Trade for Carson Palmer

EDinRTP

I say draft Von Miller & one of those monster linemen from Wisconsin.

Trade for Carson Palmer...we need a veteran leader at the helm, plus he played with Fitzy with the Bengals.

Fitzpatrick is a veteran at this point. Palmer sucks and has sucked for some time now.

Let's face it...this is just a bad (stupid) idea. You really think Fitzpatrick would be happy to back up Palmer, again? At this point, I am not sure that Palmer is that much better than Fitz, just a bigger name. Palmer has not been the same since his injuries a few years ago, and, IMO, his performance is a big part of why the Bengals underachieved this past season.

Even if Palmer were at the top of his game, this would never happen. He is saying "trade me or I will retire" to the Bengals. He isn't going to want to come to Buffalo...he has a handful of teams he wants to play for, if he can't, he says he will retire. Those close to Palmer seem to think he is very serious.

Besides, getting Palmer, who is on the downside of his career it seems, would only set the team back...they would have to give up too much, and pay him too much...Fitz is fine for now...get a younger guy to start grooming...Fitz is the vetran they "need".

Edited by Buftex

I know its 420 but damn!

LOL, no kidding.

First off, Fitz is better than Palmer on the Bills at this point.

Secondly, it would be a re-hash of the Bledsoe trade all over again.

NO MORE veteran QBs on the tail end of their career. Our next QB after Fitz needs to be one we DRAFT and who can be our franchise QB for 10 years.

How could you possibly say that Fitz is playing at a much higher level than Palmer? Literally nothing backs that claim up.

If you can make throws to Steve Johnson and an overrated Lee Evans with the likes of David Nelson and still put up similar numbers to someone who's throwing to T.O, Ochocinco, Caldwell, Shipley, and Gresham. Then I'd say so.

Fitz has the support of his team...Carson? Not so much.

If you can make throws to Steve Johnson and an overrated Lee Evans with the likes of David Nelson and still put up similar numbers to someone who's throwing to T.O, Ochocinco, Caldwell, Shipley, and Gresham. Then I'd say so.

Fitz has the support of his team...Carson? Not so much.

FINALLY, we agree on something... :thumbsup:

All the reason to NOT do this trade, right here.....

For those that dont have Facebook, some direct links...

Caption: Working out with the boys in AZ

Pic #2

Caption: Working on Routes

Caption: The boys at Camp Fitz

Fitz has organized his team's workout. Carson's brother is organizing the Bengal's workout. Nuff said.

Fitz should be our starter for the next 2 years while we groom his successor.

Only problem is this is his last year under contract.

So we're in a situation where we either need to sign Fitz to a multi-year extension ASAP, OR draft a QB NOW while we have him around. OR both, but I dont see Fitz re-signing if we draft a QB early this year.

I dunno...

Fitz is only 28. I think we could get at least 4 more years out of him if it came down to it. Interesting situation for sure.

Only problem is this is his last year under contract.

So we're in a situation where we either need to sign Fitz to a multi-year extension ASAP, OR draft a QB NOW while we have him around. OR both, but I dont see Fitz re-signing if we draft a QB early this year.

I dunno...

Fitz is only 28. I think we could get at least 4 more years out of him if it came down to it. Interesting situation for sure.

I would still sign him to a 3 year extension. He's not going to demand top money and even if we do take someone like Gabbert at 3, he won't be NFL ready for a year or 2. Fitz seems like a selfless person that understands his role on this team.

I would still sign him to a 3 year extension. He's not going to demand top money and even if we do take someone like Gabbert at 3, he won't be NFL ready for a year or 2. Fitz seems like a selfless person that understands his role on this team.

That is best case scenario, and one I definitely hopes plays out, regardless of who the rookie QB is (Newton, Gabbert, Mallet, etc).

I wouldn't do that. I'm not giving up draft picks/young prospects for an aging QB who hasn't been the same since his elbow injury a few years ago.

Agreed. Why in the world would the Bills trade for this guy??? He's old and injury prone. I can't see how in the world trading away draft picks for him is going to help the Bills

Trade for Carson Palmer...we need a veteran leader at the helm, plus he played with Fitzy with the Bengals.

No way in heck would you want to trade for Palmer. He hasn't been anything but average at best since he tore his knee up in the playoff game against the Steelers. Yes, he did play with Fitzy, and as almost any Bengal fan will tell you, Fitzy outplayed him. He has something like 50 million more dollars guaranteed on his contract, so even if he was Joe Montana in his prime, Ralphy wouldn't allow it. I will be the first to admit that Fitzy isn't the answer in Buffalo, and really will never be nothing more than a really good backup, but Palmer is not a step up even in the least bit. Unless a team already has a playoff/championship caliber roster and needs a quarterback, no team should pay that to a quarterback like Palmer that hasn't been impressive. Now, I don't dislike Palmer, in fact I kinda admire him for all the crap and losing he has put up with in Cincy for almost a decade and kept his mouth shut, but with the lack of talent in Buffalo, bringing him in would make about as much of a difference to the end of the year record that adding T.O. did a couple years ago. The only answer is to draft a franchise quarterback if they believe one is out there, and the Bills will never be a championship competitor until they do that.

