Decadent decay in Detroit

Detroit must of been a beautiful city in it's day. You said it well- it is sad, tragic, and beautiful. I love architecture and checking out old buildings. On city data forums there is a most ghetto visually photo discussion. Detroit has plenty more photos there

I guess you figured out that I meant "Decadent decay in Detroit", not even sure what "devay" would mean.. :oops:

Detroit is such a cool city, too. It is in a great location and has a lot of treasures. The Ford Museum is very cool, the downtown River Front is hit or miss, going over to Canada is always fun (drinking age 19), and all in all, it's just a nice place but a sheethole city.

Years of bad politics, blunders in industry and stupidity gave us what Detroit is and I cannot think of another American city that has risen and fallen as much as Detroit.

Also, it is depressing seeing some pictures on the city-data forum that look like nicer parts of town here.

Edited by jboyst62

Monument to unions. Government over regulation. The EPA. Over taxation. Detroit must be heaven to the Pacific rim, Mexico, South America or whomever who is doing all the work now. Nice job f..tards.

On a side note. Some great sets there for post apocalyptic sci-fi or horror movies.

Also, some of these pics remind me of the Chernobyl ones.

Monument to unions. Government over regulation. The EPA. Over taxation. Detroit must be heaven to the Pacific rim, Mexico, South America or whomever who is doing all the work now. Nice job fuktards

Yup. But I bet you won't find much of that kind of talk in any of the books about the "good old days" in Motown.

Wow...these pictures are just amazing...almost like "Beneath The Planet of the Apes", excpet its' Detroint and not NYC...and there are no apes! Just kind sad and tragic...but kind of beautiful at the same time...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/23/detroit-decline_n_813696.html#218521

But when Auntie finally gets control of Master-Blaster, things'll start looking up.

Monument to unions. Government over regulation. The EPA. Over taxation. Detroit must be heaven to the Pacific rim, Mexico, South America or whomever who is doing all the work now. Nice job fuktards.

Won't disagree with your observations, but how much of that contributed to the decay versus investor-America clammering for more profits and increased stock value?

Monument to unions. Government over regulation. The EPA. Over taxation. Detroit must be heaven to the Pacific rim, Mexico, South America or whomever who is doing all the work now. Nice job fuktards.

On a side note. Some great sets there for post apocalyptic sci-fi or horror movies.

monument to outsourcing, corporate greed and inefficiency, piss poor labor relations, and general ineptitude from CEO's.

I do agree Detroit would make a great location to shoot a post apocalyptic film.

monument to outsourcing, corporate greed and inefficiency, piss poor labor relations, and general ineptitude from CEO's.

Just curious, is the bolded phrase supposed to mean anything other than "let the union extortion artists take anything they want"?

p.s. love the "CEO ruined a perfectly good business" viewpoint.

Just curious, is the bolded phrase supposed to mean anything other than "let the union extortion artists take anything they want"?

p.s. love the "CEO ruined a perfectly good business" viewpoint.

send all our manufacturing jobs to Mexico. That will teach those unions

And while we are discussing urban decay- Charlotte Street in 1980's Bronx is as post apocalyptic as it gets. It is hard to imagine Somalia or Afghanistan or Dresden/Tokyo after the firebombings looking worse

The one things we need to respect Detroit for is their public train system. The People Mover is amazing. It was built to help people get downtown and help free up the roads. Now, the only thing the People Mover moves is people out of town. Irony?

All hail the Monorail.

this isn't new...i lived in ann arbor over 20 years ago and we only ventured into detroit when absolutely necessary. when i took my board exams at joe louis convention center, our hotel room (a respectable chain, may have even been a hilton) had jimmy marks along the lock and blood stains on the hall carpet. the few tigers games i went to were marred by extortion for car protection from the "neighbors" when you parked. it always was disheartening to come back from canada on the ambassador bridge and see the stark contrast with windsor or anywhere in canada, for that matter. i don't believe anywhere in canada has urban blight like detroit did even then. i'm not sure what conclusion to draw from this but it doesn't reflect well on the whole usa.

send all our manufacturing jobs to Mexico. That will teach those unions

Any particular reason you replied with a nonsensical sound-bite instead of answering the question? What were the "labor relations" that were lacking, and who do you think is responsible for that?

