Have you seen this load of BS?

dailar

See: Harris, James. Buffalo Bills.

I won't even mention Willie Totten.

GO BILLS!!!

Good call...Willie Totten...he was the guy who threw passes to Jerry Rice, at Mississippi State...started one "scab" game for the Bills, in 1987, IIRC.

I won't say it was Ralph Wilson, but from what I have gathered over the years, that Lou Saban did have a problem with black QB's. He wasn't keen on James Harris, I will defer to KRC for that kind of info. That attitude was more prevalent back in Sabans day...

That said, I don't get the feeling that Buddy Nix, or Chan Gailey would be uncomfortable with Cam Newton, or any black QB playing for the Bills...I can't say I feel as confident about that when it comes to the fans. I don't think Bills fans are any more bigoted than other football fans, but I know there are Bills fans whose head would explode if they saw a black man playing for the Bills...unless they started winning.

Edited by Buftex

The really funny part is how this guy must be so high on Newton and there is another writers report of buffaloes best,worst and realistic draft scenarios and they list Newton as the worst choice.

Would be even funnier if the same guy wrote it but he didn't.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/667927-2011-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-wont-select-cam-newton-because-he-is-black

Enjoy.

My favourite bit is this

Buffalo has passed on many different black quarterbacks over the years including Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick, David Garrard, Tavaris Jackson, Josh Johnson just to name a few and if this crazy notion is true then the Buffalo Bills will also pass on QB, Cam Newton.

They also passed on Tom Brady, Brett Favre and Drew Brees.

Before your post I didn't think the Bills were racist but now I'm not sure. If I read your entry correctly the Bills have passed on 5 black QBs and only 3 white ones. I have to admit that it does seem strange.

The Bills won't draft a black QB - only black Olinemen, TE, RB, WR, Dline, LB, Safety, CB (kicker *is* conspicuously absent!).

They're racist!

Dude, we're not racist, just bad at drafting...

Ramius, on 16 April 2011 - 04:53 PM, said:The Bills hate black QBs, yet they tried to trade for McNabb last season.

No they didn't.

Not because he's black, because he sucks and Nix knows it.

IIRC, we made a significant offer to Philly and it was McNabb who said he didn't want to play for us.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/667927-2011-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-wont-select-cam-newton-because-he-is-black

Enjoy.

My favourite bit is this

Buffalo has passed on many different black quarterbacks over the years including Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick, David Garrard, Tavaris Jackson, Josh Johnson just to name a few and if this crazy notion is true then the Buffalo Bills will also pass on QB, Cam Newton.

Very inept reporting. As some of you mentioned, James Harris was drafted out of Grambling way back in 1968 or 69. The Bills were pioneers to some extent.

What the article can correctly state is that the Bills have been very poor at drafting QBs period, black or white is not the issue. I guess that would not add enough shock value to the story.

Edited by Bob in STL

I know this is some clown's personal blog, but he apparently is syndicated by major sites (FoxSports.com, etc). Any way we can flame him? :D

Yes, write rational, sensible letters to fox and the other sites that use him and inform that his continued writing on the site will lead you to look at other sources for sports news.

IIRC, we made a significant offer to Philly and it was McNabb who said he didn't want to play for us.

That was more a matter of the media running with what limited information they had, far more speculation than any basis in fact.

Like a lot of other teams we sniffed around some, but the offer we made was much more modest than what the Eagles received from others.

Philly's decision had nothing to do with McNabb's wishes; they might have taken less to get him out of the division, but not that much less.

Lou Sabin did have problems with Marlin Briscoe.

http://www.amazon.com/Third-Mile-Emergence-Black-Quarterback/dp/B000WMFZMO

Third and a mile is an excellent read. Has a chapter about James Harris who had never even talked to a white man until he was drafted by the Bills. He went to Grambling. Eddie Robinson kept him from quitting numerous times.

I saw James Harris play when I was a kid, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a stronger arm.

Enjoy.

My favourite bit is this

What an absolute load of %$it this is. We pass on all good players regardless of color. Is Aaron Maybin white. Hell he could be orange but he would still suck. Terrible article with no merit or substance other than an ignorant opinion.

Buffalo ****, change it to the Feltcher Report!

The majority of the 32 teams have turned down all those QB's, except for Newton so far!

What the article doesn't mention is this...James Harris QB from Grambling--Bills made Harris THE FIRST BLACK PLAYER to quarterback--but, He Sucked!

Correction, first black quarterback for the Bills. Willie Thrower was first (albeit not starting), with Marlin Briscoe after him (starting) if you are only considering modern-era players.

SIDE NOTE: I interviewed Briscoe last year and he told me an interesting story. He was in a bar in Chicago with one of his receivers. The receiver introduced Briscoe to the bartender as the "first black quarterback." A gentleman was sitting next to them said "No, you aren't." Briscoe said, "Yes I am." The gentleman said, " No you aren't. I am." Briscoe replied, "Who are you." The gentleman said, "Willie Thrower." They talked for several hours.

I won't say it was Ralph Wilson, but from what I have gathered over the years, that Lou Saban did have a problem with black QB's. He wasn't keen on James Harris, I will defer to KRC for that kind of info. That attitude was more prevalent back in Sabans day...

Let's just say Saban was not a fan of black QB's.

What an absolute load of %$it this is. We pass on all good players regardless of color.

I understand that you were being serious, but this is one of the funniest posts that I have ever seen on this board. Only a true Bills fan would really understand it. It is funny and sad at the same time, but oh so true!

Hey, we even passed on a great Samoan (Ngata). The Bills don't care who you are. If you have talent, we don't want you!!! LOL

I understand that you were being serious, but this is one of the funniest posts that I have ever seen on this board. Only a true Bills fan would really understand it. It is funny and sad at the same time, but oh so true!

Hey, we even passed on a great Samoan (Ngata). The Bills don't care who you are. If you have talent, we don't want you!!! LOL

+1

:lol: I thought the same thing when I read it. I chuckled and then felt horrible all at once... Ah, the life of a Buffalo sports fan...

Lou Sabin did have problems with Marlin Briscoe.

I saw James Harris play when I was a kid, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a stronger arm.

SAW him play?? You were one of his wide receivers!

Concussion syndrom?0:)