Talked with Charlie Weis Yesterday

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one may argue that george edwards defense that day, while allowing a ton of rushing yards, was pretty successful in allowing 10 points in regulation.

id venture fitz having about 4 yards an attempt and 50% completions probably was the real culprit.

I think that Bills fans would have been happier if we had put 8 in the box so that we could get torched deep on play action passes. If we would have brought more guys into the box I have zero faith that our lack of talent would have stopped the run anyway. Unfortunately I have complete faith that our secondary would have been torched and put the game out of reach by giving up big passing plays. As much as I am not a fan of Edwards, the notion that scheme can overcome the POS that we have on the field is rediculous.

While at the University of Florida yesterday I had an opportunity to sit down and listen to Weis talk about the Bills/Cheifs game last year and J. Charles/ Thomas Jones (274 combined rushing yards vs. Bills)

He showed a bunch of cut-ups from the game and said he ran one running play all game because of the bills not adjusting numbers wise on defense. This one play was a stretch play that was set up as Reciever Left/T.E. left. Slot and other reciever to the right. Single back. He said they ran this one play 95% of the time because the Bills would not bring the numbers (until OT) in the box to stop the run. He simply said they would flip sides and run it again to the strong side, because the bills just would not match numbers throughout the entire game. What does this say about George Edwards last year?

Charlie Weis also said he really respects the Bills and the environment that they play in. He said no doubt the toughest place to play in the NFL. Period.

Also, Bill Belichick was at the Gators private practice yesterday, he's a tiny dude.

Just posting a non-related Draft/ Lockout thread.

Wow that is sad! Why is that we rotate from bad defense to good offense and vice versa? We need to get a good O and a good D at the same time. This why I wish Cower got hired because we would still have Chan running the O and cower would have brought in a competent D coordinator.

They didn't run the same run play 95% of the time.

It is called a figure of speech.....dude comes here and posts a slid story about a coaching seminar he went to some folks just can't resist being d-bags.

While at the University of Florida yesterday I had an opportunity to sit down and listen to Weis talk about the Bills/Cheifs game last year and J. Charles/ Thomas Jones (274 combined rushing yards vs. Bills)

He showed a bunch of cut-ups from the game and said he ran one running play all game because of the bills not adjusting numbers wise on defense. This one play was a stretch play that was set up as Reciever Left/T.E. left. Slot and other reciever to the right. Single back. He said they ran this one play 95% of the time because the Bills would not bring the numbers (until OT) in the box to stop the run. He simply said they would flip sides and run it again to the strong side, because the bills just would not match numbers throughout the entire game. What does this say about George Edwards last year?

Charlie Weis also said he really respects the Bills and the environment that they play in. He said no doubt the toughest place to play in the NFL. Period.

Also, Bill Belichick was at the Gators private practice yesterday, he's a tiny dude.

what it says is that Edwards doesn't trust his CBs against bowe enough to bring up a safety to help shift run assignments. thats what it says. bring in Peterson please...

It is called a figure of speech.....dude comes here and posts a slid story about a coaching seminar he went to some folks just can't resist being d-bags.

Just to clarify, I really do appreciate the OP's time and effort to post this...so "Thank you." It really is nice to see some solid stuff like this.

what it says is that Edwards doesn't trust his CBs against bowe enough to bring up a safety to help shift run assignments. thats what it says. bring in Peterson please...

What is says is if we hold these guys to 10 points we should win- thats true but the offense was MIA that game

There are holes in every D every scheme, 99% of coaches have to make the decision this play or that play is available to them but it's not going to win them the game. Again you hold a play off team to 10 points and take them to over time- can't blame Edwards here. Or you shouldn't

Edited by CardinalScotts

Great post and information.

Could it be that the Bills were giving them that play while taking away something else? I suspect that our lack of talent had a lot to do with not being able to stop the play just as much as the scheme. I bet that we did not adjust because we were taking another potential big play. Given we held them to 10 and took the game to OT, I would say that it was a good defensive effort for us overall.

Do you go to Lester's (Clayton Rd in Chesterfield) and watch the games with the St. Louis Bills Backers?

Edited by Bob in STL

This leaves me with an even worse impression of Edwards than I already had. I wasn't sure that was possible.

For all we know it was a strategic decision to concede rushing yards to the NFL's top rush offense while keeping big plays to a minimum and hold KC to field goals in the red zone. Sort of like opposing teams conceding 30pts to Jimmer Fredette, Who knows.

