I HATE BASEBALL

Big Buffalo

So baseball is boring, but you enjoy a bunch of grown men (who can't keep time) run around for a couple of hours and score 1 time every 3 games, while they flop and whine like giant crybabies if someone comes within 3 feet of them?

At least baseball requires skill. Soccer is for those too uncoordinated to use their hands in real sports.

what the??

football doesnt require skill? i think the whole sport requires skill, thought, and execution. yes even the fat asses up front play a delicate balance of skill and kick ass. lol.

how about throwing a football to someone in stride?

kickers needs skill too.

how about cbs who are skilled at intercepting. timing and jumping in front of the ball at the right moment. no skill there?

as far as your soccer comment.... you need to check you tube and look up lionel messi or ronaldinho to see the kind of "uncoordinated" and super crazy things they do with their feet. plus have you ever played it? it takes stamina to last even 10 freaking minutes.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what the??

football doesnt require skill? i think the whole sport requires skill, thought, and execution. yes even the fat asses up front play a delicate balance of skill and kick ass. lol.

how about throwing a football to someone in stride?

kickers needs skill too.

how about cbs who are skilled at intercepting. timing and jumping in front of the ball at the right moment. no skill there?

as far as your soccer comment.... you need to check you tube and look up lionel messi or ronaldinho to see the kind of "uncoordinated" and super crazy things they do with their feet. plus have you ever played it? it takes stamina to last even 10 freaking minutes.

I was talking about baseball versus soccer. Saying baseball is boring but soccer is awesome is about as laughable as it gets.

If Rohnaldinho or Messi had real skills and coordination, they'd play real sports like football or hockey, and not kickball. Soccer is the only sport where the game is exactly the same if you're watching 5 year olds play it or watching the top leagues play it. A bunch of people chasing a ball around a giant field, lots of falling, and sometimes the ball goes into the net.

Anyone in FIFA has big time skills. I would love to see a soccer hater try and hit a one timer 40 yard rocket with their left foot. Or place a ball directly on a running players foot 50 yards down the field in stride. Or take a pass over your head and bicycle kick it for a goal. Or bend it like Roberto Carlos. Or try and play midfield for a half. Anyone who thinks soccer players don't have skill is ignorant

Anyone in FIFA has big time skills. I would love to see a soccer hater try and hit a one timer 40 yard rocket with their left foot. Or place a ball directly on a running players foot 50 yards down the field in stride. Or take a pass over your head and bicycle kick it for a goal. Or bend it like Roberto Carlos. Or try and play midfield for a half. Anyone who thinks soccer players don't have skill is ignorant

How often does that happen versus a shortstop diving to the hole to barely snag a speeding grounder get up and just getting the runner at first. Both sports require mean skills but in soccer they're just not demostrated very often. In baseball you can get several plays like that in one inning.

I was talking about baseball versus soccer. Saying baseball is boring but soccer is awesome is about as laughable as it gets.

If Rohnaldinho or Messi had real skills and coordination, they'd play real sports like football or hockey, and not kickball. Soccer is the only sport where the game is exactly the same if you're watching 5 year olds play it or watching the top leagues play it. A bunch of people chasing a ball around a giant field, lots of falling, and sometimes the ball goes into the net.

nice try. but no.

very ignorant.

just on stamina alone, they're done.

How often does that happen versus a shortstop diving to the hole to barely snag a speeding grounder get up and just getting the runner at first. Both sports require mean skills but in soccer they're just not demostrated very often. In baseball you can get several plays like that in one inning.

we are still talking about the nasty fat ass pigs, slobs, losers, and spitting diks that have no eating manners right?

in baseball if you have a fast arm, that's it. you have the right to be a pig. f that!

nice try. but no.

very ignorant.

we are still talking about the nasty fat ass pigs, slobs, losers, and spitting diks that have no eating manners right?

in baseball if you have a fast arm, that's it. you have the right to be a pig. f that!

