Bills announce uniform change

Peter

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

I enjoy your articles and your posts here but I don't get why you would ask this question. The uniforms are a marketing/sales thing and we all know it has nothing to do with improving the team. As fans we can hope for good uniforms along with a good team and understand they are in no way related. I'm guessing that's why you received some not so nice comments.

sure, but i don't understand why some would call me an ass for it. there are those here who do agree with what i've raised and haven't been called out for their comments.

evidently, i always have to have some kind of agenda. or i come at people with a condescending tone. or some posters -- such as spartacus -- just don't like me.

i've never called anyone an "ass," "moron," "idiot," or questioned their line of work. i have questioned some people's posts and especially those who post absolutes, which are open to debate.

you've explained yourself politely. don't know why others can't.

jw

i came to this thread expressing the same opinion i expressed to WBEN, which actually happened to be the first reaction i had to the news of the new uniforms. and that reaction was: how does that help the team's record? so, i posed the same question here and received plenty of feedback, much of it respectfully contrary, some of it not so respectful. i was called a bore, an ass and my professional reputation brought into question (some of those posts have since been edited).

i called no one names in this thread and offered my opinion that it was a cash grab while being surprised by how excited fans were in regards to what is essentially a style over substance change.

and once the responses leaned overwhelmingly toward support of the new uniforms, i posted, "fair enough."

you are the one who persists to question my agenda and call me an ass. wouldn't be the first time, nor the last i've been called that. i gotta thick skin, much of it surrounding my cranium, i guess.

jw

ADD: my nose is fine, by the way. always has been.

I think your opinion is correcct, this is a money grab. But, honestly, we are all Bills fans here, despite plenty of reasons not to be. So yeah, some of us (not all) get a little excited about silly things like uniforms. I don't think you were being an 'ass", or a "bore" or anything like that. I have always been repulsed by the NFL's treatment of their fans, and the transparent fact that they are out for our money, and little else. I am equally repulsed by my own inability not to fall prey to it, because I love that damn team so much...please, don't let this silliness keeep you away...the board is a better place to visit with intelligent posters...

sure, but i don't understand why some would call me an ass for it. there are those here who do agree with what i've raised and haven't been called out for their comments.

evidently, i always have to have some kind of agenda. or i come at people with a condescending tone. or some posters -- such as spartacus -- just don't like me.

i've never called anyone an "ass," "moron," "idiot," or questioned their line of work. i have questioned some people's posts and especially those who post absolutes, which are open to debate.

you've explained yourself politely. don't know why others can't.

jw

I don't get that part, either.

surprised by how excited fans were in regards to what is essentially a style over substance change.

Though I, along with many of the posters, have pointed out that getting new uniforms and achieving substantive change on the football field are not mutually exclusive, you continue to make remarks like this. Yes, the uniform change is a stylistic change. It is not, however, style over substance. If that were the case, this uniform change would take the place of any attempts to get better during this offseason.

Apparently you don't like the uniform change, fair enough. I know that as a writer, especially one that goes on public record, you're going to make your argument and have every right to back it up. That's a good thing, and adds to what makes this forum great. At this point, however, you're just teasing us. You know that a changed uniform has no impact on what the Bills will do to get better. It will neither help them nor hurt them in any significant manner.

I'm happy the Bills are changing uniform designs. I want the Bills to improve on the field even more.

Hope you stick around, I have enjoyed many of your posts in the past.

Edited by NickelCity

You seem angry.

Nothing could be further from reality. Personally, they could change uniforms, colors, etc. every week.

A tranparent money grab?

Just adding a riff to the melody that was already playing, dude.

If I recall, the owners will continue to receive TV money in case of a work stoppage so I don't see the money grab part.

That's because trying to sell new, more popular, uniforms is unrelated to a lockout. Of course, selling those new jerseys means money will exchange hands. That means someone will benefit. Who? Why?

Many teams adjust and tweak uniforms every 10 years or so.

Oh, because it is just time. Everybody knows it. Like the Steelers, Colts, and Packers change their uniforms every few years.

It is common knowledge that these unis are not popular and many are happy to go back to something close to what we are used to.

Pandering to the general market to improve sales. Hmm, yes, I think you are getting warmer...

I can not believe how many are upset over this.

... and then, I can't believe how far off the mark you are.

Though I, along with many of the posters, have pointed out that getting new uniforms and achieving substantive change on the football field are not mutually exclusive, you continue to make remarks like this. Yes, the uniform change is a stylistic change. It is not, however, style over substance.