Can we at least wait until Edwards gets some players on the front 7 before we decide he's in over his head as a DC? Even the best coordinators in the NFL don't turn chickenshit into chicken salad. Dom Capers had one of the worst defenses in the league when he was with the Dolphins in 2007, same with Dick Lebeau in Cincinnati. It's funny how they become geniuses again once they have some playmakers to work with.

Doesn't this say something about the "qb of the defense" as well not making the right calls on the field? Just saying.

Yes it does but it also says that between our DC and mlb they just can't figure it out.

Dave W should help on defense this year. Nix has already mentioned that we need to bigger and stronger at mlb, I'm sure he meant smarter as well. Replacing Poz as one of our main mlb and adding some depth at mlb should take care of that. I expect the Bills to draft DE's and MLB's in the draft.

Edited by VADC Bills

Wow that is sad! Why is that we rotate from bad defense to good offense and vice versa? We need to get a good O and a good D at the same time. This why I wish Cower got hired because we would still have Chan running the O and cower would have brought in a competent D coordinator.

And unfortunately, the offense was putrid that day. I'll take a defense that allows 10 in regulation and 13 through 75 minutes any day of the week.

If your defense can hold them to 3 scoring drives - only one of which being a touchdown you should win.

Ps. The td drive had a nice 30+ yard pass in it, and the actual td cam through the air. The game winning drive had one 8yd run at the end with the ball inside the 25 already, otherwise all passes.

Nice offseason post and thanks for sharing. And some decent responses here of course. Weisses comment about running the same play and that we did not adjust for it sounds like someone throwing a coupla' stones at Buffalo Def. But as mentioned they were unable to put us away with that same run. Maybe chawlie could not find a chink and just kept chipping waiting for our adjustment so he could counter with the pass. I can not believe that we just missed the adjust at the line that many times by the captain. Seems like we were bend not break run def, waiting for our offense to make up the difference.

I have my doubts about George too. But i feel we need more play makers on his side of the ball. And not to sidetrack too much. Keep Poz because we need depth. This will be a telling year for us, as soon as we can get started with it!

And unfortunately, the offense was putrid that day. I'll take a defense that allows 10 in regulation and 13 through 75 minutes any day of the week.

If your defense can hold them to 3 scoring drives - only one of which being a touchdown you should win.

Ps. The td drive had a nice 30+ yard pass in it, and the actual td cam through the air. The game winning drive had one 8yd run at the end with the ball inside the 25 already, otherwise all passes.

Your common sense and logic have no place here, sir. I appeal to your honor as a gentleman to not bring that sort of thing here again.

For all we know it was a strategic decision to concede rushing yards to the NFL's top rush offense while keeping big plays to a minimum and hold KC to field goals in the red zone. Sort of like opposing teams conceding 30pts to Jimmer Fredette, Who knows.

Can we at least wait until Edwards gets some players on the front 7 before we decide he's in over his head as a DC? Even the best coordinators in the NFL don't turn chickenshit into chicken salad. Dom Capers had one of the worst defenses in the league when he was with the Dolphins in 2007, same with Dick Lebeau in Cincinnati. It's funny how they become geniuses again once they have some playmakers to work with.

So if we get some "players" on the front 7 and the D still stinks, is it because they really aren't "players" at all, or because the DC is in over his head? Granted the Bills seem to lack talent on D, but how many times have we seen former Bills players go to other teams and play well?

I'm willing to give Edwards some benefit of doubt, but if the Bills land some big time defensive players and the D still gets manhandled the way they did last year, it's George.

No, it says the Bills arent willing to commit 8 to the box. That means they need to be able to stop the run with 7.

Your logic is ssa sdrawkcab.

Edited by Thoner7

probably why wanny is now the assistent head coach. it wont happen with him on board,one thing he knows and thats defense old george is going to go to school this year.

They didn't run the same run play 95% of the time.

i wouldn't be surprised if they did,remember kelly saying they would only run 10 or 15 plays a game just run the same play out of different formations. its not surprising at all.

every coach worth his salt will tell you its not how many plays you can run its how many plays you can run well.

Great info. Edwards was pegged as the Gators DC last season, now the Florida OC is breaking down his D, funny how quickly things change.

Edwards is a 2 Deep man under guy (Cover 5), he doesn't like bringing the safety down. Not sure what this says about him or our corners (is he not comfortable with leaving them on island).

If you go back and watch the Vikings game, we stuffed Peterson for a good quarter and a half. Stacked the box with 8 and did a good job containing him. Then Rice started abusing McKelvin, they dropped a safety over the top, and Peterson started to churn yards.

Edited by bouds