Who is Blaine Gabbert anyway?

here's a shot he took in the game against Nebraska, at which point Missouri was ranked 6th in the nation, unfortunately for Missouri they got whooped:

youtube.com/watch?v=NfYxKRR2Wl4

This looks exactly like several of the shots Fitz took this year. Not as bad though as the one that ended Trent's confidence though (per TBD legend).

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a bit skeptical of drafting a QB at #3, with all our other needs, not to mention having a productive starter in Fitz. However I am completely sold, and hope Gabbert is the pick come April 28th. Heres why:

Gabbert has a strong arm, accurate, good athlete, produced in college, smart, and prototypical size. His one flaw is he played the spread and wasnt under center. Man, ill take that flaw over any other flaw. No other QB matches up with him. You have to admit it. Newton too raw, more of a runner and a one year wonder. Locker, no accuracy. Dalton, Ponder, Kaepernick, a step down. Everyone on this board has to forget the QB they are in love with, and compare their abilities with Gabberts. He wins. Hes the franchise QB if this draft has one. And we all have to agree, cant pass up on a franchise QB.

He will also be much like the Spiller pick since fitz produced and has a year left, Gabbert can sit a year and learn. Perfect.

Plus, with this being such a deep draft defensively, we can still find good defensive players later. And lets be optimistic bills fans, the second half of the year we were much more competitive, i think it took gailey time to shake the rust off. We can definately be an 8-8 team next yr with a few changes, and then hand the keys over to Gabbert.

I really hope Carolina stands by Clausen, and Denver stands by Tebow. I really hope Gabbert falls to us. Who else is out there with me?

GO BILLS

There's one other thing - he doesn't hold in the pocket he get's ansy when there's the slightest bit of pressure , & i've heard comparisons to J.P. Losman & that scares me although i think J.P. with Chan at the helm would have a much better chance of having a decent career than he did under either coach he worked for while with the Bills !!!!

There's one other thing - he doesn't hold in the pocket he get's ansy when there's the slightest bit of pressure , & i've heard comparisons to J.P. Losman & that scares me although i think J.P. with Chan at the helm would have a much better chance of having a decent career than he did under either coach he worked for while with the Bills !!!!

Show me one example where hes been compared to JP

I might not be completely on board the Gabbert train but the comparisons to JP begin and end with their ability to scramble.......

Gabbert has a very good intermediate accurate passing game that Losman NEVER had.....had Losman been horribly inconsistant the throws to WR's feet was maddening he would still be a Bill today

The more time that goes on....the more I think it is going to be hard to screw up this pick....I am a Von Miller guy.......but I could totally understand the bills deciding that there will be good defensive talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (plus the signing of Merrimen, the return of Batten, and the emergence of Moates) where they just decide in the end to go with a QB to sit the bench.....I think there are like 4 to 5 QBs in this draft that are going to be good.......Gabbert could well end up being great.

I think that the Bills are fixing the lines.....and you have to let those guys play to get better. And I love Fitz.......but the point about needing an understudy is valid.

2 years ago.....Wood and Levitre, Bell already a fixture, we need to make sure RG and RT are solidified (although I give the Bills credit for using their low status to bring guys in.....I actually like Urbik....Pears I need to see more of

1 year ago......Carrington and Troup.....we HAVE to let these guys play we cant just keep drafting replacements and hopeing that they are better then the previous years replacements when they didnt get their chance. I am very high on both Troup and Carrington.

Now......all bets are off if Darius is on the board.....he is a monster.....and as I said I am a Von Miller fan......but I get drafting a QB...I really do

but I get drafting a QB...I really do

I get drafting a QB too. But we should follow Buddy Nix advice where he says if you go for need, the guy better be good, or you've wasted about 5 years (see JP Losman). I just don't think any QB in the draft this year is that guy. Pass. Get the Best Player Available (that's not a DB or RB) and find a QB later. IMHO

Edited by reddogblitz

Yeh, I have been on with the Gabbert pick for quite some time. A little hazy now and then but always coming back to it. If I could tell you why with certainty maybe I would have a job in the Bills draft room. Just got a good feeling for a Gabbert pick. I like smart. I am happy to sit back and watch the mystery unfold.

I get drafting a QB too. But we should follow Buddy Nix advice where he says if you go for need, the guy better be good, or you've wasted about 5 years (see JP Losman). I just don't think any QB in the draft this year is that guy. Pass. Get the Best Player Available (that's not a DB or RB) and find a QB later. IMHO

I really like Gabbert, but how many years are we gonna waste first round picks on guys who don't immediately contribute, and I mean CONTRIBUTE, not CJ Spiller and Aaron Maybin contribute, but real contribution.

Can't make picks like that and continue to expect the playoffs, it won't happen. You have to draft immediate need at 3...

i think it took gailey time to shake the rust off. We can definately be an 8-8 team next yr with a few changes, and then hand the keys over to Gabbert.

GO BILLS

The problem is that with only two seasons of experience as a starter in college and then he would be asked to not only learn the pro game, but to do so with us being what I see as two starters short of adequacy on D (OLB and DE) and also a player and a half short of adequacy on the OL (RT and a swing guy who allows us to make a replacement without missing a bear- plus the OL will need a year of building chemistry before it is merely adequate). Its a longshot for any player not meriting a 3rd round or better choice to be starting talent. The primary way we build an adequate team through the draft is time or by trading down to get more 1st-3rd picks.