Apparently you don't like the uniform change, fair enough. I know that as a writer, especially one that goes on public record, you're going to make your argument and have every right to back it up. That's a good thing, and adds to what makes this forum great. At this point, however, you're just teasing us. You know that a changed uniform has no impact on what the Bills will do to get better. It will neither help them nor hurt them in any significant manner.

I'm happy the Bills are changing uniform designs. I wan't the Bills to improve on the field even more.

Hope you stick around, I have enjoyed many of your posts in the past.

and see, it turns out i can't win for having an opinion and stating it without someone reading in some kind of agenda. i'm not teasing you. in fact, i was fully prepared to end adding to this thread with my "fair enough" comment, before several posters began questioning me and my motives.

now i'm teasing people.

i understand how a uniform change and a team's record can be mutually exclusive. fine. i get that. i still find no reason to be excited about a uniform change. it's not something that will greatly impact my job in covering the team as opposed to whom the Bills draft in April. so, no, i'm not all that excited about a uniform change.

the fact that you as fans are, wonderful.

and some have questioned whether my initial post here was being cynical. well ...

as for cynicism, just look at what some outsiders have tweeted in regards to this news. i saw one tweet read: "Bills change uniforms is like, ugly girl buys new dress."

as someone who eyes the bills from a national perspective, that is the general mood and opinion of those who are not tied to the bills. this franchise is a laughingstock, and would be the NFL's biggest laughingstock if not for the Lions, in my opinion.

i could have been far more cynical and far more mean in my initial post. i merely chose to ask a question and raise a point. that it was construed as being condescending or boorish of me, well, ask yourself this question.

if someone else (and i won't name a poster so not to drag anyone else into this) had raised my point, would they have been called an ass, boring and his/her line of work put in question.

in some ways, you have to understand, that i can't win here even though i was open to having a reasonable discourse. and it's something i continue to attempt to do. so i'm not exactly sure what i have to apologize for by merely raising my opinion.

jw

jw-

I never called you condescending or boorish, and was under the assumption that all of my posts were civil. I thought we were having "reasonable discourse." I understand that you are responding to many posters who disagree or take umbrage with your initial post, so I assume that some of those remarks were not directed at me.

My "teasing" comment wasn't a personal attack, I was just surprised at your choice of words ("style over substance"), after you acknowledged the 'not mutually exclusive' point/statements. I hope you didn't take it as such.

I don't view this as a win/lose game, I just enjoy talking about the Bills. I hope no one actually insinuated that you needed to apologize for anything?

EDIT:

i still find no reason to be excited about a uniform change.

It just boils down to our disagreement over this, obviously :) . Agree to disagree. I'm excited to have (hopefully) better looking/more classic Bills jerseys than the current ones. You're not excited, and that's fine. Go Bills.

Edited by NickelCity

jw-

I never called you condescending or boorish, and was under the assumption that all of my posts were civil. I thought we were having "reasonable discourse." I understand that you are responding to many posters who disagree or take umbrage with your initial post, so I assume that some of those remarks were not directed at me.

My "teasing" comment wasn't a personal attack, I was just surprised at your choice of words ("style over substance"), after you acknowledged the 'not mutually exclusive' point/statements. I hope you didn't take it as such.

I don't view this as a win/lose game, I just enjoy talking about the Bills. I hope no one actually insinuated that you needed to apologize for anything?

sorry, i was responding to not only you, but other posters and their remarks.

i did question your "teasing" comment specifically, because i'm seriously not attempting to "tease" anyone here or get a rise out of them.

though i can understand that winning and a uniform can be mutually exclusive, so can my views. i can respect why fans are excited about a new uniform, and yet i can still believe that the change in uniform -- in my sole opinion -- is more style over substance and something that does not excite me all that much.

jw

I think your opinion is correcct, this is a money grab. But, honestly, we are all Bills fans here, despite plenty of reasons not to be. So yeah, some of us (not all) get a little excited about silly things like uniforms. I don't think you were being an 'ass", or a "bore" or anything like that. I have always been repulsed by the NFL's treatment of their fans, and the transparent fact that they are out for our money, and little else. I am equally repulsed by my own inability not to fall prey to it, because I love that damn team so much...please, don't let this silliness keeep you away...the board is a better place to visit with intelligent posters...

This.. IMO, is a perfect example of the "whatever the Bills do, it's wrong" mentality. The vast majority of Bills' fans have hated the current uniforms since almost day 1. There's not been a season go by where there's not at least a dozen threads, here, started asking why or when we can get rid of them. The new FO office finally does that... and it's a money grab? Why can't it just be seen as the new FO recognizing what we fans know all too well... the uniforms are hideous and need to be changed?

