I just started and finished watching Breaking Bad

The Poojer

Yeah, I think you will see the Sopranos finale in a different light, man...honestly, there was a LOT to it...I couldn't believe it when I read the breakdown and then watched it a second time.

Trust me, I've read quite a few "analysis" of the Sopranos finale and I get it, doesn't mean I have to like it. It might be brilliant but it didn't do it for me.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trust me, I've read quite a few "analysis" of the Sopranos finale and I get it, doesn't mean I have to like it. It might be brilliant but it didn't do it for me.

Well that's too bad man, cause that episode deserves better ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if Breaking Bad is on demand anywhere? I have a friend who hasn't seen it before and wants to check it out.

I want to get her started in season 1 or season 2 at the latest for background. Starting in season 3 or 4 would be kind of confusing without knowing why Walt is doing what he's doing, the progression of Jesse, Hank's quest for Heisenberg, and the whole Gus storyline.

Netflix has S1-3 for streaming now, yep

S4 you can get on Amazon, but gotta pay

Edited by ajzepp

Netflix has S1-3 for streaming now, yep

S4 you can get on Amazon, but gotta pay

:thumbsup:

Been rewatching on Neflix in my spare time. I'm halfway through Season 2 right now. I'd suggest it for any fan...it's fascinating to rewind and watch the characters develop with the knowledge of where they are right now. In particular, I've gained a new appreciation for Dean Norris' portrayal of Hank. Very nuanced character. He's THE unsung hero of the series if you ask me.

• 2 months later...

I realize I'm joining into this conversation way too late, but I just started watching Breaking Bad a little over a week ago and already finished all four seasons! I'm suffering from withdrawal now that it's done and I knew I can find a good conversion on BB, here. I enjoyed the entire thread and agree with what many of you have said about BB. It's already my second favorite show EVER!! Can't wait for season five.

Wow, this show has been nearly PERFECT through all of season one, two, and the first half of three. And then this turd they called "Fly" showed up. I'm sure there is some metaphor that the elusive fly represented, or some other high brow crap that some fancy pants screen writer tried to pass off as art, but this episode was absolutely AWFUL. What were they thinking exactly?? :oops:

"Fly" definitely was the lone speed bump in an otherwise masterpiece of a show. BB has surpassed "The Sopranos" in my all-time list because of that. One bad show isn't too bad over four seasons. The Sopranos had quite a few stinkers, but it is still #3 on my list after Lost, and BB. Shameless and Entourage round out my top 5.

Breaking Bad is currently my favorite show, and I used to like Dexter a lot, but I had problems with both shows in the later seasons and I wonder if anyone agrees with me.

Warning - Spoilers

In the 3rd season of Breaking Bad, I didn't like how it seemed Walt and Jessie overreacted in certain situations just to make situations seem more dramatic than they should have been. Jessie's use of the word "B word" so often it was getting old.

Overreacted? They're dealing with a highly volatile situation. Can't say I blame them. I think they're reactions were just right.

As far as Jessie using the word "B word" a lot, I kind of liked it. It was his catch phrase and he used it well. I feel the same way about his use of the word "yo".

I haven't read through this thread, but I watched the first two and a half seasons and right now I'm completely bored of Breaking Bad. Just got done with the episode with the fly in the lab and I just can't find enough interest to go to the next episode.

When is the next season of Sons of Anarchy starting??? CAN'T WAIT!

To each his own, I guess. BB was awesome, IMO. What is there not to like? Great acting, great characters and great plot. What more can you ask for?

I hope so man, cause I don't want to see any more of that soap opera crap where Skylar falls for Mr Big Shot and cant keep her legs closed. Things are too intense to be concerned with infidelity...and clearly Walt doesn't give a crap anymore lol.

And I LOVE the way they have written Jesse's character...they took it in a completely different direction than what I had anticipated. Last night's scenes with the Cartel reminded me of my favorite episode where Jesse and Walt were being held captive by that Cartel guy when his uncle wouldn't stop ringing that FARKIN BELL!!! :lol:

I hate Skylar, too. She's annoying. Jessie is one of may favorite characters in any TV show. One hell of an actor. I find myself pulling for him. I just hope he and Walt can remain partners and really good friends.

