I just started and finished watching Breaking Bad

The Poojer

The reason that I don't fear for Season 5 is that the relationship between Walt and Jesse is so rich. When the **** inevitably hits the fan, I think we'll see the best that the narrative has to offer.

Agree with AJ that season 4 was pretty much note for note perfect, but I agree with you, also, that season 5 can be just as compelling.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason that I don't fear for Season 5 is that the relationship between Walt and Jesse is so rich. When the **** inevitably hits the fan, I think we'll see the best that the narrative has to offer.

When I think about the Walt vs Jesse thing, I think back over the first four seasons and just can't imagine how Jesse can even play in the same ballpark as Walt. Walt has exhibited true mastermind tendencies, with the S4 finale being the culmination of his brilliance. It's not a fair fight as it stands...Jesse would need a partner in crime who can level the playing field a bit more in terms of the cerebral mis-match. They have an odd relationship because at certain times they act as if they care about each other like family, and then at other times they couldn't care less if the other one dropped dead. I definitely feel that Gilligan has lots of interesting raw materials to work with here and I really can't wait to see what goes down...I just think I won't be that bothered at all if S5 ends up not being as good as the previous seasons. I don't remember ever feeling that way about a tv show, but I still remember exactly how it felt in my gut as I watched the scene in that nursing home go down...just amazing, amazing television.

I bought season 4 on DVD when it came out and one of the extras was a special on how they made the finale - almost an hour's worth going through the final scene and how they did it all - it was really cool.......

I need to see that for sure....thanks for letting us know. I actually can't wait to watch all of S4 again...I'll just fast forward through the parts with Skylar and her nutball sister lol

I see what you're saying but have to disagree. S4 was so awesome and the finale was epic :worthy: that I'm afraid S5 is going to feel a little disappointing. I have little doubt that S5 will rank among the best television of 2012, but juxtaposition with S4 it might have a difficult time keeping up the adrenaline.

Yep, even if he was able to develop the season overall in a way that could rival past seasons, there's just no way in hell he could equal, let alone top, the S4 finale. That's sort of why I'm looking at these upcoming shows as a curtain call, so to speak, and I'm fine with that.

When I think about the Walt vs Jesse thing, I think back over the first four seasons and just can't imagine how Jesse can even play in the same ballpark as Walt. Walt has exhibited true mastermind tendencies, with the S4 finale being the culmination of his brilliance. It's not a fair fight as it stands...Jesse would need a partner in crime who can level the playing field a bit more in terms of the cerebral mis-match. They have an odd relationship because at certain times they act as if they care about each other like family

Jesse will need help. And speaking of family, what about Hank?

Remember the episode where Hank beats the crap out of Jesse? In the hospital Jesse tells Walt that he has a get out of jail free card...he can give up Heisenberg

Hank knows Jesse is tied to Heisenberg. Jesse also has a tendency to get sloppy

I need to see that for sure....thanks for letting us know. I actually can't wait to watch all of S4 again...I'll just fast forward through the parts with Skylar and her nutball sister lol

I wouldn't be so quick to fast forward thru the Skyler bits. She's got her money laundering car wash now. And she is not the mastermind that Walt is. I suspect she'll get sloppy too and start to draw some unwanted attention. And then there's the loose thread of her ex-boss/boyfriend

Damn, I'm looking forward to this season :beer:

Jesse will need help. And speaking of family, what about Hank?

Remember the episode where Hank beats the crap out of Jesse? In the hospital Jesse tells Walt that he has a get out of jail free card...he can give up Heisenberg

Hank knows Jesse is tied to Heisenberg. Jesse also has a tendency to get sloppy

I wouldn't be so quick to fast forward thru the Skyler bits. She's got her money laundering car wash now. And she is not the mastermind that Walt is. I suspect she'll get sloppy too and start to draw some unwanted attention. And then there's the loose thread of her ex-boss/boyfriend

Damn, I'm looking forward to this season :beer:

YES, more Hank!! I always find his character very interesting...I'd like to see him more involved this season.

There is a very juicy story thread floating out there about Walt's life before being a HS teacher. That has received only fleeting, casual attention. But in a Season 3 flashback he is a hotshot at Sandia Labs while Skyer was carrying Walt Jr. He and Elliott were partners of some sort early on. None of that has been explored in depth, or what led to Walt's life to fall to the mundane.

I bet Walt's rise to the top of meth market in S-5 will be a sort of vengeance against those who derailed him earlier in life.