Edited by billsfreak

I was in the camp that felt Fitzy earned the starting role for 2011, and this way he's had such a solid turn out to his "camp" just solidifies that view. I've become a fan of this kid and I really think he'll be fine as our QB. If we get our D and our Oline improved, we'll be in good shape.

In addition, the following season in Buffalo, Fitz was 4-4 as the starter while Trent Edwards was 2-5.

So in 2008 and 2009, Fitz was 8-11 as the starter on two bad football teams while the other quarterbacks of those teams compiled a 2-9 record.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want Palmer here, but by your theory (just wins and losses) you would take Edwards over Palmer? That might be the only case I would want Palmer.

FWIW, in 2008 when both Fitz and Palmer were quarterbacking the Bengals, Fitz was 4-7 as the starter while Palmer was 0-4.

In addition, the following season in Buffalo, Fitz was 4-4 as the starter while Trent Edwards was 2-5.

So in 2008 and 2009, Fitz was 8-11 as the starter on two bad football teams while the other quarterbacks of those teams compiled a 2-9 record.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want Palmer here, but by your theory (just wins and losses) you would take Edwards over Palmer? That might be the only case I would want Palmer.

No, because we're talking about two different football teams.

My point is that Fitz outplayed Palmer in Cinci and then came to Buffalo and outplayed Trent.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Palmer had all those recievers with the bengals last year and he couldn't do a damn thig... Forget someone elses problem... The Bills can move on without another teams cast off!!

No, because we're talking about two different football teams.

My point is that Fitz outplayed Palmer in Cinci and then came to Buffalo and outplayed Trent.

[/quote

You were the one who grouped Edwards' and Palmer's records together? Fitz outplayed two crappy quarterbacks on two terrible teams, he still isn't a quality NFL starter whether you group Palmer and Edwards together or not.

I was just saying how it's been a while since the Bills gave away a #1 pick for a washed-up, over-the-hill, never-was superstar QB, especially a guy who wants to leave his perennial loser team. Sounds like match made in heaven.

PTR

Palmer is done and was always overrated to begin with

what does Palmer having played with Fitz with the Bengals have to do with anything? not like they can be out there playing at the same time

This is a terrible idea. Not because I think Fitz is better than Carson, because I don't, but because we already have a cheaper veteran QB in Fitz. Palmer is on the downside of his career, and even though I think he is more talented than Fitz as a QB, I don't think at this point in his career he offers much of an upgrade (if any at all) over Fitz. So why would giving up any needed assets like say draft picks be a prudent move when we are rebuilding right now? Someone like Minn makes much more sense who is ready to compete next year for a Championship if they can stabilize the QB spot, and Carson would be an upgrade right now for them over Webb.

For a rebuilding team, Fitz is just fine, especially since he already knows the system, is much more mobile, and has rapport with our receivers already. So lets keep our assets and use them to fill holes on this team while we let Fitz lead it for a year or two as we groom a rookie behind him.

Been hanging out at the medical marijuana clinic or something?

Geez, didn't realize there were so many Carson Palmer fans out there! :)

I just don't think either Newton or Gabbert are the answer for us in the long term & would rather wait to draft our next franchise QB next year. In the meantime the Fitz can handle our QB duties well. Just have a feeling wherever Palmer ends up, he has a couple really good years left in him, especially getting out of the envionment he's been in with the Bengals.

Geez, didn't realize there were so many Carson Palmer fans out there! :)

I just don't think either Newton or Gabbert are the answer for us in the long term & would rather wait to draft our next franchise QB next year. In the meantime the Fitz can handle our QB duties well. Just have a feeling wherever Palmer ends up, he has a couple really good years left in him, especially getting out of the envionment he's been in with the Bengals.

Not that I'm hell bent on drafting a QB, although I'd like to draft newton or gabbert if nix and gailey are too, but if we don't, we're in an awkward situation next year. Fitzs contract is up at the end of the year and I'd bet that he's not looking to sign a one or two year deal when it is up. If he plays well this year, he's probably gonna want to sign a multi year deal, probably worth more than we're gonna want to pay him, especially of we plan on drafting a qb in the first round (assuming we're in position to). Do you think ralph will open up his wallet to sign Fitz AND pay a drafted QB big money (depending on what the rookie pay scale is)? It's something that they may be looking at this year, and decide to draft the QB, have him learn behind Fitz this year, then let Fitz walk and hand the reigns over. If they truly are "planning" for the future, I would think there's a good possibilty they are thinking along those lines. Just a thought.

Thank god your not running this show !!! Besides with the CBA not settled you can't trade for other players until it is .

Palmer is no better than who we have Fitzy & may in some instances be worse !! On top of throwing away draft picks that's just plain Jauronian at best . :w00t:

Why not just bring back J.P . with Chan as his coach he could turn Losman into a winner !!

Edited by T master