Robert Quinn

I believe that Robert Quinn is at the top of the Bills board. I've stated in a previous post that with inside information from Butch Davis, the Bills will be targeting Quinn in the first, Marvin Austin (also from NC)in the second rd and a QB in the third. The Bills have mentioned that they will play a hybrid defense and Quinn is the player in the draft that is able to possibly play both DE and OLB. Lindy's and the Sporting News both has him listed as a Shawne Merriman type player.

Agreed. IMO Quinn is the only OLB that fits the Bills needs early in the first round. People always go nuts over useless combine information. The combine is a chance for scouts to get up close and personal with players, watch them move, see their demeanor...The actual numbers in track and weightlifting events do not translate in anyway to on the field success.

Marshawn Lynch ran a 4.4 in the 40, yet was never considered anything close to a speed back in college. In the NFL? The guy runs with power, but can't outrun nose tackles...

James Harrison (great OLB) ran a 4.85..The guy sure looks fast when he is rushing the QB...

Larry Fitzgerald ran ran a 4.53 40....Pretty slow time for a top notch wide receiver, then why can't he be covered?

The reason? These are track events where form, timing, and track training matter. Unfortunately NONE of those things matter in the NFL.

Another thing that doesn't really matter...pro day stats. Both Jamarcus Russell and Brady Quinn got "raves" for their pro day work outs...how did that work out for them? Bottom line, watch the games, watch the tape, look at their system, watch them play against other NFL rated players....Thats how you determine if a player is good or not IMO...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a HUGE advocate for the Bills to select him with their first pick at the #3 slot. I like Peterson but I feel that we have more than adequate help in our secondary and we desperately need a playmaker on our DL. Although LB is another big need it's too early to take one at the #3 spot.

There is NOTHING in the measurables that people are in love with that would make Peterson a good pick at #3. If he is a good pick that high, it is purely because of ball skills. Revis and Asomugha are not the top two measurable guys, but to take a corner at #3, he has to play at that level. I just don't see Peterson being the best player available at #3.

Quinn has a lot of warning flags and concerns, and I don't think he will e better than Bowers and Dareus, but I think he will be an excellent football player as well. I have him about #5 on my board at the moment, and I'm not taking the #5 guy with the #3 pick.

• 3 weeks later...

pro day tomorrow

I'm not sure how much a pro day can affect a players draft status, but I do agree that it is more important for Quinn than your average player.

For being a year out of football and the worst thing you can say about the guy is that his combine was "less than spectacular," that tells me the guy's going to be a stud. I saw his combine and you couldn't tell one iota that he'd been off a year.

His body size, strength and agility on the edge hit all the check marks on what we're looking for in a 3-4 pass rushing/run stuffing OLB. I'd pick him all day over the smallish speedster Miller.

Can't wait to hear how he does.

For being a year out of football and the worst thing you can say about the guy is that his combine was "less than spectacular," that tells me the guy's going to be a stud. I saw his combine and you couldn't tell one iota that he'd been off a year.

His body size, strength and agility on the edge hit all the check marks on what we're looking for in a 3-4 pass rushing/run stuffing OLB. I'd pick him all day over the smallish speedster Miller.

Can't wait to hear how he does.

If that's the case, then you ought to be elated with Miller's performance. If Quinn "hit the check marks" then Miller obliterated them. Quinn did not outperform Miller in any category at the combine. Not a single one.

He also didn't outperform Miller on the football field (against lesser competition I might add). He's also never played OLB in a 3-4. The Quinn-over-Miller argument boils down to one thing: size. Not strength (he only managed 1 more BP rep than Miller despite being 15 lbs heavier), not performance, not speed, not agility, not fluidity, not athleticism, not consistency; just size.

No thanks, I'll take the better football player.

Edited by thebandit27

If that's the case, then you ought to be elated with Miller's performance. If Quinn "hit the check marks" then Miller obliterated them. Quinn did not outperform Miller in any category at the combine. Not a single one.

He also didn't outperform Miller on the football field (against lesser competition I might add). He's also never played OLB in a 3-4. The Quinn-over-Miller argument boils down to one thing: size. Not strength (he only managed 1 more BP rep than Miller despite being 15 lbs heavier), not performance, not speed, not agility, not fluidity, not athleticism, not consistency; just size.

No thanks, I'll take the better football player.

