Will you watch the CFL or UFL?

major

In light of the millionaires and billionaires being unable to come to agreement on how to split up over 8 billion dollars in revenues, I propose a boycott of NFL games for the upcoming season. Once the agreement is reached, don't buy any tickets, don't go to any games and don't watch the ones on TV. That is the only power we as fans have. Let both owners and players know that it is we the fans that are making them both rich, while we struggle to pay our own bills. I would be willing to sacrifice an entire season of football to send a powerful economic message to both groups. If they lose millions next year, both parties will think twice about ever putting us through this again. Thoughts?

The Irish peasants protesting against their English Lord, Lord Boycott. Apt posting five days before the feast day of the last great Saint. I am all for it.

I am also for an new football league with the following rules:

1. No nets at the goal posts. All balls in the stands are free for all.

2. No jersey can sell for more than $20.

3. Beer is sold till the end of the game and that includes overtime. Beer is cut off at the half for those under 18.

4. No ticket costs more than $15.

5. Beer - $1 for a Genny, $2 for a canadian beer and Budweiser is banned.

6. No one is allowed to attend who drinks lite beer.

7. Bleacher seat section for pot smokers.

8. Players can wear shirts outside of their pants and may or may not roll up their socks. I don't care what their headband says, it is football not a Prom.

9. No player can make more than $60,000 per year and all players must be able to read and write at the eighth grade level.

10. Permanent ban for anyone not acting like a professional when they score a TD, or make a sack or make a tackle or just do what they are being paid to do.

11. No canned speeches, no thanking the Lord. Contrary to popular belief the Lord does not give a crap about football nor those that play it.

12. If the players only play for the "love of the game and not the money" they will flock to this league, otherwise they are hypocrites just like the owners.

13. The team pays rent to the city when they use a stadium.

14. Using your helmut as a missile results in a permanent ban. Cold-cocking someone earns a pay raise.

15. Panties are optional for cheerleaders.

16. Banners are allowed without censorship.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His point was that he wants to buy his seasons due to losing his seat/seniority. It was written very clear.

I don't want to punish the players or the owners. They both have interests they are trying to protect. Don't tell me not to watch my favorite team because of a work stoppage that is 24hrs old either. This affects me in no way, shape, or form. Go Bills.

Listen brother, if you want to continue lining their pockets, I say go for it. Oh by the way, it does affect you. You just don't understand how it does and I'm tired of explaining it. Some people will agree with me and some won't. I really don't care either way. I'm suggesting we punish both parties for a work stoppage that could have been avoided and show them they need to appreciate the people who pay the bills and that's us.

Edited by xsoldier54

Listen brother, if you want to continue lining their pockets, I say go for it. Oh by the way, it does affect you. You just don't understand how it does and I'm tired of explaining it. Some people will agree with me and some won't. I really don't care either way. I'm suggesting we punish both parties for a work stoppage that could have been avoided and show them they need to appreciate the people who pay the bills and that's us.

Other then a delay in FA what is the effect you have felt?

Even if anyone could remotely execute this, do you doubt each side would blame the other?

What say you to the fact that my seasons are paid for, as are tv contracts, and I don't have any effect on ratings?

Come on Phil, think about this a little.

Even ignoring Toronto, you are talking about 10 days (including preseason) out of a 365 day year, or 2.74% of possible business days. You are trying to tell me businesses (and I am talking about businesses that decide peoples livelihoods, not someone allowing people to park on their lawns) need these extra 10 days or they will not "survive". You are being a tad over dramatic, don't you think?

I'm not saying anyone should boycott, not boycott, go to the games, or not go to the games. It's (for the most part) a free country. But this local businesses going under angle is a bit much.

I'm guessing on those ten days some of the local vendors make more than they do in an average month. Those are pretty huge bumps to an average business. Even local tourism numbers during game weekends. Big money.

Edited by NoSaint

In light of the millionaires and billionaires being unable to come to agreement on how to split up over 8 billion dollars in revenues, I propose a boycott of NFL games for the upcoming season. Once the agreement is reached, don't buy any tickets, don't go to any games and don't watch the ones on TV. That is the only power we as fans have. Let both owners and players know that it is we the fans that are making them both rich, while we struggle to pay our own bills. I would be willing to sacrifice an entire season of football to send a powerful economic message to both groups. If they lose millions next year, both parties will think twice about ever putting us through this again. Thoughts?

I actually agree, I think this would be a great idea and send a strong message to sports in general particularly the next time something like this comes around. Unfortunately, I don't think too many people would go along with it.

Okay, I'm in. I will attend no games next year. watch no tv next football season, not eat out or drive a car on Sunday, I also will not go to church where I pray the bills will not suck. Please tell me what else I can do to support your initiative? I agree everyone else on this board is soooo stupid.

