Greatest season by Bills rookie

Charles Romes

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All excellent choices. Shaw won rookie of the year. Byrd led the league in pics. Cribbs make a big impact. Bennett was an impact player from the start. Butler was great from the start.

Some others: Joe Ferguson Shane Conlan, Nate Odomes, and Rueben Brown all had strong rookie seasons too.

Edited by Bob in STL

Joe Cribbs

That's who I'd pick too. They were the worst running team in the league the year before, and he put up nearly 1200 yards and 11 TD's (and 1600 yards from scrimmage).

A hard running do-it-all little guy who made people forget Terry Miller really quick.

That's who I'd pick too. They were the worst running team in the league the year before, and he put up nearly 1200 yards and 11 TD's (and 1600 yards from scrimmage).

A hard running do-it-all little guy who made people forget Terry Miller really quick.

[/quote

Terry Miller had 1,060 yards.. TD's.. Avg 4.5 y/a.. 22 receptions... 246 yards... Not too shabby but Cribbs replaced him pretty quick..

Terry Miller had 1,060 yards.. 7 TD's.. Avg 4.5 y/a.. 22 receptions... 246 yards... Not too shabby but Cribbs replaced him pretty quick..

I agree with everybody who voted for Cribbs. He was a real force his first year. Thurman took till his 2nd year to get to that level, and OJ took a few years.

Conlan would have a good argument, too........And, Biscuit would be the choice if he played the whole season (and that was already a strike season as it is).

NFL network just ran a show listing the best NFL rookie seasons of all time. Moss #1, Dickerson #2. What is the greatest rookie season by a Bill. I'm going with the Biscuit.

great question...I'd say a biscuit(too bad he never reached those heights again-coulda been an all time great) with Cribbs,Joe D and Dubenion tied for second.

great question...I'd say a biscuit(too bad he never reached those heights again-coulda been an all time great) with Cribbs,Joe D and Dubenion tied for second.

No doubt Biscuit looked like he was going to be all timer that year. I don't think I ever saw as dominant of a defensive game as the season ender against the Eagles.

All excellent choices. Shaw won rookie of the year. Byrd led the league in pics. Cribbs make a big impact. Bennett was an impact player from the start. Butler was great from the start.

Some others: Joe Ferguson Shane Conlan, Nate Odomes, and Rueben Brown all had strong rookie seasons too.

I would have to debate that Joe Ferguson's rookie year was of any redeeming value, even for a rookie. He had a 44% completion rate, less than 12 passes attempted per game, 4 tds against 10 interceptions, and a QB rating of 45.8.

Yes, he was reasonably proficient in handing off to OJ and Braxton though.

Strongly inclined to agree with the flashy little guy from Auburn, selected with a 2nd round pick from SF for OJ.

But...

There was this 17th round Tight End from McNeese State, who started every game a rookie, made All Pro for the next 3 seasons, only lasted 7 seasons and SHOULD BE IN THE HOF!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sestak

I don't know if the stats are that remarkable, but Thurman Thomas had everyone real excited. Plus, the excitement turned out to be warranted.

I have a Thurman Thomas Topps "Super Rookie" card. He had 207 attempts, for 881 yards and a 4.3 yard avg. Pretty good but not great.