Even worse begin to see in your post the drumbeat already starting for Gabbert to play and produce next year.

Hr needs (at least) two years sitting on the bench and learning practice before he can likely be productive.

If we do take Gabbert critical to his development will be Gailey showing the discipline and the rookies skill building skills to resist the whines of WGR, Sully and a small buy vocal part of the fan base not to start him at all next year.

I doubt we will see that and just as the Bills have ruined a bunch of young QBs over the last 12 years, my guess is they add Gabbert to that collection if we draft him at #3.

I was a bit skeptical of drafting a QB at #3, with all our other needs, not to mention having a productive starter in Fitz. However I am completely sold, and hope Gabbert is the pick come April 28th. Heres why:

Gabbert has a strong arm, accurate, good athlete, produced in college, smart, and prototypical size. His one flaw is he played the spread and wasnt under center. Man, ill take that flaw over any other flaw. No other QB matches up with him. You have to admit it. Newton too raw, more of a runner and a one year wonder. Locker, no accuracy. Dalton, Ponder, Kaepernick, a step down. Everyone on this board has to forget the QB they are in love with, and compare their abilities with Gabberts. He wins. Hes the franchise QB if this draft has one. And we all have to agree, cant pass up on a franchise QB.

He will also be much like the Spiller pick since fitz produced and has a year left, Gabbert can sit a year and learn. Perfect.

Plus, with this being such a deep draft defensively, we can still find good defensive players later. And lets be optimistic bills fans, the second half of the year we were much more competitive, i think it took gailey time to shake the rust off. We can definately be an 8-8 team next yr with a few changes, and then hand the keys over to Gabbert.

I really hope Carolina stands by Clausen, and Denver stands by Tebow. I really hope Gabbert falls to us. Who else is out there with me?

GO BILLS

Thanks for joining the Gabbert band wagon and he will be wearing 11 for us. However he is not a Spiller pick as drafting Spiller would be like drafting Gabbert when you have Matt Ryan and Tony Romo. Drafting Spiller was a colossal mistake when He wasn't a complete back and we had two good starters already. That pick should have gone to Bulaga and we wouldn't have to worry about RT in this draft :wallbash: .

Cocaine is a hell of a drug...

More like heroin.

I really like Gabbert, but how many years are we gonna waste first round picks on guys who don't immediately contribute, and I mean CONTRIBUTE, not CJ Spiller and Aaron Maybin contribute, but real contribution.

Can't make picks like that and continue to expect the playoffs, it won't happen. You have to draft immediate need at 3...

Franchise QB trumps all, we can still get contributors in the second and beyoned; Reed, Rudolph, Cannon, Acho, Paea, McCarthy, etc.

GO BILLS

:worthy:

I am absolutely with you on Gabbert at number 3. I'll take Newton there if the Panthers decide to go with Gabbert at 1. Plus, I agree that both Clausen and Tebow deserve more time to see if they can become the franchise QB's of their teams.

Without greatly improving our defense and offensive line, it won't matter who the QB is. Especially if he's a rook. Fix the lines. We got a QB.

That is certainly one valid way to go. But it would really suck if both Newton and Gabbert, or either one of them, were passed up by the Bills at 3, and then they both go on to become Pro Bowl QB's for other teams while Fitzy never takes the Bills as far as some believe he can during those same years! Of course the Bills can luck out with another QB in this draft, and he may turn out just as good or even better then Newton or Gabbert down the line. But it still worries me that the Bills will probably pass up on one of the two best rated QB's in a draft where they pick high enough to draft one of them. Certainly, none of us think they will or want them to finish bad enough to be drafting this high again anytime soon!

It has been 15 years since their last franchise QB retired, and it seems that there are few of us left on this board, that remember how much Jimbo meant to the team during his Hall of Fame career!

GO BILLS

You need to dig just a little bit deeper past the great white hype machine...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=gabbert+pressure&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

It's a none too well kept secret that Gabbert has the pocket presence of our last two franchise QBs, Losman and Edwards. The Bill will thankfully pass on him, he'll be drafted by the 49ers who'll eventually find out that it's a very bad thing to have a "franchise" QB with happy feet.

I was with your line of thinking until yesterday. I was able to talk to Jim Miller on Sirius NFL radio. His opinion is that Bills brass thinks Gabbert does not bring anything more the Fitz. Arm strength, intelligence, mobility. He thinks that is why they'll wait on QB. I'm now thinking D the first few rounds and grab Tyrod Tayler out of VT in the later rounds.

If we take Gabbert then it’s pretty obvious that Buddy Chan in planning on him being our Franchise QB. In that case I do not want him sitting on the bench for a year “learning” behind Fitz. I want him starting from day 1 of training camp. You can only learn one third of the game from watching on the sideline. Maybe one half if you are an optimist. The rest needs to be learned in game action. Play the kid from day 1 and see what he’s got. If he struggles like hell then pull him for a few weeks in and let him watch from the sideline – that’s how you learn something, struggle through it, sit a few plays out and see what the coach is saying, then go back in a much better player after the game has slowed down for you a bit.

I would understand if Newton or Kaepernack were held out for a while because I don’t believe they could even call a play in the huddle, but Gabbert or Dalton or Ponder, they should start day 1 no questions asked.