Aaron Paul bringing the range and Walter in FULL manipulation mode.

Mike doesn't blink an eye upon hearing he's $2m lighter but at least he's now properly incentivized.

Poor Chow. That scene in his chemical warehouse when Mike shoots the cartel guy through the wall is classic.

Lydia looks interesting.

Not enough Skylar in this episode though.

Agree with everything but the last part. If we can keep Skylar to just a quick glance into her oversleeping and a brief bit about her depression at bedtime, this will rock!

I'm loving that Hank is doing his thing...I hope he remains front and center and really starts to get hot on the Heisenberg trail. I thought his wife was brilliant in this episode...she got just the right amount of screen time. Also thrilled that Mike has an even bigger role (seemingly) so far...he brings a calculated, reserved intensity that keeps you on edge. Truly impressed with Aaron Paul at the beginning of the episode...show just wouldn't be the same without him. I'm fascinated to witness more of the deconstruction of the Fring empire...

If we can keep the focus on Walt, Jesse, Hank, and Mike, this season will rock!

Well I did it. Worked my way though S1-4 in a week and S5E1 today. Pretty cool what Walt did to Gus, it sure wiped that smug look off his face when he realized what was going on. Holding off on S5E2, need to save a little. By the way Sage what you called a big effing gun in the trunk was a M-60 with 600 rounds of tracer ammo, oddly enough. I wonder if that get's used?

Well I did it. Worked my way though S1-4 in a week and S5E1 today. Pretty cool what Walt did to Gus, it sure wiped that smug look off his face when he realized what was going on. Holding off on S5E2, need to save a little. By the way Sage what you called a big effing gun in the trunk was a M-60 with 600 rounds of tracer ammo, oddly enough. I wonder if that get's used?

Thanks for the intel :)

I think that the gun undoubtedly gets used, no point introducing a toy of that magnitude without a payoff. Big questions are, who is it used against? And what happens to make Walt feel he needs that level of protection?

Walt is becoming less and less likable/sympathetic by the the week. Smart as he thinks he is, he doesn't seem to realize that killing Gus was just the beginning of his troubles... what do you think happens with the ricin that Walt hides behind the light switch? Edge of your seat stuff... loved the scene between Mike, Hank and Gomez...also, the scene with the police cheif, Gomez and Hank was there for a reason...when the chief was talking about having Gus Fring to his house for cook outs, and how "he was right under my nose all the time"...Hank kind of staring down, reflective...maybe he is starting to have his suspicions about Walt?

I did not look at it that way at the time, but i think you're right, that's an excellent observation! Even if Hank wasn't thinking about Walt in that moment, it at least puts the seed in his mind.

Thanks for the intel :)

I think that the gun undoubtedly gets used, no point introducing a toy of that magnitude without a payoff. Big questions are, who is it used against? And what happens to make Walt feel he needs that level of protection?

It may be just a symbol of enpowerment to him. As others have noted here, he is really flexing his muscles lately. Maybe a M-60 is just a well you know, male sex organ thing.

It may be just a symbol of enpowerment to him. As others have noted here, he is really flexing his muscles lately. Maybe a M-60 is just a well you know, male sex organ thing.

I don't know. Like a cigar, sometimes an M-60 is just an M-60. Rest assured that by the time we reach that point in the story previewed in S5, episode 1, Walt will be in full Heisenburg mode and will be using that gun. He's certainly shown he's not afraid to put a bullet in somebody.

I don't know. Like a cigar, sometimes an M-60 is just an M-60. Rest assured that by the time we reach that point in the story previewed in S5, episode 1, Walt will be in full Heisenburg mode and will be using that gun. He's certainly shown he's not afraid to put a bullet in somebody.

I'm going to disagree slightly. I'd say that right now is the height of his Heisenberg attitude. He thinks he's a winner and nothing can stop him. In the opening clip, he seems nervous. His speech and actions are stilted.

Then again, Heisenberg trapped in a corner is even more dangerous than cocky Heisenberg.

I'm going to disagree slightly. I'd say that right now is the height of his Heisenberg attitude. He thinks he's a winner and nothing can stop him. In the opening clip, he seems nervous. His speech and actions are stilted.

Then again, Heisenberg trapped in a corner is even more dangerous than cocky Heisenberg.

Well Heisenburg, like Walt, is a flawed character to be sure. I still think Heisenburg is ascending like he has been since blowing up Tuco's office. I think he'll be at the height of Heisenburg when he's faced with damaging the very thing that motivated the transformation to begin with: the love and preservation of his family.

Speaking of which, I was struck by the irony of the similarities in Mike and Walt's motivations last night.

Edited by K-9

Well Heisenburg, like Walt, is a flawed character to be sure. I still think Heisenburg is ascending like he has been since blowing up Turco's office. I think he'll be at the height of Heisenburg when he's faced with damaging the very thing that motivated the transformation to begin with: the love and preservation of his family.

Speaking of which, I was struck by the irony of the similarities in Mike and Walt's motivations last night.

Good points. If you notice, the only characters still using the term Heisenberg are the DEA. To Walt and his inner circle, there's no point in making the distinction.

And nobody can kill themselves like that with an AED - those things only shock when they sense ventricular tachycardia (too fast) or ventricular fibrillation (chaotic rythm) - I'm pretty sure it would be damn near impossible to artificially present either of those to an AED just to get it to shock you, but it was an interesting concept.....

I'd say that right now is the height of his Heisenberg attitude. He thinks he's a winner and nothing can stop him. In the opening clip, he seems nervous.

Walt/Heisenberg = Charlie Sheen?

Now that would be an awesome cameo for Breaking Bad