Fan Sues Browns & NFL (PSL holder)

papazoid

On the face, this argument sounds a bit absurd. However, if the employee/players are partners with the owner/bosses, then we fans could arguably be "partners" too. This guy put up good money for a product he isn't going to get. Sounds an awful lot like breach of cntract to this layman.

The truly interesting questions will come if the judge decides the guy has a case. What are his damages, how do you quantify them, and who caused them. Sucks to be this poor judge in Cleveland.

At this point the guy has absolutely no case - no games have yet been cancelled so he can't prove any injury as the basis for damages. By the time one would reasonably expect that games would have to be provided this issue could be resolved. I'd think that if suits like this ever got any sort of traction the league would field some sort of professional football games - they're not obligated to necessarily field great teams, just to provide professional football for fans with PSLs.....

A Browns fan sues his team because he is being denied the opportunity to wathc that sh***y team? That's rich.

As Avenger says, this guy hasn't missed a crappy Browns game yet. Also, the lockout is already being challenged in Federal court. In 2 weeks, the ruling by that court will make this maroon's case moot.

This is the guy:

But he became known, partly for his thick white hair that contrasted with the orange glow he gained from his personal tanning bed.

He's a rich guy starving for attention.

Edited by Mr. WEO

All I want to know is who the hell is stupid enough to buy a PSL.... that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my life, and yet their are morons doing it. You buy a license just to have the rights to buy season tickets.... What a scam

All I want to know is who the hell is stupid enough to buy a PSL.... that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my life, and yet their are morons doing it. You buy a license just to have the rights to buy season tickets.... What a scam

Unfortunately, many teams do it and if you want to buy season tickets, you have to. I think it is horrible but it is out there.

This guy makes a a good point. While I think PSL's for seats that you still have to pay for is ridiculous anyway, if part of the season should not take place, all PSL holders are getting ripped off (even more). Having said that there aren't going to be a lot of "damages" from this, and there have been none to this point as others have suggested.

At least the guy is suing for a reasonable amount,$25K, unlike that guy who sued over his dry cleaning for 52 mil or something like that.

Bottom line is this person is a millionaire, and I doubt he is doing this for the money...Probably just to make a point, play the f'ing game.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

At this point the guy has absolutely no case - no games have yet been cancelled so he can't prove any injury as the basis for damages. By the time one would reasonably expect that games would have to be provided this issue could be resolved. I'd think that if suits like this ever got any sort of traction the league would field some sort of professional football games - they're not obligated to necessarily field great teams, just to provide professional football for fans with PSLs.....

Yeah the guy hasn't had damages yet, but I think he is getting his suit out there for the sake of visibility. For the NFL & players. And how about the 100 of thousand PSL holders who could pile on with their suits. Maybe a class action type.

I also don't think "any" football gets the NFL off the hook. You go to a restaurant and order & pay for filet mignon, and they serve you a PBJ sandwich, they can't say "well its food". Alright, bad analogy and I like PBJ, had it for lunch today :thumbsup:

This guy makes a a good point. While I think PSL's for seats that you still have to pay for is ridiculous anyway, if part of the season should not take place, all PSL holders are getting ripped off (even more). Having said that there aren't going to be a lot of "damages" from this, and there have been none to this point as others have suggested.

At least the guy is suing for a reasonable amount,$25K, unlike that guy who sued over his dry cleaning for 52 mil or something like that.

Bottom line is this person is a millionaire, and I doubt he is doing this for the money...Probably just to make a point, play the f'ing game.

PSL holders are not getting ripped off just because they hold a PSL--they gladly bought those PSL's. The PSL doesn't get them through the turnstile. It's not paid annually--it's a one time fee that allows them to buy season tickets. They are free to sell this PSL to anyone they want for any price they can get and then they are free to purchase tickets to any game they like on a per game basis. He wants $75,000. If he is reimbursed for gmaes not played then he hasn't lost a penny--and deserves no extra compensation.

Yeah the guy hasn't had damages yet, but I think he is getting his suit out there for the sake of visibility. For the NFL & players. And how about the 100 of thousand PSL holders who could pile on with their suits. Maybe a class action type.

I also don't think "any" football gets the NFL off the hook. You go to a restaurant and order & pay for filet mignon, and they serve you a PBJ sandwich, they can't say "well its food". Alright, bad analogy and I like PBJ, had it for lunch today :thumbsup:

Visibility? That's a novel suggestion. There hasn't been enough visiblilty on this yet?

He has no more standing than any season ticket holder who didn't have to buy PSLs. The PSL really isn't an issue.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Did you know that Bills club seat holders pay a license fee? For 2011 it's $1,800 per seat per year, plus the cost of the tickets ($67 per game).

My guess is the license fees were created to skirt revenue sharing. Presumably, license fees don't have to be shared with other teams as normal ticket revenue does.

Bottom line, it's all supply and demand.

With the NFL and the NFLPA* knee deep in a pit of barristers, a PSL holder in Cleveland has opted to sue the Browns and the other 31 teams for threatening to renege on his right to watch pro football from his rented seat space:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/25/fan-sues-browns-league-over-lockout/

hilarious if he wins....

go Ken :thumbsup:

During the last players strike, the owners fielded teams consisting primarily of non-union players and no one got a refund for the PBJ's.

:censored: