I just started and finished watching Breaking Bad

The Poojer

As incredibly great as the mob storylines were, I thought Tony-family & Tony-psychiatrist dragged at times. Sopranos wasn't consistent throughout, BB gets better & better... planning and execution has been so good, I don't think Gilligan sh**s the bed in the finale like Chase did.

If I remember it correctly, Gilligan was very much up in the air as to whether or not AMC was extending the show beyond last season at the time 'Face Off' was being shot. Essentially, that would have been the ending of the series and Gilligan wrote it that way. After watching the season opener last Sunday, all I can say is I'm glad it wasn't.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As incredibly great as the mob storylines were, I thought Tony-family & Tony-psychiatrist dragged at times. Sopranos wasn't consistent throughout, BB gets better & better... planning and execution has been so good, I don't think Gilligan sh**s the bed in the finale like Chase did.

Yeah, it did drag at times...and overall BB is just a superior show. Aside from that "fly" episode that i absolutely hated, BB has been damn near perfect. I gave him a mulligan on "fly"...no harm no foul ;0

Well, to be fair, "Breaking Bad" isn't over yet... guess I am a little defensive about the Sopranos...don't get me wrong, I absolutely love "Breaking Bad", but they are two very different types of storytelling... "Breaking Bad" is much more plot oriented, while "Sopranos" was more about layer, texture and character development. I thought the Sopranos finale was pretty intense too, the second to last episode was about as intense as it gets. But that is just me... love both shows... and I would put "Mad Men" in the mix as well, three really amazing dramas.

Edited by Buftex

If I remember it correctly, Gilligan was very much up in the air as to whether or not AMC was extending the show beyond last season at the time 'Face Off' was being shot. Essentially, that would have been the ending of the series and Gilligan wrote it that way. After watching the season opener last Sunday, all I can say is I'm glad it wasn't.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I stayed away from all BB news & this thread while catching up, didn't want to be spoiled. I agree, as great as that last S4 episode was, it's just getting better and better.

Well, to be fair, "Breaking Bad" isn't over yet... guess I am a little defensive about the Sopranos...don't get me wrong, I absolutely love "Breaking Bad", but they are two very different types of storytelling... "Breaking Bad" is much more plot oriented, while "Sopranos" was more about layer, texture and character development. I thought the Sopranos finale was pretty intense too, the second to last episode was about as intense as it gets. But that is just me... love both shows... and I would put "Mad Men" in the mix as well, three really amazing dramas.

Yeah, I would agree with that. I don't really want to slam Sopranos, just thinking out loud as usual. The end did suck though!

Never got past S1, E1 of Mad Men, and I've got the 1st 4 seasons on BD collecting dust cause they were dirt cheap on Amazon last Black Friday. I will give it another shot before too much longer.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I stayed away from all BB news & this thread while catching up, didn't want to be spoiled. I agree, as great as that last S4 episode was, it's just getting better and better.

Knowing how you feel about the Sopranos finale, let me ask if you would have been content with BB if 'Face Off' was the last episode. Without getting into any spoilers for those who are still catching up to the show, I'll just say, yes. I think it would have been a fitting way to go out.

And I actually was OK with the Sopranos ending.

Knowing how you feel about the Sopranos finale, let me ask if you would have been content with BB if 'Face Off' was the last episode. Without getting into any spoilers for those who are still catching up to the show, I'll just say, yes. I think it would have been a fitting way to go out.

It would have been a fine finish. Not every show has to answer what happens in the future.

PTR

After I watched it, yes.. but now that S5 started, all the loose ends that would've been left behind are more apparent..

It would have been a fine finish. Not every show has to answer what happens in the future.

PTR

I agree wholeheartedly. There is nothing wrong with the audience using their imagination to fill in the blanks. I think that's why I appreciated Chase's ending to the Sopranos. He left it up to us to decide Tony's fate.

Not to mention leave the door open for a possible future feature film. Although I doubt that will happen anyway.

