After reading some comments and thinking about what the Bills might do

Aloha22

It seems the Bills will see even more turnover this year. With the release of Marcus Stroud I think other releases are eminent. I think Drayton Florence may be let go, and in his place, the Bills will sign Cromartie who was drafted by the Chargers with Nix on that draft team. Also an old teammate of Merriman, maybe there is some influence between he and Nix.

The Bills seem to want to bolster the size, strength and personnel in that front 7. The Bills also seem to be keen on getting after a quarterback, soon! Cam Newton is appearing to be leapfrogging his way to the top of draft boards and Buffalo has been pegged as a perfect landing choice for him. Why not? He has all the tools, top honors and is a play-maker. The guy is an athletic monster, and with the guidance of Cortez and especially Gailey, there is no reason why Cam Newton shouldn't be an elite quarterback in this league.

This takes me to the draft.

With all that being said,

Buffalo selects Cam Newton with the #3 overall selection.

From there, the Bills spend rounds 2 and 3 similar to last year drafting a DE and a DT or NT.

In the second round, depending on whose available the Bills should select either Watt, Paea, Taylor, Kerrigan, Sheard, or Heywardn roughly in that order.

In the third round, depending on what position was taken the Bills could look to go after Allen Bailey, Marvin Austin, Jarvis Jenkins, Jerrell Powe, or Kenrick Ellis.

Round four will also be an important round as the Bills have 2 4th round selections. Maybe the Bills could package these two picks and get back into the 3rd round to grab D.J. Williams or Kendricks. If they don't want to move up into the third to grab a tight end, they may choose to use the picks on alternative positions and go after a tight end in free agency (not sure who is being retained but some good players such as Owen Daniels, Kevin Boss, Bo Scaife, Zack Miller and Marcedes Lewis who I think the Bills need to break bank for. If the Bills can land Lewis, that would be a huge boost to the offense.

Getting back to round 4, the Bills could look at cornerbacks and linebackers going with Jalil Brown/Burney/Lindsey at CB position and McCarthy/Sheppard/Mason Foster or K.J. Wright at LB.

Later rounds depending on who is selected, we could see more secondary depth, possibly another wideout and possibly test an o-lineman, or always another huge NT.

5th - ideally BPA but possible: SS Keo/Clifford, WR Moore/Gates/Salas, NT Anthony Gray, LB: Casey Matthews/Chris Carter

6th - BPA

7th - BPA

There is absolutely no way Casey Matthews falls to the 5th round. He'll go 3rd round at the latest, and thats pushing it

Yeah, I have been saying this several times too...I keep seeing all these posters talking about getting Mathews in the 4th or 5th round when there is no way he lasts that long...

I just think he is valued a little more now based off the the Championship game. He isn't very big, or quick and the players value is going to be determined by how much a team values that player in a given round and if they think he can last til their next pick.

There is really no way of knowing if someone values him as a 3rd rounder or a 6th rounder until draft day. Today its pure speculation

there is no reason why Cam Newton shouldn't be an elite quarterback in this league.

I won't even get into the MAJOR character issues concerning this guy. How about the 26-27-60 rule for evaluating NFL QB's? It may not be an exact scientific formula for predicting pro success, but Newton already fails the second requirement by a full season's worth of experience. Teams may be willing to roll the dice on this one particular deficiency, but not if he doesn't at least score in the 20's on the Wonderlic test. No amount of physical skill at the QB position can overcome an inability to mentally handle the speed and complexity of the NFL.

I almost pissed myself I laughed so hard at this...

Who better to coach up Cam than some guy who had to spend 18 seasons in Canada after getting run out of town as a college QB coach?

lets be honest Chan coaches the QB's like Cameron does with Baltimore thats why you go 12-4 and fire the so called qb coach all he ends up doing is breaking down film for the real qb coach which in these two cases is the o-coordinator for baltimore and head coach for Buffalo

I think the main thing everyone's forgetting is that if there's no CBA, then there's no free agency! There might not even be a free agency period, so going after all those TEs might not be possible

I don't think anyone's forgetting. But if you want to discuss football you have to mentally skip over that issue, for the sake of discussion. You could give your response for every thread on every website.