Also, any reason you can't or won't acknowledge that a major reason manufacturing jobs went to Mexico is because union greed was running rampant? Do you also think unions aren't creating any of the problems with our state budgets?

I do agree Detroit would make a great location to shoot a post apocalyptic film.

Picture #20 looks like the iconic photo used the "Walking Dead", minus the horse...pic #13 is Dahli...

Any particular reason you replied with a nonsensical sound-bite instead of answering the question? What were the "labor relations" that were lacking, and who do you think is responsible for that?

Also, any reason you can't or won't acknowledge that a major reason manufacturing jobs went to Mexico is because union greed was running rampant? Do you also think unions aren't creating any of the problems with our state budgets?

well I thought it was an adequate reply to a lead in question. Sure the UAW was far from perfect. But there should be a balance between labor and management and it is rarely fair. In CT we are at will employees, which means we basically have zero rights whatsoever. I excelled at a job for 23 years, and got fired for no reason. I sure wish I had union standing behind me. Believe me I have heard all sorts of stories about some union slackers. But no system is perfect and there should be that balance.

As far as Mexico- I put that on CEO's greed and inadequacy, and NAFTA. Roger Smith has been named one of the worst CEO's in history. In part because his awful relations with unions. Despite attempting to cut costs moving to Mexico, GM has lost their profits, and is most definitely a major contributor to the slow death of Detroit. Is this a case of biting your nose off to spite your face?

have a lovely stroll through Detroit

well I thought it was an adequate reply to a lead in question. Sure the UAW was far from perfect. But there should be a balance between labor and management and it is rarely fair. In CT we are at will employees, which means we basically have zero rights whatsoever. I excelled at a job for 23 years, and got fired for no reason. I sure wish I had union standing behind me. Believe me I have heard all sorts of stories about some union slackers. But no system is perfect and there should be that balance.

As far as Mexico- I put that on CEO's greed and inadequacy, and NAFTA. Roger Smith has been named one of the worst CEO's in history. In part because his awful relations with unions. Despite attempting to cut costs moving to Mexico, GM has lost their profits, and is most definitely a major contributor to the slow death of Detroit. Is this a case of biting your nose off to spite your face?

have a lovely stroll through Detroit

Much the same going on here in Texas. The state is 26 billion in the hole, so state workers are getting laid off/fired left and right. At my old state job, 8 people, all with lots of time put on, all on the wrong side of 40, have been fired...since Janauary. And the employer is fighting all unemployment claims. Most were the victims of trumped up charges for the most part. They dug hard into obscure codes, so they could site people for the most minor of things.

Edited by Buftex

monument to outsourcing But why? See my post. For all those reasons

corporate greed and inefficiency Of course corporations are greedy. They want to make as much money as they can. Would you expect any different from any other business? Would you expect any less from yourself? Inefficiency? I suppose some are. Not every company is well run.

piss poor labor relations I guess not caving in to every demand like the government does to public service equals poor relations. I'm sure there are bad companies in this regard though. But i'm willing to be there are many more that have great relations. No one every mentions them do they. I have a friend that works at Chevron that has in house workout rooms. Supplied day care for those with kids. No charge.

and general ineptitude from CEO's. Some I guess

I'll never bash someone's hometown. Detroit is a city filled with pride. Eminem and Kid Rock can live anywhere in the world yet they chose to learn there. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

When bashing Detroit, I usually start with Kid Rock and Eminem.

Jeez...you are such an arrogant prick, I hope nothing bad ever happens to you, that is out of your control. Your lack of ego won't be able to handle it... :censored:

At least I'm not a Victicrat.