It's the apathy of most people that allows the NFL and NFLPA to make so much money and have zero regard for its customers. That's you and me. If it's too tough for you, then don't do it. For me, I'll read a book or take the family to a movie next year when football is on. I won't miss it one bit. You're right, the Bills do suck and have for quite some time. So why is it that some people have such a hard time with the concept of not watching something that sucks?

I actually agree, I think this would be a great idea and send a strong message to sports in general particularly the next time something like this comes around. Unfortunately, I don't think too many people would go along with it.

+1

Hasn't this happened in every sport- including football? Lesson not particularly learned. Why would this time be different? Ratings will dip a tiny bit, revenue a little but overall- it'll happen again and again.

Other then a delay in FA what is the effect you have felt?

Even if anyone could remotely execute this, do you doubt each side would blame the other?

What say you to the fact that my seasons are paid for, as are tv contracts, and I don't have any effect on ratings?

I'm guessing on those ten days some of the local vendors make more than they do in an average month. Those are pretty huge bumps to an average business. Even local tourism numbers during game weekends. Big money.

Funny how those businesses seem to survive in non NFL cities. No doubt that game days give them a boost, but maybe they need to think of other ways to attract customers instead of depending on the Bills to do it for them.

boycott?....i'm hoping the whole season gets cancelled.....i'll save four season tickets worth of money and go through one less rebuilding year.

+1

You understand that it is just a game, it is entertainment, if their labor strife is causing unrest in your life then maybe you should step back and reevaluate your priorities. Also saying that people are stupid because they don't share your views is idiotic. How does anyone else spending money on football influence your life?

Get a clue solider.

Funny how those businesses seem to survive in non NFL cities. No doubt that game days give them a boost, but maybe they need to think of other ways to attract customers instead of depending on the Bills to do it for them.

+1

It's amazing how you cherry pick points to respond to. And even in doing so totally neglect formulating practical answers. Yes, in an ideal world you only hit the NFL pocketbooks. In the real world, not so. Also, I believe every league including the NFL has seen the revenue dip after a lockout and it hasnt stopped them from happening again and again. The owners would blame the players and the players blame the owners. They would all be gainfully employed and then some, and everyone from ticket sales reps, scouts, vendors, that are living paycheck to paycheck get put through the ringer. The average fan punishes themselves by not using tickets that are mostly paid for - by turning off games to hurt ratings they have no effect on. Your better off telling people that they should go to the local sports bar and pump money into the local community while enjoying the games, camaraderie and quite frankly still not effecting the ratings or tv revenue unless they are neilsen homes.

boycott jerseys if you want something that can be immediate, tangible and doesn't take away from your own enjoyment of the game. Still hurts employees in those factories but that's unavoidable In a boycott - atleast it's minimized.

Your entire premise is sour grapes and poorly thought out.

Through this all you haven't addressed how this remotely effects your life at this point though. What exactly are you seeking vengeance for? Not a single practice has been missed, yet alone game. Is the delay to FA hitting you especially hard?

Edited by NoSaint

I am 100% behind the owners in this one- they have lived up to their end by trying to guarantee veterans who have been injured are taken care of, and yet all of this comes down to money according to the union. The union went through this charade just to force the NFL into opening their books, as if they are investors or from the SEC. I am sick to death of players wanting millions of dollars a year in contracts, only to bilk owners out of their money later by engaging in off the field conduct and forcing them to recoup the money they paid out. More and more players are doing this, and even the ones who don't get into trouble are getting more and more lucrative contracts.

To summarize, screw the trade union of the NFLPA under Demaurice Smith and their greed. The current system keeps ALL NFL franchises above water and enables the players to make all the money they do. When the NFL reached out and supported the veterans with regards to health care, that to me was the final move the owners had to make. Now, Mr. Smith, you and your lawyers have ruined a perfectly good situation. :censored:

I am 100% behind the owners in this one- they have lived up to their end by trying to guarantee veterans who have been injured are taken care of, and yet all of this comes down to money according to the union. The union went through this charade just to force the NFL into opening their books, as if they are investors or from the SEC. I am sick to death of players wanting millions of dollars a year in contracts, only to bilk owners out of their money later by engaging in off the field conduct and forcing them to recoup the money they paid out. More and more players are doing this, and even the ones who don't get into trouble are getting more and more lucrative contracts.

To summarize, screw the trade union of the NFLPA under Demaurice Smith and their greed. The current system keeps ALL NFL franchises above water and enables the players to make all the money they do. When the NFL reached out and supported the veterans with regards to health care, that to me was the final move the owners had to make. Now, Mr. Smith, you and your lawyers have ruined a perfectly good situation. :censored:

You are completely wrong and have this bassackwards. The NFL never reached out and supported the Vets, the Vets had to embarrass them into providing basic coverages for horrendous life style changes effected by playing football. Tossing 80 million at this is peanuts compared to the suffering many have endured and many have died as a result. The owners, especially the new ones are avaricious, greedy, spoiled ego maniacs. The older ones aren't as avaricious but are the rest of those things. I say cancel the season, then cancel NFL and let new leagues spawn. Let's build leagues that require at least 51% local ownership. This anti-union rhetoric in the US is completely misplaced.