I saw a clip on youtube of NC against BC and Quinn was being double teamed by the LT Castanzo and the LG. Quinn literally bull dosed his way through the double team on his way to the QB, who then threw a desperation pass that was intercepted and returned to the 1 yard line.

This is what translates to being a successful 3/4 OLB NFL, not a speedy smallish OLB which is what Millers game is all about. That's not to say that Miller won't be as good or better, I just think Quinn has the better chance at being the superstar than does Miller.

Edited by 1billsfan

I believe that Robert Quinn is at the top of the Bills board. I've stated in a previous post that with inside information from Butch Davis, the Bills will be targeting Quinn in the first, Marvin Austin (also from NC)in the second rd and a QB in the third. The Bills have mentioned that they will play a hybrid defense and Quinn is the player in the draft that is able to possibly play both DE and OLB. Lindy's and the Sporting News both has him listed as a Shawne Merriman type player.

I personally think that he is perfect in a trade down scenario to try to pick up a 2nd round pick......being out for a year and the health issue (or non issue.....but teams factor that stuff in when they pick) will Push Quinn down a bit.....

We make like we are taking QB.....getting a lower team to bit....take Quinn...and pick up an additional 2nd.....which is used on a QB

I personally think that he is perfect in a trade down scenario to try to pick up a 2nd round pick......being out for a year and the health issue (or non issue.....but teams factor that stuff in when they pick) will Push Quinn down a bit.....

We make like we are taking QB.....getting a lower team to bit....take Quinn...and pick up an additional 2nd.....which is used on a QB

Thats what im praying for. Most seem to think he is a reach at #3 (I personally dont), but if we traded down around the 10th spot it's not nearly as bad, especially if your picking up an extra 2nd rounder

I've been looking alot into Robert Quinn, and have taken a liking to him. The suspension is the only obvious flag that I see. I like his size, I like that he's not a one year wonder. Sounds like he has the strength for the inside move, and his outside speed/technique could make him a great pass rusher. His work ethic is superb being a 3x state wrestling champion in high school (something not duplicated in the state in any weight class). The work ethic and personal drive are big upsides, not to mention he understands leverage very well. He was compared to Robert Mathis, saying he has the rare ability to actually accelerate on the outside move while dipping inside shoulder while engaged in block. The biggest if for me though, is do you guys think he is a fit for the 3-4? Curious about everyones thoughts on him.

From some of the clips I've seen of Quinn, he does seem to have a natural ability to dip his shoulder (ala Bruce) and make the sharp turn to the QB. Von Miller on the other hand, seems to run wide and in some of the clips I've seen of him, he's appeared to lack any signature moves, other than speed around the corner. I would take Quinn over Von Miller

any day of the week from my limited reviews of each.

The only real concern with Quinn is that he's had a brain tumor, which my mother had and what ultimately took her life three years after her surgery to remove it. I wish Robert Quinn well and if he can clear the medical guys, I would be happy to have him on board (but the medical worry would always remain).

Robert Quinn is the definition of a one-year wonder. His only good performance was in 2009. Also, another big flag is that he stockpiled sacks in games against weaker opposition. Too many red flags for me.

His rookie year wasn't bad at all and his sophomore year was great! I think people are so high on him because he looks like a great talent and if he had played his junior year he might have been considered the best player in the draft. I am not a huge fan of college football but can you elaborate on him stockpiling sacks against weaker opponents? The opponent, their record on the season, the competition they faced?

Obviously by way of my signature I would like us to take Quinn in the draft. I would like my decision to be an informed one and any information good or bad would help.

His rookie year wasn't bad at all and his sophomore year was great! I think people are so high on him because he looks like a great talent and if he had played his junior year he might have been considered the best player in the draft. I am not a huge fan of college football but can you elaborate on him stockpiling sacks against weaker opponents? The opponent, their record on the season, the competition they faced?

Obviously by way of my signature I would like us to take Quinn in the draft. I would like my decision to be an informed one and any information good or bad would help.

You say his rookie year wasn't bat at all. You're right. It was neither bad or good. It was very average. Then you go on to say you're not a huge fan of college football, which is fine. But this tells me that you're evaluating a player based off what other people say, his stats alone, or Youtube videos of him.

When people say (I've said it enough) that he accumulated his stats against inferior opponents it's a fair assessment. In his "breakout year" he...

