Buddy Nix effect ?

papazoid

I'm not sure it's fair to look at how much recent draft picks play. The Chargers are a better team, so it makes sense that draft picks shouldn't be expected to contribute as much.

They probably figured Matthews would be a big part of their offense but I doubt there was another pick in the draft that had much expectation. They're pretty much set across the board.

The Chargers are doing pretty well since Buddy leaft to become the Bills Chief Scout.

If only they had a head coach.......didn't Buddy hire Norv Turner?

San Diego finished 9-7 and out of the playoffs last year.

i believe Buddy was a strong Marty Schottenheimer supporter. i'm pretty sure that A.J. Smith hired Turner.

Listening to Buddy at the State of the Bills I don't get a warm and fuzzy there's got a long term rebuilding plan. Granted it was a pep rally for fans, but it's not comforting to hear they're talking up Erik Pears as the starting RT. This is a guy on his fourth team in 3 seasons. They have major issues on the DL, and their LB's are bottom of the barrel as well.

I have no doubt Buddy can be a solid national scout. But the jury's out on whether or not he's capable of molding a plan to rebuild and then carrying it out. I think he's been promoted beyond his skill set, but only time will tell.

San Diego finished 9-7 and out of the playoffs last year.

i believe Buddy was a strong Marty Schottenheimer supporter. i'm pretty sure that A.J. Smith hired Turner.

Well, yes...you see my point. Top offense AND defense both for nearly the entire season, yet they still missed the playoffs. Their HC sucks--and has a history of sucking. They are a very talented team.

Why do you believe Buddy didn't want to fire Marty and hire Norv?

Well, yes...you see my point. Top offense AND defense both for nearly the entire season, yet they still missed the playoffs. Their HC sucks--and has a history of sucking. They are a very talented team.

Why do you believe Buddy didn't want to fire Marty and hire Norv?

Buddy had no hand in hiring or firing MS, it wasn't his job. MS was fired by Spanos because MS and AJ Smith didn't get along. It came to a head when MS decided to interview his son Kurt for the vacant DC job. Smith went ballistic. Spanos decided MS had to go as a result.

Given the rumors that he was being forced out by Smith in 2008, I doubt Nix and Smith got along very well anyway and I'd be surprised if the saw eye to eye on the decision to fire Schottenheimer.

GO BILLS!!!

Buddy had no hand in hiring or firing MS, it wasn't his job. MS was fired by Spanos because MS and AJ Smith didn't get along. It came to a head when MS decided to interview his son Kurt for the vacant DC job. Smith went ballistic. Spanos decided MS had to go as a result.

Given the rumors that he was being forced out by Smith in 2008, I doubt Nix and Smith got along very well anyway and I'd be surprised if the saw eye to eye on the decision to fire Schottenheimer.

GO BILLS!!!

Why did he then reach for Gailey and not hire Marty?

I read this yesterday and thought the same exact thing. The last 3 drafts haven't been that great. Let's see, Nix left in what year? Oh yes, '07. :thumbsup:

Actually, Buddy left the Chargers right after the '08 draft--so he's responsbile for that awful group. '07 wasn't so great either.

What has the "Buddy Nix effect" been in Buffalo as Chief of Scouting and GM?

Why did he then reach for Gailey and not hire Marty?

Actually, Buddy left the Chargers right after the '08 draft--so he's responsbile for that awful group. '07 wasn't so great either.

What has the "Buddy Nix effect" been in Buffalo as Chief of Scouting and GM?

Do you ask this to support a particular position of yours? Does the decision NOT to hire MS as Bills coach somehow validate the idea that Nix wanted to fire MS in San Diego? I ask because nobody enjoys conjecture more and connects A to Z faster than you.

There may be a dozen reasons why Nix didn't hire Schottenheimer. Why don't you ask him?

GO BILLS!!!

Guest three3

it's not comforting to hear they're talking up Erik Pears

this. when i heard those soundbytes i almost vomited. what a salesman he has become and what suckers the buffalo bills ticket buying population has become.

I have no doubt Buddy can be a solid national scout. But the jury's out on whether or not he's capable of molding a plan to rebuild and then carrying it out. I think he's been promoted beyond his skill set, but only time will tell.

So what makes you think Buddy was promoted beyond his skill set?

Do you ask this to support a particular position of yours? Does the decision NOT to hire MS as Bills coach somehow validate the idea that Nix wanted to fire MS in San Diego? I ask because nobody enjoys conjecture more and connects A to Z faster than you.

There may be a dozen reasons why Nix didn't hire Schottenheimer. Why don't you ask him?

GO BILLS!!!

Not exactly. If you read these posts you would see that the poster I was asking said he believed that Buddy was a strong supporter of Marty. Hence my question. Why did he feel this way? What did he base it on. With no answer forthcoming, I look at the evidence as it exists: in particular, Why was Marty let go by a management team that included a strong supporter? You suggested it was purely the decision of the owner to can MArty. FAir enough.

But when Buddy was in the position of hiring a HC for the Bills, and he was such a strong supporter of Marty, why did he look beyond Marty to pick Gailey? By many accounts, Marty was lobbying for the Bills job.

Given all of this, I feel it's safe to conclude that Nix wasn't that strong of a supporter of Marty. If Buddy had a dozen readons in mind as to why he wouldn't pick MArty, you've proven my point.

Not exactly. If you read these posts you would see that the poster I was asking said he believed that Buddy was a strong supporter of Marty. Hence my question. Why did he feel this way? What did he base it on. With no answer forthcoming, I look at the evidence as it exists: in particular, Why was Marty let go by a management team that included a strong supporter? You suggested it was purely the decision of the owner to can MArty. FAir enough.

But when Buddy was in the position of hiring a HC for the Bills, and he was such a strong supporter of Marty, why did he look beyond Marty to pick Gailey? By many accounts, Marty was lobbying for the Bills job.

Given all of this, I feel it's safe to conclude that Nix wasn't that strong of a supporter of Marty. If Buddy had a dozen readons in mind as to why he wouldn't pick MArty, you've proven my point.

I disagree.

Nix could have been the strongest MS supporter in San Diego at the time ANDstill have had better reasons to hire Gailey as his coach.

Nix could have been the strongest MS detractor in San Diego at the time and still have had better reasons to hire Gailey as his coach.

Nix and MS could be closeted gay lovers and Nix STILL could have had better reasons to hire Gailey as his coach.

Is it hard to understand that Nix's reasons to hire Gailey don't equate to his reasons NOT to hire Schottenheimer?

GO BILLS!!!