Again, you obviously are too stupid. A portion of your cable bill goes to the NFL, both players and owners. By not watching, ratings go down, which costs the network millions in advertising revenues. If the networks aren't making money, then they can't pay the NFL big money for the TV contract. If the league doesn't have the money, then they can't pay the players. You do have the power to hurt both the league and the players financially and the very fact that I have to explain it to you means that both you and the others are too stupid to understand the financial power that you possess. It has nothing to do with disagreeing with my opinion. That is your right and I spent 23 years defending it. If fans do not let players and owners know that we sign the checks, then they will always take us for granted and treat us like dirt. I can not believe the ignorance that people on this board display every single day. It makes me laugh. And yes I do value my own opinion, just as I value yours if it has any logic to it. Yours didn't and neither did any of the others. Mine on the other hand is well founded and makes good financial sense.

You go ahead and boycott the NFL...I'm sure millions enough would join ya to effect the NFL's revenue (that was sarcastic)...I can't wait till the season starts and I can watch Bills football!!!

It's amazing how you cherry pick points to respond to. And even in doing so totally neglect formulating practical answers. Yes, in an ideal world you only hit the NFL pocketbooks. In the real world, not so. Also, I believe every league including the NFL has seen the revenue dip after a lockout and it hasnt stopped them from happening again and again. The owners would blame the players and the players blame the owners. They would all be gainfully employed and then some, and everyone from ticket sales reps, scouts, vendors, that are living paycheck to paycheck get put through the ringer. The average fan punishes themselves by not using tickets that are mostly paid for - by turning off games to hurt ratings they have no effect on. Your better off telling people that they should go to the local sports bar and pump money into the local community while enjoying the games, camaraderie and quite frankly still not effecting the ratings or tv revenue unless they are neilsen homes.

boycott jerseys if you want something that can be immediate, tangible and doesn't take away from your own enjoyment of the game. Still hurts employees in those factories but that's unavoidable In a boycott - atleast it's minimized.

Your entire premise is sour grapes and poorly thought out.

Through this all you haven't addressed how this remotely effects your life at this point though. What exactly are you seeking vengeance for? Not a single practice has been missed, yet alone game. Is the delay to FA hitting you especially hard?

Well said. I love it how people feel slighted because FA didn't start yet. Really, the only thing the lockout has done is made the inevitable "Buddy sucks, Ralph is cheap" thread a non-issue. This is probably a good thing.

Before anyone cries foul against the NFL and suggest a grassroots boycott, just remember you'll be back in your seat/on your couch the moment the season resumes w/ no ill will to speak of.

Edited by stony

The Irish peasants protesting against their English Lord, Lord Boycott. Apt posting five days before the feast day of the last great Saint. I am all for it.

I am also for an new football league with the following rules:

1. No nets at the goal posts. All balls in the stands are free for all.

2. No jersey can sell for more than $20.

3. Beer is sold till the end of the game and that includes overtime. Beer is cut off at the half for those under 18.

4. No ticket costs more than $15.

5. Beer - $1 for a Genny, $2 for a canadian beer and Budweiser is banned.

6. No one is allowed to attend who drinks lite beer.

7. Bleacher seat section for pot smokers.

8. Players can wear shirts outside of their pants and may or may not roll up their socks. I don't care what their headband says, it is football not a Prom.

9. No player can make more than $60,000 per year and all players must be able to read and write at the eighth grade level.

10. Permanent ban for anyone not acting like a professional when they score a TD, or make a sack or make a tackle or just do what they are being paid to do.

11. No canned speeches, no thanking the Lord. Contrary to popular belief the Lord does not give a crap about football nor those that play it.

12. If the players only play for the "love of the game and not the money" they will flock to this league, otherwise they are hypocrites just like the owners.

13. The team pays rent to the city when they use a stadium.

14. Using your helmut as a missile results in a permanent ban. Cold-cocking someone earns a pay raise.

15. Panties are optional for cheerleaders.

16. Banners are allowed without censorship.

This you?

No thanks. I love capitalism and the NFL. :worthy:

They don't even have a coach or front office yet.

Hey let's apply for the job :P

When Syracuse had an indoor football team about 4 years ago, I called up and volunteered to work. I ended up working the chain gang one game and was the music guy the rest of the season when the guy they had lined up didn't show.

Oh, and I'll watch cricket.