PTR

There is a very juicy story thread floating out there about Walt's life before being a HS teacher. That has received only fleeting, casual attention. But in a Season 3 flashback he is a hotshot at Sandia Labs while Skyer was carrying Walt Jr. He and Elliott were partners of some sort early on. None of that has been explored in depth, or what led to Walt's life to fall to the mundane.

I bet Walt's rise to the top of meth market in S-5 will be a sort of vengeance against those who derailed him earlier in life.

PTR

I remember that...that could be an interesting story line for sure.

Here's the Season 5 Trailer.

So we know that Mike comes back. He's the one that knew how the Gus' distribution network functioned. The super-lab was destroyed and the Mexican cartel had its entire leadership eliminated. As Walt says, "There's a market to be filled and no one to fill it." It looks like neither Mike nor Saul wants to work with Walt but he seems up for cranking it back up. Jesse also wants to cook.

Now, we know that Walt's original reason to get into this business was to raise enough cash to provide for his family. After Skylar's scheme to ensure that the IRS didn't come sniffing around after the Benanke tax kerfluffle, he probably doesn't have enough to do that. That will be his motivation. Jesse though... you'd think he'd have enough to move on. Even with his binging and supporting Andrea & Brock, he should have plenty of money. But it looks like we're in for more cooking/scheming and intrigue as Mr. Chips transforms into Scarface.

Either that or Jesse gets Badger & the rest of "TwaughtHammer" together for a tour under a new name "Meth Lab for Cutie".

AJ et al:

IIRC, AMC re-upped BB for two seasons of 8 eps each to finish out the story.

I know people have a tendency to cluster artificially shortened seasons together under one number, but literally and technically S5/this year is not the end.

Which... I dunno. Since there's not much BB left, I prefer the scenario to be two smaller snacks that I can enjoy each bite of, rather than a whole meal where you stop tasting the food after the fourth bite. I think Gilligan made the right call in this regard. YMMV.

Edited by UConn James

AJ et al:

IIRC, AMC re-upped BB for two seasons of 8 eps each to finish out the story.

I know people have a tendency to cluster artificially shortened seasons together under one number, but literally and technically S5/this year is not the end.

Which... I dunno. Since there's not much BB left, I prefer the scenario to be two smaller snacks that I can enjoy each bite of, rather than a whole meal where you stop tasting the food after the fourth bite. I think Gilligan made the right call in this regard. YMMV.

Has the timetable been officially publicized though? As far as I know, we could be dealing with 2012 and 2013 or just a short hiatus between mini-seasons.

I just started watching this series about 2 weeks ago on Netflix and got absolutely addicted to it. I flew through the first 3 seasons and had to go out and buy Season 4 so I could be all caught up for this fifth and final season. I haven't read any of the last half or so of this thread as to not spoil anything, but I just had to get involved in this thread. Can't wait for Season 5!

I just started watching this series about 2 weeks ago on Netflix and got absolutely addicted to it. I flew through the first 3 seasons and had to go out and buy Season 4 so I could be all caught up for this fifth and final season. I haven't read any of the last half or so of this thread as to not spoil anything, but I just had to get involved in this thread. Can't wait for Season 5!

Have you watched all of S4 yet?

When I think about the Walt vs Jesse thing, I think back over the first four seasons and just can't imagine how Jesse can even play in the same ballpark as Walt. Walt has exhibited true mastermind tendencies, with the S4 finale being the culmination of his brilliance. It's not a fair fight as it stands...Jesse would need a partner in crime who can level the playing field a bit more in terms of the cerebral mis-match. They have an odd relationship because at certain times they act as if they care about each other like family, and then at other times they couldn't care less if the other one dropped dead. I definitely feel that Gilligan has lots of interesting raw materials to work with here and I really can't wait to see what goes down...I just think I won't be that bothered at all if S5 ends up not being as good as the previous seasons. I don't remember ever feeling that way about a tv show, but I still remember exactly how it felt in my gut as I watched the scene in that nursing home go down...just amazing, amazing television.

Walt's desire to protect Jesse has gotten him into a lot of trouble. And Jesse is all emotion, no brain. Jesse will find out about the poison berries and it will probably come out that Walt could have saved his gf and then it's on. Walt's unwillingness to deal with Jesse ruthlessly will be the leverage Jesse needs to keep it interesting.

Walt's desire to protect Jesse has gotten him into a lot of trouble. And Jesse is all emotion, no brain. Jesse will find out about the poison berries and it will probably come out that Walt could have saved his gf and then it's on. Walt's unwillingness to deal with Jesse ruthlessly will be the leverage Jesse needs to keep it interesting.

I'm ready, brother...not much longer now!