I hated the Sopranos finale at first, but then I think it was actually Buftex who sent me a link that sort of broke down the final scene. I still think the overall finale was weak, but I have come to really love the last ten mins.

You didn't like 45 minutes of someone trying to swat a fly?

As tortuous as I thought it might be, I had to watch this episode a few times to better appreciate where Gilligan was coming from. I'm glad I did. That wasn't so much a fly in the lab as it was the elephant in the room.

Here's a review of the episode that might frame it in a different light.

http://entertainment.time.com/2010/05/23/breaking-bad-watch-buzzkill/

As tortuous as I thought it might be, I had to watch this episode a few times to better appreciate where Gilligan was coming from. I'm glad I did. That wasn't so much a fly in the lab as it was the elephant in the room.

I saw it different. I thought the manical pursuit of the fly had to do with Walt's perfectionist nature and his world is coming to a end attitude over production number's not matching his calculation's [due entirely to Jesse lieing about the reading on the scale, which I never understood.] Anyway, I have been Marathoning the whole series and it was the only eposode I got flat out bored, metaphors or not.

Well, happy to see someone else got the point of "Fly" --- which was Walt's extraordinary obsessiveness, (especially) even when there are serious consequences for our duo from a dude who cut a guy's throat with a boxcutter right in front of them. IIRC, they had an entire week's production due in 48 hours and they still hadn't started b/c of the fly. Walt is *that* nit-picky. This is a guy taking big risks, which we're seeing again here in S5 already and we question this less because we've seen before that this is how Walt is and he's not going to apologize for it. Walt, to use a metaphor, is a volitile chemical that requires the *perfect* situation/combination to produce its compound. You may decry how this was shown, but that 'Guy and Four Walls' ep went a long way toward developing his character where I think we're about to see the payoff; Walt has seen the operation of an own-product-use kingpin, dipstevesojan kingpins and distributors, cool and calculated kingpins, violent kingpins, sloppy operations and fine-tuned distribution via front business, and many combinations of them all. What kind of kingpin is Walt going to be? You can bet that perfectionist will be part of it... and yet with a penchant for gambling.

I saw it different. I thought the manical pursuit of the fly had to do with Walt's perfectionist nature and his world is coming to a end attitude over production number's not matching his calculation's [due entirely to Jesse lieing about the reading on the scale, which I never understood.] Anyway, I have been Marathoning the whole series and it was the only eposode I got flat out bored, metaphors or not.

I think that was my main issue, as well. The episode just wasn't entertaining to me, regardless of how meaningful it may have been. That's why it stuck out to me in a negative way, because literally EVERY other episode of this show I've seen has had me just plain riveted. I was bored by the Fly and even a bit frustrated.

I think that was my main issue, as well. The episode just wasn't entertaining to me, regardless of how meaningful it may have been. That's why it stuck out to me in a negative way, because literally EVERY other episode of this show I've seen has had me just plain riveted. I was bored by the Fly and even a bit frustrated.

Ah there has to be a dud now and again. Just watched S4 Episode 11? The one where every one at the the pool in Mexico is poisoned. Almost running out of episodes. :wallbash:

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Ah there has to be a dud now and again. Just watched S4 Episode 11? The one where every one at the the pool in Mexico is poisoned. Almost running out of episodes. :wallbash:

S5 episodes are available for free on AMC's website I believe. Anyways, you are only one behind as soon as you finish S4 (at least until tomorrow night). You'll be caught up with the rest of us in no time.

Edited by Marcellosaurus

S5 episodes are available for free on AMC's website I believe. Anyways, you are only one behind as soon as you finish S4 (at least until tomorrow night). You'll be caught up with the rest of us in no time.

I am trying to ration this but man I Got 4 season's sitting there. Just one more, like a bag of chips. Almost done, will have to wait week by week like everyone else :censored:

That episode was awesome :worthy:

Gus Fring at his finest. There are few who could best him...