I only worry about the things I can control.

Oh and BTW thanks for saying you hope nothing bad happens to me. Most here that feel the way about me that you do say they hope something bad happens to me. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chef Jim

Monument to unions. Government over regulation. The EPA. Over taxation. Detroit must be heaven to the Pacific rim, Mexico, South America or whomever who is doing all the work now. Nice job f..tards.

In the end you will thank the EPA. I know I cringed saying that... But it is true. We will see how the Great Lakes region beocmes heaven to the Pacific rim. We will just have to wait unitl the other places don't have any heathy environment left... Sure DET is aesthetically not pleasing... But that is where it stops when compared to the other hell holes on earth "that are doing all the work."

Pay me now or pay me later... I would rather pay now.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

At least I'm not a Victicrat.

I only worry about the things I can control.

Oh and BTW thanks for saying you hope nothing bad happens to me. Most here that feel the way about me that you do say they hope something bad happens to me. :thumbsup:

You may not be a victicrat...but why do you assume everyone else is?

I wouldn't wish the worst for you, or anyone...that isn't my domain. There are plenty here to carry that slack...

Edited by Buftex

Won't disagree with your observations, but how much of that contributed to the decay versus investor-America clammering for more profits and increased stock value?

Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding!

Institutional investors, e.g., union pension funds, insurance companies, mutual fund managers and the likes of Warren Buffett, drove a relentless push for ever-improving ROI from every corporation they invested in. The Greatest Generation were the largest shareowners in those investment vehicles, and in a sense, they ended up eating their own young.

Because as usual you're acting like a Victicrat.

And, as usuual, you are acting like...nevermind...go back to being the most interesting man in the world...

Glad to see you are expanding your vocabulary, by the way....you honestly, as usual, don't have any idea what you are talking about, or any of the circumstances that I was referring to. But, as usual, you always have some smug, superior than any/everyone comment...!@#$s aren't as easy to spot as Victicrats, I guess, just being bludgeoned by their drivel day after day, you start to recognize them. :thumbsup:

Edited by Buftex

And, as usuual, you are acting like...nevermind...go back to being the most interesting man in the world...

Glad to see you are expanding your vocabulary, by the way....you honestly, as usual, don't have any idea what you are talking about, or any of the circumstances that I was referring to. But, as usual, you always have some smug, superior than any/everyone comment...!@#$s aren't as easy to spot as Victicrats, I guess, just being bludgeoned by their drivel day after day, you start to recognize them. :thumbsup:

Most were the victims of trumped up charges for the most part. They dug hard into obscure codes, so they could site people for the most minor of things.

Sure I don't know the circumstances but for god sake man you used the word victim right in your post. How could letting someone go for code violations be trumped up charges? Obscure or not they're codes. You do know what the term trumped up means don't you?

Seems like there is a lot of "blame" going on here in posts as to what did Detroit in. Simply, it is now a global economy we all live in. And that will over the long time erode the standard of living in the US. EVERYTHING can be done cheaper somewhere else. Manufacturing was just the first to go.

Someone posted about how Buffalo looks. OK here is a site with a Buffalo thread 53 pages long, but some great pictures. See how many you recognize

SS City

The thread below is how I found this site. I think it's awesome

Concrete Central

Sure I don't know the circumstances but for god sake man you used the word victim right in your post. How could letting someone go for code violations be trumped up charges? Obscure or not they're codes. You do know what the term trumped up means don't you?

First, let me apologize for getting pissed, for some reason, you are the only poster here who consistantly gets under my skin. I am not proud of it.

