Ralph's thoughts on the CBA, the team, the draft

Beerball

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things stand out:

"I've made a lot of mistakes with my team in the last 10 years,'' Wilson said.

Apology accepted, bitterly and reluctantly, but accepted. Thanks for owning up Ralph.

"I think it will take two or three years to have a playoff team -- and that's if we get a quarterback."

Interesting that he still feels this way heading into the draft...

This quote from Ralph made me laugh...

concerning Cam Newton,

"Well, he's very athletic. But it's the intangibles. We've had a number of quarterbacks that could throw the ball 100 yards and right into your stomach. But then they got into games and threw it 100 yards into the other team's stomach."

Interesting he says that we can get to the playoffs but we need a qb. No matter what they say from 1 bills drive, I do not believe for a second this organization is sold on Fitz. I don't know though, I just do not think there is a qb in this draft worth taking with the number 3 pick. They need to fix the run defense. They are never going to beat the better teams if they are giving up 200yrds a game on the ground to them. I would take that big sucker from Auburn if he is there at number 3 & worry about the qb in the 2nd/3rd round. Fitz is relatively young, he still has an upside. For people saying he is what he is, last year statistically speaking he put up numbers comparable to Kelly's better seasons. I think we could win with him. Got to fix the defense first.

Thomas George. New name to me, but a writing style I admire. The article was about Ralph and from Ralph during a 'sit down'. No personal opinions offered, no sucking up and no attitude shown by the journalist. Just the story from and about the invited guest.

How refreshing! :thumbsup:

Two things stand out:

Apology accepted, bitterly and reluctantly, but accepted. Thanks for owning up Ralph.

"I think it will take two or three years to have a playoff team -- and that's if we get a quarterback."

Sounds like Wilson is anything but satisfied with the play of Ryan Fitzpatrick which is good to hear.

My hopes are Cam Newton will continue to impress and be a Buffalo Bill one day soon.

Thanks ball of Beer

Edited by Fig Newton

Two things stand out:

Wow, that has to make Fitz feel like crap

Two things stand out:

The last ten years??

Mr. Wilson seems have forgotten this:

CAROLYN THOMPSON Associated Press Writer

AP Online

07-14-1998

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) _ Buffalo Bills quarterback Rob Johnson signed a $25 million, five-year deal Tuesday that includes a franchise-record $8.5 million signing bonus.

Bills owner Ralph Wilson said it was one game, Johnson's only NFL start, that convinced him to bank on the 25-year-old, acquired from Jacksonville in February in exchange for Buffalo's first- and fourth-round draft picks.

``He's got a great arm. He's got great mobility,'' Wilson said, ``and right now he's got a lot of money.''

and of course, this:

October 26, 1998|From Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Doug Flutie has been hearing for years about all of his alleged limitations. Winning doesn't appear to be one of them.

For now, Coach Wade Phillips is sidestepping the issue. Team owner Ralph Wilson, who signed both Flutie and Johnson in the off-season, said the fact that Johnson has the bigger contract doesn't necessarily mean the Bills should play him.

"It has nothing to do with money," a smiling Wilson said in the Bills' locker room.

Interesting he says that we can get to the playoffs but we need a qb. No matter what they say from 1 bills drive, I do not believe for a second this organization is sold on Fitz. I don't know though, I just do not think there is a qb in this draft worth taking with the number 3 pick. They need to fix the run defense. They are never going to beat the better teams if they are giving up 200yrds a game on the ground to them. I would take that big sucker from Auburn if he is there at number 3 & worry about the qb in the 2nd/3rd round. Fitz is relatively young, he still has an upside. For people saying he is what he is, last year statistically speaking he put up numbers comparable to Kelly's better seasons. I think we could win with him. Got to fix the defense first.

Not really comparing apples to apples.

Granted, the buck stops at RW but John Butler made that deal happen.

GO BILLS!!!

Nope:

Bills owner Ralph Wilson said it was one game, Johnson's only NFL start, that convinced him to bank on the 25-year-old, acquired from Jacksonville in February in exchange for Buffalo's first- and fourth-round draft picks.

Butler "made it happen" because his boss told him to.

FITZ SUCKS. He just doesn't suck as bad as any of the other QBs we've had since Kelly.

Anybody who is sold on Fitz being the longterm answer for the Bills at QB, please identify yourself so I can add you to my ignore list since you clearly no absolutely nothing about winning football.

I don't understand how anybody can be surprised by this. The #1 priority for any NFL franchise to identify and acquire a franchise QB. We don't currently have one so it should not surprise anybody that Ralph wants to go find one.

Well...time to redo my draft board

"It will take 2 or 3 years to have a playoff team"

Translation: We are taking a QB.....but that QB will sit behind veteran Fitz and learn while we biuld the rest of the team

"We need a QB"

Translation: Fitz isnt the guy. And if Fitz isnt the guy and it gonna take 2 years to be a playoff team...then they are taking a QB now

Its gonna be Cam Newton

FITZ SUCKS. He just doesn't suck as bad as any of the other QBs we've had since Kelly.

Anybody who is sold on Fitz being the longterm answer for the Bills at QB, please identify yourself so I can add you to my ignore list since you clearly no absolutely nothing about winning football.

Easy tiger.

I don't understand how anybody can be surprised by this. The #1 priority for any NFL franchise to identify and acquire a franchise QB. We don't currently have one so it should not surprise anybody that Ralph wants to go find one.

There is not a QB in this draft that is worth the number #3 pick. There's just not. Why force the issue? Fix the run defense with Fairly(sp) & roll the dice with either Locker/Ponder/Kapernick in the 2nd round if you are hell bent on grooming a QB. Those guys have just as much chance to succeed in the NFL as Newton & Gabbert imo.

My guess is John from Hemmet is right though. Newton is going to wow everybody at the combine/pro day & he is going to be a Bill this spring. That is fine. They better figure out how to fix the defense with the rest of the draft/free agency though.

Sounds like Wilson is anything but satisfied with the play of Ryan Fitzpatrick which is good to hear.

My hopes are Cam Newton will continue to impress and be a Buffalo Bill one day soon.

Thanks ball of Beer

Hah Hah Hah! Wishful thinking!

Apparently you didn't read this gem:

And here is what Wilson had to say about speculation that the Bills will select Auburn quarterback Cam Newton with the draft's No. 3 pick:

"Well, he's very athletic. But it's the intangibles. We've had a number of quarterbacks that could throw the ball 100 yards and right into your stomach. But then they got into games and threw it 100 yards into the other team's stomach. There's time. We'll learn more about him. Just like with this labor agreement, you just can't predict.''