Does it help the play on the field? No. But, there have been too many mistakes to count over the last decade. Changing the uniforms was one. The new FO appears to be slowly trying to correct many of those mistakes. Again, I see this as just another indication that Buddy and Co. get it.. they're trying to fix what's been broken. And, yes, the uniforms have been part of that; albeit a small part.

I really see no reason to interpret this move in any sort of negative light, at all.

as for cynicism, just look at what some outsiders have tweeted in regards to this news. i saw one tweet read: "Bills change uniforms is like, ugly girl buys new dress."

as someone who eyes the bills from a national perspective, that is the general mood and opinion of those who are not tied to the bills. this franchise is a laughingstock, and would be the NFL's biggest laughingstock if not for the Lions, in my opinion.

i could have been far more cynical and far more mean in my initial post. i merely chose to ask a question and raise a point. that it was construed as being condescending or boorish of me, well, ask yourself this question.

if someone else (and i won't name a poster so not to drag anyone else into this) had raised my point, would they have been called an ass, boring and his/her line of work put in question.

in some ways, you have to understand, that i can't win here even though i was open to having a reasonable discourse. and it's something i continue to attempt to do. so i'm not exactly sure what i have to apologize for by merely raising my opinion.

jw

Yeah.. we may be a laughing stock; but I'd rather be a laughing stock in a nice dress than a laughing stock in a clown costume.

To be honest, you're not the only one here that can't have reasonable discourse. There are a number of posters here (and I suppose everywhere) that post for the sole purpose of being contrary and trying to piss people off. So, you're not special in that regard, unfortunately. Honestly, JW, I appreciate your comments as I appreciate all intelligent, reasonable discussion. So, just put those posters on ignore (or have some fun with them), but if we all let the idiots control the asylum; then all of us that appreciate intelligent, reasonable discussion lose out.

But doesn't the ugly girl get to be excited over a new dress? Let me ask you this, if you saw an ugly girl being excited over her new dress, maybe with a group of friends that were excited for her as well, would you walk up and ask what everyone was so excited for...after all, she's still ugly??

Yes. Do you even read this board?

jw

Almost every poster on this board...scratch that...every poster on the internet has this same problem. You either get over it or stop posting. Unfortunate, but true.

Personally, I find it literally incomprehensible that someone couldn't differentiate style and substance being seperate issues, so your first few posts very much sounded to me like someone trying to stir up trouble. Maybe it's just as baffling to me that you didn't understand that right from the start as it is to you that people are excited over the news. I easily understand people not being the list bit interested or excited over the uniform change, just not that those same people wouldn't be able to figure out why someone could be.

Everything else aside, if you do in fact read this board with any consistency, it should come as absolutely no surprise to you that you were blasted for trying to insert a opposing opinion to the groups excitement. That's as normal as the sun rising in the east. Sorry, but I find it odd that as a human living in the internet age, in addition to a professional writer, you take these things so personally.

This.. IMO, is a perfect example of the "whatever the Bills do, it's wrong" mentality. The vast majority of Bills' fans have hated the current uniforms since almost day 1. There's not been a season go by where there's not at least a dozen threads, here, started asking why or when we can get rid of them. The new FO office finally does that... and it's a money grab? Why can't it just be seen as the new FO recognizing what we fans know all too well... the uniforms are hideous and need to be changed?

Does it help the play on the field? No. But, there have been too many mistakes to count over the last decade. Changing the uniforms was one. The new FO appears to be slowly trying to correct many of those mistakes. Again, I see this as just another indication that Buddy and Co. get it.. they're trying to fix what's been broken. And, yes, the uniforms have been part of that; albeit a small part.

I really see no reason to interpret this move in any sort of negative light, at all.

It's definitely a money grab, but sometimes those are a good thing.

Relax...I am all for the change, for the reasons I mentioned, and those that you mention. Not sure if you read my whole poist. But, you are being naive if you don't think that the Bills/NFL are already trying to project how this change will effect merchandise sales. If they were doing it solely for the reason that everyone hates the new (now old) uniforms, they would have done it a while ago...or they would be asking fans to vote on what they want a new uniform to look like. It on Its' a "win-win" as far as I am concerned. Those of us who care about the Buffalo Bills, I think, realize, the Bills have to compete in more ways than just on the field to remain viable in Buffalo.