What the term "trumped up" means, is a bit open for interpritation, so I am sure you will take the opposite view of whatever mine is, as you are a bit of a contrarian. But let me throw one at you, just for fun:

There was an employee,female, age 51, working for 12 years as a cashier. In the 8 years that I worked with this person, they never once had a cash shortage. One day, this person turns in her money to be deposited to her supervisor. She turns in a slip that says she should have $875, but she only has $870 in cash. After re-checking the original cash drawer that she used, it is discovered that she left $105 in her til, rather than the $100 it is supposed to have. So, in effect, $5 (we are talking about five friggin' dollars)was not missing, but left in the wrong place. The error was figured out in all of about five minutes. Next day, that employee receives a reprimand, where a code is sighted, about "mishandling" cash. Now, I would bet, this is not the first time that such an error was made...and the money wasn't even missing.

A few weeks later, the same person (dealing in a large volume, very hectic pharmacy) somehow manages to lose a credit card slip. It is likely the customer took it, by mistake, or, it was thrown out. Again, hardly the first time anything like this has ever happened. It is an easy fix. The money was captured, the customers electronic signature, associated with the transaction, is captured. All you need to do is look up the transaction, and reprint the receipt. Sure it is inconvenient, a fair amount of what is done in a medical work place is checking, and correcting errors. As far as that goes, this was a pretty minor one. But again, this cashier was given a reprimand, citing this code. She was fired, reason given: mishandling of cash. Keep in mind, not one penny was unaccounted for. Nothing was missing, other than a credit card slip, which was reprinted.

The employers, in my estimation (and I am sure you will disagree) had targeted a handful of people who didn't fit in the bigger scheme of things (with their budget concerns and all) just waiting for them to make any mistake, and then pouring over the codes to find some violation to cite, so they could fire them, and not have to give them any severance. The grounds for dismisal disqualified this person from receiving any unemployment benefits. It is complete bs. I worked there for 8 years, in management, and I am very aware of how they operate. I could tell stories about some of the management there, that would not make them look good in anyone's eyes. I saw this stuff coming, and chose to leave the job, rather than be part of it. And, I am fairly certain, had I stayed, I would have been one of the people left out of work, either by the dubious methods illustrated above, or, a legit lay-off.

Now, maybe I am just some bleeding heart, kitty, liberal, as I am sure you are thinking...and a Victicrat since you like the word so much...but this situation was just so despicably handled. The employees all knew that budget cuts were coming, and that some positions would be eliminated...they were prepared for that. They were told, should there job be eliminated, they would get 3 months severence. None were prepared to all of the sudden be cast as villans and kicked in the ass on their way out the door. Contrary to popular opinion here, not all state workers are useless slobs.

But now, this person has not found a job, has little savings, and has been denied unemployment, becaue she was let go for "suspicious activity". So, after 12 years, this person, who was so reliable, so proud to be employed where she was, appreciated by customers and her immediate co-workers, can't even get a good reference from her employer. And I really don't think that losing a credit card slip, or miscounting a stack of $5 bills really had anything to do with why she isn't there anymore. They want younger, faster, more computer literate employees, so they will make that happen any way they can. To me this whole situation was trumped up...and the word victim, in this instance, was more than appropriate.

Edited by Buftex

First, let me apologize for getting pissed, for some reason, you are the only poster here who consistantly gets under my skin. I am not proud of it.

What the term "trumped up" means, is a bit open for interpritation, so I am sure you will take the opposite view of whatever mine is, as you are a bit of a contrarian. But let me throw one at you, just for fun:

There was an employee,female, age 51, working for 12 years as a cashier. In the 8 years that I worked with this person, they never once had a cash shortage. One day, this person turns in her money to be deposited to her supervisor. She turns in a slip that says she should have $875, but she only has $870 in cash. After re-checking the original cash drawer that she used, it is discovered that she left $105 in her til, rather than the $100 it is supposed to have. So, in effect, $5 (we are talking about five friggin' dollars)was not missing, but left in the wrong place. The error was figured out in all of about five minutes. Next day, that employee receives a reprimand, where a code is sighted, about "mishandling" cash. Now, I would bet, this is not the first time that such an error was made...and the money wasn't even missing.