One thing that struck me was the fantastic acting by Hector in the epic scene. Gus thinks he finally has broken him by getting him to look at him, tears in his eys, and then he changing to the look of pure fury and hatred as he springs the trap. Just awesome!!!!

Hector's facial expressions were priceless!

I was blown away by the finale...but am I the only one who is kind of sad to see Gus go? It was a memorable exit, to be sure, but one of the truly great villans...almost a more real life Darth Vader...can't wait for the final season to start...

I was sad to see Gus go, as well. Great character.

What a fantastic episode! I was just about cheering as Hector hit his bell to blow up Gus. Then to see Gus walk out of the room was unreal. And the final reveal of the plant on Walt's patio...just awesome!

To me, it almost seemed like a series finale rather than a season finale. They seemed to wrap up so much...killing off Gus, blowing up the lab, Don Eladio's group is gone, Hector is gone.

I'm sure they will come up with some brilliant stuff next year but I have no idea what it will be.

It seemed like a series finale, but they can go in a ton of directions. IMO, things will come to head between Walt and Hank.

Which is what makes this such a brilliant show when you stop and consider that..............the bad guy won!

Walt's do-gooder list:

--murder of several people

--manufacture of a drug that ruins countless lives

--poisoning a child

--watching a young woman choke to death

--screwing a guy out of his business

--endangering the lives of his family

And that's just off the top of my head. Much like The Sopranos, the writers have done a wonderful job making us feel deep affinity for a reprehensible human being.

He started down this path when he thought he would be dead in a month or two and now that he's broke again and still very likely to die from cancer, we should expect more evil doings from Walt to add to your list.

It doesn't bother me...life is like that...we never know where it is going to go...but I guess I am one of the few people who thought the "Sopranos" finale was pretty brilliant...

You can add to me that list, as well.

Anyone know if Breaking Bad is on demand anywhere? I have a friend who hasn't seen it before and wants to check it out.

I want to get her started in season 1 or season 2 at the latest for background. Starting in season 3 or 4 would be kind of confusing without knowing why Walt is doing what he's doing, the progression of Jesse, Hank's quest for Heisenberg, and the whole Gus storyline.

I need a little bit of help with the timeline. Maybe one of you guys can help me out. In the flashbacks or flash-forwards there is a scene with the Teddy Bear in the pool, the eye of the teddy floating in the water and two body bags in front of Walt's home. Now if I remember correctly, the eye of the Teddy Bear was found in Walt's house by Skylar (I believe) in season 4 after the plane crash already happened and if what some of you has said about season 4's finale being what should have been the series finale than the scene with the body bags already happened, correct? Were those body bags for the body parts from the plane crash or has that scene even happened yet? I'm confused.

Edited by NoJustice

to NoJustice - the body bags were the body parts, at least thats what I took from it...I think that all of the flashbacks/flashforwards have already been taken care of

as far as Lost being your favorite show....reallllyyy??? Youve got such good taste in the rest, and then to put Lost as your FAVORITE, not even top 5 list, but favorite? interesting...

have you never seen The Wire?

to NoJustice - the body bags were the body parts, at least thats what I took from it...I think that all of the flashbacks/flashforwards have already been taken care of

as far as Lost being your favorite show....reallllyyy??? Youve got such good taste in the rest, and then to put Lost as your FAVORITE, not even top 5 list, but favorite? interesting...

That's what I thought, too, the body bags were from the plane crash but didn't the eye of the teddy bear get scooped out of the pool by the same guys that picked up the body parts and if so why is the teddy's eye still in Walt's possession in season 4 after the plane crash?

