Will you watch the CFL or UFL?

major

So nobody's TV is used for ratings, is that what you're trying to say? I am suggesting that nobody watch the games, not just me. I don't want to watch the games, that's the point. I don't care about a bunch of billionaires using a bunch of millionaires to make more money. They don't even play football that well. Most pro football players today can't even execute the basics of blocking and tackling. And the fact that people on this board don't understand the power of an economic boycott just amazes me. So go ahead, do as you please. Watch the games, feed the beast, it's your right, just as it is mine to urge people not to do it anymore.

That's right, ban someone that you don't agree with. That's a logical way to prove your point. I really don't care if people agree with me or not. It is my own opinion and unless someone can convince me with a logical argument that a boycott won't work, then I will continue to hold it. I am still waiting for someone to do that.

Amazing how they're able to estimate the number of viewers then isn't it? They can tell if nobody is watching, believe me. They will know. But hey, if you don't want to do it, then just don't. I have no problem with that at all. If you don't agree with a boycott, then simply don't do it. I will, and that is both of our rights. The fact that people are so violently opposed to me doing something I believe in just amazes me. It won't stop me though. I really don't care if no one else does it. The reason the players and owners are able to make so much money is because of the fans. That means we hold the power and people just don't seem to get it.

As somebody who is months away from finishing my second degree in math, I have to say that you guys are correct. The Nielsens have too small of a sample size to accurately speak for the American population. The way they estimate viewership of American Idol, Super Bowls and other largely viewed programs is insane, doesn't take into account the majority of internet viewers and has an impact on who gets what advertising money.

That all said, with aproximate 114 million households in America and only 25,000 (0.02% of American households) Nielsen households, you turning off your TV is probably insignificant to Ralphy, Jerry Jones, Goodell and co. For you to convince enough people to turn off their TV's to make a difference, you would need to convince 4560 households to turn off their TV's for one household on average to reflect in Nielsen ratings. So good luck with that one.

Edited by justnzane

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As somebody who is months away from finishing my second degree in math, I have to say that you guys are correct. The Nielsens have too small of a sample size to accurately speak for the American population. The way they estimate viewership of American Idol, Super Bowls and other largely viewed programs is insane, doesn't take into account the majority of internet viewers and has an impact on who gets what advertising money.

That all said, with aproximate 114 million households in America and only 25,000 (0.02% of American households) Nielsen households, you turning off your TV is probably insignificant to Ralphy, Jerry Jones, Goodell and co. For you to convince enough people to turn off their TV's to make a difference, you would need to convince 4560 households to turn off their TV's for one household on average to reflect in Nielsen ratings. So good luck with that one.

So just keep believing that you are powerless and do nothing then. I for one am using the power that I have and not watching the games. I really don't care if anyone joins me or not. I would continue to urge everyone not to watch though as I can show you statistics and history on the power of economic boycotts. They do work and consumers do have power. But hey if you believe you have no power to influence future negotiations, then just take what they give you and like it. I won't be.

So just keep believing that you are powerless and do nothing then. I for one am using the power that I have and not watching the games. I really don't care if anyone joins me or not. I would continue to urge everyone not to watch though as I can show you statistics and history on the power of economic boycotts. They do work and consumers do have power. But hey if you believe you have no power to influence future negotiations, then just take what they give you and like it. I won't be.

You are one hell of a tweaker, I must say. :worthy:

I have a suggestion too. If you're going to boycot the nfl and the Bills, which is your right, but like some others I don't really see how any of this has negatively impacted your life, it's only right you boycott everything to do with the Bills. Which would mean you should probably just stop posting here. Starting NOW, please.

You are one hell of a tweaker, I must say. :worthy:

I have a suggestion too. If you're going to boycot the nfl and the Bills, which is your right, but like some others I don't really see how any of this has negatively impacted your life, it's only right you boycott everything to do with the Bills. Which would mean you should probably just stop posting here. Starting NOW, please.

Laughing out loud. Love that you care so much about what I think. Maybe you should boycott this site so you don't have to read my posts. Oh wait, that's right, my posts aren't affecting your life at all. I love how people react to something they don't agree with. That's why I do it.

Laughing out loud. Love that you care so much about what I think. Maybe you should boycott this site so you don't have to read my posts. Oh wait, that's right, my posts aren't affecting your life at all. I love how people react to something they don't agree with. That's why I do it.

It's not that I disagree with the idea of an economic boycott of something you feel strongly about.... It's just that's not what you are describing or remotely able to accomplish with the strategy you describe. You are simply making a moral stand. If its that important to you, more power to you. There's just a laundry list of reasons that your plan isn't very effective ultimately. First and foremost being the reaction that is clearly solicited. If it's hard to get people on board for the idea, it's even more unlikely to get people to follow through. It's far easier to organize a merchandise or concession boycott if you are determined to follow through. Things that are tangible in the immediate. If jersey sales dipped 30% this march/April vs last year, that's a much larger message than people that aren't on monitored tvs changing the channel in September... Even boycotting something like the draft is more likely to accomplish because people are not as tied to viewing the product as they are viewing the game. Hell, like I've said time and again- organize viewing parties nationally and you are far more likely to impact ratings if that's your goal. Again though, it's clear that I am to stupid to understand either economics, or psychology.....

And with words like "punishment" in previous posts, I see why people get the impression you are angry. you even explicitly referenced that they had taken something away from you. what that is, none of us seem to understand.

Edited by NoSaint

Honestly, I could care less what you think.

If you love seeing how people react to something they don't agree with, you really should look in the mirror then because you certainly are reacting negatively to people that don't agree with you.

I'm guessing on those ten days some of the local vendors make more than they do in an average month. Those are pretty huge bumps to an average business. Even local tourism numbers during game weekends. Big money.

bingo...some of those businesses basically break even most of the year...weekends around Bills games are very profitable for them and allow them to thrive...losing those weekends hurts those businesses a lot...if a business struggles to make profits, jobs are likely to be cut

bingo...some of those businesses basically break even most of the year...weekends around Bills games are very profitable for them and allow them to thrive...losing those weekends hurts those businesses a lot...if a business struggles to make profits, jobs are likely to be cut

You guys are reaching quite a ways.

I would hope that the Buffalo economy is not so bad that a significant number of businesses are going to downsize or go under because of 10 days a year.

And tourism? The vast majority of season ticket holders live within a pretty tight (~100 miles) radius of the Ralph. They come to the tailgate, stay for the game, then go home. Tourism ... you guys kill me. :)

You guys and lots of others love the tailgating, and going to the games. I get it, and that's a wonderful thing. Tailgating at the Ralph (hardcore drunks not withstanding) is a lot of fun. But please stop talking about tourism issues and companies going out of business if there is no football for a season.

Besides, I can't imagine either the owners or players will let that happen. The owners are generally smart business people, they aren't going to easily let billions of potential dollars slip away. The players as a whole are smart enough as well. They will come to some agreement before the start of the season and it will be business as usual. The only disruption will be to OTAs and camp (if even that).