A few weeks later, the same person (dealing in a large volume, very hectic pharmacy) somehow manages to lose a credit card slip. It is likely the customer took it, by mistake, or, it was thrown out. Again, hardly the first time anything like this has ever happened. It is an easy fix. The money was captured, the customers electronic signature, associated with the transaction, is captured. All you need to do is look up the transaction, and reprint the receipt. Sure it is inconvenient, a fair amount of what is done in a medical work place is checking, and correcting errors. As far as that goes, this was a pretty minor one. But again, this cashier was given a reprimand, citing this code. She was fired, reason given: mishandling of cash. Keep in mind, not one penny was unaccounted for. Nothing was missing, other than a credit card slip, which was reprinted.

The employers, in my estimation (and I am sure you will disagree) had targeted a handful of people who didn't fit in the bigger scheme of things (with their budget concerns and all) just waiting for them to make any mistake, and then pouring over the codes to find some violation to cite, so they could fire them, and not have to give them any severance. The grounds for dismisal disqualified this person from receiving any unemployment benefits. It is complete bs. I worked there for 8 years, in management, and I am very aware of how they operate. I could tell stories about some of the management there, that would not make them look good in anyone's eyes. I saw this stuff coming, and chose to leave the job, rather than be part of it. And, I am fairly certain, had I stayed, I would have been one of the people left out of work, either by the dubious methods illustrated above, or, a legit lay-off.

Now, maybe I am just some bleeding heart, kitty, liberal, as I am sure you are thinking...and a Victicrat since you like the word so much...but this situation was just so despicably handled. The employees all knew that budget cuts were coming, and that some positions would be eliminated...they were prepared for that. They were told, should there job be eliminated, they would get 3 months severence. None were prepared to all of the sudden be cast as villans and kicked in the ass on their way out the door. Contrary to popular opinion here, not all state workers are useless slobs.

But now, this person has not found a job, has little savings, and has been denied unemployment, becaue she was let go for "suspicious activity". So, after 12 years, this person, who was so reliable, so proud to be employed where she was, appreciated by customers and her immediate co-workers, can't even get a good reference from her employer. And I really don't think that losing a credit card slip, or miscounting a stack of $5 bills really had anything to do with why she isn't there anymore. They want younger, faster, more computer literate employees, so they will make that happen any way they can. To me this whole situation was trumped up...and the word victim, in this instance, was more than appropriate.

See a Victicrat spends all that time typing that sob story (BTW have you seen her employee file? I don't know maybe you have). Someone like me says, well that sucks, but it was a hell of a ride I'm glad I don't work for those a-holes anymore. See the difference? I've lost several jobs over the years (never fired just laid off) and I always left thinking "excellent, the next job is going to be even better I know it!" I don't know, I'm just postive that way.

See a Victicrat spends all that time typing that sob story (BTW have you seen her employee file? I don't know maybe you have). Someone like me says, well that sucks, but it was a hell of a ride I'm glad I don't work for those a-holes anymore. See the difference? I've lost several jobs over the years (never fired just laid off) and I always left thinking "excellent, the next job is going to be even better I know it!" I don't know, I'm just postive that way.

And an arrogant priok spends just enough time, saying little, but just enough to flex his superiority over most everyone...and make himself feel all great in the process...

Man you never fail...

Yes, I am very familiar with her employee file. I maintened it for 8 years, as her boss. I read the reprimands that she received from her current boss. I may be subpoenaed at a hearing, on her behalf.

There is a difference between being laid off, and fired. A big one. The result is the same, but the difference is it would be very difficult to use her job of the last 12 years as a reference.

Don't you, or didn't you, at one time do hiring? Wouldn't it send a red flag to you, if someone can't use their most current boss as a reference? You are so busy turning every turd into sunshine and lollipops that you can't see the difference? It would be a much better world, I agree, if everyone had an ego the size of yours...

Oh well, no matter...

Edited by Buftex