The best athletes go to the sports popular in their culture. I'm sure there were a few dudes flying down the Alps in Switzerland that might have made decent middle-infielders... it just didn't work out for them.

You like soccer, good for you. Me? I like America. Sports invented here include Baseball, Football (our style) & Basketball. (Whatchoo got?) Much of the rest of the world has adopted these sports. Also born in America: The light bulb, the phonograph, moving pictures (thanks Tom), AC current (which allows us to enjoy these things, thanks George, Nickola). Radio, TV (thanks Philo), the Internet (thanks a bunch of people including Paul Baran, who died last week) that's how we follow our sports. Tons of other stuff, too (thanks Steve Jobs).

Baseball is entirely different than every other sport. Think about it. The defense holds the ball. There's no clock, the game is timed in outs. Way more games than any other sport and we're fine with it. Different doesn't mean better or worse - just different.

Disclaimer: Soccer ain't so bad. The rules provide for flopping, so that's what they do. The NBA has the same problem.

nice try. but no.

very ignorant.

Eating manners?? Don't tell me you wait tables next to Yankee stadium don't you. !@#$ing waiters.

nice try. but no.

very ignorant.

That is a pretty ignorant statement also. I have heard many times that hitting a 98 mph fastball is the toughest thing to do in all of sports. I tend to agree with that statement.

Soccer is not something I watch all the time, but come World Cup time it's WILDLY entertaining. How you Buffalonians who love Hockey can bash soccer the way you have is beyond me. Hitting professional pitching is long considered the toughest thing in sports...but that's a niche skill. Making plays in the infield or diving the outfield is NOTHING compared to what the world class soccer players do. The best athletes in the world play in the NBA, beyond that they play world class soccer. PERIOD. Football has unbelievable athletes too but there are a lot of guys in football that are overly specialized like baseball (football is still full of far better athletes than baseball...as is hockey).

Bottom line in terms of athletes to me it goes:

NBA > Top Soccer > Football > Hockey > Baseball

That's the team sports rankings. Like it or not, baseball players are in no way superior athletes to soccer players (as only a few have said here) and to me soccer is more entertaining. I have no interest really in a baseball or soccer team...to me a neutral observer...soccer is better.

How anybody can think soccer is more watchable than baseball is beyond me. :wallbash:

To me, any sport that goes on for 3 hours and ends up 1-0 is boring.

It's not just that it's 1-0. A hockey game can end up 1-0 and still have a million scoring opportunities and non-stop meaningful action............When a soccer game ends up 1-0 (and when doesn't a soccer game end up 1-0), there were probably 4-5 times to get excited that there might be a score, at the most.

It's not just that it's 1-0. A hockey game can end up 1-0 and still have a million scoring opportunities and non-stop meaningful action............When a soccer game ends up 1-0 (and when doesn't a soccer game end up 1-0), there were probably 4-5 times to get excited that there might be a score, at the most.

It's not just scoring opportunities. It's opportunities to generate scoring opportunities ect...c'mon now football games can be end 14-10 and have been a great game with amazing defense, strategic field position strategy and so on...in terms of entertainment scoring is over-rated. Think about how big a deal a world cup goal can be? If you miss a shot or mishit a pass to a streaking striker then that's a huge deal b/c of how big a deal the goal itself would have been. If a defender makes a great play destroying an opportunity that's a huge deal. Soccer has drama, 1-0 or not...more than baseball.

It's not just scoring opportunities. It's opportunities to generate scoring opportunities ect...c'mon now football games can be end 14-10 and have been a great game with amazing defense, strategic field position strategy and so on...in terms of entertainment scoring is over-rated. Think about how big a deal a world cup goal can be? If you miss a shot or mishit a pass to a streaking striker then that's a huge deal b/c of how big a deal the goal itself would have been. If a defender makes a great play destroying an opportunity that's a huge deal. Soccer has drama, 1-0 or not...more than baseball.