As far as Lost being my all-time favorite show goes, that's mainly because of the actors/characters, not necessarily because of the plot and storyline. With BB, I like Walt, Jessie, Gus, Mike and Saul. With Lost, I like so many more, such as Jack, Sawyer, Kate, Sayid, Locke, Ben, Hurley, Jin and Charlie. I don't know why, but Lost just gets to me on an emotional level more than any other show. I laughed, cried, found myself jumping up and down with joy on certain scenes so that's why it's number one for me. BB has a better storyline than Lost does, IMO.

I've never gotten around to watching The Wire. I've heard plenty of great things about that show and will get into that now that I'm done with BB. I'll let you know how much I like it when I'm done with that series.

Edited by NoJustice

Lost is way down on my list of favorite shows of all time, but the finale is ranked up there in my top 5.

Lost is way down on my list of favorite shows of all time, but the finale is ranked up there in my top 5.

I'm always looking for something new to watch. What's your top five, ajzepp?

I hate Skylar, too. She's annoying. Jessie is one of may favorite characters in any TV show. One hell of an actor. I find myself pulling for him. I just hope he and Walt can remain partners and really good friends.

It seemed like a series finale, but they can go in a ton of directions. IMO, things will come to head between Walt and Hank.

I need a little bit of help with the timeline. Maybe one of you guys can help me out. In the flashbacks or flash-forwards there is a scene with the Teddy Bear in the pool, the eye of the teddy floating in the water and two body bags in front of Walt's home. Now if I remember correctly, the eye of the Teddy Bear was found in Walt's house by Skylar (I believe) in season 4 after the plane crash already happened and if what some of you has said about season 4's finale being what should have been the series finale than the scene with the body bags already happened, correct? Were those body bags for the body parts from the plane crash or has that scene even happened yet? I'm confused.

Some notes:

1) Please DO NOT post links to illegal streaming sites here. It's against the Terms of Service for TBD.

2) There's a lot of ways for this last season (or is it going to be 2 short seasons? Has Gilligan settled that yet?) to go. Walt vs. Hank/DEA. Walt vs. Jesse. I think the whole storyline with Jesse learning to think and strategize more than a couple steps ahead is going to lead him to suspect Walt of poisoning the kid. Maybe it's just me, but I saw a lot of tension in that parting handshake. I really hope (and I do have confidence that) BB can go out well and not feel like a tack-on.

3) IIRC, the teddy bear eye was in the pool filter. As I understood it, the clean-up people for the plane crash missed it. I believe the flashes have all been closed.

4) As I wrote somewhere in there, I can see "Fly" for what it is: an outward expression of Walt's internal state/nature of obsessiveness and the building tension. Something so small, and he lets it ruin his life for that amount of time, and they were taking such risks (Jesse up on unsteady stacks of stuff) to get rid of something that had an infentesimally small chance of impacting anything in the superlab. I can understand how some people had a problem with it. But, like I said, it did have a purpose in deepening our view of Walt's character.

5) Re: The Sopranos, I read something recently that a number of the actors on the show were confused and then did not like how it ended, at least initially.

Sacrilege! Anybody who didn't get LOST expected way too much or didn't put enough time into it to resources that are available. ("The LOST Encyclopedia" is awesome, BTW. Especially the "Heart of the Island/Source" entry.) I don't get how "The Tree of Life" ending can have impressed so many people and yet they found the LOST ending unsatisfying. I'm sorry, but that was an excellent series from start to end.

Some notes:

1) Please DO NOT post links to illegal streaming sites here. It's against the Terms of Service for TBD.

2) There's a lot of ways for this last season (or is it going to be 2 short seasons? Has Gilligan settled that yet?) to go. Walt vs. Hank/DEA. Walt vs. Jesse. I think the whole storyline with Jesse learning to think and strategize more than a couple steps ahead is going to lead him to suspect Walt of poisoning the kid. Maybe it's just me, but I saw a lot of tension in that parting handshake. I really hope (and I do have confidence that) BB can go out well and not feel like a tack-on.

3) IIRC, the teddy bear eye was in the pool filter. As I understood it, the clean-up people for the plane crash missed it. I believe the flashes have all been closed.

