"Barefoot Contessa" has no heart?

Buftex

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the other end of the spectrum....

WWE Superstar John Cena Grants Milestone 200th Wish with Make-A-Wish Foundation®

Cena reached the 200th wish milestone in just six years, joining NASCAR drivers Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. and former WWE Superstar Hulk Hogan as celebrity wish granters who have fulfilled 200 wishes. Overall, World Wrestling Entertainment has granted more than 3,500 wishes with the Make-A-Wish Foundation in the past 25 years.

200 wishes in 6 years works out to about 1 wish every 11 days.

And those wrestlers work 340 days out of the year. Anyone taking her side in this argument should be ashamed of them selves. She denied this kid a few hours of her time TWICE, and her publicist gives us that drivel as a response. How much more story do you all really need? I love cooking and enjoy her program, but I am through with it now.

And those wrestlers work 340 days out of the year. Anyone taking her side in this argument should be ashamed of them selves. She denied this kid a few hours of her time TWICE, and her publicist gives us that drivel as a response. How much more story do you all really need? I love cooking and enjoy her program, but I am through with it now.

Yeah...because the kid's entitled to have his demands met.

i for one, am giving up eating entirely as a result of this.

jw

Yeah...because the kid's entitled to have his demands met.

No, he's not entitled to anything. But Garten is also not entitled to escape public scorn and ridicule, and possible financial repercussions.

And really, what would it have "cost" her? She easily could have made a show out of it.

For all of you coming down hard on her. Unless you have given money here and to every charity that has come across your desk I suggest you STFU!

I donate to a few charities I hold near and dear. St Judes being a major one. Does that give me the right to blast her? Nope. It is not the fact that she is a chef, she could have been an athlete (with a terrible 40) a singer, or actress. It doesn't change the fact that she shot this kids wish down twice because she had to promote her book. I am guessing she isn't hurting for dough since she lives in the fkn Hampton's and cooks for her effeminate husband. I am blasting her for being a POS human being and now doing an unbelievable back pedal to save her ass.

and DC Tom, in my opinion the kid is entitled. Hes not some spoiled rich kid looking to meet someone. He was given a wish to make under his unfortunate health circumstances. What was he supposed to ask for a slice of pizza? His request was realistic and pretty amazing if you ask me. Most kids would want to meet some half hearted athlete or celeb. This kid watched her everyday when he was recovering and maybe seeing her brought a good feeling to him that he wanted to replicate.

I donate to a few charities I hold near and dear. St Judes being a major one. Does that give me the right to blast her? Nope. It is not the fact that she is a chef, she could have been an athlete (with a terrible 40) a singer, or actress. It doesn't change the fact that she shot this kids wish down twice because she had to promote her book. I am guessing she isn't hurting for dough since she lives in the fkn Hampton's and cooks for her effeminate husband. I am blasting her for being a POS human being and now doing an unbelievable back pedal to save her ass.

and DC Tom, in my opinion the kid is entitled. Hes not some spoiled rich kid looking to meet someone. He was given a wish to make under his unfortunate health circumstances. What was he supposed to ask for a slice of pizza? His request was realistic and pretty amazing if you ask me. Most kids would want to meet some half hearted athlete or celeb. This kid watched her everyday when he was recovering and maybe seeing her brought a good feeling to him that he wanted to replicate.

Ive been on the fence about this, understanding both sides, trying not to hate her too quickly based on a snap judgment and that she "is fat"...

But you're right. I gotta agree, it was a ****ty thing to do from the beginning. Especially after seeing the number of wishes other celebrities have granted.

Im still not going to "hate" on her, because I frankly couldnt care less about her, but it was definitely a huge mistake on her part.

The kid is entitled? You're !@#$ing kidding me. Because she's someone you've heard of before she is required to grant his wish? I'm sending over my autistic nephew to spend a day with you because he's entitled and I've heard of you before on this board. Give me a !@#$ing break.

The kid is entitled? You're !@#$ing kidding me. Because she's someone you've heard of before she is required to grant his wish? I'm sending over my autistic nephew to spend a day with you because he's entitled and I've heard of you before on this board. Give me a !@#$ing break.

I believe he is entitled. Please, I have seen adults with such a sense of entitlement an over inflated sense of self importance in this world that it makes me sick. The kids wish that was given to him from the MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION, its not like his mommy said to make a wish and we will grant it. It is a whole organization that has done this for years.

I would be honored if a sick kids wish was to meet a nobody like myself. That is where a lot of us differ in life. I am guessing she isn't flooded with requests other than a 100k a plate dinner to save every ones mercedes parking in the Hamptons.

I believe he is entitled. Please, I have seen adults with such a sense of entitlement an over inflated sense of self importance in this world that it makes me sick. The kids wish that was given to him from the MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION, its not like his mommy said to make a wish and we will grant it. It is a whole organization that has done this for years.

I would be honored if a sick kids wish was to meet a nobody like myself. That is where a lot of us differ in life. I am guessing she isn't flooded with requests other than a 100k a plate dinner to save every ones mercedes parking in the Hamptons.

Because it came from Make a Wish she is required to oblige? Seriously??

I had melanoma - Class 2. Did it give me the entitlement to request 50 yard line seats for a Super Bowl? Round of golf with Phil? No!! What it makes me "entitled" to do is get out there and support research efforts to find a reason and a cure. Kid isn't entitled to anything. Through MAW kid is able to make a request.

I had melanoma - Class 2. Did it give me the entitlement to request 50 yard line seats for a Super Bowl? Round of golf with Phil? No!! What it makes me "entitled" to do is get out there and support research efforts to find a reason and a cure. Kid isn't entitled to anything. Through MAW kid is able to make a request.