Chicks dig drama. 'Nuff said.

Baseball has the most drama of any sport........And, yeah, the scoring is overrated, but the opportunities are not. There are very few in soccer. It's ridiculous to play that long and have that one goal be that big of a deal, like you say.........And, then the scorer runs into a corner at full speed while the rest of the team follows him, and they jump all over each other for about three minutes, while the clock is still running. Ridiculous........Then, a 1-0 lead is like a 24-0 lead in football. It's pretty over. In baseball, it's never over. You HAVE to get every out to end the game. And, runs can be scored up to 4 at a time, not one at a time.

Baseball has the most drama of any sport........And, yeah, the scoring is overrated, but the opportunities are not. There are very few in soccer. It's ridiculous to play that long and have that one goal be that big of a deal, like you say.........And, then the scorer runs into a corner at full speed while the rest of the team follows him, and they jump all over each other for about three minutes, while the clock is still running. Ridiculous........Then, a 1-0 lead is like a 24-0 lead in football. It's pretty over. In baseball, it's never over. You HAVE to get every out to end the game. And, runs can be scored up to 4 at a time, not one at a time.

As you know (I hope) the refs hit their timer and add extra time for the amount of celebration, injury, and otherwise wasted game time running off the clock. In many ways it is better than stopping the clock all the time...helps keep the game moving. Soccer is about the only sport that cares about that anymore.

As for baseball, yeah if you have the bases loaded in a the bottom of the 9th in a playoff game then there's some drama. But that's rare. If you have penalty kicks in the World Cup final that's also drama. Not as rare.

As you know (I hope) the refs hit their timer and add extra time for the amount of celebration, injury, and otherwise wasted game time running off the clock. In many ways it is better than stopping the clock all the time...helps keep the game moving. Soccer is about the only sport that cares about that anymore.

As for baseball, yeah if you have the bases loaded in a the bottom of the 9th in a playoff game then there's some drama. But that's rare. If you have penalty kicks in the World Cup final that's also drama. Not as rare.

A penalty kick in soccer would be the equivalent of a baseball game being decided by taking all the players off the field except the pitcher catcher and batter. Now that would be silly wouldn't it?

I think baseball is an incredible sport to watch...much like many other sports, the game as a whole may not be the most exciting thing, but there are so many games within the game that are so much fun to watch. Last night for instance, the yankee/twins game, guy on second 1 out(i think), ball gets hit on a rope to right field, nick swisher catches it, does his crow hop and fires the ball to 3rd base. The runner never intended on going to 3rd(as it turns out), but ARod caught the ball in the perfect spot had the runner tagged and slid into the base. It was far more interesting to watch that 'non-play' than it is to watch most at bats. If you want to get a good grasp of the games little nuances, read george wills 'men at play', its a great baseball book, and not too difficult to read despite george wills verbosity

Yeah, they do the timer thing, but it seemed to me every WC I watched last year always had injury time set at three minutes, so it really didn't matter what time was actually wasted.....And, then the part where nobody knows how much time is left but the ref. That is ridiculous.

The thing about keeping the clock moving, I also disagree with. I've been to a ton of my niece's games, and it's so much a part of the game to waste that clock in non-playing situations when you're milking a lead. Subbing for the player furthest from the field, etc. They waste so much time where they don't have to actually be playing and "it's all part of the game." You can't get away with that in hockey or baseball for two examples.

You have to actually play the game to end it.

I do think hockey is the best at keeping the game going. Just one timeout - hoops is ridiculous - and the action is non-stop. Real time is very close to game time.

A penalty kick in soccer would be the equivalent of a baseball game being decided by taking all the players off the field except the pitcher catcher and batter. Now that would be silly wouldn't it?

And, the pitcher dives to one side of the mound right after he pitches it, hoping that they ball comes that way and he snags it.