Think Nix values guys who produce more than 1 year. I remember him saying that Phillip Rivers was the surest thing he ever scouted and mentioned that he won 4 Bowl games and was MVP of every one of those games. We also didn't take any underclassmen in the draft last year. Maybe Newton has the talent to be the exception to the rule, but more than likely 4 year guys like Cameron Jordan or Von Miller will be the pick.

Think Nix values guys who produce more than 1 year. I remember him saying that Phillip Rivers was the surest thing he ever scouted and mentioned that he won 4 Bowl games and was MVP of every one of those games. We also didn't take any underclassmen in the draft last year. Maybe Newton has the talent to be the exception to the rule, but more than likely 4 year guys like Cameron Jordan or Von Miller will be the pick.

As much as Newton intrigues me (and he does), I think you're probably right. The one thing that could derail that though is Ralph. He still has final say in who gets picked, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If he really wants a QB, they'll take one. Probably at 3.

The underclassmen who could also sneak past Nix's normal stance is Quinn. I fully expect him to have a phenomenal pro-day/combine and shoot right up into the mix in the top 5. And I for one would love to see him in a Bills' uniform next season ... whatever that uniform ends up looking like.

lets be honest Chan coaches the QB's like Cameron does with Baltimore thats why you go 12-4 and fire the so called qb coach all he ends up doing is breaking down film for the real qb coach which in these two cases is the o-coordinator for baltimore and head coach for Buffalo

Lets also be honest in recognizing that though it is Cam himself with O guru work which coaches the QB, his past MO is to work with a vet (often a failed vet) like Fiedler, Kordell, others to mold the QB capable of taking a team to the playoffs.

Fitzy is in many ways the prototype Gailey project-

1. Has been around both watching and starting a few games

2. Did somethings well but enough of a failure in his previous play that no one else was going to lay out big bucks for him to be a starter.

2. Smart as whip according to Wonderlic and other measures.

I do not know the details of Gailey's career, but if anyone knows of any specific history of Gailey recently training a rookie into a winner with his schemes I would love to be educated on this.

Some mocks don't have Watt making it out of the top-10, so it seems a stretch, to say the least, that he makes it out of the first round entirely.

It wouldn't happen without a trade-down, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Bills grab Watt with their first pick. A big kid (6-6 290) from a big program who has shown the ability to take over games, not to mention an ideal fit for the 5-technique in an odd front, there's a lot to like about him in Buffalo.

My choice would still be Marcell Dareus at #3 (even if Fairley is on the board), but if a trade-down presented itself, I don't think it would be a huge step down to draft J.J. Watt in the middle of the round.

Buffalo selects Cam Newton with the #3 overall selection.

From there, the Bills spend rounds 2 and 3 similar to last year drafting a DE and a DT or NT.

So your plan for improving is to keep drafting the same 2 positions in round 2 and 3??? And this gets us ahead now?? After you take a rookie QB who will probably be on the bench for at least a year.

And in their 3-4, Dwan Edwards, Torrell Troupe, and Alex Carrington are now on the bench? I'm assuming you're letting Kyle Williams stick around, right?

So basically in your construction, 4 of our 4 top personnel moves last season (picks 1,2,3 and top FA signing) resulted in backup players. Awesome.

Meanwhile, the team doesn't improve at LB, TE, OL, WR?? Arguably every one of those a position of need greater than DL or QB.

Edited by BobChalmers

With Florence being a FA and McGee getting old and McKelvin not proving he's up for it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills Draft Patrick Peterson #3. He's got the size and strength at the CB position that he could be a very dominate player for the Bills. Oh and everyone will hate me for this. He's a good return guy :P