I am sorry for your plight Bud and am happy you recovered. But this is a child with a rare un curable disease. Not to make light of your or any one elses situation.

And 50 yard line seats to the SB compared to meeting a 2nd rate tv personality. Cmon guys....

I am sorry for your plight Bud and am happy you recovered. But this is a child with a rare un curable disease. Not to make light of your or any one elses situation.

And 50 yard line seats to the SB compared to meeting a 2nd rate tv personality. Cmon guys....

Please explain why she is required to grant that wish.

I think we have learned the following from this little episode:

1) If you don't get what you want, guilt people into giving it to you.

2) Celebrities can sometimes be a**holes.

I deal with players, coaches, owners and administrators throughout the NFL, beit at the team level or in the NFL offices, NFL Films or the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The a**hole quotient is pretty high. You will also have people that are wonderful to work with and are generous with their time. In life, you learn that you do not always get what you want, regardless of your situation. At no point does your situation trump anything else.

I think we have learned the following from this little episode:

1) If you don't get what you want, guilt people into giving it to you.

2) Celebrities can sometimes be a**holes.

I deal with players, coaches, owners and administrators throughout the NFL, beit at the team level or in the NFL offices, NFL Films or the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The a**hole quotient is pretty high. You will also have people that are wonderful to work with and are generous with their time. In life, you learn that you do not always get what you want, regardless of your situation. At no point does your situation trump anything else.

I agree with that big time. I was at a golf event recently and a guy that has won a couple of majors and plays on the tour part time was a total butthead and the guy that is playing his guts out on the tour couldn't have been nicer.

I agree with that big time. I was at a golf event recently and a guy that has won a couple of majors and plays on the tour part time was a total butthead and the guy that is playing his guts out on the tour couldn't have been nicer.

Another thing is sometimes people start off as a**holes, but will warm up to you. For example, I was talking with a former player recently (I won't give names). He was a complete a**. After talking with him a little, he started to warm up. Now, we are good friends. Some celebrities are naturally guarded because there are a ton of people who want to take advantage of them, or more correctly, want to take advantage of their celebrity. Not saying that the kid was trying to do that here, but some celebrities will just have a general rule not to do anything.

Since there are a lot of celebrities that are willing to give of their time, focus your time with them and not on the ones that do not. I follow the same philosophy when interviewing football people. There are plenty of people who are willing to speak with me. I do not waste too much time with those who choose not to speak to me. I just move on.

I hurt my back and knee this week. I want those people to come re-sod my lawn, since I can't. I'm entitled.

No, no, no Tom. Only terminal six year olds are entitled.

I find it hard to believe that even the likes of you and Tom cant see the difference between some rickety curmudgeon with arthritis, and a dying 6 year old. And why people might think its the right thing to do to sacrifice a bit just to give that kid some happiness.

I find it hard to believe that even the likes of you and Tom cant see the difference between some rickety curmudgeon with arthritis, and a dying 6 year old. And why people might think its the right thing to do to sacrifice a bit just to give that kid some happiness.

Are these rules written down somewhere?

here's the problem, the way i see it with a couple of what ifs?

-- what if you had 12 requests like this a year, and you were able to meet 11 of them, does that make you a bad person, or are you obligated to hit all 12?

-- when does this "entitlement" end? cancer, strep thoat, lyme disease? and does it make a difference that the person is 6? what if this were a 42 year old?

-- how/why did this story get out, to embarrass this celebrity? is it also a shot across the bow to all personalities that if people don't get their wish, the celebrities shall pay the price?

-- how much does the contessa contribute to charitable causes? if the answer is dunno, then it's hard to judge. if none, ok, there's a bit of a moral problem. if a lot, and she doesn't publicize it, then why must she be shamed like this. still, we don't know.

judge however you like. i don't know enough of what the circumstances are to make that decision.

jw

I think the problem now is the word entitled.

in your heart, Tom. in your heart...

I thought I was heartless...?

Only rule I have that's applicable to this discussion is: asbsolutely no solicited charity. Ever. Period. I've turned down three different charities today that cold-called me (which makes seven for the week, and it's only Thursday). Does that make me heartless?

-- what if you had 12 requests like this a year, and you were able to meet 11 of them, does that make you a bad person, or are you obligated to hit all 12?

-- when does this "entitlement" end? cancer, strep thoat, lyme disease? and does it make a difference that the person is 6? what if this were a 42 year old?

-- how/why did this story get out, to embarrass this celebrity? is it also a shot across the bow to all personalities that if people don't get their wish, the celebrities shall pay the price?

-- how much does the contessa contribute to charitable causes? if the answer is dunno, then it's hard to judge. if none, ok, there's a bit of a moral problem. if a lot, and she doesn't publicize it, then why must she be shamed like this. still, we don't know.

judge however you like. i don't know enough of what the circumstances are to make that decision.

jw

You and your practicality. Jeeeeze.

jw

I probably know even less than you, but I think what happened was that the kid's parents have a blog, they posted about this happening, and then TMZ picked it up........It went all over the net. The parents said enough! Make A Wish was really mad this got out. They don't want to embarrass anybody........And, I really don't know the rest of the story. I would like to know the things you are wondering.

Oh, and I'd also like to know who the frig Barefoot Contessa is.

and does it make a difference that the person is 6? what if this were a 42 year old?

If a 42 year old wanted to meet the Barefoot Contessa as their wish, I would think she was even MORE heartless since it's clear that guy would have cancer of both eyes.

If a 42 year old wanted to meet the Barefoot Contessa as their wish, I would think she was even MORE heartless since it's clear that guy would have cancer of both eyes.

I know you're just busting them but people don't get together cook with a chef based on looks. I'm a prime example of that. :D