I think baseball is an incredible sport to watch...much like many other sports, the game as a whole may not be the most exciting thing, but there are so many games within the game that are so much fun to watch. Last night for instance, the yankee/twins game, guy on second 1 out(i think), ball gets hit on a rope to right field, nick swisher catches it, does his crow hop and fires the ball to 3rd base. The runner never intended on going to 3rd(as it turns out), but ARod caught the ball in the perfect spot had the runner tagged and slid into the base. It was far more interesting to watch that 'non-play' than it is to watch most at bats. If you want to get a good grasp of the games little nuances, read george wills 'men at play', its a great baseball book, and not too difficult to read despite george wills verbosity

I just do not find the little "games within games" all that interesting. Yeah, nice pitching battle...so what. Yeah, quick hitting play in the field...so what. There are games within games in ALL sports...football has more of them than does baseball and they are more entertaining...AND the entire game as a whole is entertaining. But that is why football is king. Thing is...basketball has more too. And guess what...wait...wait for it...so does soccer. All it is games within games...guys moving...guys putting the ball in space and being creative...baseball is just flat out boring. Even the games within games are boring. Baseball is the ultimate man-crush sport. It's hilarious to me. That said...I would love it if I could get into it and make my summer better.

Edited by dayman

I just do not find the little "games within games" all that interesting. Yeah, nice pitching battle...so what. Yeah, quick hitting play in the field...so what. There are games within games in ALL sports...football has more of them than does baseball and they are more entertaining...AND the entire game as a whole is entertaining. But that is why football is king. Thing is...basketball has more too. And guess what...wait...wait for it...so does soccer. All it is games within games...guys moving...guys putting the ball in space and being creative...baseball is just flat out boring. Even the games within games are boring. Baseball is the ultimate man-crush sport. It's hilarious to me. That said...I would love it if I could get into it and make my summer better.

I take it your decision to get more into baseball this summer is not working out too well?

WTF - you edited your post right when I was posting mine, making reference to you trying to get into baseball this summer.

What does ultimate man-crush sport mean?

So you like a sport that has more time spent with guys bending over and holding hands? Sounds like the ultimate man crush sport to me.

Really, because I can find a ton of drama in the 5th inning of a regular season game. You know when the game is on the line no matter what the inning.

The best thing about baseball, and what sets it apart from all other sports for me, is that there is no time kept. Therefore there is no milking a clock and wasting time to slow down another team from scoring to protect your lead.

Each team has 27 outs to make something happen and even if you are behind you are still assured at least one more chance to try and come back to win it.

The best athletes go to the sports popular in their culture. I'm sure there were a few dudes flying down the Alps in Switzerland that might have made decent middle-infielders... it just didn't work out for them.

You like soccer, good for you. Me? I like America. Sports invented here include Baseball, Football (our style) & Basketball. (Whatchoo got?) Much of the rest of the world has adopted these sports. Also born in America: The light bulb, the phonograph, moving pictures (thanks Tom), AC current (which allows us to enjoy these things, thanks George, Nickola). Radio, TV (thanks Philo), the Internet (thanks a bunch of people including Paul Baran, who died last week) that's how we follow our sports. Tons of other stuff, too (thanks Steve Jobs).

Baseball is entirely different than every other sport. Think about it. The defense holds the ball. There's no clock, the game is timed in outs. Way more games than any other sport and we're fine with it. Different doesn't mean better or worse - just different.

Disclaimer: Soccer ain't so bad. The rules provide for flopping, so that's what they do. The NBA has the same problem.

what does that have to with the sports discussion? steve jobs apple products have zero to do with the conversation. ZERO

if football was invented by somalians, i would love it. i love football period. football then soccer as 2nd best. FOR ME.

no clock means 5-10 hour games. booooring. after the 11th inning, i gotta go.

you have an umpire. usually a super old guy judging balls vs strikes not a cause for a flop.....sometimes i see strikes that are called balls and balls that are called strikes. funny funny funny.

What does ultimate man-crush sport mean?

