Good Nawrocki article on this year's character concerns

Very good article. I would take Newton off our draft board, and maybe Fairley too. I would love to see the Bills trade down, get JJ Watt and Kyle Rudolph with the extra picks. Character does make teams better

character will only take you so far. buffalo is a team that is lacking TALENT and I say buffalo needs to get the most talented players they can. I think character "questions", up to a certain point, can be overlooked.

Very good article. It makes me think that Watt will go higher than expected.

Could you imagine the giddiness of this board if the Panthers pass on Newton, the Bills find a trading parter to a team who wants Newton (thinking Bengals will draft him) and the Bills end up with Watt, Rudolph and Reed in the first two rounds?

It is plausible.

character will only take you so far. buffalo is a team that is lacking TALENT and I say buffalo needs to get the most talented players they can. I think character "questions", up to a certain point, can be overlooked.

+1

Marv Levy focused on having teams with high character and look where it has put us. We have the high character teams with no talent and not many wins to show for it. While character is a factor it should not be the dominant factor. These are football players. I remember from my college days the majority of the players were 18-21 years of age drinking and acting very rowdy after games. They just didn't behave like polished adults. If the truth was told you can probably question the character of at least 90% of the players being drafted if you want to. It's time that we start putting strong imphasis on weighting talent in the evaluation process maybe then we will start making playoff appearances.

Edited by VADC Bills

You can't coach work ethic. You either have that or you don't. That's what makes Fairley radioactive.

How many times has "lack of work ethic" doomed otherwise talented football players in the NFL?

Knowing when to take a chance on a player with character concerns such as Florida State DL Darnell Dockett, who has become a perennial Pro Bowler, and when to stray from a character risk such as J.P. Losman, who fizzled out of the league, often define drafts.
:bag:

Could you imagine the giddiness of this board if the Panthers pass on Newton, the Bills find a trading parter to a team who wants Newton (thinking Bengals will draft him) and the Bills end up with Watt, Rudolph and Reed in the first two rounds?

It is plausible.

I'd be beyond "giddy" if it fell this way. Tennessee at eight could very well want to leapfrog Cincy. In the point value chart, the third pick is worth 2200 points. The eight pick is worth 1400 points; a difference of 800. 800 points will get you Tenn. second round pick #39 overall-worth 500 points, their third round pick #77 overall worth 205 points and the first of their fourth round picks, #109 overall worth 76 points. Total 781 points just under the 800 point difference needed for Tennessee to move up to our third pick overall.

Point Value Chart: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

It is plausible.

I don't know what kind of codeine you've been drinking but its guaranteed if Carolina passes on Newton he is a Bill. Nobody's gonna trade up with Carolina or Denver because they'd have to give up a ton. Denver's not gonna draft Cam because they have Tebow. So the only way we don't end up with Cam is Carolina, they are the key. Which I don't think they will cause of Clausen (he sucked last year but he was a rookie most rookie qb's do plus talk about a waste of a second rounder). No matter the Cam hate deep down inside yall know I'm right.

IN CAM WE TRUST!

If Cam Newton goes to Carolina and we take Von Miller, I'd consider trading back into the first round to take Mallet if he's still available. He's NFL ready and if he's getting it together at all, he's a dominant talent. Just sayin.

Very good article. I would take Newton off our draft board, and maybe Fairley too. I would love to see the Bills trade down, get JJ Watt and Kyle Rudolph with the extra picks. Character does make teams better

:thumbsup:

I don't know what kind of codeine you've been drinking but its guaranteed if Carolina passes on Newton he is a Bill. Nobody's gonna trade up with Carolina or Denver because they'd have to give up a ton. Denver's not gonna draft Cam because they have Tebow. So the only way we don't end up with Cam is Carolina, they are the key. Which I don't think they will cause of Clausen (he sucked last year but he was a rookie most rookie qb's do plus talk about a waste of a second rounder). No matter the Cam hate deep down inside yall know I'm right.

IN CAM WE TRUST!

:thumbdown: no brains, no thanks.

It is plausible.

beat me to it.

Nawrocki harps on this nonsense every year. He said Percy Harvin was "the clear-cut favorite in this year’s draft class to find trouble after receiving a giant payday". Harvin went on to be Offensive Rokie of the Year an All Pro. Listed a bunch of others who were likely going to be problems (Raji, Oher, Maualuga).

Interesting he labels JP Losman a "character risk".

Nawrocki harps on this nonsense every year. He said Percy Harvin was "the clear-cut favorite in this year’s draft class to find trouble after receiving a giant payday". Harvin went on to be Offensive Rokie of the Year an All Pro. Listed a bunch of others who were likely going to be problems (Raji, Oher, Maualuga).

Interesting he labels JP Losman a "character risk".

I separate out work ethic from the broader discussion about "character" and I think Nawrocki confuses the two when trying to explain both.

Are Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Lawrence Taylor high character guys? Probably not, but they've never been accused of taking plays off or disappearing in games.

Harvin, Raji, Oher and Maualuga all have top shelf work ethics. They work constantly to get better, and that's what's important, and that's what the Bills need. Guys that not only possess rare talent, but also have the inner motivation and drive to persistently hone it.

That's the knock on Fairley and sadly, Dareus. These guys don't have that level of self motivation that's a big factor in their future NFL careers. I think Jamarcus Russell could have been half decent if he worked on his career.

That's why even though I'm a Dareus fan, guys like Miller, Jordan, Kerrigan, Watt etc. are attractive for the Bills. You know that you don't have to rely on money and coaching to motivate them on a daily basis.

I agree in the surprise in J.P. Losman. I didn't think he was a character or had a work ethic problem at Tulane or in Buffalo.