4) As I wrote somewhere in there, I can see "Fly" for what it is: an outward expression of Walt's internal state/nature of obsessiveness and the building tension. Something so small, and he lets it ruin his life for that amount of time, and they were taking such risks (Jesse up on unsteady stacks of stuff) to get rid of something that had an infentesimally small chance of impacting anything in the superlab. I can understand how some people had a problem with it. But, like I said, it did have a purpose in deepening our view of Walt's character.

5) Re: The Sopranos, I read something recently that a number of the actors on the show were confused and then did not like how it ended, at least initially.

Sacrilege! Anybody who didn't get LOST expected way too much or didn't put enough time into it to resources that are available. ("The LOST Encyclopedia" is awesome, BTW. Especially the "Heart of the Island/Source" entry.) I don't get how "The Tree of Life" ending can have impressed so many people and yet they found the LOST ending unsatisfying. I'm sorry, but that was an excellent series from start to end.

Sorry, I didn't know. I deleted the site from my post.

Are you sure all the flashes have been closed? I distinctly remember seeing evidence being gathered outside of Walt's home and one of the pieces of evidence looked like Walt's glasses or maybe it came from the plane, who knows? But they (the glasses) did look exactly like Walt's.

I'm always looking for something new to watch. What's your top five, ajzepp?

That's tough for me cause I'm mostly a movies and sports guy. In terms of scripted tv, I typically only watch after a show is well established and my fellow TBD brethren recommend something. I can tell you that the single best TV experience I've ever had was when I decided to give '24' a shot. I hadn't seen any of the first four seasons, so I decided to rent the discs from Netflix. I still remember watching episode 1 of season 1 late one night and I was totally captivated within the first fifteen minutes. I was hooked, and I sped through the first four seasons in no time. Starting with season 5 I was up to date and watching along with everyone else.

Same thing happened with Breaking Bad, except in this case it was just getting caught up with the first two seasons. But as we've all agreed, it's an amazing show.

Another show I like that I watched in short order recently was Nurse Jackie. I'm an RN, and the show is sensationalized but it has a lot of issues that really do go on in a hospital/ER setting, so I've had fun with the show.

I enjoyed watching all the seasons of Lost on Netflix, but didn't love the show as much as others did...as I mentioned above, though, loved the finale...really touched me and I loved the message.

Sopranos is certainly up there...that was a great ride...again, I watched all but the last season on DVD.

Band of Brothers...fantastic. Saw all of those episodes on blu-ray.

The Pacific...not quite as good as BoB, but close. Very realistic and intense battle scenes.

I tried to get into Mad Men, but it didn't take.

Right now I'm sort of feeling out Weeds, and I'm starting to get into Sons of Anarchy since that show has a lot of followers here.

Over the last 5-10 years, that's really about all the scripted shows I've seen. Only other one I can think of is the Office, which I loved until Michael Scott left.

• 4 weeks later...

Some updates on the show:

It will be two more seasons of 8 episodes each. I don't know if this has been shared here before, but it's the first time I'm seeing it set in concrete.

They are filming S5 currently.

Gilligan and his writing team have a rough outline of what they want gor the major characters and the end of the series.

Link

"...we love Anna Gunn, who plays Walter's wife Skyler. She's a wonderful actress, we enjoy working with her immensely and we like coming up with scenes for her to play."

:thumbdown:

I still have that season finale on my DVR. I just can't force myself to hit the delete button on such a masterpiece

Understandable. I still have a few of those scenes burned into my brain...the look on his face when he's in the w/c...holy crap

"...we love Anna Gunn, who plays Walter's wife Skyler. She's a wonderful actress, we enjoy working with her immensely and we like coming up with scenes for her to play."

:thumbdown:

I read an interview Alan Sepinwall did with the producers of HBO's new show "Girls". He mentioned how the comments section of his reviews for both "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad" contained so much vitriol for the wives of the protagonists while those same men were responsible for horrible deeds that were also cheered by those same people. It says something about our society... but I'm not sure what.