IDK. I can't really explain why I said that or feel that way. I do feel like it's basically and individual sport in disguise as a team sport though. But I'm sure baseball purists will reject that.

at the end of the day. watch whatever you want.

ps. mls is not that good. TO ME.

i've been referring to the european leagues with an emphasis in the english premier league. manchester united. chelsea. bolton. etc.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

IDK. I can't really explain why I said that or feel that way. I do feel like it's basically and individual sport in disguise as a team sport though. But I'm sure baseball purists will reject that.

LOL!............I don't know if I'm a purist. I just love it, but I totally agree that it is very much an individual sport (although no individual except the pitcher can control a game). I think hockey is the ultimate in "team sports" - they constantly have to pass, and it seems like either the whole team is playing great or awful - it's all about energy. Football is very much a team sport. And, soccer would be too.......Basketball not so much. One player can dominate it.

But, obviously for me, that's not the end all. I love watching tennis and golf and those are individual sports.

The best thing about baseball, and what sets it apart from all other sports for me, is that there is no time kept. Therefore there is no milking a clock and wasting time to slow down another team from scoring to protect your lead.

Each team has 27 outs to make something happen and even if you are behind you are still assured at least one more chance to try and come back to win it.

“You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all.” - Earl Weaver

If you think baseball is boring you should have watched the Giants-Cards game last night. I only watched form the top of the ninth where the Giants blew a one run lead and the cards went up 4-3. The Giants tied it in the bottom of the ninth. And in the 10th or 11th I forgot seeing I was following it on my phone waiting for my wife the winning run was called out at the plate. Give me a play in football that has as much excitement as the winning run barreling down on home with an outfielder with a gun trying to throw him out. The only thing that comes close is a two minute drill. And that's only good if you have a team that can run it. Every major league outfielder can pretty much hit homeplate on the fly.

Why can't they play in the rain? Are they Gonna melt? Was at padres dodgers game last night. Hard rain but no lightning. 4 game delays before they called it in the top of the 9th. We gave up way before that. Ridiculous but Petco park is pretty cool. Dodgers were at our hotel this am and they honestly didn't look like world class athletes to me.

wet balls...hahahahahaha...I said 'wet balls'.....and wet bats can be very dangerous things in the rain, plus both pitcher and batter are completely focused on hitting pin point spots, rain severely hampers that integral part of the game....if playing in rain is your biggest complaint about baseball, i think the sport is doing just fine

Anyone see that commercial where the fat guy tries to hit a pitch in front of Josh Hamilton? That pretty much sums up the skill required to hit a baseball or play the game for that matter. Baseball is a thinking mans game, that is why some might find it boring. The players aren't out there just chasing a ball or another player from the other team. There is strategy involved that MUST be executed properly to succeed.

Why can't they play in the rain? Are they Gonna melt? Was at padres dodgers game last night. Hard rain but no lightning. 4 game delays before they called it in the top of the 9th. We gave up way before that. Ridiculous but Petco park is pretty cool. Dodgers were at our hotel this am and they honestly didn't look like world class athletes to me.

Its a beautiful stadium. Second Major league stadium id been too and went on whim. Padres vs Mets

David Wright made this catch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXODTqHFDIQ&feature=related

Pretty awesome

Its a beautiful stadium. Second Major league stadium id been too and went on whim. Padres vs Mets

David Wright made this catch

youtube.com/watch?v=CXODTqHFDIQ&feature=related

Pretty awesome

i'd only previously been to old Tigers stadium (for MLB) so to me this park was like disneyland for baseball fans. took my teenaged nephew and we were contemplating doing the pitching and batting cages inside the stadium but i guess we kinda forgot about them and never did...the rain delays were a good time to do it. maybe next time. the atmosphere was great and very friendly...just wish we got to see more play but would definetly go back. that diving, one hand catch you saw would be worth the price of admission by itself.

Edited by birdog1960