Had all of his 11 sacks in 6 games against teams like Citadel (1 sack), East Carolina (2 sacks), Virginia (3 sacks), Georgia Southern (1 sack), Duke (3 sacks), & Boston College (1 sack).

You say his rookie year wasn't bat at all. You're right. It was neither bad or good. It was very average. Then you go on to say you're not a huge fan of college football, which is fine. But this tells me that you're evaluating a player based off what other people say, his stats alone, or Youtube videos of him.

When people say (I've said it enough) that he accumulated his stats against inferior opponents it's a fair assessment. In his "breakout year" he...

Had all of his 11 sacks in 6 games against teams like Citadel (1 sack), East Carolina (2 sacks), Virginia (3 sacks), Georgia Southern (1 sack), Duke (3 sacks), & Boston College (1 sack).

Yep that is how I evaluate players. I have had a pretty good success rate too. I make this admission freely. I don't need to see hours and hours of game film although more information never hurts. Stats don't lie but they can be misused by those with an agenda. Highlight videos don't lie either but they don't show the players weaknesses. They are the distilled down essence of the player at his best. The trick is figuring out what the player's weaknesses are and how his highlights and game will translate to the NFL.

Not being a college fan are those weak opponents in a weak conference? Again I'm not a fan. Did those teams all have losing records or play inferior opponents or something? I'm really trying to get an accurate, as possible, assessment of Quinn. I know I am in a small minority that would like to see us draft this guy but I have a feeling about him.

This is completely and totally unfair but I see Von Miller and Robert Quinn as this years Aaron Maybin and Brian Orakpo. They are completely different players but I'm just not comfortable with yet another undersized OLB with a great first step trying to play OLB or DE in a 4-3.

Yep that is how I evaluate players. I have had a pretty good success rate too. I make this admission freely. I don't need to see hours and hours of game film although more information never hurts. Stats don't lie but they can be misused by those with an agenda. Highlight videos don't lie either but they don't show the players weaknesses. They are the distilled down essence of the player at his best. The trick is figuring out what the player's weaknesses are and how his highlights and game will translate to the NFL.

Not being a college fan are those weak opponents in a weak conference? Again I'm not a fan. Did those teams all have losing records or play inferior opponents or something? I'm really trying to get an accurate, as possible, assessment of Quinn. I know I am in a small minority that would like to see us draft this guy but I have a feeling about him.

This is completely and totally unfair but I see Von Miller and Robert Quinn as this years Aaron Maybin and Brian Orakpo. They are completely different players but I'm just not comfortable with yet another undersized OLB with a great first step trying to play OLB or DE in a 4-3.

Yes, those teams aren't exactly the toughest opponents for a guy that's supposed to be a top 10 pick. And I honestly don't understand your statement comparing Miller and Quinn to Maybin and Orakpo. Can you explain your reasoning? For the record, Miller isn't really undersized to play OLB in a 3-4. If he's currently at 246, it's safe to say he can add another 10 pounds to his frame which would put him at the same size that Clay Matthews is listed at. Miller compares nothing like Maybin except for the fact that they are both fast.

Tired of you bag'n this guy. This is Quinn going to town on Anthony Castonzo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqJrjwjf55c

Give me a break, the guy was a freak as a sophmore.

Miller compares nothing like Maybin except for the fact that they are both fast.

Agreed and he doesn't even compare in speed. Miller ran something like a 4.53 in the 40 at the

combine. If I remember correctly, Maybin was close to a 4.9 and his lack of speed was blamed

on "bulking up from 225 to 245 too fast". Miller has only put on about 7 lbs since the end of

his senior year and he had 2 completely outstanding years against good competition. Indeed,

his 27 sacks the last 2 years are remarkable in the run-oriented conference that he played

in.

FWIW, ProFootballWeekly has Miller as BY FAR the highest rated player in the draft. I know that

they are not always dead-on, but neither are any draft prognosticators. I give Nolan Nawrocki

of PFW a lot of credit for doing both his own analysis AND for having a lot of NFL connections,

so he has a good pulse on the NFL's view.

Tired of you bag'n this guy. This is Quinn going to town on Anthony Castonzo...

youtube.com/watch?v=kqJrjwjf55c

Give me a break, the guy was a freak as a sophmore.

LOL if you call that going to town on Castonzo.